Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yuh, for Milotic it seems ok that way. Anyway Timid Greninja isn't too bad because its Gunk Shot still OHKOs stuff which Naive does, except you need SR up.
i should have mentioned this will be for battle spot as well

but thanks for the help guys i think ill keep this one until after i finish the rest of the team, then i have have time ill try for a 5-6Iv flawless...now to go for poliwag...male....with HA....yay >.<

well yea if it wasnt shiny i would have threw out the day care with the other 234235363452 worthless 4iv mons... lol i recently managed to get my hands on a flawless jap ditto + just completed my pokedex so ive been trying to shinify my future ORAS team,(well the ones that look good shiny)

?
Go to the calculator and run some calcs yourself. Plug in a few prime hits from things you would want it to wall and see how it holds up.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
What are the main reasons Excadrill went down from Ubers in gen 6? Would he be banned in a kalos-born-only metagame, in which Landorus is absent (this is more of an opinion question)?
The weather in gen 5 (unlimited weather) made things like Excadrill very good. This is also the case with Manaphy which had 1 rest turn in rain. Pokemon like Politoed, Tyranitar and Kingdra were high ranked in viability rankings and things like Stoutland, who are now unranked, were A rank (Stoutland A- I believe) so weather wars made a whole different ranking and other pokemon useful who are nowadays pretty bad

Would mix charazard X be a good thing? I was thinking:
Mild nature
Overheat
Dragon claw
Roost
Ancient power
252 atk 252 spe 4sp.atk
Mild nature boost special atk with out losing atk and keeps sp def

Overheat for a suprise first move, dragon claw for stab, roost for recovery and ancient power for heatran
The EV choice is kind of obvious...
Tell me your thoughts! And if you have a better idea give a reason!
*edit: earthquake over ancient power, thank you Blake337

Last edited:
If I want to run a mixed Greninja, is it better to run a -defense or -spdef nature? On one hand, I don't want to be weaker to priority, but on the other hand, I want to be able to switch in on weak resisted special moves.

If I want to run a mixed Greninja, is it better to run a -defense or -spdef nature? On one hand, I don't want to be weaker to priority, but on the other hand, I want to be able to switch in on weak resisted special moves.
I would take away from the special defense. Priority is more likely to impact Gren. Running some quick calcs, running Hasty costs you about 5% against stronger priority users (Weavile, Scizor, Mega Pinsir). That 5% assumes the priority hit is neutral btw, because Protean could leave you in quite a few different places typing-wise.

Edit:
252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0- Def Greninja: 264-312 (92.3 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 237-280 (82.8 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Run Naive. You survive unboosted SD Talon's Brave Bird and most likely take it down with you due to LO damage.

Mild nature
Overheat
Dragon claw
Roost
Ancient power
252 atk 252 spe 4sp.atk

Overheat for a suprise first move, dragon claw for stab, roost for recovery and ancient power for heatran
Since you mentioned Heatran I'll assume this is OU. And, if you want to get rid of Heatran, why not just run Earthquake? Heatran is neutral to Ancientpower and its 60 power is pitiful. Mixzard X is not a bad idea but Ancientpower is not very good IMO. Rock Slide or Earthquake are better, depending on what you want to check.

What is a good replacement for Iron Head on a Kalos Born Vest Excadrill? (Metal Claw, X-Scissor, Shadow Claw, Return, Poison Jab, Brick Break..? Facade....?)

What are the 32 speed evs used to outspeed?
As far as I could calculate, max speed base 61's and below (Tyranitar, Sylveon, Magnezone, Swampert, Lapras, Pangoro, to name a few), neutral natured 252 base 72's and below (Slurpuff, Tyrantrum, Mega Tyranitar, Bisharp, Metagross, Breloom) and non-invested base 103's and below (which doesn't happen sadly).

Mild nature
Overheat
Dragon claw
Roost
Ancient power
252 atk 252 spe 4sp.atk

*edit: earthquake over ancient power, thank you Blake337

Since you mentioned Heatran I'll assume this is OU. And, if you want to get rid of Heatran, why not just run Earthquake? Heatran is neutral to Ancientpower and its 60 power is pitiful. Mixzard X is not a bad idea but Ancientpower is not very good IMO. Rock Slide or Earthquake are better, depending on what you want to check.
The problem with Mixed Charizard X is that there's effectively nothing with defenses so lopsided that it beats out the Dragon Dance set besides things you're not likely to see like Avalugg and Mega Aggron.

Mixed ZardX would work rather similarly to MixMence, in that it would rely primarily on its physical attack and keep the big Overheat (compared to Salamence's Draco Meteor) in the back pocket in case a major physical wall comes out. However, the major difference here is that ZardX gets Tough Claws, and the damage boost off of Tough Claws is so immense as to almost completely nullify the benefits of carrying the surprise special move. Plus, Mega Charizard X works especially well with Dragon Dance, and you lose the benefits of that synergy on a mixed set.

I mean, you can do it. Overheat will outperform a neutral move against a heavy physical wall, and you can get a surprise hit there. But I'd probably say that the special-based suckerpunch surprise hit probably isn't worth giving up ZardX's absurd sweep potential, and after a DD or two there's nothing that Overheat will outperform Flare Blitz against anyway.

Lots of questions
How hard is it to make a "good" team?
How long should it take?
What I mean is, assuming I were to decide to make a new team and went "Oh, I like X so I will use him. Y is also good so I will use him etc..."
Is a "good" team determined by how good each member is, how good they work together, or is it based mostly on how good the player is?
Also, what would you say is mandatory to any team? (for instance, I mandatorize ice type moves for OU.)

Lots of questions
How long should it take?
What I mean is, assuming I were to decide to make a new team and went "Oh, I like X so I will use him. Y is also good so I will use him etc..."
Is a "good" team determined by how good each member is, how good they work together, or is it based mostly on how good the player is?
Also, what would you say is mandatory to any team? (for instance, I mandatorize ice type moves for OU.)
It depends on your teambuilding skills and meta knowledge. Some people can make good teams in 20 minutes and others take several days to chose the pokemon via hit and trial. You can only know the effectiveness of a team by using it... a lot. It depends on all the factors you listed, imo the most important is how it matches against the metagame, especially S & A rank mons.
As for the mandatory things, a Stealth Rock setter and checks for the top threats.

Lots of questions
How long should it take?
1.) depends on your skill level. Don't worry about it.
2.) a few hours at least - 10% making the first draft, 90% playtesting and creasing out any kinks you find.
3.) While the first statement is true to an extent, the second statement is the biggest: Synergy. I can garuntee 100% that a team made of MegaZardX/Latios/Greninja/Keldeo/2 random A+ mons will be much worse than a team with obscene synergy made of C+ mons or below.
4.) Nothing is 100% mandatory. However, you should have at least one check for the top 30 used pokemon, and one reliable counter/two checks for the top 10.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What is the sd mega scizor set i keep hearing about? is it the speedy offensive one or is it the bulky sd roost set?
The set that has been popularized by Crashinboombang is offensive SD mega scizor. On mobile now so I can't link, but check his sample team in the OU Player of the week 3 thread for the set, it is incredibly powerful and hard to stop after some boosts.

what are some good pokemon paired with superfang/drain punch chesnaught?

i was thinking this set
suprfang
drain punch
leech seed
spiky shield

but it gets other goodies like spikes, roar, and synthesis

ofc something for smogonbird like rotomw or heatran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)