Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thunder Wave!!! Go around paralyzing EVERYTHING in your way!!!
Yeah Thunder Wave is a solid option too. I can't believe I forgot it.
Sap Sipper > Gooey on all Goodra sets. immunity to a type is pretty good.
Grass immunity isn't that great imo because it's not all that common of an offensive type, Goodra already resists it and most grass types move you see are special so Goodra takes next to nothing from them anyway. Goodra doesn't benefit from Sap Sipper's attack raise either. I'm not saying you shouldn't consider Sap Sipper, but it's not unquestionably better than Gooey. Also, Hydration Goodra is pretty great on a rain team.

Grass immunity isn't that great imo because it's not all that common of an offensive type, Goodra already resists it and most grass types move you see are special so Goodra takes next to nothing from them anyway. Goodra doesn't benefit from Sap Sipper's attack raise either. I'm not saying you shouldn't consider Sap Sipper, but it's not unquestionably better than Gooey. Also, Hydration Goodra is pretty great on a rain team.
I'd say Sap Sipper is useful for taking Leech Seeds and Spores. It's not the greatest thing in the world, but all of Goodra's abilities are pretty situational and Sap Sipper seems like the most useful.

ok so I'm not entirely sure this guys (cloyster) is OU, but I treat him like it so here's my build and tell me if it sucks, bear in mind that I needed a spiking wall to complement my fast, hard hitting dragons:

IV's: all are 31 but attack
Ev's: 252/0/252/4/0/0
Moves: Ice Beam, Hydro Pump, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes​
tell me what you think about him and what I should equip him with

ok so I'm not entirely sure this guys (cloyster) is OU, but I treat him like it so here's my build and tell me if it sucks, bear in mind that I needed a spiking wall to complement my fast, hard hitting dragons:

You are ignoring the two things that make Cloyster bordeline viable in OU: Shell Smash, and Skill Link.

Sorry if this sounds blunt, but that's not a very good set. If you want to use Cloyster in OU, you need to take advantage of his niche--a shell smasher that can break through Sturdy and Subs. Their are better options for a Spike setter, perhaps Roserade, or Skarmory for something more defensive. Start here, it may help you better understand Cloyster's function. :]

I do Rotation Battles at Restaurant Le Wow. There's no reason to train to level 100 though, you only need to get to 50 to participate in wifi battles. There are only a few exceptions for moves that are learned after level 50. (For reference, many moves learned after level 50 now can be taught at the move relearner in X/Y. For example, Volcarona used to learn Fiery Dance at level 100, but now also learns it at level 1. Same with Brave Bird Talonflame.)

This is how I train them:
(1) Level 3 EXP O-Power
(2) Lucky Egg on all pokemon that are being leveled up (you get one during the game in one of the hotels and you can steal them from wild Chansey in Friend Safari)
(3) EXP Share on if you are training more than two pokemon
(4) Front pokemon that does all the work is:
Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite-Y
Timid Nature
252 SpA, 252 Spe
-Aura Sphere
-Psystrike
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
(Mega-X works also with a specially-oriented build, but it's better if you use a physical one.) Mewtwo is caught at level 70 in X/Y, and the pokemon you battle in Le Wow are mid-60s. So without any additional training, the cartridge's Mewtwo is still able to 2HKO everything I think. Regardless, if you do this enough, your Mewtwo will also level to 100 eventually, at which point it can OHKO everything with a neutral coverage move. If you find your level 70 Mewtwo is not quite OHKOing anything, then replace Ice Beam with Calm Mind. Set up one or two CMs and then sweep with neutral moves. (In some of the battles, at least 2 of the 3 pokemon you face share a weakness to one of the moves on this set, while the third is neutral.)

(5) Simply put Mewtwo (Mega-Y) at the front of the party to solo battle the entire restaurant. The next two pokemon get full EXP as if they participated (special mechanic of rotation battles) and all other pokemon will get 50% EXP from the EXP-Share. I also suggest EV-training your pokemon before battling in the restaurant. (The easiest way to EV-train is by using Sweet Scent horde battles with Pokerus. Even without Pokerus, it is faster than Super Training.)

With Lucky Egg + Level 3 O-Power, almost all pokemon (except those that have a high experience requirement) will get to level 49 or 50 by the end of Sweet Scent horde EV-training and one round of the restaurant battles. Max friendship pokemon also get more experience, so that is an option if you plan on raising their friendship anyway. If you have two cartridges (or downloaded copies) you can also trade the pokemon since traded pokemon gain more experience also. But Lucky Egg + L3O-Power is sufficient and likely all that most people will be able to do.

Before I had level 3 O-Power, I never had to do more than two rounds of the restaurant battles though. Each round takes about 10 minutes maybe (?), probably less if you have animations off. It's very quick. (Also note that since all of the battles are fought in succession, the O-Power will not expire until the end of the entire round.) This is also a good place to use Money O-Power if you need money for some reason.
sorry if i'm late to reply but thank you SOOO much for the informative reply! i'm really working to make the perfect miltank and prove people wrong in competitive battles, because i honestly believe it's viable in OU with enough work! i know there will usually be a pokemon out there better but i just want to try it out

now to put your guide to use ^_^

Question about Synchronoise.
Does the pokemon it's used against have to be the EXACT typing or can it be one of the types if the user is a dual type?

What I generally like to do is collect a full inventory of eggs, then hit the Hatch Power and just roll until it finishes. You sorta waste a lot of Hatch Power if you stop to release+reload every time one hatches.

I may be a bad person to take advice from though, because I'm bad at MM'ing; I tend to also check the IVs of the offspring so I can keep the good ones as trade fodder. Not a bad idea depending on whether you're breeding something decent, because good-IV good-nature Pokemon are often in decent demand and you can get some great stuff in trades.

If you're Masuda'ing Luvdisc, though, you might... might just want to pitch those.
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking if I reload after one the hatch power would apply to that egg too. The thing is I get impatient and I don't like to shake my DS 4001 times to get the level 4 regeneration =p Do you do it with level 4 regeneration or do you find it works well to go 5 at a time with level 1? I guess I could always do 5 at a time while hatch power is on and reload after 1 or 2 when I don't have enough energy for it.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking if I reload after one the hatch power would apply to that egg too. The thing is I get impatient and I don't like to shake my DS 4001 times to get the level 4 regeneration =p Do you do it with level 4 regeneration or do you find it works well to go 5 at a time with level 1? I guess I could always do 5 at a time while hatch power is on and reload after 1 or 2 when I don't have enough energy for it.
I usually just go until the energy is all used up then take a break. Like I said I don't often simply reload, because most of the time I can find uses for the non-shiny offspring.

Is adamant Mega Pinsir a thing? I keep outspeeding it with things I shouldn't.
Jolly trades a stronger quick attack for a faster return. Adamant trades a faster return for stronger quick attack. Keep in mind too M-Pinsir is base 105 speed--good, but not fantastic. You won't outspeed positive base 100 pokemon, the most significant of which being Mega Charizard Y which can now check you whereas it couldn't before because it can't take even a jolly return.

EDIT: Sorry, misread your post. Thought you said "I keep outspeeding things with it that I shouldn't." I guess I'd say, I don't know if it's a "thing," but I don't think it's a great idea. Maybe check the usage stats.

EDIT 2: I was curious:

+----------------------------------------+
| Spreads |
| Jolly:4/252/0/0/0/252 26.321% |
| Adamant:252/252/0/0/4/0 16.229% |
| Jolly:0/252/0/0/4/252 12.970% |
| Adamant:4/252/0/0/0/252 10.256% |
| Jolly:0/252/4/0/0/252 9.984% |
| Adamant:0/252/0/0/4/252 5.673% |
| Other 18.567% |
+----------------------------------------+
So Jolly is used about 49% of the time, and Adamant 32% of the time. Although, we don't know what "other" is, it could be fully adamant but weird EV spreads.

I usually just go until the energy is all used up then take a break. Like I said I don't often simply reload, because most of the time I can find uses for the non-shiny offspring.
Oh, okay. I tend to keep good hatchlings up to half a box and then just motor through the rest of the eggs until I get the shiny. Anyway, thanks for your responses.

Last edited:
252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 234-278 (60.9 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mienshao Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 330-390 (85.9 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 140-166 (38.4 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Mienshao Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 196-232 (53.8 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Mienshao Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 160-190 (43.9 - 52.1%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO

Running itemless Pokemon is a waste, imo. You will often find yourself not being knocked off and then you would have just wasted the opportunity to use an item.

Mienshao really likes Life Orb, and even Choice Band or Scarf are viable.
Just bear in mind that that 2HKO on MVenu costs you a significant amount of your damage on everything that isn't Grass/Poison specifically.

252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 190-224 (58.6 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 127-151 (39.1 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Mienshao Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 146-172 (45 - 53%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Probable 2HKO on Aegislash through Shield Forme with Life Orb, 3HKO without

252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 317-374 (98.4 - 116.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Mienshao Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 244-288 (75.7 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Near-guaranteed 1HKO on Zapdos with LO Stone Edge, 2HKO without

252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 712-842 (101.1 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 548-648 (77.8 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Guaranteed 1HKO on any imaginable Chansey set with LO, 2HKO leaving you open for a Thunder Wave or for a Wish to be prepared without

MVenu isn't scary enough to screw Mienshao's offensive threat against virtually every other target of note for it.
First, I'd like to say sorry if I seemed like an arrogant haughty slag. I was just actually blown away by the MVenu calcs as it had become a large problem to my cart team, and the thought of dispatching it just like that seemed too good to pass up.

You two were right though. Aside from surprising a few grass and fighting types, Mienshao simply couldn't break through anything if it wasn't weak to acrobatics or HJK; it was way too weak. I overestimated it. I did manage to kill exactly two mega venusaur with it, however, but it just... sucked. Was hoping to save the LO for a different teammate. It's still nice in game, and I might try for a HP Ice one someday.

But now I have more questions.

Question / thoughts 1: Is thief worth running on scizor?
I figured, being able to hit megas for 90 dark type damage, and being able to consistently do so might be cool, but knock off pree good, but I dunno if I want to try and score myself a KO Scizor in Gen5.

Questions / thoughts 2:
I got a Female Monferno in a Level Ball from wonder trade probably about a week and a half ago. It had the Kalos Born mark, with egg moves (thunder punch / fire punch / assist / quick guard if it matters ) and unfortunately rather poor IVs. It actually looks quite nice with it. But isn't it illegal? How could someone even create something like that? Would people be ok if I bred more Chimchar in such balls? But the main question is: Does this illegality affect... any sort of battling what so ever? I'd rather not end up permabanned from wifi ( no idea if that can happen either ) so I haven't used it / tried it out yet.
Would it be banned from say, VGC tournaments? Let's say it's one that allows NationalDex, since iirc this year's is KalosDex only.
What about any other less official tournaments, say a smogon run one?
What about online battles, in any format.

Yeah that one had a lot of questions in one, my bad.

Questions / thoughts 3:
What are some excellent mixed wall breakers not named Infernape and MegaGarchomp? Truthfully, even if they're not OU because of speed, I would be welcome to hear it, I just sort of want to see what kind of criteria and examples are for each.

Questions / thoughts 4:
What is a good core that resists Dark? I figured Mandibuzz + something, but I figured there'd probably be more I could use than that. Maybe.

Questions / thoughts 5:
Last one I swear. This might sound silly, but how do I pass down high level up moves? Like breeding a Shroomish with spore; using a ditto leaves it with a level up move instead of Spore like I want.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sergetank

Question / thoughts 1: Is thief worth running on scizor?
I figured, being able to hit megas for 90 dark type damage, and being able to consistently do so might be cool, but knock off pree good, but I dunno if I want to try and score myself a KO Scizor in Gen5.
Thief is good, but Knock Off has more utility. If you can get it, then do it.

I got a Female Monferno in a Level Ball from wonder trade probably about a week and a half ago. It had the Kalos Born mark, with egg moves (thunder punch / fire punch / assist / quick guard if it matters ) and unfortunately rather poor IVs. It actually looks quite nice with it. But isn't it illegal? How could someone even create something like that? Would people be ok if I bred more Chimchar in such balls? But the main question is: Does this illegality affect... any sort of battling what so ever? I'd rather not end up permabanned from wifi ( no idea if that can happen either ) so I haven't used it / tried it out yet.
Would it be banned from say, VGC tournaments? Let's say it's one that allows NationalDex, since iirc this year's is KalosDex only.
What about any other less official tournaments, say a smogon run one?
What about online battles, in any format.
As a rule of thumb, if something has the blue pentagon (and can therefore participate in VGC tournaments where it's not kalos-only), it's 100% legal. It can have that ball if a female Pokemon it can breed with was caught in a Level Ball and transferred over to XY, where it breeds with a male Chimchar to produce Chimchars in a Level Ball.

Sergetank

As a rule of thumb, if something has the blue pentagon (and can therefore participate in VGC tournaments where it's not kalos-only), it's 100% legal. It can have that ball if a female Pokemon it can breed with was caught in a Level Ball and transferred over to XY, where it breeds with a male Chimchar to produce Chimchars in a Level Ball.
The ball, I think, is unobtainable... you need a female of the species in the ball to breed it down, so someone apparently has a female Chimchar in a Level Ball somehow. I wasn't aware that it was possible to obtain them in anything but a Poke Ball or a Dream Ball.

Ball type is "unbreedable" in a sense because only a female of a species can pass down either species or Ball Type, thus requiring that at some point you obtained a wild-caught female.

I mean, if you can generate and hatch an egg of a pokemon through normal breeding , theoretically it's legal for use because the game can't create a non-legal Pokemon through breeding. I don't honestly know if that Level Ball will get it dinged from tournaments, where they check more closely, but you're not going to get banned from wifi for using it.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Actually, you're right. Since you can't catch Chimchar in the wild, then a Chimchar in a Level Ball shouldn't be obtainable..

However, ideally, you can get Level Balls from Kurt in HG/SS. Catch a female wild Pokemon with it (the one you want to make), and breed it with a male Pokemon in XY until you get a female one. Then, breed said Pokemon, which should be in a Level Ball, with a male Pokemon that it can breed with.

It's simple, and it's completely legit. It might make breeding a bit rough because you'll get a wild pokemon with potentially no perfect IV, but it's still doable.

Is there a list of egg moves that are only obtainable in kalos if one of the initial parents was transferred through pokebank? Like defog scyther. Or can some people just give me a few off the top of their heads?

My Copy arrived today, I'm 100% spoiler free, so no spoilers aside from the answer to my question pls.

On the backside of the game, it says that the game is not compatible with other Pokémon games. Does that mean there's a full reset in connectivity like in Gen III where you couldn't trade with older games at all?
That means that you can't trade with past games, and the only way to get pokemon from other games is by Poke-Transfer or by trading from X to Y or vice versa. Hope this helped!

Crawdaunt
N:Adamant
I:Focus Sash
A:Adaptability
EVs:252 Atk 252 Spe 4 HP
M1:Dragon Dance
M2:Aqua Jet
M3:Knock Off
M4:Crabhammer

Is this a good set for a competetive crawdaunt? I have been wanting to use one for a while and finally am able to. Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

Crawdaunt
N:Adamant
I:Focus Sash
A:Adaptability
EVs:252 Atk 252 Spe 4 HP
M1:Dragon Dance
M2:Aqua Jet
M3:Knock Off
M4:Crabhammer

Is this a good set for a competetive crawdaunt? I have been wanting to use one for a while and finally am able to. Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)
Crawdaunt is a very cool pokemon and dragon dance is an amazing set up move for a physical attacker. However, because Crawdaunt is very frail and its speed still isn't that great after a DD, he finds himself easily revenge killed as a sweeper. Focus sash can help, but unless you are using it as a dedicated lead (little reason to), it will often be broken due to hazards and you have to clear them away to keep your item making it unreliable. So it is best for him to run a choice band/life orb set for immediate power.

Pretty much just replace sash with choice band or life orb and DD with crunch or swords dance. You can use swords dance to get by some walls easier but obviously use it with a life orb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)