Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
What pokemon lose against SpDef Skarm but win against PDef and on what kind of teams is the SpD set useful?

Some people in the Giratina thread are pointing out that Giratina would basically make half of all the good mons unviable and that the game would be focused around it. Others are saying the same but that it would actually be a good thing. Can I ask for the logic behind this reasoning? It seems like Aegi was banned for a similar reason so it seems weird that people would be supportive of the way Gira might impact the game.

Some people in the Giratina thread are pointing out that Giratina would basically make half of all the good mons unviable and that the game would be focused around it. Others are saying the same but that it would actually be a good thing. Can I ask for the logic behind this reasoning? It seems like Aegi was banned for a similar reason so it seems weird that people would be supportive of the way Gira might impact the game.
Good question, and that will be discussed in the thread extensively I assume, but Aegi had a wide movepool and much more versatility. Gira also doesn't have an item slot effectively, it's Shadow Ball is a lot weaker, and most importantly there are no unnecessary 50/50s unlike with King's Shield.

Sample calcs:

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 8 HP / 4 SpD Abomasnow: 238-281 (73.6 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Griseous Orb Giratina-O Shadow Ball vs. 8 HP / 4 SpD Abomasnow: 186-219 (57.5 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's a pretty big difference in damage output.

A huge part of Aegi was those damn King's Shield 50/50s. Without that Aegi stands a good chance to still be OU.

Last edited:
so now that giratina is getting a suspect what are good mons that pair with it? i have no idea where to start with giratina lol

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
so now that giratina is getting a suspect what are good mons that pair with it? i have no idea where to start with giratina lol
Steel types from both an defensive point of view (resisting dragon, ice and fairy and giratina resisting fighting ground and fire) and from an offensive point of view (giratina doesn't like fairies) so pokemon like Klefki [also spikes support] Heatran and Bisharp can work but this all depends on the set you use on Giratina.
One big weakness of Giratina is its speed, so pokemon that help against fast pokemon work. Also really depends whether you play stall, balance or offense

Reactions: tko
I've played competitively for long time now, but I've been learning by experience, with wins and loses. I've been playing Random Battles and I've got to win more times there than in the OU metagame. Currently I'm trying to build a good team, but now I wonder if there's a thread for team building, and I know there are several threads here with compediums and roles, but I'm looking for advices, about what do do while building a team, how to proceed and what elements should I be looking for while building it.
I've encounter several threads here, but non of it as I mention.

In concrete: what are the aspects that should be covered and taking note while building a team?

I've used RTM, but honestly I haven't got a constructive answer so far.

I've played competitively for long time now, but I've been learning by experience, with wins and loses. I've been playing Random Battles and I've got to win more times there than in the OU metagame. Currently I'm trying to build a good team, but now I wonder if there's a thread for team building, and I know there are several threads here with compediums and roles, but I'm looking for advices, about what do do while building a team, how to proceed and what elements should I be looking for while building it.

In concrete: what are the aspects that should be covered and taking note while building a team?

It can be hard to make your RMT stick out from the crowd, sometimes the right person just doesn't notice it. You can always PM/VM people with Fist badges like mine if you really want help with your team. Some of us are busy with IRL stuff but we try to take requests :)

I'll take a look later and see what I can do.

Edit: just glanced over your team. I think Flygon generally sends a bad signal to prospective raters. The OU Viability thread is a generally good indicator of what should be used on a serious OU team, even though Flygon has been on and off there a couple of times.

Is there a consensus on when to use Modest or Timid Gardevoir? Which do you prefer?
Also, I've been hearing a bit of hype with Slowking; what is its best spread in the metagame atm? I would do full physically defensive to help against M-Gross and survive as best I can against a M-Char, but I feel that might compromise its ability to switch in on Lando-I and the likes...?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Take into account top tier threats which is usually indicated on viability rankings, making sure you have general resists to the majority of metagame trends while not being too weak to particular threats for example just because you think you have Fire types covered doesn't necessarily mean you have a certain threat like say, Charizard X covered. Having Water types covered isn't the same as having something like Manaphy or Starmie covered as it's all about specific threat control. Use what you're comfortable with using, using compendiums to find general roles that suit your needs for the team, try to envision some sort of game plan, practice with said plan to make sure it's actually executable in practice. Watching replays, using other peoples teams and cores as a foundation to study off of as to why certain choices were made or not made and what could or shouldn't be changed around. It still comes down to an experience aspect and depends on who you ask honestly. People will usually have different aspects but it's generally best to focus on anything you can use to your advantage at the very least knowledge wise.

p2

Banned deucer.
Is there a consensus on when to use Modest or Timid Gardevoir? Which do you prefer?
Also, I've been hearing a bit of hype with Slowking; what is its best spread in the metagame atm? I would do full physically defensive to help against M-Gross and survive as best I can against a M-Char, but I feel that might compromise its ability to switch in on Lando-I and the likes...?
I really prefer Timid, solely so you don't get outsped by other base 100s.

And one of Slowkings best sets is:
Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpA / 96 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail / Power Gem
- Ice Beam / Psyshock

"With the EV spread presented, Slowking avoids a 2HKO from Mega Charizard Y's Solar Beam. The Special Attack investment allows Power Gem to knock out Talonflame and Charizard Y while also knocking out Bisharp with Fire Blast. A Modest nature increases Slowking's power, allowing it to fire back hard; a Quiet nature should be used if Dragon Tail is run in order to retain maximum damage. As Slowking is rather slow to begin with, the little bit of Speed that is lost is negligible."

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What is a good spread for a Leftovers Excadrill, made to set and remove rocks? I am looking for a more defensive spread, not so much offense.
Max HP max spdef careful, you could run a little bit of speed for uninvested rotom-w and / or uninvested lando-t to hit them with a toxic or eq.

It can be hard to make your RMT stick out from the crowd, sometimes the right person just doesn't notice it. You can always PM/VM people with Fist badges like mine if you really want help with your team. Some of us are busy with IRL stuff but we try to take requests :)

I'll take a look later and see what I can do.

Edit: just glanced over your team. I think Flygon generally sends a bad signal to prospective raters. The OU Viability thread is a generally good indicator of what should be used on a serious OU team, even though Flygon has been on and off there a couple of times.
Take into account top tier threats which is usually indicated on viability rankings, making sure you have general resists to the majority of metagame trends while not being too weak to particular threats for example just because you think you have Fire types covered doesn't necessarily mean you have a certain threat like say, Charizard X covered. Having Water types covered isn't the same as having something like Manaphy or Starmie covered as it's all about specific threat control. Use what you're comfortable with using, using compendiums to find general roles that suit your needs for the team, try to envision some sort of game plan, practice with said plan to make sure it's actually executable in practice. Watching replays, using other peoples teams and cores as a foundation to study off of as to why certain choices were made or not made and what could or shouldn't be changed around. It still comes down to an experience aspect and depends on who you ask honestly. People will usually have different aspects but it's generally best to focus on anything you can use to your advantage at the very least knowledge wise.
Thank you so much guys, I'll take my time to see every thread you guys told me and study the how-to in order to build a competitive and effective team.
Just as a quick note, Celticpride, after one member reviewed my team I ran a lot of changes. I kept the essence by still having Charizard X and a dual screen setter, in this case is now Espeon, but now I'll take a deep analysis tomorrow. Thank you again, guys.

What are some sets that people have been using on Giratina? I've been trying to get into the suspect test but I have no idea what to use for Giratina-O.
You can probably just CP the ones in the SmogDex. The mixed set should probably up the speed EVs to 88 to outspeed +0 Jolly Gyarados, but the physical Defog one should be good to go since it just dumps EVs into Attack and Defense (assuming the council isn't screwing with us)

I can't log in, and I've seen a kid using my account.
For future reference, you should use the Showdown SQSA thread for stuff like this. I dug around there, and as Sparksblade said you should PM an admin (~) and tell them about it. If you have proof that the account was originally yours, they can reset the password. But, if you're littlelucario, why do you need an alt if your PS account was stolen? Moreover, why do other people have your password?

I go to an IB school, and I know 5-7 computer hackers in my grade alone, so that might help. The only proof that I would be able to muster is the you cannot log in message, and the fact that emails for "forgot my password" thingies don't go to my email for littlelucario anymore. I honestly have no idea what to do, as nothing like this has ever happened to me. :'(

My smogon account had its password changed by a kid in my grade who hacked into my account or he saw my password somehow because I have seen him using it, but I can't really do anything in fear of him doing real damage to my computer. Also, I can't really show any proof of it being my account because I'm not in the habit of taking screenshots and it's been years since I got the original confirmation email for smogon.
If you are joining PS by school, it's possible that all computers have the same IP (if your school is using an Internet Proxy). So it's possible that this IP is banned. You have to ask to a PS admin, writing on his Smogon Profile. Safely, I suggest you to change your Smogon password, too.

Edit: I see your message about resetting Smogon password, it's curious. Have you stored your Smogon credentials on your PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)