Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i considered fighting, but i didn't want to be walled by psychics. but i think the only psychic that resists psychic/fighting that i'd have to worry about is gardevoir? but i don't want to try and redo so many IVs. i guess i'll hunt one down in a trade ._.

any other ideas?
Hate to break it to you, but pretty much ANY Psychic type resists Fighting/Psychic. Besides Gallade. And Medicham
If you don't want to get walled by Psychics, use Dazzling Gleam, but like I said, you'll be walled by Steels

Does a pokémon's earthquake with Mold breaker hit double type pokémons like Talonflame even if its flying?

I know it shouldn't but... what if it does?

Mold breaker only affect abilities.You can hit Levitators like Latios or Rotom-W with EQ or Flash Fire users with a Fire type Move.Pokemon with this ability can also OHKO Stury users at full Health,or ignore Solid Rocks damage reducing attribute.
So Mold Breaker users cant hit Flying types with EQ,unless there are grounded throught Iron Ball or Gravity.The move Roost also removes the Flying type for the rest of the turn.

Hate to break it to you, but pretty much ANY Psychic type resists Fighting/Psychic. Besides Gallade. And Medicham
If you don't want to get walled by Psychics, use Dazzling Gleam, but like I said, you'll be walled by Steels
deoxys-d is setup bait, deoxys-s has subpar attacking stats (knock off is threatening though) and is still kinda setup bait. i forgot about the latis. opposing espeons are usually dual screens i think? they'll stop my sweep but they can't actually hurt me. and i mentioned gardevoir. that covers OU, doesn't it? i suppose alakazam could be a problem too.

but i think the only other real option is psychic/fire, which is objectively worse. HP fighting it is. thanks everyone.

deoxys-d is setup bait, deoxys-s has subpar attacking stats (knock off is threatening though) and is still kinda setup bait. i forgot about the latis. opposing espeons are usually dual screens i think? they'll stop my sweep but they can't actually hurt me. and i mentioned gardevoir. that covers OU, doesn't it? i suppose alakazam could be a problem too.

but i think the only other real option is psychic/fire, which is objectively worse. HP fighting it is. thanks everyone.
Deoxys-d has taunt, and usually has speed investment, so no setting up there. Deoxys-s has the same attacking stats as Kingdra, yet that was banned to ubers indefinitely during gen 5.

Last edited:
Well, if you google "Kingra" it comes up with King Ra, a rapper and hip hop artist. So yeah, according to me this hip hop artist has base 95 attack. Pretty strong, huh? :3

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Deoxys-d has taunt, and usually has speed investment, so no setting up there. Deoxys-s has the same attacking stats as Kingdra, yet that was banned to ubers indefinitely during gen 5.
kingdra was never banned to ubers

it was only not allowed when it had swift swim and there was also a drizzle politoed on your team

I guess banned was the wrong word. Ik it wasnt banned to ubers, what i meant was it was viable in Ubers (with rain obv).

Deoxys-d has taunt and usually has speed investment, so no setting up there.
magic bounce

Deoxys-s has the same attacking stats as Kingdra, yet that was banned to ubers indefinitely during gen 5.
I guess banned was the wrong word. Ik it wasnt banned to ubers, what i meant was it was viable in Ubers (with rain obv).
252 SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Espeon: 109-129 (40 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Psycho Boost vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Espeon: 126-148 (46.3 - 54.4%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO

kingdra was banned because permarain made it faster than a lot of things with no investment, it had great typing and enough bulk to take a hit, it could easily go physical, special, or mixed, and one of its STABs was boosted by rain and the other was a great attacking type with two great attacks (outrage and draco meteor).

this is a CM/wish (or morning sun?) espeon, deoxys-s ain't doing shit to it without knock off or shadow ball (and shadow ball loses if espeon already has a CM for some reason).

When Cloud Nine/Air Lock cancels weather's effects, does that include Solarbeam's "auto-charge" in the sun or power drop in the rain?

kingdra was banned because permarain made it faster than a lot of things with no investment, it had great typing and enough bulk to take a hit, it could easily go physical, special, or mixed, and one of its STABs was boosted by rain and the other was a great attacking type with two great attacks (outrage and draco meteor).
Kingdra was not banned any more than Kabutops was. Having swift swim + drizzle on one team was because the weather that boosted the pokemon's speed also boosted their STAB moves. It was like a free permanent shift gear for every swift swimmer.

Getting back to your original question, definitely go HP Fighting if you can as it allows you to OHKO Bisharp who could otherwise trap you with Pursuit. Few people in my experience predict something like Espeon to go on the offensive against it, instead expecting Espeon to do something like Reflect or BP out to avoid Pursuit, so they tend to either set up or go for the safe knock off. That gives you the opportunity to nail it with HP Fighting, which OHKOs 252/0 Bisharp.

T-tar can also trap you, but HP Fighting hardly does anything to it so I wouldn't expect it to help you much there:

252 SpA Espeon Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 180-212 (44.5 - 52.4%)

The other option is HP Fire to hit things like Scizor who might otherwise like to come in and set up on you.

If you can't/don't want to breed for hidden power (which I know is a pain in the butt), Espeon is probably best off just going with three support moves + Psychic. Failing that, its coverage options are dazzling gleam, grass knot, shadow ball, and signal beam, though the latter requires BW2.

Kingdra was not banned any more than Kabutops was. Having swift swim + drizzle on one team was because the weather that boosted the pokemon's speed also boosted their STAB moves. It was like a free permanent shift gear for every swift swimmer.
djflkds yeah sorry i meant, kingdra was ridiculously powerful. wasn't banning it considered an option before the drizzle + swift swim ban?

Getting back to your original question, definitely go HP Fighting if you can as it allows you to OHKO Bisharp who could otherwise trap you with Pursuit. Few people in my experience predict something like Espeon to go on the offensive against it, instead expecting Espeon to do something like Reflect or BP out to avoid Pursuit, so they tend to either set up or go for the safe knock off. That gives you the opportunity to nail it with HP Fighting, which OHKOs 252/0 Bisharp.

T-tar can also trap you, but HP Fighting hardly does anything to it so I wouldn't expect it to help you much there:

252 SpA Espeon Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 180-212 (44.5 - 52.4%)

The other option is HP Fire to hit things like Scizor who might otherwise like to come in and set up on you.

If you can't/don't want to breed for hidden power (which I know is a pain in the butt), Espeon is probably best off just going with three support moves + Psychic. Failing that, its coverage options are dazzling gleam, grass knot, shadow ball, and signal beam, though the latter requires BW2.
yeah i'm convinced HP fighting is the best option now. thanks everyone!! i'm even already breeding for it. it seems like it'd be way easier than i thought it would be if it weren't for eevee's gender ratio ._.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Does Iron Ball still cause a Flying-type holder to take neutral damage from Ground?
No. Iron Ball will now take into account secondary typings as well (e.g. Iron Ball Skarmory takes 2x from Ground-type moves. Iron Ball Staraptor takes neutral damage. Iron Ball Vivillon takes .5x damage.
When Cloud Nine/Air Lock cancels weather's effects, does that include Solarbeam's "auto-charge" in the sun or power drop in the rain?
Yes, it includes that.
At what point does the 30% boost from Life Orb take place? Is it before or after STAB or Super effective multiplyers? Or is it the last boosting effect to take place during Damage Calculation?
It is neither before nor after. Multiplication (including damage multipliers) has something called the commutative property, in which a * b = b * a. In other words, it doesn't matter what the order is, you get the same answer in the end.

I am trying to get a Azumaril to use with my Mega Scizor but I am having trouble finding a good moveset for it. Any recommendations?

Scizor Female
Level 100
Ability- Technician
Nature- Adamant
5 IVs
Evs

• 248 HP
• 136 Def
• 104 SpD
• 20 Spe

Roost
Swords dance
Bullet punch
U-turn

There are 3 sets commonly used with Azumarill.
Choice band (aqua jet, waterfall, play rough, knock off), Belly Drum w/ sitrus berry (Aqua jet, Waterfall, Playrough, Belly Drum obv), and Assualt Vest (aqua jet, waterfall, playrough, knock off).
If you want a set to go well with M-Scizor, it would either be Choice Band or Belly Drum.

No. Iron Ball will now take into account secondary typings as well (e.g. Iron Ball Skarmory takes 2x from Ground-type moves. Iron Ball Staraptor takes neutral damage. Iron Ball Vivillon takes .5x damage.
Does Iron ball disable the Flying Typing, or just its resistances/immunities? Like, how would Iron Ball Staraptor react to a Fighting move or Electric move?

Does Iron ball disable the Flying Typing, or just its resistances/immunities? Like, how would Iron Ball Staraptor react to a Fighting move or Electric move?
Iron Ball makes Flying-types susceptible to Ground moves. All other type matchups remain the same. A Fighting move on an Iron Ball Staraptor is still neutral and an Electric move is still SE.

It is neither before nor after. Multiplication (including damage multipliers) has something called the commutative property, in which a * b = b * a. In other words, it doesn't matter what the order is, you get the same answer in the end.
That normally works, however, the pokemon damage formula rounds to a certain decimal place at various points, so that doesn't work. 9.5*2.5*3.5=3.5*2.5*9.5, but 9.5*3.5 (round to nearest tenth)*2.5=/=2.5*3.5 (round to the nearest tenth)*9.5

That normally works, however, the pokemon damage formula rounds to a certain decimal place at various points, so that doesn't work. 9.5*2.5*3.5=3.5*2.5*9.5, but 9.5*3.5 (round to nearest tenth)*2.5=/=2.5*3.5 (round to the nearest tenth)*9.5
Damage is calculated exactly, and at the final step the result is rounded down to the nearest integer. There are no intermediate roundings.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Damage is calculated exactly, and at the final step the result is rounded down to the nearest integer. There are no intermediate roundings.
Actually, assuming the damage formula is unchanged from Generation V, the figure is rounded 4 times intermediately (one for every time a modifier is applied). You can find the complete damage formula here.
True, but I was assuming that the rounding was inconsequential. It's all rounded down to fractions of 4096, which tends to be pretty close to the actual values (Life Orb, for example, is exactly 5324/4096, approximately a 1.2998x boost).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)