ORAS OU ORAS OU Rain Team

This is literally my very first competitive team, and I actually just started to get into it this past week, but I am by no means new to Pokemon, or the competitive scene in other strategy games, but any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Politoed (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Perish Song
- Scald
- Rest
- Toxic

Of course every rain team needs this guy to begin the shenanigans the team thrives on. I opted for Perish Song over Encore to synergise with Goodra's Infestation, and Toxic and Rest for Stalling purposes as well as dealing with bulky mons. The EV spread was designed so that he can take a few hits so that rain can be reset whenever needed.

Swampert (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 256 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Swampert fills the whole of a physical sweeper as well as filling the slot for a mega. Earthquake and Waterfall for STAB and Ice Punch for type coverage and Power-Up Punch for that pesky Ferrothorn on the opponent's rain team. I decided for max speed to catch my opponent by surprise as I don't think Swampert is the first mon to prepare for in combating rain teams.

Ferrothorn (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

I'm still undecided between this and Forretress btw, but anywho I fell like this is an auto include on rain teams. Gyro Ball is there for Fairy types, Power Whip for STAB, and Stealth Rock for mons that like to switch or set up. Outside of the obvious use of Leech Seed I also use it as a psudeo-Wish move to aid other mons when needed. EV spread for longevity. I chose Rocky Helmet to deal more damage with the item, stealth rock, and leech seed compiled together. Spikes > Power Whip maybe.

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Superpower

I also feel as though this mon is seen a lot on rain teams. Hurricane because of its accuracy in the rain and to take out Grass types, Taunt to deal with set ups, Superpower for type coverage, and U-turn for type coverage as well as getting Poli (or another mon) out in a pinch. The EV spread was designed in mind with its moveset. It sorta fills the role as a tactian of the team as it deals with a lot that most of the other team cannot.

Kingdra (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump

Designed to fit the role as a special sweeper of the team. EV spread for max speed and damage, and choice specs for even more damage. Scald for STAB and status, Hydro Pump and Draco Meteor for STAB, and Ice Beam for type coverage. I was pondering between this and Luditrollo, and still unsure. I'm feeling indifferent towards Kingdra during tests so maybe you could provide insight on this decision.

Goodra (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Rain Dance
- Dragon Pulse
- Infestation

Originally had a bulky Goodra that sorta acted as a second Poli but found it redundant and decided to go with what you see here. Infestation to avoid switching out from Perish Song, Thunder for its accuracy in the rain and to take out bulky Water types, Rain Dance for the obvious (still may be redundant?), and Dragon Pulse for STAB. Overall, I've been feeling impartial to this mon and am starting to lean toward Dry Skin Heliosk, but unsure.

Last edited by a moderator:

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hi, welcome to Smogon! I'll have to lock this for the time being as your descriptions are lacking and not up to the standard required by the RMT rules. You need to provide in-depth descriptions for each Pokemon to explain your choices and their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at other RMTs and the RMT archive to see the detail and format we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Edit: Reopened

Last edited:
Mega-Swampert is the first thing people look at on a rain team, he's arguably the most devastating rain sweeper in the game. I run Rain Dance on my Mega-Swampert over a fighting type move, but I'd run Superpower over Power-up Punch if you are going to run fighting coverage. It just hits harder and does it's job better, Swampert doesn't need the extra attack. I personally love Encore on Politoed because he can get your sweepers in really quickly and I don't find the need to run perish song because when you're running a rain team like this it's basically hyper offense anyway and you have no problem out speeding and eliminating checks and counters.

I have a very similar rain team I built a while ago. I would keep Kingdra, but switch out Hydro Pump for Dragon Pulse. I usually use Kingdra at the end as a cleaner once the other team is weakened and just running Draco Meteor can take away from that purpose.
Personally I don't love Goodra on this team and I'd run Klefki over it. It's a better rain setter with prankster, stacks spikes which your team will love, and has access to Thunder Wave. I'd run this set

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Careful Nature
252hp/4Def/252Spd
-Spikes
-Rain Dance
-Thunder Wave
-Play Rough

I'd also change your Politoed to Specially Defensive as it can sponge a lot of special hits and that's usually what will be threating it.

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Calm Nature
248Hp/164Spd/96Spe
-Scald
-Toxic
-Rest
_Encore

Other than that cool team! Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)