Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any guide for players who haven't played since gen one looking to get into competitive team building and breeding?

is there a list of what spread is needed to outspeed certain speed tiers?
ex how much speed does a greninja (122 base) need to outspeed all base 115? is this possible with modest, or do you need to have timid (and then just give it just enough EVs to outspeed 115s)

I know Weavile isn't the first Pokemon people are thinking of in this new, bulkier, fairy-er game, but that evolution family is my favorite so I'm attempting to make my first competitive in-game mon a Weavile. Anyone have movepool suggestions or any info about possible egg moves? I'd like maybe some non-fighting coverage since steels don't resist dark anymore, and there are fairies to worry about.

Breeders:
I have a 31 Def/31 Sp Def Ditto and a 31 Spe Male Protean Froakie.
Am I correct in thinking that my first step needs to be to create a Female Protean Froakie (mother has 80% chance to pass down ability, and with Hidden Abilities which are rarer, it's important to always have a female with the hidden ability instead of the ditto as the mother?)

New question. It seems I'm having a harder time running into the third mon in a friend safari list. Namely riolu and ditto. Is there some rare 5% encounter rate for the third mon or am I just really unlucky. Didn't have this problem with tyrogue on a fighting spread btw.

Just to clarify: I'm not running into a third mon at all. And they listed themselves with those two as their thirds.

Yeah I was wondering what are the odds of a Pokemon having its Hidden Ability in the Friend Safari. I've read the chance appears when you and your friend are on at the same time, but I've yet to catch the desired one. Either I'm unlucky as hell or there's something I'm missing.

So just wondering if anyone knows if this team could work and the pokemon can learn the abilities as i know there is some change from gen 5 to gen 6. Never really made a competitive team though looking to get into competitive pokemon (coming from a competitive MTG background)

TDR:
A) Can these pokemon learn these moves
B) Is it worth working with a sun team

Mega Charizard Y |252 Special Attack| |252 Speed| |4 Hp| |Special Attack Sweeper/Also weather setter|
|Timid| |Solar Power / Drought|
|Fire blast | Focus Blast |
|Air slash | Solar Beam |

Ninetales |252 HP| 120 Defense | |136 Special Defense| |Weather Setter and slight utility|
|Timid| |Drought| | Leftovers|
|Flamethrower| |Will-O-Wisp|
|Sunny Day| |Roar|

Venusaur |252 HP| | 86 Defense| | 170 Sp Defense| |Sp Defense Wall|
|Timid| |Chlorophyll| |Not Sure|
|Solar Beam| |Sludge Bomb|
|Leech Seed| |Growth Or Synthesis|

Togekiss |240 HP| |216 Defense| |52 Speed| |Dragon killer/Defense Wall|
|Timid| |Leftovers| |Serence Grace|
|Air Slash| |*Morning Sun|
|Play Rough| |Thunder Wave|

Blaziken |252 Attack| | 252 Speed| |4 HP| |Attack Sweeper and can baton pass when low to Ven or Char|
|Jolly| |Life Orb| |Speed Boost|
|Swords Dance| |*Baton Pass|
|Hi-jump Kick| |Flare Blitz|

Forretress |252 HP| |150 Defense| |106 Sp Defense| |0 Speed| |Rapid Spinner and hazard layer|
|Relaxed| |Leftovers| |Sturdy|
|Rapid Spin| |*Stealth Rocks/Spike|
|Gyro Ball| |Infestation|

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Yeah I was wondering what are the odds of a Pokemon having its Hidden Ability in the Friend Safari. I've read the chance appears when you and your friend are on at the same time, but I've yet to catch the desired one. Either I'm unlucky as hell or there's something I'm missing.
You both need to have been online at the same time after beating the Elite 4 to get Hidden Abilities. After that first point of contact, the Hidden Ability Marker stays and you can get them regardless of your online status.

Breeders:
I have a 31 Def/31 Sp Def Ditto and a 31 Spe Male Protean Froakie.
Am I correct in thinking that my first step needs to be to create a Female Protean Froakie (mother has 80% chance to pass down ability, and with Hidden Abilities which are rarer, it's important to always have a female with the hidden ability instead of the ditto as the mother?)
The Male HA + Ditto will give you HA babies. Use these to get a good female and then breed on from there for moves/nature etc. Power items would be good to pass down the Spe from the Dad, but you might as well look for a Protean Frogadier from a Friend Safari as that will have 2 perfect IV's as opposed to one.

Are there any guide for players who haven't played since gen one looking to get into competitive team building and breeding?
Look around on the Smogon Site home page. Some of the stuff here: http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/ is applicable mostly to Gen 5 battling, but the basics would be covered there. :) Enjoy your time on Smogon!

Hey guys, how do you calculate a base-stat out of a specific EV-free stat?

I'd like to contribute in the calculating base-stat-stuff and help y'all getting forward :)

Where can you get the TMs for Superpower and Pursuit? Tyranitar doesnt seem to learn them so I'm in a bit of a dilemma of what moves to give him (Jolly and EV trained in speed and attack).

Where can I find a Flying Gem? I wanted to try the Scizor set that utilizes Flying Gem Acrobatics, but I'm sorta missing the Flying Gem part.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey I know the metagame hasnt started yet, but is there any thread where I can post my PO Gen 6 team? Its been doing well but I would like some constructive criticism before I try to make it on the actual game.

EDIT: Also, does anyone have a Hidden Ability Eevee they can spare?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Where can you get the TMs for Superpower and Pursuit? Tyranitar doesnt seem to learn them so I'm in a bit of a dilemma of what moves to give him (Jolly and EV trained in speed and attack).
These moves are not TMs. Superpower is a past gen tutor move and Pursuit is an egg move.
Where can I find a Flying Gem? I wanted to try the Scizor set that utilizes Flying Gem Acrobatics, but I'm sorta missing the Flying Gem part.
Flying Gem has not been found as of yet; we only have Normal Gem so far.

If in my safari I have, let's say, 3 different psychic pokemon, will I have the same 3 psychics forever or it changes to a new 3 set of psychics?

Somebody said in another thread that with just a few hours of breeding you can now get 5 perfect IV's easily. Being an old breeder, how is this now possible? What changes occurred in theb reeding system and does anybody have an example of how i should go about doing this? Usually i breed a poke to have three perfect IV's pretty easily in a few hours, but not 5.

What i normally do is breed for nature, and use an everstone 100% of the time on one parent. The other parent will hold a power item. I breed for babies with good IV"s and steadily swap out parents as better babies are born. Do i simply need to have two parents with opposing sets of perfect IV's (in sets of three probably)? and simply breed those untill i get two parentsdwith four, then hope for a baby with 5 to pop out sooner or later? Mind you im still only able to breed with one poweritem this whole time...

Anybody know if the Run Away ability got buffed in any way this gen? Does it let a Pokemon with it switch out of trapping moves/abilities in WiFi battles? If not, I can't believe it's taking GF THIS LONG to do that...

If in my safari I have, let's say, 3 different psychic pokemon, will I have the same 3 psychics forever or it changes to a new 3 set of psychics?
You'll have the same three pokes.
Somebody said in another thread that with just a few hours of breeding you can now get 5 perfect IV's easily. Being an old breeder, how is this now possible? What changes occurred in theb reeding system and does anybody have an example of how i should go about doing this? Usually i breed a poke to have three perfect IV's pretty easily in a few hours, but not 5.

What i normally do is breed for nature, and use an everstone 100% of the time on one parent. The other parent will hold a power item. I breed for babies with good IV"s and steadily swap out parents as better babies are born. Do i simply need to have two parents with opposing sets of perfect IV's (in sets of three probably)? and simply breed those untill i get two parentsdwith four, then hope for a baby with 5 to pop out sooner or later? Mind you im still only able to breed with one poweritem this whole time...
Well, can't say about few hours. I've done only one breed for now, but yeah, it was a lot faster than in gen 4. I've been doing 31/x/31/31/31/31 Gengar, timid and in a dusk ball.
Beforehand I got myself about ten Dittos with 3 perfect IVs in different stats. And I had a wild Haunter with perfect Sp. Atk. With everstone and destiny knot I've reached a 31/x/x/31/31/31 male one in about 4-6 hours (about 2-3 hours in the evenings for two days). Then I've used some of the three-perfects I got along the way with a Ditto that had a perfect in defense and a power item. In an hour or two I had a 31/x/31/31/x/31. Then 2 or 3 hours more and I had my Gengar. With a chance of 1/24 that was even longer than it should've been you could say, so yeah, it's a lot faster now. And also before getting first four-perfect one, I was using the IV calculator instead of the in-game IV judge, and that used up lots of my time as well.

So, to summarize:
- Easy to get Dittos with perfects, which let you skip several first steps of the breeding process;
- Destiny knot, which passes 5 of the 6 stats from the parents, choosing either of the parents for each stat (that leads to the 1/24 chance when two of the four-perfects are used as parents, if I understand the destiny knot's mechanics right);

Feel free to ask more, I'm not the best guy to give you a clear explanation about the breeding.
How do I get the postgame Mega Stones? I've been to the locations where they're supposed to be but I'm not finding them...
Are you looking for them in the right timeslot? 8-9 PM.

How do I get the postgame Mega Stones? I've been to the locations where they're supposed to be but I'm not finding them...
You have to have gone to Kiloude city, taken part in a challenge in the Battle Maison, gone to Anistar city and go to the big sparkly rock to speak to the professor, and then wait between 8-9PM and then the mega stones show up

Hey guys, how do you calculate a base-stat out of a specific EV-free stat?

I'd like to contribute in the calculating base-stat-stuff and help y'all getting forward :)
The stat formula is the one listed here. EVs are zero... it's figuring out IVs that is the hard part. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Stats#In_Generations_III.2C_IV.2C_and_V

At the very least, you should be able to get a stat range; what it is if the IV is zero and what it is if it's 31; if you have access to the stats judge, you can get more precision. Characteristics help too.

Can any pokemon other than Xerneas and Smeargle learn Geomancy?

Can any pokemon other than Pancham, Pangoro and Smeargle learn Parting Shot?

So just wondering if anyone knows if this team could work and the pokemon can learn the abilities as i know there is some change from gen 5 to gen 6. Never really made a competitive team though looking to get into competitive pokemon (coming from a competitive MTG background)

TDR:
A) Can these pokemon learn these moves
B) Is it worth working with a sun team

Mega Charizard Y |252 Special Attack| |252 Speed| |4 Hp| |Special Attack Sweeper/Also weather setter|
|Timid| |Solar Power / Drought|
|Fire blast | Focus Blast |
|Air slash | Solar Beam |

Ninetales |252 HP| 120 Defense | |136 Special Defense| |Weather Setter and slight utility|
|Timid| |Drought| | Leftovers|
|Flamethrower| |Will-O-Wisp|
|Sunny Day| |Roar|

Venusaur |252 HP| | 86 Defense| | 170 Sp Defense| |Sp Defense Wall|
|Timid| |Chlorophyll| |Not Sure|
|Solar Beam| |Sludge Bomb|
|Leech Seed| |Growth Or Synthesis|

Togekiss |240 HP| |216 Defense| |52 Speed| |Dragon killer/Defense Wall|
|Timid| |Leftovers| |Serence Grace|
|Air Slash| |*Morning Sun|
|Play Rough| |Thunder Wave|

Blaziken |252 Attack| | 252 Speed| |4 HP| |Attack Sweeper and can baton pass when low to Ven or Char|
|Jolly| |Life Orb| |Speed Boost|
|Swords Dance| |*Baton Pass|
|Hi-jump Kick| |Flare Blitz|

Forretress |252 HP| |150 Defense| |106 Sp Defense| |0 Speed| |Rapid Spinner and hazard layer|
|Relaxed| |Leftovers| |Sturdy|
|Rapid Spin| |*Stealth Rocks/Spike|
|Gyro Ball| |Infestation|
Try it out. Looks fine to me, except that Forretress looks extremely out place because it's on a sun team and it looks like you just tacked it on there because you wanted someone to use Stealth Rocks, Infestation and Rapid Spin

Just my opinion though. Maybe someone else knows better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)