Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 184 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 273-322 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO for guaranteed
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 8 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 322-382 (99.6 - 118.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO for a chance
Thanks :) Yeah I don't think it's worth spending those many EV's just to survive one Pokemon, I'll just switch out lol

Working on a Rotom-W. Reading the set it says it can be specially defensive as well. Does that mean to change the Bold nature to something else, or remain same and just adjust EVs.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Question about the suspect ladder: What is 'B' in the equation this time? I read Antars post on it, and I don't remember seeing what B was on the thread, just the required COIL. It's not terribly important, but it would be nice if I could get the number so I know how many games I have to play for reqs.

If Greninja is burned but then used HP Fire, does it

a) Take burn damage that turn?
b) get cured of burn?

Same question for paralysis (HP Electric) and poison (HP Steel, HP Poison (lol))

On showdown it doesnt but just wonder if it's different in-game

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
If Greninja is burned but then used HP Fire, does it

a) Take burn damage that turn?
b) get cured of burn?

Same question for paralysis (HP Electric) and poison (HP Steel, HP Poison (lol))

On showdown it doesnt but just wonder if it's different in-game
It would be neat if it worked like that, but alas it doesn't. Greni will stay burned and take burn damage as normal even if it becomes a Fire-type that turn. The same goes for the other statuses as well (of course paralysis doesn't damage you, but you can still get fully paralyzed for a turn).

Deleted User 220884

Banned deucer.
Yes, if greninja is faster than the opponent, and uses HP Fire (expecting not a prankster), and the opponent use Wil'O'Wisp, it wont have any effect. Just like using HP Grass, and getting spored, you'd be immune to it.

But if the type switch happens before the burn move or thunder wave is used, then Greninja would be fine, right?
Essentially, the types factor in to whether or not the Pokemon can be inflicted with a status condition, but once it's on them, they're affected just as anything else would be.

What is everyone's opinion on using Manaphy as opposed to Politoed as a rain setter for a rain team? I've been using Politoed and I've found that it dies way too fast without accomplishing a thing sometimes, while Manaphy can restore its HP with Rest and wake up on the same turn if rain is up thanks to its ability.

What is everyone's opinion on using Manaphy as opposed to Politoed as a rain setter for a rain team? I've been using Politoed and I've found that it dies way too fast without accomplishing a thing sometimes, while Manaphy can restore its HP with Rest and wake up on the same turn if rain is up thanks to its ability.
Manaphy could work I guess, but you might have to adjust your strategy or team slightly. Since Manaphy's rain requires 2 turns (one to switch in, one to set it), you not only get a bit less time with it, but Manaphy eats a bit more momentum and damage, unless the rain is mainly for his benefit.

I could see Manaphy as a viable rain setter, but he may require more support in return to do the job effectively.

manaphy can set up rain and u-turn out to someone else, rest to keep it healthy throughout the match, but it also compounds weaknesses with others on your team. this is coming from someone whose favourite pokemon is manaphy/phione, but it seems like a good idea but actually isn't.

deoxys is much better, deo-D being a much better bulky version and deo-S being a much more reliable setter due to its speed. they can taunt and magic bounce attempts to stop them from setting up and can additionally set up SR and spikes or screens if you're feeling bold.

they are getting suspected, so they may not be an option for very long, but i absolutely love uxie and jirachi as good rain setters (i used them in gen IV back when deo was banned). both have u-turn for great switches. neither compound weaknesses with the rest of your team, rain clears up jirachi's fire weakness, jirachi can also wishpass, both have access to stealth rock.
jirachi can even fire off -% accuracy thunders with 60% chance of paralysis and water pulse with 40% confusion (granted you get one from gen IV), but you should probably use this as a secondary function, not primary.
i'm also a fan of celebi due to its resistances complementing water types, but talonflame can be a problem for it.

imo, if you want to use manaphy in a rain team, it should be offensively oriented (tail glow + 3 attacks or tail glow / rest + 2 attacks), not support.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Manaphy is usually meant to abuse her own rain. IIRC, the standard Rain Dance Manaphy Set is: Calm Mind / Rain Dance / Rest / Scald with Max HP and Def. If Toed is dying too fast, then try a more defensive set. If that doesnt work, then idk what to tell you :/

Manaphy is usually meant to abuse her own rain. IIRC, the standard Rain Dance Manaphy Set is: Calm Mind / Rain Dance / Rest / Scald with Max HP and Def. If Toed is dying too fast, then try a more defensive set. If that doesnt work, then idk what to tell you :/
I've been using that exact set and oh my lord, it works fantastic on this team. Thanks!

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
can you burn thick fat pokemon? used 24 fire punches on a thick fat mon and got no burns. just want to know if im just unlucky.

can you burn thick fat pokemon? used 24 fire punches on a thick fat mon and got no burns. just want to know if im just unlucky.
Haven't seen anything explicitly say that Fire Punch can't burn a Thick Fat mon. I assume it would, because Bulbapiedia didnt say anything about it of course I could be completely wrong

Thick Fat only reduces the damage, it doesn't have an effect on the status effect. You're probably just unlucky, considering Fire Punch is only a 10% chance anyway.

Hey dudes, quick question. I know about the defense tiers calculator on that spanish site, but I'm wondering how to maximize bulk for pokemon expected to lose hp at a regular rate, IE via life orb or belly drum. It stands to reason that if you are expending hps as part of your strategy, then the EVs you place in hp count for less bulk because you lose more as a flat percentage when executing your strategy. Does anyone have some resources for figuring this out?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
What's the chance of a pokemon using an 80% accuracy move while paralysed, hitting three times in a row?

is it (0.75 * 0.8)^3 = 0.216?

had a battle where my paralysed ttar hit stone edge three times in a row and would like to know what the odds are of that happening, and I'm unsure if my math is correct

What's the chance of a pokemon using an 80% accuracy move while paralysed, hitting three times in a row?

is it (0.75 * 0.8)^3 = 0.216?

had a battle where my paralysed ttar hit stone edge three times in a row and would like to know what the odds are of that happening, and I'm unsure if my math is correct
That's correct.

Is Sand Veil Garchomp banned in XY OU? I know it was banned in 5th gen because of perma-sand. Now with the weather nerf, I'm hoping I can finally use my Sinnoh Garchomp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)