Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Just going to address this real quick.
  1. "Simple Questions" may seem to only apply to one line questions but really it applies to any thread that would die out quickly and become dead to conversation. You may see an occasional thread that does not encourage continual conversation but pretty much every one of those has some kind of collected data or is a resource, or a project that doesn't work out.
  2. If you think this thread is chaotic (which it is, but quoting helps), imagine if every question in this thread was made a separate thread. Threads of real value such as Victim of the Week, Theorymon, and Checks Compendium would get lost in the shuffle quickly. So the chaos that is Simple Questions will exist in this or any Smogon forum but it's far better that it is contained to one thread instead of the entire subforum.
The end of your post was well thought out so I tried to give you a nice and clear response. Hope this helps explain things a little :)
I undersand and appreciate your response, thank you.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Help with 6th for rain team?
I just can't decide on a 6th.. So far I have

Shuckle (sticky web stealth rocks)
Politied (offensive set)
Kabutops (swift swim physical)
Kingdra (swift swim special)
Ferrothorn (T wave whip wall)
First of all, replace shuckle since it is extremely redundant on rain and put rocks on ferro so that you will have an easier time freeing up moveslots. then add in LO tornt since it can beat down the grass types that wall most common swift swimmers and get ur sweepers in on switches to rock types to tank hits from tornt. Lastly, you should add in a rain-based mega like mega scizor or mega hera so that you will have something to deal with playstyles besides offense that tornt has trouble with like rotom-w balance and such.

First of all, replace shuckle since it is extremely redundant on rain and put rocks on ferro so that you will have an easier time freeing up moveslots. then add in LO tornt since it can beat down the grass types that wall most common swift swimmers and get ur sweepers in on switches to rock types to tank hits from tornt. Lastly, you should add in a rain-based mega like mega scizor or mega hera so that you will have something to deal with playstyles besides offense that tornt has trouble with like rotom-w balance and such.
That's what someone else said, and its great advice. Except I don't really have access too flawless legends like tornados, I only have x-y, I have alpha but I gave it too the lady. I'll get another copy eventually but I'm not on that right now. I do have a flawless mega scizor.. What about mega manetric for overheat thunder volt switch?

Also doesn't power whip ferro check rotom wash?

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That's what someone else said, and its great advice. Except I don't really have access too flawless legends like tornados, I only have x-y, I have alpha but I gave it too the lady. I'll get another copy eventually but I'm not on that right now. I do have a flawless mega scizor.. What about mega manetric for overheat thunder volt switch?

PW hippo gets burnt by rotom and gets crippled, megazor is fine for rain, but you could run mmane+klefki if that's possible, tornt is just so good for rain that it sucks to not have :[

Hey guys, I'm going to be in a draft style league starting in a few weeks, and I've figured that some pokemon with 4MSS are often really good in the format, could I have some good examples of pokemon with it? Offensive and defensively works! Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm going to be in a draft style league starting in a few weeks, and I've figured that some pokemon with 4MSS are often really good in the format, could I have some good examples of pokemon with it? Offensive and defensively works! Thanks!
I presume you're referring to the "good" kind of 4MSS, in which Pokemon have several different combinations of move they can run well?

First of all, if your league allows Mega Metagross, take it.

Barring that, Manaphy is a great pick. Between TG+Rain Dance, TG+3 attacks, Calm Mind sets, and several coverage options, you can make it handle a lot, not only with sheer power but some defensive utility as well.

Mew might also be worth considering, due to its incredible movepool. It can't do everything perfectly, but sometimes a jack-of-all-trades is exactly what you need.

aww man I'm jealous, love draft format.
my first pick would be victini. can go physical, mixed, special, can use any choice item, great u-turn user... just plain awesome.

just make sure you pick versatile stuff, gimmicks are often very good too.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist

You can always check the wifi forum and see if anyone's doing giveaways for a tornadus, or see if you can trade someone for one

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
It probably could, though it is usually less immediately effective than Encore against anything but last-mon boosters.

If you want to discuss a serious case for a ban on a certain pokemon, how's the best way to go about it? I know the mods don't like the whole "BAN X BECAUSE IT'S MEAN TO MY TEAM" argument, or people bringing up bans in general, but how is it best to bring up a serious ban argument for the council to possibly consider?

I'd say Shedinja, because while it isn't overcentralizing nor is it exactly broken, it's ruinously uncompetitive. If everyone used it, everyone would pack coverage for it because it required that, and as such it wouldn't be a problem - but currently it lies in that lowish usage where that's not exactly necessary and so it can be an insta-win against some teams.

And of course it's not just Shedinja I'm talking about, who is rocks weak, but also the pairing with Mega Sableye who keeps those rocks away (who I fully agree should remain OU, to not open that can of worms). Not every team wants to be running sand or something like SR Clefable to deal with the pair, and as such it's very unfair for players who are punished for wanting to create a certain archetype of a team that doesn't deal with that niche rubbish.

For an example I have an offensive Mega Gardevoir on my team right now, and I could run Shadow Ball in the place of Focus Blast for such occasions (and to hit Mega Metagross, Jirachi or opposing Gardevoir hard who switch in) - but is that good coverage against steels (like the vastly more common Heatran) or other pokemon in general? No it is not, and so I refuse to run it. Players who utilise the core also normally include the OU non-banned trappers, so that what threats there is to the core they can attempt to weed out and eliminate.

These teams win because people like me refuse to co-opt in running coverage for them, and so they have an arbitrarily higher rate of success. That is what makes them uncompetitive as well as no fun and no good for the ladder. People seemed to agree that Gothitelle wasn't exactly OP, and yet it was banned because it was uncompetitive and that sucked. Whilst Shedinja doesn't see the same usage, that still doesn't stop it from sucking just as hard if not harder.

Last edited:
I'd say Shedinja, because while it isn't overcentralizing nor is it exactly broken, it's ruinously uncompetitive. If everyone used it, everyone would pack coverage for it because it required that, and as such it wouldn't be a problem - but currently it lies in that lowish usage where that's not exactly necessary and so it can be an insta-win against some teams.

And of course it's not just Shedinja I'm talking about, who is rocks weak, but also the pairing with Mega Sableye who keeps those rocks away (who I fully agree should remain OU, to not open that can of worms). Not every team wants to be running sand or something like SR Clefable to deal with the pair, and as such it's very unfair for players who are punished for wanting to create a certain archetype of a team that doesn't deal with that niche rubbish.

For an example I have an offensive Mega Gardevoir on my team right now, and I could run Shadow Ball in the place of Focus Blast for such occasions (and to hit Mega Metagross, Jirachi or opposing Gardevoir hard who switch in) - but is that good coverage against steels (like the vastly more common Heatran) or other pokemon in general? No it is not, and so I refuse to run it. Players who utilise the core also normally include the OU non-banned trappers, so that what threats there is to the core they can attempt to weed out and eliminate.

These teams win because people like me refuse to co-opt in running coverage for them, and so they have an arbitrarily higher rate of success. That is what makes them uncompetitive as well as no fun and no good for the ladder. People seemed to agree that Gothitelle wasn't exactly OP, and yet it was banned because it was uncompetitive and that sucked. Whilst Shedinja doesn't see the same usage, that still doesn't stop it from sucking just as hard if not harder.
Honestly, your entire argument seems to be based on not wanting to carry coverage to counterplay Shedinja, but there's a difference between putting Shed Shell on random walls to get around Gothitelle and being forced to carry Dark, Fire, Flying, Rock or Ghost coverage. If this is your only argument, I'd probably abandon the argument and just start packing the proper coverage.

Honestly, your entire argument seems to be based on not wanting to carry coverage to counterplay Shedinja, but there's a difference between putting Shed Shell on random walls to get around Gothitelle and being forced to carry Dark, Fire, Flying, Rock or Ghost coverage. If this is your only argument, I'd probably abandon the argument and just start packing the proper coverage.
So, start packing Shadow Ball instead of Focus Blast? You're telling me all teams that face those kind of crappy options (run the better coverage or the Shedinja/Sableye coverage) should opt for the worse coverage?

And hey, even when you have something super effective to both like Knock Off Play Rough Azu, because you don't have rocks and they have something like sashed Endeavor user with the requisite follow up priority (Mamoswine) - well good luck.

It's a counterplay that I shouldn't have to counterplay, because it requires running certain pokemon that don't fit on every team or certain sets that aren't optimal for the majority of the meta. On the "running certain pokemon" front it is overcentralizing, on the "certain sets that aren't optimal" front it is uncompetitive - as your team is taking the hit of being less competitive to handle it.

Besides what you're forgetting is that all those Dark, Fire, Flying, Rock and Ghost super effective pokemon also really need to be able to scare Mega Sableye. Sure there are some (Talonflame, etc.) but as I said not every team should have to run that kind of stuff to not be dealt a blow by a niche and unpleasant core, and even then all it takes is a third member to round off these weaknesses and then they have a reliable switch coupled to a situationally invincible pokemon.

And I'll drop the Gothitelle comparisons straight away, as they lead nowhere good. The point was, in broad strokes, that people were packing options for Gothitelle they didn't really want to - which is the same here - but comparisons of this sort tend to be overly reductive.

So, start packing Shadow Ball instead of Focus Blast? You're telling me all teams that face those kind of crappy options (run the better coverage or the Shedinja/Sableye coverage) should opt for the worse coverage?
No, I said run something with one of 5 possible coverage moves. Run whatever you want on M-Garde, you have 5 other mons.

And hey, even when you have something super effective to both like Knock Off Play Rough Azu, because you don't have rocks and they have something like sashed Endeavor user with the requisite follow up priority (Mamoswine) - well good luck.
Then use your other 4-5 team members and don't let Azu die?

It's a counterplay that I shouldn't have to counterplay, because it requires running certain pokemon that don't fit on every team or certain sets that aren't optimal for the majority of the meta. On the "running certain pokemon" front it is overcentralizing, on the "certain sets that aren't optimal" front it is uncompetitive - as your team is taking the hit of being less competitive to handle it.
I mean, you have to run certain pokemon to deal with Mega Charizard X, and not all of them fit on every team type. Forgive me, but I'm not seeing why you don't have to counterplay Shedinja, but you should have to counterplay anything else on the viability rankings. Also, things that murder Shedinja without weird coverage options:
  • Clefable
  • Tornadus
  • Excadrill
  • Heatran
  • Hoopa-U
  • Landorus-T
  • Talonflame
  • Weavile
  • Gengar
  • Gliscor
  • Kyurem-B
  • Rotom-W
  • Tyranitar
  • Hippowdown
  • Jirachi
  • Mew
  • Togekiss
  • Terrakion
  • Volcarona
  • Chansey
  • Dragalge
  • Hydreigon
  • Quagsire
  • Victini
  • Crawdaunt
  • Mandibuzz
  • Zapdos

And that's a conservative list cutting out the Megas, anything below B- and mons that would have to use a move that's slashed over another move that can't deal with it.

Besides what you're forgetting is that all those Dark, Fire, Flying, Rock and Ghost super effective pokemon also really need to be able to scare Mega Sableye. Sure there are some (Talonflame, etc.) but as I said not every team should have to run that kind of stuff to not be dealt a blow by a niche and unpleasant core, and even then all it takes is a third member to round off these weaknesses and then they have a reliable switch coupled to a situationally invincible pokemon.
Then can't you run 1 mon to deal with Mega Sableye and 1 to deal with Shedinja? Yeah, they can run a mon that helps to beat that mon, but isn't that why you both take 6 mons into battle.

And I'll drop the Gothitelle comparisons straight away, as they lead nowhere good. The point was, in broad strokes, that people were packing options for Gothitelle they didn't really want to - which is the same here - but comparisons of this sort tend to be overly reductive.
Fair enough. Anyway, I don't want to flood the thread with stuff that's basically suspect thread discussion, so if this isn't convincing you, you can PM AM with your arguments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)