Project ORAS Research Week #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
inspired from King UU's amazing OP
molk approved n.n
Hi RU!
Today i am introducing the new Research Week!

amazing banner by Bummer

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Week:
  • This project's goal is to create Discussion so don't think you can get away only by doing well on the ladder.
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats and typing and think something up!
  • Try to back up your posts with hard evidence like replays, actual sets, perhaps even teams. A bit of theorymonning is fine but please don't just make assumptions :/
  • This project is a great way to discuss some of your inventions and innovations!
  • You aren't forced to use the Sets that will be posted alongside the Pokemon. They are just sample sets, do what you want!
A few things to clarify:
  • Sign-ups can be as late as you want, but the week will always start on Sunday and end on Saturday.
  • This project doesn't have any real prize but good posts really helps to get noticed for Roomvoice in RU room and, as always, participation in projects like Research Week help towards earning the Community Contributor badge!
  • If you do not post one somewhat-coherent post that describes the Pokemon that you're using, their roles, and their niche in the metagame, you will be disqualified from winning this week. Please post about your experiences no matter if you think you've got a chance to win or not.
  • Post and save your replays. Replays are the most informative and sometimes entertaining sources of information about RW Pokemon - you can write a full two paragraphs about the role of a Pokemon, but often that can all be summed up with a video and an explanation of it.
  • Some questions to answer in your posts are how useful are these Pokemon in the ORAS metagame? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic.
In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
  • The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown ladder on the alt they registered at the end of the week.

This Week's Selection

Mega-Glalie

Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Explosion
- Super Fang / Freeze Dry
- Spikes / Taunt / Earthquake

Whimsicott

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Rock] / Nature Power

or...

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 160 HP / 96 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Giga Drain

Heliolisk

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Grass Knot
- Surf

Good luck!

Last edited:
Name: IndustrialLizard (If taken I will change it)
Using: Helioisk and Whimsicott

I don't know why, but the two seem really good together. (Especially when paired with a Fire-type since both are shat on by Pokemon like Bronzong and Registeel)

Edit: Using all 3 now. Glalie just seemed to fit on my team, especially because of the lack of a Mega Slot my team had and its ability to invalidate a lot of stall teams (Except for Aromatisse teams but I already have Dragalgae to beat that so w/e).

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Name: RU Ice Ice Baby
Pokémon: Mega Glalie

;]

Last edited:
Call this preliminary insight about mega glalie. I recently made an RMT featuring the mega face (link) peaking around 1430 after posting then dropping back down to 1390-ish. With that team glalie was used as a spiker to support my main damage dealers Specs-Dragagle and Sharpedo.

Comparing glalie to the likes of accelgor in terms of being a spike stacker, the iceball is mediocre. In the RMT I bring up the most prominent faults of the pokemon (stopped cold be steel types *cough* Cobalion *cough*) which often causes spikes to be delayed or not used at all as the state of the game has developed past the point of their usefulness.

The main boon glalie has going for it as a hazard setter is hazard protection. Its stats and movepool allow glalie to scare or outright KO many common spinners and defoggers, assuming the prediction pants are engaged glalie is able to effectively protect your own hazards throughout the game.

52 SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kabutops: 248-294 (95 - 112.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
-1 236 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 246-291 (80.9 - 95.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after 2 layers of Spikes
236 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 444-528 (133.3 - 158.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Golbat: 288-338 (81.5 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
236 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Shiftry: 800-944 (249.2 - 294%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Double-Edge vs. 240 HP / 16 Def Claydol: 450-530 (140.1 - 165.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hitmonchan: 288-340 (119.5 - 141%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Additionally glalie's power can help wall break and tear apart the opponents defensive line up, freeze dry being notable as it 2HKO's the standard Alomomola and exploding on Cresselia can make it easy pickings for the likes of sharpedo to clean up afterwards.

52 SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 104 HP / 156 SpD Alomomola: 264-312 (53.1 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
236 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Cresselia: 339-400 (76.3 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ajna

i tell my ppl i don't need love but
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Name: AV Jolteon
Mon: Whimsicott
(I'm actually going to try this time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)