Other ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread V2 - Check Post #2500 PG. 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Milotic is pretty much outclassed by Manaphy and Alomomola defensively, and most offensive water types offensively. Marvel Scale is pretty cool and all, but for your calcs, you can't assume every time you switch in on something, you are going to be statused, unless your opponent gets up Toxic Spikes, which are pretty dang rare right now, or you come in on a Breloom or something, in which case, it can beat you with Bullet Seed. Manaphy has less bulk sure, but am ability that doesn't rely on it getting wittled down in order to have slightly more psychical bulk. Will-O-Wispers probably wouldn't stay in vs. a bulky water anyway, and Toxic, even with Marvel Scale, can hurt significantly if you stay in for too long. Mola also has a better ability, because getting health everytime you either make a double-switch or just switch out, you get a lot of your health back, which can really determine if you are 2HKOed or not. Haze is decent, but you can always use Haze on Pokemon like Quagsire anyway, which has Unaware, which walls your mentioned set-up Pokemon most of the time anyway. The only real use I can see out of Miltoic is an offensive Competitive set, which is really outclassed by anything, but even then, it's only decent at best. Though I guess I can see Milotic at D-Rank because of the Competitive set.

Plus you are going to side with the man who said this?

Last edited:
Milotic is pretty much outclassed by Manaphy and Alomomola defensively, and most offensive water types offensively. Marvel Scale is pretty cool and all, but for your calcs, you can't assume every time you switch in on something, you are going to be statused, unless your opponent gets up Toxic Spikes, which are pretty dang rare right now, or you come in on a Breloom or something, in which case, it can beat you with Bullet Seed. Manaphy has less bulk sure, but am ability that doesn't rely on it getting wittled down in order to have slightly more psychical bulk. Will-O-Wispers probably wouldn't stay in vs. a bulky water anyway, and Toxic, even with Marvel Scale, can hurt significantly if you stay in for too long. Mola also has a better ability, because getting health everytime you either make a double-switch or just switch out, you get a lot of your health back, which can really determine if you are 2HKOed or not. Haze is decent, but you can always use Haze on Pokemon like Quagsire anyway, which has Unaware, which walls your mentioned set-up Pokemon most of the time anyway. The only real use I can see out of Miltoic is an offensive Competitive set, which is really outclassed by anything, but even then, it's only decent at best. Though I guess I can see Milotic at D-Rank because of the Competitive set.

Well the common WoW users can actually deal with milotic easily

Mega gard

232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Milotic: 186-219 (47.3 - 55.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage

0 SpA Milotic Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 67-79 (24.1 - 28.5%) -- 97.3% chance to 4HKO

rotom will just volt switch out knowing he most likely will be quicker and even if her isn't

0 SpA Milotic Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 41-48 (13.4 - 15.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever

0 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Milotic: 132-156 (33.5 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage

bulky zard X

0 SpA Milotic Scald vs. 248 HP / 148+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 76-91 (21.1 - 25.3%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO

0 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Marvel Scale Milotic: 81-96 (20.6 - 24.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage

bulky zard y,not sure of the set though

0 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Milotic: 212-250 (53.9 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage

0 SpA Milotic Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 74-90 (24.9 - 30.3%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO

even if zard y hasn't invested in anything it beats milotic

mega sabelye

0 SpA Milotic Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 57-67 (18.7 - 22%) -- possible 5HKO

Mega gard

232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Milotic: 186-219 (47.3 - 55.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage

0 SpA Milotic Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 67-79 (24.1 - 28.5%) -- 97.3% chance to 4HKO

rotom will just volt switch out knowing he most likely will be quicker and even if her isn't

0 SpA Milotic Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 41-48 (13.4 - 15.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever

0 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Milotic: 132-156 (33.5 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage

bulky zard X

0 SpA Milotic Scald vs. 248 HP / 148+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 76-91 (21.1 - 25.3%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO

0 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Marvel Scale Milotic: 81-96 (20.6 - 24.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage

0 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Milotic: 212-250 (53.9 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage

0 SpA Milotic Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 74-90 (24.9 - 30.3%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO

mega sabelye

0 SpA Milotic Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 57-67 (18.7 - 22%) -- possible 5HKO
I was thinking of mostly Heatran and Talonflame, but yeah.

what can milotic do other things cant do better?? i havent really used it but it just seems rlly passive,lackluster, and outclassed by other bulky waters. jsjs. i mean from what i see now, i really wouldnt like it being ranked, maybe someone can convince me otherwise tho.
It's not passive, you can't really set-up on it like on amo.

I'm not even going to talk about offensive Milotic. I fail to see how Manaphy outclasses it defensively. It doesn't even have a good healing move outside of rain. Amo has more bulk yes. But it's super passive. Your opponent will try to setup on it. Your opponent can't effectively set up on milotic. And come on, toxic spikes? Do you know what the most common move nowadays Scald does? Milotic loves to eat that move, you can figure the rest out yourself. Quagsire is a good mention, the difference would lie in if it's typing is good for your team though I think that Milotic will take hits from todays threats better than Quag.

Mega gard

bulky zard X

mega sabelye

I don't understand these calcs... Milotic is going to tank physical hits not take smashes from the most powerfull special threats ??

-

Also I change my mind about Serperior. If your opponent slips slightly this thing can cause havoc straight out of the blue. C+ for sure if not in B.

Last edited:
I'm not even going to talk about offensive Milotic. I fail to see how Manaphy outclasses it defensively. It doesn't even have a good healing move outside of rain. Amo has more bulk yes. But it's super passive. Your opponent will try to setup on it. Your opponent can't effectively set up on milotic. And come on, toxic spikes? Do you know what the most common move nowadays Scald does? Milotic loves to eat that move, you can figure the rest out yourself. Quagsire is a good mention, the difference would lie in if it's typing is good for your team though I think that Milotic will take hits from todays threats better than Quag.
Manaphy has better overall bulk, doesn't rely on getting wittled down most of the time in order to have a passable defense stat. And Alo doesn't have to rely on a 30 percent chance on a move in order to have psychical bulk. And if you are really worried about having someone set up on you, you can always run Waterfall, which is pretty decent tbh. It passes huge wishes, has the fantastic support move in Healing Wish, can heal status with Refresh, and more. Overall, defensive Milotic is just outclassed by a lot of common water types in order to be ranked, but offensive Milotic however is a different story. Sure, it isn't the best offensive water type, Keldeo and Manaphy are still better, but Competitive gives Milotic a big enough niche to be in D-Rank.

And also, those Pokemon you listed beat Milotic 1v1 unless hax.
0 SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Milotic: 164-194 (41.7 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and burn damage
+1 252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Marvel Scale Milotic: 184-217 (46.8 - 55.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and burn damage
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Electric vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Milotic: 160-190 (40.7 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and burn damage

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
There's not a good reason you would use milotic over any other capable water type in the tier both from an offensive and defensive stand point. You have keldeo, suicune, gyarados, alomomola, empoleon, etc. who all have legitimate use and viability based on the tier itself. Unless you're trying to be a hipster team builder or just doing it for the laughs there's not a good enough reason to be placing it in the rankings. Leave it unranked.

I don't understand these calcs... Milotic is going to tank physical hits not take smashes from the most powerfull special threats ??
I think you're missing the contradiction of your nomination. Your set's physical bulk relies on it having a status affect. That's already problematic since without it it's almost completely outclassed by Suicune bar Haze, which is not as good as Phazing moves, especially since Milotic is slower than just about everything you want to Haze anyways. Anyway, Milotic in practice will likely only be inflicted by a status in in one of 3 scenarios:

1. Against a stall mon using Toxic
2. Against a Scald User
3. Against a Will-o-Wisp user

In scenario 1, stall mons just aren't going to give 2 craps about your defense. In scenario 2, you're banking on a 30% for a Scald burn for your ability to even work. That's like banking on Focus Blast to miss: a bad idea. In the third scenario, it's already been explained how you lose or struggle against many of the more common Will-O-Wisp users, and unless I'm mistaken you can't even use Haze against Mega Sableye because of Magic Bounce. Overall, while you made Milotic look nice, the calcs are heavily slanted in your favor, and the only thing differentiating Milotic from the more common bulky waters is Haze, something that isn't particularly great in practice. Honestly, I'm just not seeing any real value in it.

A bit ninja'd but whatever.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even be opposed to blacklisting milotic, but idk, it does kinda have some sort of miniscule niche in competitive i guess? Doesn't seem like it's worth being discussed.

For the sake of having some actual content in this post, I'll say a bit more. I've changed my mind about omastar, it's fine for B+, its sheer power is actually a lot more than kingdra's from what I thought initially. The speed is a lot worse, but the power makes up for it.

It's not passive, you can't really set-up on it like on amo.
okay so this was the first thing that popped into my head when i read that
0 SpA Milotic Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 34-41 (10.2 - 12.3%) -- possible 9HKO
0 SpA Alomomola Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 17-21 (5.1 - 6.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever

while its not much like
thats not really gonna be doing much from any of them. i cant think of a situation where it'd make any difference. milo is passive and has no offensive presence and has to rely on burns from scald or toxic to do any damage (wow its almost like what alo does!)
but the difference is, alo has regenerator, knock off, HUGE hp, and its main niche being able to pass wishes. it doesn't do anything better except it haze? i guess? but like, just use tenta if you want that lmao.

I wouldn't even be opposed to blacklisting milotic, but idk, it does kinda have some sort of miniscule niche in competitive i guess? Doesn't seem like it's worth being discussed.
id like that, actually? it doesnt really generate productive discussion and its just...its just bad and outclassed...like, darmanitan-level outclassed...

I don't know if Omastar's power makes up for its speed enough to boost it to B+. Sure it's really powerful but it's still slower than a lot of common scarfers like Lando and Keldeo, which limits its potential. Kingdra might be weaker but you can pretty much set its EVs to ensure you're faster than absolutely everything while still retaining max power to run through most of the meta. Kindgra can also pull of a very viable and powerful mixed set with waterfall and outrage to beat things that would otherwise counter it.

The power Omastar brings is undeniable but I think Kingdra's superior speed, offensive typing, and the ability to go mixed make it the better rain abuser and therefore it should be ranked higher, so I would suggest keeping Omastar in B rank.

Edit: Just realised Adamantx covered pretty much all of this earlier in the thread. lol

As much as I like Milotic(you can see it in my signature) I really don't find a reason why would you use her over lets say, Suicune(who is better offensively and does better at taking hits without needing to rely on a status, and even with status Milotic does not do better.)

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 154-183 (38.1 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Marvel Scale Milotic: 132-156 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage

This is in the GOOD case that you have a status on, doubling defense is good, but take into account that the passive 10% damage of a burn is also in effect(which translates to 3.75% with leftovers recovery)

so in essence it would be:

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Marvel Scale Milotic: 132-156 (37.2 -43.25 %) per turn.

Which it is a very minimal difference compared to Suicune, if you are badly poisoned it turns out to be worse than him, so no it is not consistent at its role since it depends on your opponent statusing you, and even then it could be worse, so in the end it is not worth it.

Landorus-I for A or A-

This might seem a bit controversial for lando dropping but honestly I'm suprised it hasn't happened. Now don't get me wrong Landorus is a amazing pokemon especially vs stall and offense has trouble switching in on it bar the lati twins with the exception of knock off. Landorus should mainly drop for these reasons: The speed creep oras brought wasn't very kind to it and most new megas can knock it out with a certain move or heavily damage it. Also when you use landorus you can't use landorus-t which really sucks as lando-t is the best poke in the meta.

Landorus-I should go no lower than A rank simply because it's such a huge and diverse threat that can specifically tinker its set to beat whatever it wants to, bar Cresselia (although if they lacked Ice Beam you could beat it with CM + Sludge Wave in theory), which is rare in OU anyway. Situational counters such as Lati@s, Chansey, Celebi, SDef Gliscor etc can all be beaten or severely worn down by the appropriate move. In particular, RP Landorus-I is a highly underrated threat that can easily sweep most offensive teams once they have been slightly weakened, especially those that rely on Choice Scarf users/Prankster Thunder Wave to stop sweepers. CM is still a great way of beating stall teams when paired with Healing Wish support, and all out offensive sets with Knock Off or U-turn can still work very nicely too. While it does come with an opportunity cost as you have to give up on Landorus-T, and the ORAS metagame is perhaps slightly less kind to it overall, Landorus-I is something that should always be considered when teambuilding.

Umm, what about Milotic getting coil with ORAS? I can see a niche with competitive to come in on certain defoggers or even sticky web and start coiling to boost defense as well as to reliably use stronger less accurate moves such as Blizzard and Hydro Pump. Of course there's always scald to burn.

I think Milotic has enough going for it to be D rank. The closest comparable thing is gastrodon, but Milotic can do a little more on the offensive side

Bisharp and Thund are just way better at abusing defiant, and milotic is still pretty weak even at +2.
Coil doesn't really help it, except for boosting accuracy, unless you are using physical milotic or something...
I don't think milotic should be ranked.

Bisharp and Thund are just way better at abusing defiant, and milotic is still pretty weak even at +2.
Coil doesn't really help it, except for boosting accuracy, unless you are using physical milotic or something...
I don't think milotic should be ranked.
Show me some coiled up defense calcs against relevant threats if you don't mind. My battery is about to die, so I can't do it myself. I don't really see Milotic putting you at a severe disadavntage in comparison to all the other waters. You're kinda doing different things with each. Gatsro is probably blocking some electric thing, vap and mola are passing wishes, suicune is doing that cro thing on the special side, slowbro is regenerating or being mega and milotic is bulking and spreading burn and/or shuffling, while also discouraging defogs from things not named zapdos. With her a.d bisharp having different strenghts, perhaps one suits your team better than the other.

tornades t should rise because nijia was only making it almost useless bar o rain teams by outspeeding by 2 points but. with nijia becoming uber there is now room for a tonrnades t. Tornades t smakes things real hard with hurranie and chasey realy cant swithnc in fearing knock of. b to b + or a -

CLEFABLE to S.

In my experience since the Greninja ban, I've seen it on every team not packing Mega Altaria, and the only easy way I can seem to get around it is with confusion hax or destiny bond, it sets up very easy on most leads, and can abuse softboiled and magic guard while OHKOing other clefables on the switch-in. I know this sin't very long, but this is my two cents on why Clefable should move up. look back in the thread for better explanations.

Show me some coiled up defense calcs against relevant threats if you don't mind. My battery is about to die, so I can't do it myself. I don't really see Milotic putting you at a severe disadavntage in comparison to all the other waters. You're kinda doing different things with each. Gatsro is probably blocking some electric thing, vap and mola are passing wishes, suicune is doing that cro thing on the special side, slowbro is regenerating or being mega and milotic is bulking and spreading burn and/or shuffling, while also discouraging defogs from things not named zapdos. With her a.d bisharp having different strenghts, perhaps one suits your team better than the other.
As showed some calcs in some posts ago, Suicune outclasses Milotic, even if Milotic has Marvel scale activated the difference in taking hits is not that big(negligible if the status is a burn and actually worse if you are bad poisoned taking into account the passive damage they add), this show how inconsistent is to rely in Marvel Scale, and without it activated it is worse.

So in reality you could give the same moveset,nature,and stat distribution that you are using with Milotic to Suicune and it probably will do better, and before someone begans with the ''phazing with Haze being his niche'' or something like that, Suicune can still use Roar which is better for spreading burns,adding hazard damage, and possibly messing with your opponents strategy by taking away a predicted switch.

The fact that the ''best'' status you could get is paralyze(because no residual damage) is usually from Thundurus and Serperior makes the things worse, I suppose it should be obvious why.

As showed some calcs in some posts ago, Suicune outclasses Milotic, even if Milotic has Marvel scale activated the difference in taking hits is not that big(negligible if the status is a burn and actually worse if you are bad poisoned taking into account the passive damage they add), this show how inconsistent is to rely in Marvel Scale, and without it activated it is worse.

So in reality you could give the same moveset,nature,and stat distribution that you are using with Milotic to Suicune and it probably will do better, and before someone begans with the ''phazing with Haze being his niche'' or something like that, Suicune can still use Roar which is better for spreading burns,adding hazard damage, and possibly messing with your opponents strategy by taking away a predicted switch.

The fact that the ''best'' status you could get is paralyze(because no residual damage) is usually from Thundurus and Serperior makes the things worse, I suppose it should be obvious why.
You can't give Suicune Coil though. That's what I'm asking about. Calcs after a coil or two. You also can't give Suicune recover. Also, I'm not even talking about Marvel Scale, but competitive instead.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
CLEFABLE to S.

In my experience since the Greninja ban, I've seen it on every team not packing Mega Altaria, and the only easy way I can seem to get around it is with confusion hax or destiny bond.
If you only can win against Clefable with hax or d-bond, there is something wrong with your team. There are many answers to the MG CM set (the most common one) and sets like LO 3 Atks can be scouted for and you often already have a (semi-)answer for it in your team because special attackers are something every team you need to be covered for anyways and Clefable is not a special case. I am not 100% convinced for clefable in S rank yet, but I can see it going there because with the ban of Greninja it lost one of its checks and the standard offense builds (Keldeo/Lando/Lati@s) and balanced builds (Ferrothorn/Rotom-W/Heatran) often have problem with Clefable,. Not even talking about stall which can be worn down to a point where Clefable can sweep

You can't give Suicune Coil though. That's what I'm asking about. Calcs after a coil or two. You also can't give Suicune recover. Also, I'm not even talking about Marvel Scale, but competitive instead.
No, but you can give him Calm Mind, which is superior to Coil since the only useful stat it boosts is defense(calm mind boosts are more needed since it boosts his general defensive and offensive capabilities).

I don't see how will you get to 2 Coil boosts AND have the luck to be statused by something that is not Toxic(which will cripple you instantly), and even if somehow you get that I just need to bring an Elec/Grass( or any heavy special hitter in general) mon and hit you from the special side, which with such a passive mon it is not difficult to do,unlike suicune who after using 1 or 2 Calm Minds (which it can get much more easily because he does not rely on your opponent missplaying and statusing you)it has a respectable offensive presence and it will be difficult to hit from either physical or special side.

That was regarding Marvel Scale.

Now for Competitive... it just doesn't work, it does not have priority or a high speed stat(Bisharp, Tornadus) to be able to abuse the boosts, since even if you are at +2 a good CB or CSpecs user can bring you down... or any that can hit hard Milotic which is any physical attacker and Elec/Grass mons.

Coil is the same as using Harden for Milotic, if you carefully think of it, you will realize why it sucks(it can work with stuff like Hypnosis, but maybe in UU, since in OU you will never get the chance to do it consistently.)

I like Milotic, look at my sign, but it is not usable in OU meta, his best sets are outclassed, and his ''unique traits'' like Competitive cannot be abused and are not really something impressive.

I don't have anything more to say, or explain in regards of it, aside from :

Leave Milotic unranked.

No, but you can give him Calm Mind, which is superior to Coil since the only useful stat it boosts is defense(calm mind boosts are more needed since it boosts his general defensive and offensive capabilities).

I don't see how will you get to 2 Coil boosts AND have the luck to be statused by something that is not Toxic(which will cripple you instantly), and even if somehow you get that I just need to bring an Elec/Grass( or any heavy special hitter in general) mon and hit you from the special side, which with such a passive mon it is not difficult to do,unlike suicune who after using 1 or 2 Calm Minds (which it can get much more easily because he does not rely on your opponent missplaying and statusing you)it has a respectable offensive presence and it will be difficult to hit from either physical or special side.

That was regarding Marvel Scale.

Now for Competitive... it just doesn't work, it does not have priority or a high speed stat(Bisharp, Tornadus) to be able to abuse the boosts, since even if you are at +2 a good CB or CSpecs user can bring you down... or any that can hit hard Milotic which is any physical attacker and Elec/Grass mons.

Coil is the same as using Harden for Milotic, if you carefully think of it, you will realize why it sucks(it can work with stuff like Hypnosis, but maybe in UU, since in OU you will never get the chance to do it consistently.)

I like Milotic, look at my sign, but it is not usable in OU meta, his best sets are outclassed, and his ''unique traits'' like Competitive cannot be abused and are not really something impressive.

I don't have anything more to say, or explain in regards of it, aside from :

Leave Milotic unranked.
You're grossly underselling Milotic's bulk. First off, physical electric attackers? As far as I know for OU viability, there are three at best. Two of them are fire types, and the third is a Mega who will rarely be running Thunder Punch in the first place. Never mind that none of them are stab, so the only one who really has a shot is Victini, and only because he is a literal nuke.
Next, to be felled from the physical side, and this is unboosted, it takes the strongest of physical STAB attacks to bring Milotic down. I'm talking Close Combats from the likes of Lucario and Terrakion (and maybe a HJK from Mega Lop) and those are attacks that nobody in their right mind wants to be eating anyway. These attacks are not a dime a dozen in this game.

On the special side, the number of powerful grass and electric attackers is also few. Most are megas, and things you shouldn't be staying in on in the first place. I don't think such things support your argument all that well.

Coil basically lets you be somewhat of a mixed tank because you're boosting your physical bulk as well as your accuracy, which lets you run things like Hydro Pump and Blizzard without worrying about their middling accuracy. She also has instant recovery (IE not rest) that doesn't need switching out or weather, and doesn't need to worry about being vaporized by grass or mauled by knock off. None of the other bulky waters provide all of that in one package, and for that reason, I think Milotic is worth a D rank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)