Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

With Amoonguss being quite popular of late, why aren't people running Psychic as coverage on M-Diancie, specifically on teams with Mag support? I understand that it's a niche option but Earth Power is essentially only for Heatran and it's a commonly slashed coverage move.
???? Tangrowth is the Grass-type being favoured instead of Amoonguss because it can take on physical attackers like Mega Lop and Excadrill better.

Mega Diancie has no room for it normally. It has Diamond Storm, Moonblast, Hidden Power Fire and Protect. Earth Power is rarely used nowadays. For whatever its worth, Diamond Storm 2HKOes Amoonguss after Rocks anyway.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I remember running Psychic Mega Diancie for MVenu in the past. The biggest issue with the set is that it forces you to run the worse max SpA variant and opens up weaknesses to other 'mons which is just irritating a lot of the time. I'd rather carry HP Fire, SR, Sharpen or Rock Polish in the filler slot that HP Fire normally occupies honestly. Earth Power maybe too depending on how much Rachi takes.

Building a good stall team takes a lot of trial and error in understanding how offensive trends work, some are weak to trap Tran, others drop like flies to sub Kyurem B and then there is hellspawn Manaphy, specs Keldeo and Rest Heracross. It takes a lot of trial and error to create positive match ups to all of those, and even more trial and error to learn how to predict sets in order to identify a wincon.

I'd say stick to balance for a while and once you see how some cores work then try stall based archetypes.

I can't believe there are still people that think stall is a no brainer switch happy playstyle...If people really tried to build one from start they would realize how hard it is to actually keep a stall team relevant on a Metagame with so many different wincon for offense.
Since you helped me so much already, if you don't mind looking at it, I just posted a RMT of a bulky offense I made (i went for a sand build, since I like that idea :P ), and let me know what you think :)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/first-sand-offense.3583618/

While we're kind of on the topic of Amoongus, it's pretty helpful at shutting down certain threats more effectively than Tangrowth can, particularly Azumarill and Clefable. It's also great with Tyranitar, they pair nicely. Spore is also a more reliable sleeping move than Sleep Powder on Tangrowth.

But yeah usually Tangrowth is the better choice, it fits in on more teams easier than Amoongus.

Last edited:

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
i think comparing amoonguss to tangrowth is just generally a Not Good thing to do because they check different stuff despite both being defensive grasses. Also stun spore amoonguss isnt that passive and actually does a good job of punishing people who assume latios/talon/torn are safe switches after its used its spore (though you do kind of miss being able to check ferro due to lack of hp fire).

What is the "Vincune" set of Suicune?
Niagara (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 16 SpA / 40 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Protect

Protect + Substitute + Pressure allows it to PPwast all defensive checks, mainly Power Whip and Giga Drain. Also works for Seismic Toss Chansey fwiw. That was my main wincond against ABR stall or anything similar. Full HP allows to tank a seismic toss with a sub, 200 Speed to sub before taunt/toxic from Heatran, 40 SpD to have the best shot at tanking Volt Switch Rotom-W with +1 Sub (10/16). The 16 remaining in Spa because Scald is spammable if needed.

This set was posted by Vinc2612

What are important speed benchmarks for heatran to reach? i want it to be as specially bulky as possible while being able to outspeed important threats.
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

thanks

What are the current meta trends? More specifically, I'm looking for mons which are heavily used, coverage moves heavily used, playstyles heavily used, and teams heavily used (i.e. some birdspam team with Azelf and some Mega Medicham team which features SpDef Rachi).

Also, is there some place in the forums where I could find meta trends, so I don't have to keep asking here?

EDIT: I'm mostly concerned w/ high-ladder play – mid-ladder is so unpredictable I can't tell who's gonna do what.

On that note, where does "mid ladder" start and end? I just wanna know when I should try a team that actually counters meta trends.

Last edited:
What are the current meta trends? More specifically, I'm looking for mons which are heavily used, coverage moves heavily used, playstyles heavily used, and teams heavily used (i.e. some birdspam team with Azelf and some Mega Medicham team which features SpDef Rachi).

Also, is there some place in the forums where I could find meta trends, so I don't have to keep asking here?

EDIT: I'm mostly concerned w/ high-ladder play – mid-ladder is so unpredictable I can't tell who's gonna do what.

On that note, where does "mid ladder" start and end? I just wanna know when I should try a team that actually counters meta trends.
Heya. You can find the usage stats of each months here: http://www.smogon.com/stats/2016-08/ou-1825.txt You can use the same link every time, and just change the "08" in the current link to the according month. If a month doesn't work (like "09" for September atm), the stats haven't been uploaded yet.

Apart from usage stats, which show you the Pokemon that are actually used on ladder, you can also join everyone else in discussing the current meta here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-metagame-discussion.3573990/page-14#post-7011919
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-metagame-discussion.3573990/page-14#post-7011919
Edit: Playstyles and teams are mostly just a read-between-the-lines of the usage stats. But in general, you can expect to meet 95% Bulky and Hyper Offense, 4% Balance and 1% Semistall and Stall (actually, there's only one REALLY successful stall team, which is ABR's afaik)

Is Psycho Cut a viable alternative to Zen Headbutt for Mega Medicham? I don't see it listed in its Smogon analysis. I know it's not as powerful, but it's 100% accurate, it has a high crit ratio, and it doesn't make contact so you can freely use it on mons with Flame Body/Rough Skin/Rocky Helmet/ etc. with impunity.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is Psycho Cut a viable alternative to Zen Headbutt for Mega Medicham? I don't see it listed in its Smogon analysis. I know it's not as powerful, but it's 100% accurate, it has a high crit ratio, and it doesn't make contact so you can freely use it on mons with Flame Body/Rough Skin/Rocky Helmet/ etc. with impunity.
You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. This is because Zen Headbutt's primary target is Clefable, and Zen Headbutt is better for handling it:

VS. PhysDef Unaware:
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 192-226 (48.8 - 57.5%) -- 50% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Psycho Cut vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 168-198 (42.7 - 50.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 192-226 (48.8 - 57.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Psycho Cut vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 168-198 (42.7 - 50.3%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

VS. PhysDef MG
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 192-226 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 168-198 (42.6 - 50.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I've been seeing two Dugtrio teams that have been infesting the OU ladder lately, trying to make everyone fear the Stall. Specifically, these two:
Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Rest

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Defog
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 20 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Roost
Sableye @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Fake Out

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Roar
- Calm Mind

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
By the way, whoever invented these must really enjoy serving the Stall.

Is there a mon/mons that can help me deal with both these teams at the same time, either by eliminating Dugtrio or outright 6-0ing it (or otherwise dealing heavy damage to it)? I do know that Crawdaunt can put in work, but I'm looking to see if there are other ways. I would prefer no Mega Evolutions, because my Mega is already occupied with a personal favorite :).

Martin

I've been seeing two Dugtrio teams that have been infesting the OU ladder lately, trying to make everyone fear the Stall. Specifically, these two:
Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Rest

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Defog
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 20 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Sableye @ Sablenite
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Roost
Sableye @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Fake Out

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Roar
- Calm Mind

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
By the way, whoever invented these must really enjoy serving the Stall.

Is there a mon/mons that can help me deal with both these teams at the same time, either by eliminating Dugtrio or outright 6-0ing it (or otherwise dealing heavy damage to it)? I do know that Crawdaunt can put in work, but I'm looking to see if there are other ways. I would prefer no Mega Evolutions, because my Mega is already occupied with a personal favorite :).
The Shed team clicks X vs. Stallbreaker Togekiss

Martin

What does the term "raw count" in the usage statistics mean ?
I'm 90% sure that raw refers to the total number of a Pokémon used in that month. For instance, according to the August 2016 usage stats Landorus-T has a RAW value of 1175249. This means that Landorus-T was used in 1175249 OU battles during August.

I'm 90% sure that raw refers to the total number of a Pokémon used in that month. For instance, according to the August 2016 usage stats Landorus-T has a RAW value of 1175249. This means that Landorus-T was used in 1175249 OU battles during August.
Oh thanks that is what I had assumed too but I was not too sure because I saw in the usage statistics some crazy stuff regarding raw count.

wow i just got shut down this place is so organized thats awesome. I have a question, whats your favorite Pokemon party combo and item combo and if you were a gym leader what type would you choose?

wow i just got shut down this place is so organized thats awesome. I have a question, whats your favorite Pokemon party combo and item combo and if you were a gym leader what type would you choose?
It is not the right place to ask. You could go to the Orange Islands Forum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)