ORAS Ubers ORAS Uber VoltTurn Team, #1632 HELP !!

Hey Smogon fam !! As we all know, in just a few days Gen 6 will join the Old Gens thread , so before that happens i want to share with you a team that i've used in ORAS Ubers for a long time. It manage to reach 1632 on the ladder (sadly i don't have the image to prove it, maybe i can search for a replay, but i guess my word is enought to prove it!) i want the team to improve with some minor (or big) changes, so i will appreciatte a lot if you take some time to rate my team and give a few suggestions. Let's take a look !!

THE TEAM

Scizor-Mega (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 200 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn
- Toxic

Yes, Mega Scizor. I decided to try out another mega that wasn't Salamence or Gengar, and i just find out that Scizor will be really funny to play. And it is. The EV spread is the one from Smogon Dex, simply because it work really well. With Adamant nature and 60 EV on Attack Bullet Punch scores a 2HKO on Xerneas. The rest of the investment let Scizor take a +2 Focus Blast from Xernas and give Scizor a well rounded bulk. Scizor can switch on to Xerneas on the turn he set up Geomancy, Bullet punch it, take a Focus Blast/Moonblas/Thunder and then KO it. That means Scizor is really a great Xerneas counter unless the Fairy deer bring Hidden Power Fire. In that case, Scizor is still able to score one Bullet Punch, leaving Xerneas to the point where Primal Groudon can KO it with Precipice Blades or phaze it with Roar. U-Turn honestly works really on Ubers. If the opposing team have Groudon (so practically every uber team xD) and/or Ho-oh, they will be switch in every time Scizor is on the battelfield, so clicking U-Turn on the siwcht to let Kyogre enter and change the match up to my favor is a major point. Toxic and Roost work well on the team since it lacks Status moves to cripple things like Giratina-O and defensive Yveltal, and it helps me in particular against Lugia, who can't Toxic Scizor virtue of his Steel type. Bullet Punch also helps against Deoxys-A, and deals decent damage to another frail mons like Darkrai and Mega Mewtwo-Y.

Despite his explotiable weakness to Fire, i find Scizor a pokemon that can perfom really well in Ubers.

Yveltal @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch

Physical Defensive Yveltal. Of all the Yveltal sets this is my favorite and for good reason; it excels at checking Mega Salamence and Extreme Killer Arceus. The EV spread is simply to let Yveltal take physicall hits the best he can. Let's see some interesting calcs:

-+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Yveltal: 263-309 (57.8 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Yveltal: 339-399 (74.5 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

and then:

+2 0- Atk Dark Aura Yveltal Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 364-430 (95.2 - 112.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+1 0- Atk Dark Aura Yveltal Foul Play vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 292-345 (83.1 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

All of that taking in cosideration that both are at full health and Stealth Rocks aren't on the field. It's true that Yveltal can't switch directly into a Doble Edge from MegaMence, but if it get a free swicht it basically autowin against it. In Arceus case, is better to scout for a possible Stone Edge. Foul Play also does great damage to Rayquaza and offensive variants of Groudon. Roost provide ultra necessary recovery to late Yveltal check Physical Attackers better and is usefull in case Yveltal have to stomach a Draco Metor to bring back that HP. Taunt is really usefull to stop things like Ferrothorn, Regular Giratina and every hazard setter slower than Yveltal like Dialga. Sucker Punch rounds the set and is the best move to use against Lati@s, Mewtwo, Deoxys and Lugia right after use Taunt on it. Rocky Helmet is the item of choice to cripple things like Khangaskan, Arceus, Salamence and Fire Punch Groudon and helps to score more KO's with Foul Play. Yveltal Is also a good check to Ghost types like both Giratina's forms, Mega Gengar and to some extend Arceus-Ghost (because this set hates Will-o-Wisp) that threaten the team.

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Realizing about Scizor weaknes to Fire it's time to bring a Groudon counter, and who is better than is ancient rival? The Lord of the seas and oceans, Kyogre, have been a favorite Pokemon since my childhood and that's a strong reason also to add it to the team. Bulky Kyogre is chosen for his ability to better check Groudon (Adamant 252 EV's Precipice Blades is a 2HKO!) , Ho-Oh and every Dragon in the tier weak to Ice. At full health, it can take a +2 Extreme Speed from Adamant Arceus and pray for a Scald burn in case Yveltal is defeated. Scald is overall the best option for this Kyogre set for the burn rate, and even with no SpAttack Investment it still does good damage to everything thanks to Kyogre massive SpAttack stat and Heavy Rain. Ice Beam deals good damage to Lugia, Lati@s and Yveltal and anhilates every Flying Dragon type. It is also the best move to go for when expecting a Groudon switch in. RestTalk provide a way to recover HP and most importantly a way to absorb status, especially Dark Void from Darkrai. The EV spread makes Kyogre really difficult to OHKO, it let Kyogre tank better physical hits and Psyshock from Lati@s, one of the most popular Kyogre switch ins. Kyogre also helps a lot against Steel types and can defeat Arceus formes like Ground, Rock, and Poison. 12 EV are put on Speed to outspeed non invested Giratina-O and Speed tie with standard Ho-Oh.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Roar

The mighty King of ORAS Ubers. Another favourite Pokemon -Gen 3 fanboy, yes- Practically everything have been said about Primal Groudon. He is added to the team as the Rocks setter. Precipice Blades, even with no investment, still does a solid damage to everything in Ubers. Lava Plume is preferrend for the 30% burn rate, to cripples switch ins like Salamence or Yveltal and to anhhilate Mawile, Aegislash and every Steel type. Also it helps against lead Focus Sash Deoxys for the high chance to burn it and ruin his plan to set up Rocks and Pyscho Boost something. Roar is chosen as the last move because i find necessary the ability to phaze out set up sweepers. Geomancy Xernas, Mega Salamence and every with Sword Dance are big exemples. It avoid Baton Pass strategies and in combination with Stealth Rock can reduce the HP of various enemy Pokemon slowly. The EV spread is the old one from Smogon Dex because i find more usefull the ability to take better physical hits than being max SpDef. This spread is overall bulky on every side and doesn't give me any reason to this day to change it.

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Volt Switch

At this point the team has a big lack of Speed, so Choice Scarf Zekrom joins the squad. Zekrom is a little bit underrated, it's true that Groudon and Xerneas are practically on every team and they are inmunne to Zekrom's STAB attacks, but the black dragon brings really some good points. Bolt Strike deals massive damage and destroy Kyogre, Lugia (courtesy of Terravolt), Water Arceus and Ho-Oh. Outrage in combination with Choice Scarf let Zekrom OHKO every Dragon except Dialga. Draco Meteor is chosen over Dragon Claw because it deals more damage to Groudon switch ins. Volt Switch creates a VoltTurn core with Scizor and is usefull to gain momentum since Zekrom creates a lot of switch ins. The EV spread is simple to let Zekrom attack harder. 252 EV with a positive Attack nature in combination with Choice Scarf allow Zekrom to outspeed and OHKO Darkrai and offensive Mega Gengar 100% of the time and OHKO Mega Mewtwo-Y and Shaymin after Stealth Rock damage with Bolt Strike. So basically Zekrom can act as a revenge killer once Groudon and Xerneas are gone or a pivot/hard hitter during all the match, but usually i use to send Zekrom at the end game.

Latios @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Another of my all life time favourite mons. Latios is my main swicht in to both Primals, because thanks to Levitate and Dragon type can come for free on Primal Groudon STAB moves and the boost of Soul Dew to SpDef allow Latios to take well Ice Beam from Primal Kyogre. Draco Metor put a big hole in everything except Fairy type mons and Lugia, but nothing expect this too want to take a Soul Dew boosted Draco Meteor. Ho-Oh may be temptet to swich but Psyshock deals good damage, and let Latios to take on Primal Kyogre and Sp.Def oriented pokemon. Since this team have a VoltTurn core and big weaknes to Rocks in Yveltal, hazard removing is mandatory. Defog do that and Latios can find good oportunities in front of both Primals to do it, becuase Draco Meteor deals a lot of damage to Groudon, especially offensive variants, and Psyshock to Kyogre. The EV spread is simple, and allow Latios to be the fastest Dragon Type in Uber before Salamance Mega Evolve. Overall Latios packs the team together and is a key member on the support side that can still do big damage.

THREATS:

Offensive Yveltal is major threat to the team since no one can take Life Orb boosted Yveltal STAB attacks well. Revenge killing it with Zekrom is the best option, but usually switch out then,

Arceus Rock is difficult to handle do his speed, type, bulk and acces to will o wisp. The Calm Mind set is the most difficult to handle.

So this is my team. Thanks for your time and i hope you will make some suggestions to improve the team, feel free to do it !!!!

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This team is just copied directly from the team options section of my outdated Mega Scizor analysis and doesn't take into account the synergy of any other members. Of the few usable Pokemon that get turn / switch, this team doesn't use the good users (Landorus-T and Yveltal). It's pretty clear that there isn't much intent behind the use of U-Turn or Volt Switch here as there isn't really any offensive support that takes advantage of them. The lack of offensive synergy and utilization of awkward defensive synergy causes this team to match up rather poorly against stable teams. This team needs to figure out what it's doing: either make a strong balance around Mega Scizor (questionable), or make a team that effectively utilizes turn / switch moves.

This rate assumes that you're trying to make a team with Mega Scizor. To give this team some offensive direction I'd begin by replacing Yveltal with CB Ho-Oh. Utilize it as a wallbreaker, steel + fairy check, and Pokemon that can absorb Sleep from Darkrai when needed. From here Primal Kyogre should be replaced with Arceus-Water. This provides the team with a proper defensive Mence check, a bulky water with higher physical bulk, and another defensive Pokemon with reliable recovery, while sleep absorption was already allocated to Ho-Oh. Zekrom should be changed to Xerneas so that the team can better handle Darkrai, Yveltal, and Latios. Its inclusion also gives this team a Pokemon that is better at breaking defensive teams than Scarf Zekrom.

Additionally, consider using Modest on Latios and altering the Primal Groudon moveset and EV spread (still use defensive SR). This final build is far from perfect, but I believe it's about the best you can do while honoring your desire to use Mega Scizor and Latios. For a strong U-Turn team with Latios this team already exists, but for obvious reasons it doesn't use Mega Scizor.

Summary:
- Replace Yveltal with Ho-Oh
Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Replace Primal Kyogre with Arceus-Water
Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Judgment
- Replace Zekrom with Xerneas
Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 212 Def / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Focus Blast
- Moonblast
- Consider Modest on Latios
- Consider changing the P Don moveset and EV spread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)