Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of making a Mega Lopunny team, but I've been out of the competitive scene for a while so I'm not sure what is has trouble getting around. I'm assuming really tanky things like Skarmory and (Mega)Slowbro, but if you guys could narrow it down a bit more, I'd appreciate it!
On the top of my head:
-Birds talonflame in particular
-Mega Salamence can set up a DD on you (especially on mega turn with intimidate) and threaten a sweep
-Scarf Latios, Terrakion, Keldeo
-Stallbreaker mew
-Mach punchers (breloom and conkeldurr)
-This cannot be circumvented but random protect on high jump kick is painful

A lot of things check it meaning that you'll mostly want it to come in cleanly (after a KO or slow volt/turn).

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So, I have a Naive Froakie ingame with a spread of 31/31/31/18-19/31/31. If I'm looking to make a mixed set with the only special move as Ice Beam, does the 18-19 SpA make Ice Beam lose any particularly important KOs?

Can't exactly calc right now so a general idea would be helpful.
I would definitely re-breed to get a froakie with a 31 IV in Spa, it's super important.

So, I have a Naive Froakie ingame with a spread of 31/31/31/18-19/31/31. If I'm looking to make a mixed set with the only special move as Ice Beam, does the 18-19 SpA make Ice Beam lose any particularly important KOs?

Can't exactly calc right now so a general idea would be helpful.
For reference, you'll be missing any chance to OHKO Latias with Ice Beam as well as potentially miss it on Latios, so yes, it would be good to breed for 31 IVs,

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
For reference, you'll be missing any chance to OHKO Latias with Ice Beam as well as potentially miss it on Latios, so yes, it would be good to breed for 31 IVs,
31 IVs:
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 304-359 (100.6 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 260-307 (81.5 - 96.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

19 IVs:
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 289-343 (95.6 - 113.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 250-296 (78.3 - 92.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

So yes, I would breed for one with perfect IVs in Special Attack :]

Last edited:
Any cool alternatives for a taunt SR lead other than terrakion?

I'm currently considering a sashed infernape set w/
- Stealth Rock
- Fake Out (break sashes)
- Taunt
- (not sure for the final move)

It's been fairly underwhelming so far and I'm torn on whether to run Flare Blitz, Close Combat, or become a special based Fire Blast

Yuuki-kun This might be a good lead set for you.
Infernape @ Focus Sash
move 1: Endeavor
move 2: Overheat
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Taunt
ability: Blaze
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Naive

Simple lead set, really. Sets up rocks, get off a nice Blaze Boosted Overheat if you can, and more importantly, Endeavor lets you cripple just about every not ghost type in the game except Azumarill, Fake out leads, and Hippowdon.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader

- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

It's been fairly underwhelming so far and I'm torn on whether to run Flare Blitz, Close Combat, or become a special based Fire Blast
gliscor and mew work here

Deleted User 241617

Banned deucer.

- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Azelf is an option for hyper offensive teams, and can set up screens if you want to. Azelf can even weaken oposing threats with Explosion.
A 'mon thats not a suicide lead is heatran, it has the advantage that it can stay alive during the game, but won't outspeed fast stealth rockers to Taunt them as Azelf can.

EDIT
I almost forgot, Mamoswine is another suicide lead witch can even take out oposing 'mons because of Endeavor and Ice Shard.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Yuuki-kun This might be a good lead set for you.
Infernape @ Focus Sash
move 1: Endeavor
move 2: Overheat
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Close Combat
ability: Blaze
evs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Naive

Simple lead set, really. Sets up rocks, get off a nice Blaze Boosted Overheat if you can, and more importantly, Endeavor lets you cripple just about every not ghost type in the game except Azumarill, Fake out leads, and Hippowdon.
should've mach punch with endeavor, and he mentioned taunt as well

Azelf is an option for hyper offensive teams, and can set up screens if you want to.
A 'mon thats not a suicide lead is heatran, it has the advantage that it can stay alive during the game, but won't outspeed fast stealth rockers to Taunt them as Azelf can.
Do you prefer a physical based azelf or a specially focused one?

There's always Aerodactyl that can has both SR and Taunt, and has a great speed for using them.

Although, I should admit I used it last gen, so I don't know how viable it is these days, especially seeing as Lando-T is such a common lead.

In Excadrill's OU analysis (in other options, so it's not on the stratdex) there's a reference to "a bulky Stealth Rock + Rapid Spin set with enough HP and Special Defense investment to take on Thundurus and Clefable makes for a decent Stealth Rock setter and Rapid Spinner all in one package." I'm teambuilding ATM, and for multiple reasons, this seems ideal - but what would the IVs and set be? Excadrill needs massive defensive investment to survive a neutral Focus Blast from Thunderus, and Rock Slide with the remaining EVs in ATK is a 2HKO so it's pretty situational. And it can't run Iron Head if it's also running Earthquake if Rock Slide, RS and SR are the remaining moves.

((Although that same investment 2HKOs Clefable pretty nicely with Iron Head and Clefable can't do much back. Idk.))

Will there be again a XY pre Oras OU ladder on PS? Or will Oras OU replace xy OU forever?

I rly enjoyed pre oras XY OU thats why I'm asking...

Thx :]

Will there be again a XY pre Oras OU ladder on PS? Or will Oras OU replace xy OU forever?

I rly enjoyed pre oras XY OU thats why I'm asking...

Thx :]
Ofcourse oras will replace x and y,
The x and y metagame will be a side metagame, still playable.

In the Strategy Dex, the entry for standard Ferrothorn states that it can have a Sassy (+SDef -Spd) or Relaxed (+Def -Spd) nature. What is the best nature for Ferrothorn and why?

In the Strategy Dex, the entry for standard Ferrothorn states that it can have a Sassy (+SDef -Spd) or Relaxed (+Def -Spd) nature. What is the best nature for Ferrothorn and why?
It comes down to your team basically. Is Ferrothorn handling the Physical Attacker for your team or is it handling the Special Attacker? Pick Relaxed if the former and Sassy if the latter.

My question: if a match come down to a full health, Leftovers holding Cleric Sylveon (Wish, Protect, Hyper Voice) vs a full health, Leftovers holding Physically Defensive Skarmory (BB + Roost), which side should forfeit?

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
The standard spread for ferro Is 252 hp/88 def/168 Sdef relaxed nature, but honestly i don't remember Why :v
My question: if a match come down to a full health, Leftovers holding Cleric Sylveon (Wish, Protect, Hyper Voice) vs a full health, Leftovers holding Physically Defensive Skarmory (BB + Roost), which side should forfeit?
It Is difficult to say, it also depends on the other moves as it probably would end up being a PP stall. I would say skarm because it normally carries moves with higher PP and has a better recovery move, however if you play well with sylveon you can pressure skarm enough with bb recoil and hyper voice doing 25-30% and make it finish roosts before you finish wishes

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
The section "Set Details" in the analysis tells you what each nature lets you do.
The given EV spread with a Relaxed nature lets Ferrothorn fare well against both physically and specially oriented opponents. 168 Special Defense EVs give Ferrothorn enough special bulk to live two Ice Beams from +3 Manaphy. A Sassy nature with the given EV spread allows Ferrothorn to live the combination of Hyper Voice + Focus Blast from Modest Mega Gardevoir most of the time, while still avoiding the 2HKO from +1 Mega Gyarados's Earthquake most of the time. However, the EV spread can be tweaked as much as you like; full investment in Defense lets Ferrothorn take on strong physical attackers such as Life Orb Excadrill and Diggersby, while full investment in Special Defense lets it always live Hyper Voice + Focus Blast from Modest Mega Gardevoir.
it basically depends on what you want Ferrothorn to check for your team. also lol i'm the writer of the entry :D

Haunter said on a recent Soul Dew thread that we're "Not making Soul Dew OU legal any time soon". Does that mean to say Soul Dew is getting quickbanned without a suspect? And if so, why is it getting undoubtedly quickbanned without an option from the community when Megamence isn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)