Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
What is the best playstyle atm?
Best mega for that playstyle?
offense is quite good atm due to hoopa absolutely destroying a lot of stall and balance builds. some good megas for offense include lopunny, alakazam, scizor, manectric, and swampert (on rain offense, which beats all the offense on ladder)

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Band and DD are plenty viable. Band is probably its best set at the moment because of how hard it hits.

Like I said before, its biggest draw (Band, that is) is that it's low maintenance. Unlike a lot of wallbreakers, it doesn't need to set up or even predict much, since everything gets hit absurdly hard by it.

So last generation, Ninetales and Politoed were bumped up to OU because they were the only OU- legal setters of sun and rain, respectively. This made them pivotal players in the "weather wars" that dominated Gen V. Now weather has been nerfed, and Ninetales has fallen back into disuse... but Politoed has not.

Granted, Politoed is still the only Drizzle user in the game aside from Kyogre, while Drought can now be summoned by Mega Zard Y. But Zard Y takes up a mega slot and its mega stone disallows it from holding a Heat Rock, so I can't imagine it's typically used as a sun setter when it has better things to do.

Why has Politoed's niche kept it viable in OU, while Ninetales's niche hasn't? Is Rain just superior to Sun, or does it have better abusers?
The introduction of Talonflame was also problematic for sun, as Chlorophyll mons, Sun's main way of sweeping, are taken out by Flying STAB, and other mons found on sun, like Scarftran lacking reliable ways to break through it. However, a well-built sun team is incredibly dangerous, it just is less used than rain.

So there's all this talk about "late-game cleaners" and stuff that works well enough once checks are weakened. Is there anything that actually can consistently fulfil the role of the classic sweeper, where all you need to do is let it get in and watch it wreck stuff?

So there's all this talk about "late-game cleaners" and stuff that works well enough once checks are weakened. Is there anything that actually can consistently fulfil the role of the classic sweeper, where all you need to do is let it get in and watch it wreck stuff?
Honestly think only hoopa

I think you are thinking of wallbreakers. Stuff like Kyurem B, Mega Gardevoir, Charizard Y, Hoopa U, Mega Heracross etc can all destroy switchins, but sweepers typically need a turn of setup before they start pounding away. Anything can sweep under the right circumstances, but most unbroken mons require checks weakened before that actually takes place.

Well, not quite? Hoopa is not a sweeper, it's a wallbreaker. It can kill something, but it's slow and physically frail enough that it won't be able to walk through teams (at least not all in one sitting), because after its first kill something will come in, outspeed and destroy it. I'm not quite clear on the distinction between cleaner and sweeper, but I guess that you could say something to the effect that a sweeper should be able to clean some (although not all) defensive cores while being fast enough to outspeed attempts at revenging. Think Zard X or M-Alt after a DD. On the other hand, a cleaner gets in against a weakened team and works from there -- it assumes that it wouldn't be able to break past defensive mons at full HP. Like, something like Serperior might find itself walled by, say, Heatran usually, but if said stops have been weakened slightly it'll just muscle through them because the 2HKOs that would've ended the sweep are turned into OHKOs.

...I think.

In Ubers, we have "Silly things which screwed you over on the Ladder thread" and in OM, we have "Silly things you have seen on Other Metagames.".

Why do we not have it in OU (just to have a little laugh, not to belittle players) ? After all, Pokemon is just a game so shouldn't we let our hair down and have fun on occasions?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
In Ubers, we have "Silly things which screwed you over on the Ladder thread" and in OM, we have "Silly things you have seen on Other Metagames.".

Why do we not have it in OU (just to have a little laugh, not to belittle players) ? After all, Pokemon is just a game so shouldn't we let our hair down and have fun on occasions?
We did but it was locked for whatever reason.

We had one, but it was really cancerous and it was mostly just a cesspool for poor discussion so it got locked. Its especially bad in OU because of the really high traffic

Could Baton Pass MegaCham be a decent set?
BP Cham was an, albeit uncommon, set during XY but has since fallen out of favour. This is mainly because the switch initiative from baton pass isnt really necessary on a mon who should just focus on nuking anything that comes in, mostly because there are only a small amount of safe switch ins and those switch ins arent hard to switch into anyway (think slowbro, mew etc). Its not bad by any means but Cham is better off just spamming HJK/Zen Headbutt rather than trying to predict a switch.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Bpass cham doesn't have much of a purpose atm. There is nothing that you can't dent with high jump kick bar sableye and mega slowbro. As a result, the switchin are so obvious that a double switch will usually accomplish the same purpose. Cham really wants the extra moveslot as well.

Sub baton pass could be nice to screw over those switchins, especially sableye. Without double priority (or at least fake out), though, cham doesn't fare too well in this meta.

repost

How viable is an offensive core composed of Chandelure and Mega Gardevoir?
They seem like a pretty solid core in theory as Chandelure checks steels with fire blast and Victini with shadow ball, letting Mega Gardevoir wreck havoc.

Anyone who could suggest me abpn EV spread for assault vest guts conkeldurr? I'm having issues with the one in the dex

That's a hard question. Do you mean like the move with the highest base power or the strongest attack in the game when used by a pokemon?

As for the first, it's Explosion. The second I believe uses some Rollout shenanigans with Shuckle.
I mean the strongest attack used by a pokemon, like mega medichams HJK

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Rampardos Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 481-567 (141 - 166.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Deoxys-A Psycho Boost vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 481-567 (141 - 166.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Lickilicky Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 502-592 (147.2 - 173.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 550-648 (161.2 - 190%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Can banded victini's V-create be in the mix? 252+ Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 403-475 (118.1 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO. I mean, in OU not much hits harder
252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 388-457 (113.7 - 134%) -- guaranteed OHKO
EDIT: stored power can be absurd if you can get the boosts:
+6 252 SpA Life Orb Latios Stored Power (620 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 5253-6181 (1540.4 - 1812.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)