Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, males and females can both pass egg moves in 6th gen. But for your particular situation, it doesn't matter as Dark Pulse is a TM.
I totally forgot about it being a TM, i've been doing most of my breeding on my Y version, and i've only got the second badge. Thanks for the information though!

What happened to people running quiet and brave aegislash so that you could have shield stance for as long as possible?
People still do that, in fact Quiet:252/4/0/252/0/0 was the most common spread last month. But others run some speed to get the drop on things like min speed Heatran or min speed Tyranitar, since lots of things will be faster than Aegislash anyway.

Is there anything that speed ties with a Max Speed + Timid Mega Manectric? Because I just bred one with ONE SPEED BELOW ITS MAX (With HP Ice) and would like to know if I should keep breeding

Is there anything that speed ties with a Max Speed + Timid Mega Manectric? Because I just bred one with ONE SPEED BELOW ITS MAX (With HP Ice) and would like to know if I should keep breeding
HP ice is like mandatory on that thing, I'd keep the shit out of that guy :D 1 speed point isn't really going to matter. Nothing else has base 135 speed, and the only fully evolved thing that can hit exactly 205 speed (I assume we're talking level 50 here) while running 252 speed, positive nature, and a scarf, is Malamar, which you'll never see and which doesn't ever run those things anyway =p You won't end up speed tying with anything worth mentioning either.

one thing ive always been confused about was how stat boosts and reductions work with abilities that double a stat. Like lets say a kingdra switches into sticky web while its raining. Is its speed doubled, then -1 (multiplier of .67) is applied to that new speed stat? Or does it count swift swim as +2 to speed and it is now sitting at +1 speed? Same with intimidate and huge power mons.

one thing ive always been confused about was how stat boosts and reductions work with abilities that double a stat. Like lets say a kingdra switches into sticky web while its raining. Is its speed doubled, then -1 (multiplier of .67) is applied to that new speed stat? Or does it count swift swim as +2 to speed and it is now sitting at +1 speed? Same with intimidate and huge power mons.
Abilities like swift swim are not stat boosts, thus they stack with stat boosts rather than changing them.

So in the case of Kingdra in the rain switching into sticky web, it would be lowered to -1, which is 0.67 (2/3) speed, and then doubled. Thus final speed stat is (2/3)*2 = 4/3x or 1.333x speed. For a more concrete example, imagine something has a speed stat of 300. Sticky web would take it down to 300*(2/3) or 200, then swift swim would double it to 400. (Which is 1.333x its original speed of 300)

I'm looking for a Stealth Rock setter for a Hyper Offensive Rain team that can also effectively use a good Fire move. Does anyone know a pokemon that fits these criteria really well?

I've been using Sash Garchomp till now and it gives some nice wallbreaking ability to my team. However, I've also realized that my team could use a way to deal with Talonflame a little better. So my second question is whether Tyranitar could function in a rain team or not. The sand disrupts the rain but that might actually work well with Politoed's Drizzle.

Edit: I just realized that Heatran might be almost exactly what I want, except that it might not be the best fit with Hyper Offense. I would still appreciate any other suggestions but I will play around with Heatran.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a Stealth Rock setter for a Hyper Offensive Rain team that can also effectively use a good Fire move. Does anyone know a pokemon that fits these criteria really well?

I've been using Sash Garchomp till now and it gives some nice wallbreaking ability to my team. However, I've also realized that my team could use a way to deal with Talonflame a little better. So my second question is whether Tyranitar could function in a rain team or not. The sand disrupts the rain but that might actually work well with Politoed's Drizzle.

Edit: I just realized that Heatran might be almost exactly what I want, except that it might not be the best fit with Hyper Offense. I would still appreciate any other suggestions but I will play around with Heatran.
Infernape?

I am running Sash Garchomp actually. I have Outrage instead of Stone Edge as my way to attack Talonflame. However, Garchomp is 2HKO'd by Brave Bird so it can't switch into Talonflame.

Right now, my main strategy for Talonflame is to let it kill something and bring in Thundurus-I, or if rain is up, I can switch to Kabutops. For this reason, Tyranitar seems a really good choice except I'm not sure how the sand interacts with the rain. I guess if the sand is the dealbreaker, I could use unnerve.

Things that set up stealth rocks aren't generally hyper offensive. HO mons are more similar to glass cannons, meaning usually they don't want to waste a turn taking a hit, so HO teams will generally include one, more defensive pokemon to set up hazards and act as a pivot when necessary.

Does anyone else feel like OU is a little stale? Everyone plays the same. Switch a million times, spam the same legendary pokes that out class everything else, choice items, etc. I've become forced to play the same way if I want to go up in the ranks and it sucks being forced to use all these pokes I'm not too fond of just because they outspeed and are bulkier. Does this feeling ever pass? I have felt it for a long time and had to abandon my team a while ago just to keep up with all of the Heatrans, thund/landorus', keldos, latis , and terrakions.

Does anyone else feel like OU is a little stale? Everyone plays the same. Switch a million times, spam the same legendary pokes that out class everything else, choice items, etc. I've become forced to play the same way if I want to go up in the ranks and it sucks being forced to use all these pokes I'm not too fond of just because they outspeed and are bulkier. Does this feeling ever pass? I have felt it for a long time and had to abandon my team a while ago just to keep up with all of the Heatrans, thund/landorus', keldos, latis , and terrakions.
I disagree with the way you disparage switching and "legendary pokes," but on the whole, I did feel that way after a while of playing OU too. Just play a different meta for a while (UU and especially Ubers are what helped me have more fun again), after a while OU will seem less stale. Overall though, Smogon is a competitive place so if you're not looking to battle people using the best pokemon in any given tier, you'll have to just play with your friends or find a community that's not so competitive.

I disagree with the way you disparage switching and "legendary pokes," but on the whole, I did feel that way after a while of playing OU too. Just play a different meta for a while (UU and especially Ubers are what helped me have more fun again), after a while OU will seem less stale. Overall though, Smogon is a competitive place so if you're not looking to battle people using the best pokemon in any given tier, you'll have to just play with your friends or find a community that's not so competitive.
I do enjoy competetive play. In other games there is a lot of room for viability and in the end come down to skill vs pick. I got into vgc for a bit and I think it had a lot of room for viable teams. But it really feels like the options are limited in OU. The ones I listed require specific counters bc they outspeed and are bulky enough to shut down a majority of pokes that are in OU. It just feels like every other team is the same. I have done a bunch of research and trials and the same 5 pokes have limited counters/checks.

Why not volcanion aerodactyl? He can learn fire fang, sr and gives you greatly support vs talonflame.

That's why I prefer playing on WiFi in game. You still get the legendaries (including ubers) but they won't be flawless or right-natured, which evens them out.

Stick to battling those with 100+ wins and you get some good games too.

Ironically, for all Smogon's valiant attempts to even out OU and create a level playing field, the anarchy of WiFi combined with the effort you have to put into breeding seems to do the job better.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I do enjoy competetive play. In other games there is a lot of room for viability and in the end come down to skill vs pick. I got into vgc for a bit and I think it had a lot of room for viable teams. But it really feels like the options are limited in OU. The ones I listed require specific counters bc they outspeed and are bulky enough to shut down a majority of pokes that are in OU. It just feels like every other team is the same. I have done a bunch of research and trials and the same 5 pokes have limited counters/checks.
Like the others said, if you're getting burnt out on OU there are plenty of other tiers and metagames you can try out both on showdown and ingame. I'm personally really enjoying the fornightly battle spot tournaments that have been going on as pretty much every one is a completely different meta and forces me to try out formats I know very little about like rotations or triples.

Yeah you guys are right. It just sucks that I can outplay people without using S/A+ rank pokemon, but still lose. Then when I made the switch to a few higher stat pokemon, I started winning a lot more. It feels like it takes the skill out of the game if the only difference in wins for me is the pokemon I use even though the strategy and gameplay is the same. It's as if the skill gap has to be extreme in order to win against a top tier OU team. I know Smogon tries to balance things, but it just feels like no matter what, there will always be dominating pokemon/strategies that make others obsolete and I have no control over it.

I still do play VGC and managed to climb up, but wanted to see if I can climb in OU too. I just feel so restricted in what is actually viable in OU.

Yeah you guys are right. It just sucks that I can outplay people without using S/A+ rank pokemon, but still lose. Then when I made the switch to a few higher stat pokemon, I started winning a lot more. It feels like it takes the skill out of the game if the only difference in wins for me is the pokemon I use even though the strategy and gameplay is the same. It's as if the skill gap has to be extreme in order to win against a top tier OU team. I know Smogon tries to balance things, but it just feels like no matter what, there will always be dominating pokemon/strategies that make others obsolete and I have no control over it.

I still do play VGC and managed to climb up, but wanted to see if I can climb in OU too. I just feel so restricted in what is actually viable in OU.
The viable list /looks/ lengthy but a lot on it have similar types and so don't really work together. As such, viable /teams/ are much more limited in scope.

So yeah, I agree with you, basically.

Much more is viable on WiFi because opponents are more varied, which means you need a wider range of counters. E.g. Assault Vest Tentacruel I find to be a really useful check to a really wide range of special threats on WiFi. But it isn't really OU viable at all because it is no good against the half dozen basic OU team archetypes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)