Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figure I'll drop this here before I go off and build a whole team around it, anyone here think Tyraniboah could be revived? Was thinking about using Mega TTar, to keep up with power creep.
Tyraniboah, IIRC, was used in gen 3 and was essentially just a mixed Tyranitar set: Dark Pulse/Flamethrower/Focus Punch/Substitute. Alternatives were Tbolt instead of Flamethrower or Crunch instead of Dark Pulse. The EVs were 252 HP and then some mix of Atk, SpA, and Spe. Sub-Punch was meant specifically for Blissey and Tbolt/Flamethrower was meant for Steel-types like Jirachi, Skarmory, Scizor, Magnezone, Forretress, and Bronzong. (This was a time when SkarmBliss was a common defensive core. Salamence was also in Ubers I think.)

I don't really think such a set would work in XY OU. For one, if you plan on using Mega-Ttar, then he's best used as a DDer since he becomes one of the most powerful sweepers in the metagame. Also, the set just targets pokemon that are no longer threats or as common as they once were, or are now checked/countered by better pokemon. The ADV OU metagame was much different. (As an example of how different it was, I think the only dragon in the meta was Flygon since Salamence and Lati twins were banned to Ubers.) The set will also struggle with Fairy-types since they resist both Dark and Fighting. The filler Flamethrower/Tbolt would have to serve as coverage, and even AV Azumarill counters the set quite well:

176+ SpA Tyranitar Thunderbolt vs. 16 HP / 240 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 102-120 (29.5 - 34.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 330-390 (81.6 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 150-176 (37.1 - 43.5%) -- 99.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

So AV Azumarill would be able to hard switch in and win (Play Rough then Aqua Jet), even if you run Tbolt. (The next best option is Focus Punch, which has a 31.3% to 4HKO.)

What would be a good Alomomola set in OU. I want to raise one on cartridge and want to make sure I don't have to redo it later.
Alomomola @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 104 HP / 248 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Knock Off/Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

If you want Knock Off, then you have to breed it in B2W2. If not, then all of the moves are level-up moves or TMs.

Bold Nature
- Knock Off/Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

If you want Knock Off, then you have to breed it in B2W2. If not, then all of the moves are level-up moves or TMs.
So basically the RU set from the strategy dex also works in OU. I don't think its in hidden grotto's so Knock Off is only if I have a female regenerator already.

So basically the RU set from the strategy dex also works in OU. I don't think its in hidden grotto's so Knock Off is only if I have a female regenerator already.
Oh shoot, you're right. Alomololololola doesn't come in Friend Safari or in Horde Battles. If it's not in Hidden Grotto, then Dream World was the only way you could get it legit on the game card. Since that's gone, it seems you're out of luck unless someone already has one to trade. (And if you want Knock Off you need a female.)

I would be able to help you if you don't want Knock Off since my HA Alomomooomomola is already in my Pokebank. If you want Knock Off, you'll have to look elsewhere =(

Here's to hoping that ORAS allows us to get these annoying pokemon more easily. I imagine they will probably make them available in some other way since there really is absolutely no other way to get a HA Obamamalala on your own now.

Hey I want to submit an RMT but I can't find how to do hide tags (for importable) or how to tag a certified rater that I want to rate my team. Could you help me? thanks.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey I want to submit an RMT but I can't find how to do hide tags (for importable) or how to tag a certified rater that I want to rate my team. Could you help me? thanks.
Hide tags:
Code:
[hide=importable]
blah
[/hide]
would show up as:
blah

Tagging:
Code:
@ Lucario1313 (without the space between the @)
would show up as:
Lucario1313

Bold Nature
- Knock Off/Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

knock off on mola is really bad honestly, sure you remove their item but not being able to cripple physical attackers / deter them from switching into you with scald is a huge loss and is missing out on one of the best things about alomomola tbh.

Tagging Superpowerer since this is relevant to him too

knock off on mola is really bad honestly, sure you remove their item but not being able to cripple physical attackers / deter them from switching into you with scald is a huge loss and is missing out on one of the best things about alomomola tbh.

Tagging Superpowerer since this is relevant to him too
I agree. Fishing for Scald burns is much better. If you're making on the game card, too, Knock Off is pretty much a non-option anyway.

I agree. Fishing for Scald burns is much better. If you're making on the game card, too, Knock Off is pretty much a non-option anyway.
Does RNG Manipulation count. I've done it for gens 3 (Clefable) and 5 (many). I'll see if I have a Regeralomomola on my Gen 5 Cart the next time I RNG. I can't do Gothitelle either since it needs trick and I didn't RNG the event. Really does suck honestly. Also on the UU set Knock Off is a slash over Toxic rather than Scald.

Does RNG Manipulation count. I've done it for gens 3 (Clefable) and 5 (many). I'll see if I have a Regeralomomola on my Gen 5 Cart the next time I RNG. I can't do Gothitelle either since it needs trick and I didn't RNG the event. Really does suck honestly. Also on the UU set Knock Off is a slash over Toxic rather than Scald.
I feel like Wish/Protect/Toxic is mandatory for its role as a stall and Wish passer. Toxic is really its only reliable and significant source of damage, so I can't see foregoing it for something else.

What do you mean by RNG Manipulation? The only way to get Regenerator Alomomola is through Dream World, which was discontinued in January. I suppose you mean cloning/genning? Well, you can get anything you want by that method, but I just assumed you were making the Alomomola yourself legitimately.

Gothitelle also gets Shadow Tag via Friend Safari (but yeah, Trick is only taught by gen5 move tutors). So another reason to cross fingers for good move tutors in ORAS.

I feel like Wish/Protect/Toxic is mandatory for its role as a stall and Wish passer. Toxic is really its only reliable and significant source of damage, so I can't see foregoing it for something else.

What do you mean by RNG Manipulation? The only way to get Regenerator Alomomola is through Dream World, which was discontinued in January. I suppose you mean cloning/genning? Well, you can get anything you want by that method, but I just assumed you were making the Alomomola yourself legitimately.

Gothitelle also gets Shadow Tag via Friend Safari (but yeah, Trick is only taught by gen5 move tutors). So another reason to cross fingers for good move tutors in ORAS.
I am going to see if I have an Alomomola with Regenerator and manipulate the RNG breed for IVs if I decide on Knock Off. Not even comparable to cloning or genning. RNG Manipulation in no way edits the game like genning but only exploits its mechanics. This is especially true in Gen 3 where RNG literally comes down to timing a button press or 2.

I am going to see if I have an Alomomola with Regenerator and manipulate the RNG breed for IVs if I decide on Knock Off. Not even comparable to cloning or genning. RNG Manipulation in no way edits the game like genning but only exploits its mechanics. This is especially true in Gen 3 where RNG literally comes down to timing a button press or 2.
Oh, okay. I was under the impression you didn't even have the female Regenerator to start with. That's why I was confused.

Not sure if this had been brought up before, but is there a HP ice IV spread that can has 0 attack IVs while retaining 31 IVs in both Spe and SpA?

Hey, I'm trying to get an effective baton passer to boost speed to my Medicham, one that can take the opponent off guard. I'd pick the generic scolipede/ninjask/blaziken, but they are all predictable, and leave medicham open to a hit. Who do I pick? Or essentialy, is it possible to pass a slow speed boost? Note that this is on my cart team, so all suggestions must be present within Kalos.

Hey, I'm trying to get an effective baton passer to boost speed to my Medicham, one that can take the opponent off guard. I'd pick the generic scolipede/ninjask/blaziken, but they are all predictable, and leave medicham open to a hit. Who do I pick? Or essentialy, is it possible to pass a slow speed boost? Note that this is on my cart team, so all suggestions must be present within Kalos.
The reason that they are used so often is that they are the only Pokemon with speed boost the can baton pass. Well, I guess combusken, and torchic can do it, but there aren't really any viable options other than the ones you listed, which sucks because a slow speed boosting baton passer would be cool.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Your best choices with agility pass will be either zapdos (if available) or scizor. Other wise there is ss gorbeyess if predictable.
It is hard to bp a slow boost without something like lagging tail, which makes the agility poke pretty useless outside of bp.

Your probably best going with scolipede

Ok, I'm 100% sure people have thought of this before, so I'm gonna just phrase this question with "what's the reason", lol

So any Pokemon running Bold, Timid, Modest, or Calm natures also runs no physical attacks. Basically their attack stat matters for nothing. Except it doesn't! There are two features in the game where your attack stat can come into play. 1) Foul Play 2) Hitting Yourself in Confusion. In both cases having a minimum attack stat is beneficial.
SO, what's the reason that when smogon lists sets for Pokemon that run Bold, Timid, Modest, or Clam natures it doesn't also tell them to run 0 (or 1 for Hidden Power) IVs in their attack stat?
It seems really nit picky but it's on par with ideas like putting the final 6 IVs in Def over Hp or something. I mean I guess Foul Play and confusion are more situational and less likely to be parts of a battle than fractional damage to your health due to stuff like hazards or status. But I don't see why there couldn't be situations where having taken a slightly smaller amount of Foul play or confusion damage could make all the difference. And there's no reason to run an Atk IV of 31 or 30 I can think of.

based on that, it also seems to me like PS should assume an atk IV of 0 or 1 when you build a spread with those natures (the same way it assumes IV spreads for hidden powers) which I'm fairly sure it doesn't. (at least I can recall having to manually set the atk IV to 0 many times, which it's not like I'm lazy or something, but it is the kind of thing that slips your mind when you put together a spread) Anyways, like I said I'm sure someone thought of it before, but what is the reason it doesn't happen? lol

(and it might just be my computer,but I think the link to the Orange Island's thread in the OP is broken)

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ok, I'm 100% sure people have thought of this before, so I'm gonna just phrase this question with "what's the reason", lol

So any Pokemon running Bold, Timid, Modest, or Calm natures also runs no physical attacks. Basically their attack stat matters for nothing. Except it doesn't! There are two features in the game where your attack stat can come into play. 1) Foul Play 2) Hitting Yourself in Confusion. In both cases having a minimum attack stat is beneficial.
SO, what's the reason that when smogon lists sets for Pokemon that run Bold, Timid, Modest, or Clam natures it doesn't also tell them to run 0 (or 1 for Hidden Power) IVs in their attack stat?
It seems really nit picky but it's on par with ideas like putting the final 6 IVs in Def over Hp or something. I mean I guess Foul Play and confusion are more situational and less likely to be parts of a battle than fractional damage to your health due to stuff like hazards or status. But I don't see why there couldn't be situations where having taken a slightly smaller amount of Foul play or confusion damage could make all the difference. And there's no reason to run an Atk IV of 31 or 30 I can think of.

based on that, it also seems to me like PS should assume an atk IV of 0 or 1 when you build a spread with those natures (the same way it assumes IV spreads for hidden powers) which I'm fairly sure it doesn't. (at least I can recall having to manually set the atk IV to 0 many times, which it's not like I'm lazy or something, but it is the kind of thing that slips your mind when you put together a spread) Anyways, like I said I'm sure someone thought of it before, but what is the reason it doesn't happen? lol

(and it might just be my computer,but I think the link to the Orange Island's thread in the OP is broken)
I really don't know. I've always been told that people should just know to minimize IVs on Pokemon without any physical attacks, but that kinda seems just like an excuse. You're right, on practically every Pokemon with a Bold, Calm, Modest, or Timid nature, 0 (or 1) Attack IVs are ideal. However, analyses just don't mention this, and PS doesn't do this with ideal spreads either. I think it's just some weird standard C&C uses, like Return > Frustration, Naïve + Pokémon spelled without the accent, etc). Sorry that I couldn't really answer this, since I really don't think there's a reason. Good players use 0 or 1 attack IVs on special attackers (other than those with physical moves). Do note though that Tornadus-T is weird, since it commonly uses 2/3 physical attacks + a timid nature.

I really don't know. I've always been told that people should just know to minimize IVs on Pokemon without any physical attacks, but that kinda seems just like an excuse. You're right, on practically every Pokemon with a Bold, Calm, Modest, or Timid nature, 0 (or 1) Attack IVs are ideal. However, analyses just don't mention this, and PS doesn't do this with ideal spreads either. I think it's just some weird standard C&C uses, like Return > Frustration, Naïve + Pokémon spelled without the accent, etc). Sorry that I couldn't really answer this, since I really don't think there's a reason. Good players use 0 or 1 attack IVs on special attackers (other than those with physical moves). Do note though that Tornadus-T is weird, since it commonly uses 2/3 physical attacks + a timid nature.
Yeah... But the fact there are unique cases like Tornadus-T makes it seem like all the more reason it should happen. It's potentially useful knowledge for people learning how to put together their Pokemon, you know? Even for beginners, learning that kind of thing helps open their eyes to the intricacies of the game and gets them thinking about how different stats work or how polarizing stats one way or another can help you out. For the longest time I thought putting the last 6 EVs in Hp was good until i was taught otherwise. Should I consider bringing this point up somewhere more official?

Last edited:
What are some ways of dealing with Azumarill on more offensive teams that don't want to bring something like Ferrothorn or Mega Venusaur?

What is TSV? and how do i find out mine?
iirc, it stands for "Trainer Shiny Value." Every Pokemon has its own shiny value, and if that value matches the trainer's when it's encountered or hatched then it will be shiny. I'm not sure there's any way to find these values anymore after encryption was added to trades and battles, the old method used to involve trading and using a program called Pokecheck to see your value from the trade data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)