OU Bulky-ish Offense...

After a month or so using my old OU team, I've gotten quite bored of it. Plus, it was a very offensive and fast-paced team that could do severe damage to other teams, but at the same time, was fragile and easily taken down if countered properly. So I've decided to move on to a more bulky-ish offensive team. I sat down for ten minutes or so and thought this team out, and I'm quite surprised at how well it performs. Now I just need the opinion of the general public.

My Team at a Quick Glance:

Detailed Analysis

Gliscor (F) @ Yache Berry
Jolly / Hyper Cutter
204 HP / 88 Atk / 216 Spd
~ Earthquake
~ Stealth Rock
~ Taunt
~ Ice Fang

Comments:
Not a lead you see everyday, is it? I absolutely adore this Gliscor lead for its ability to stop Stealth Rock and other hazards from being set up, but at the same time get SR up itself. The EV spread and nature allow it to outspeed max speed Timid lead Roserade (providing it's not Scarfed, as some are) by 2 and Taunt it before it can Sleep Powder. That being said, Gliscor can also stop bulky leads such as Swampert, Bronzong, Forretress from setting up entry hazards and/or using Hypnosis. Gliscor also renders Smeargle completely useless, and it even breaks its own Sash on the first turn if it decides to Spore, and does not carry any offensive moves. The Attack EVs on Gliscor allow it to 2HKO max HP no Def Metagross (standard LeadGross), and Tyranitar (it's awesome at stopping DDTar set ups right off the bat), while at the same time not allowing them to set up Stealth Rock. I'll admit, it can't stop things like Aerodactyl and Azelf from setting up SR, but still. Aero will likely Taunt the first turn anyways, in which case Ice Fang from Gliscor is a 2HKO and Aero will not be able to do any damage to Gliscor (providing it does set up Stealth Rock). Ice Fang is also here to OHKO standard 4 HP / 0 Def Salamence after it switches into Stealth Rock. Gliscor also has the benefit of outspeeding neutral speed Mence, and not being affected by Intimidate as it has Hyper Cutter. The Yache Berry is there to ensure that I survive an Ice Beam from standard MixPert, and still manage to get my Stealth Rock up and running (of course, I will usually Taunt it the first turn so that it doesn't get up SR itself). It also gives me a fighting chance against the sweeper variant of Metagross, who will often carry Ice Punch.

Team Synergy
Ice - Heatran, Scizor
Water - Gyarados, Celebi

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Adamant / Technician
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
~ Bullet Punch
~ Superpower
~ U-turn
~ Pursuit

Comments:

In addition to being one of the greatest threats in the metagame, it is also undoubtedly a great scouter. I couldn't resist not using Scizor on this team. Everything on its moveset is essentially standard. Bullet Punch is the staple of this set because it is just awesome, Superpower to deal with Blissey, and Heatran and Magnezone switch-ins (which will definitely come because Heatran is like one of the best counters to the fearsome CB Scizor, and Magnezone traps it Dx). I originally opted for Brick Break because of its ability to remove annoying screens, but sadly the decrease in power meant I was unable to OHKO neither Magnezone nor Heatran. U-turn is there for scouting purposes. This is where I should address why I used 4 speed EVs instead of the standard 8. If I ever happen to encounter another CB Scizor (with the standard EV spread), being slower than them means that they will U-turn first, allowing me to see what they switch to. Anyhow, Pursuit is one of the best moves in the game, hands down. Easily traps and finishes off Starmies, Gengars, and other Ghosts / Psychics, because Scizor is a BEAST. It also acts as the perfect bait for Heatran, who gets the Flash Fire boost and proceeds to do some serious ass kicking.

Team Synergy
Fire: Heatran, Gyarados

Celebi @ Leftovers
Bold / Natural Cure
252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spd
~ Grass Knot
~ Thunder Wave
~ Leech Seed / Psychic
~ Recover

Comments:
Standard Defensive Celebi, and my answer to Gyarados (Grass Knot is a 2HKO on standard Gyara after SR damage), Breloom, Swampert, Tyranitar (Grass Knot is a 2HKO, even in sandstorm, and the EV spread allows me to outspeed Jolly TTar) and other fast sweepers that can be crippled by Thunder Wave. Leech Seed and Stealth Rock make an awesome combination, as Leech Seed will commonly make the opponent switch, allowing Stealth Rock damage to accumulate. Psychic is another option over Leech Seed as it allows me to swiftly deal with Breloom and Machamp, but it also means a free switch-in for Tyranitar and Weavile D<. Recover is there for obvious reasons.

Team Synergy
Bug - Heatran, Gyarados, Scizor, Gliscor
Dark - Scizor, Heatran
Ghost - Scizor, Heatran
Ice - Heatran, Scizor
Fire - Heatran, Gyarados

Jolteon (M) @ Choice Specs
Timid / Volt Absorb
4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
~ Thunderbolt
~ Shadow Ball
~ Hidden Power (Ice)
~ Baton Pass / Signal Beam

Comments:
My former team had a major weakness to SpecsJolt, so I decided to try one out myself. I have now discovered that SpecsJolt is a beast. STABed Thunderbolt with 478 special attack as its disposal means that Jolteon will do serious damage to any pokémon that does not resist the Electric type. Jolteon stillmanages to outspeed max speed Adamant Gyarados after a DD and KO it with Thunderbolt. It also makes a good combination with Gyarados, because Electric attacks aimed at Gyarados will be absorbed by Jolteon, as well as Thunder Waves directed at other members of the team (the problem is Electivire, however, who is not affected by Thunderbolt). Nevertheless, weakened Electivires can be picked off by a Shadow Ball. Shadow Ball is there to hit Celebi relatively hard, and is also my best answer against Gengar, Dusknoir, and the Rotom Formes. Hidden Power (Ice) is there to hit Gliscor, and Salamence and its Dragon friends. Most people expect HP Grass on Jolteon as normally it is walled by Swampert, so HP Ice makes a nasty surprise. I already have Celebi to deal with the ever-annoying Swampert, so it isn't much of a big deal. Baton Pass for dry passing to scout for counters, but I could also use Signal Beam to hit Tyranitar harder (2HKO) and OHKO Celebi (not that Tyranitar would usually switch into Jolteon in the first place)...

Team Synergy
Ground: Gyarados, Gliscor, Celebi

Gyarados (M) @ Life Orb / Wacan Berry
Adamant / Intimidate
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Ice Fang
~ Earthquake

Comments:
It surprises me how a great deal of teams I see nowadays do not carry a true counter to DD Life Orb Gyarados. In the past, I've tended to stray away from it because of its weakness to Stealth Rock, and the annoying 4x Electric weakness, but there is no sense denying its sheer power if it is allowed to set up properly. Gyarados does have some very useful resistances and immunities however, and this makes it relatively easy to switch in; two pokémon on my team have a weaknesses to Ground (and one has a quadruple weakness). Gyarados also puts Scizor and Lucario (without Stone Edge) to a abrupt stop, as it resists or does not take much damage to their primary sources of offensive. Waterfall is on the set for obvious STAB, Ice Fang for switching in with Intimidate and eliminating Salamence, and Earthquake over Stone Edge because it is less common and helps when dealing with Electric-type switch-ins (unforunately, Rotom causes major problems). Life Orb is the preferred item, as it allows for important OHKOs and 2HKOs, but Wacan Berry can make setting up with Gyarados much easier, and can be a nasty surprise for Electric-types that come in expecting a swift OHKO.

Team Synergy
Electric: Jolteon, Gliscor, Celebi
Rock: None =(

Heatran (F) @ Expert Belt / Choice Scarf
Naive / Flash Fire
4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
~ Fire Blast
~ Earth Power
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Explosion

Comments:
While having annoying weaknesses to Ground and Fighting can hinder its performance, Heatran can easily abuse its plethora of resistances when it comes to switching in safety. Choice Scarf Heatran has become the standard variant as it solves Heatran's only real obstacle that prevents it from sweeping effectively: its speed. In fact, it's become so standard that many people will automatically assume a Heatran is Scarfed as soon as they see it. In thinking this, they will often make the mistake of sending something in that would normally not be threatened by one of Heatran's moves, but severely threatened by another. I normally use the "faux-Scarf" variant of Heatran and slap an Expert Belt on it because it gives me the freedom of switching moves. I've fooled so many people with this, and it usually takes a while for the opponent to catch on. However, one cannot deny the usefulness of a Scarfed Heatran, so this is why I left my options open. Anyways, onto the set. Fire Blast is a better option than Flamethrower because whearas the accuracy drop is not significant, the power boost comes in handy in many situations, as I lack a Life Orb. Earth Power to hit opposing Heatrans, that will switch in expecting to get a Flash Fire boost. Dragon Pulse to hit Salamence and company, and more importantly, Kingdra locked into Outrage. Explosion is on the set to eliminate Blissey if Scizor is not there to finish it off, and can also be used in other times of desperation.

Team Synergy

Ground: Gyarados, Gliscor, Celebi
Fighting: Gyarados, Gliscor, Celebi
Water: Gyarados, Celebi

*Credits for the images goes to Arkeis.com and Bulbapedia

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Hello.

Honestly if you are going to use the Gyara/Jolteon combo I feel that a defensive Gyarados would fit your team a hell of a lot better. Defensive Gyarados allows you to play a lot more recklessly against powerful physical attackers, notably Scizor. This is very important because a well played Choice Band Scizor can take out all of your mons barring Gyarados. This allows gives your a Lucario check (literally if Gliscor is weakened Lucario can x-0 you because Gyarados is not bulky). Since Jolteon and Heatran can take care of bulky waters I suggest you run Restalk Dragon Dance Gyarados to provide yourself with a solid late game sweeper.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/36 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall

Next off, I see no reason NOT to run Roost on Gliscor. It'll allow you to take rock attacks easier (cbtar has a field day with you) and allows you to increase longevity in the long run so you can stay around longer to beat Lucario and take U turns.

Sorry its not much but i hope i helped!

I agree with august, Roost is a nescesity on Gliscor.

On Celebi, run an EV spread of 252 HP/252 Defense/6 Sp. Attack. You can survive a Crunch from Tyranitar and then can hit back with Grass Knot.

I think the biggest problem for your team is DDTar. After two DD's, it will rip through your team. Your only hope is to keep Gliscor alive, pray Stone Edge misses, and hit hard with your STAB Earthquake. Once you have weakened it down, Bullet Punch will KO it.

Hope I helped, and Good Luck!

I have some suggestions

Gliscor: i would seriously consider roost because it is a great recovery move

Scizor: No suggestions (although i just looooooooooove the originality scizor has)

Celebi: No suggestions here

Jolteon: I would run hp grass over ice to OHKO swampert. Also i would use signal beam over baton pass.

Gyarados: If yo are not switching to a defensive gyarados i would consider changing its item to lum berry and moveset to Dragon dance, bounce, waterfall, stone edge.

Heatran: if you are trying to bluff choice scarf why not swich to a substitute heatran. Here is the set.
Heatran@ Life orb
Substitute
Hp grass
flamethrower
Earth power

Thats all of the advice i have So good Luck :)

The first thing that I can see right off the bat is that you lack a resistance to Rock type attacks. This means that you will most likely not be able to deal with the likes of Tyranitar, Lucario, Rhyperior, and any other powerful sweepers who use rock-type moves. Like witness said, your only real hope is that you can survive Stone Edges with your Gliscor, but if your opponent catches you by surprise and gets a DD off, you'll be sorry.

I suggest that you replace Scizor with a slightly more defensive pokemon resistant to rock. There are two options that come to mind: Bronzong and Metagross. Since you were using scizor before, we'll go with the more offensive, Metagross.

Metagross @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
252 HP / 236 Atk / 12 Def / 8 Spe
~ Meteor Mash / Bullet Punch
~ Earthquake
~ Explosion
~ Thunder Punch

This is the CB Gross set from the analysis.

Meteor mash for a powerful STAB, or Bullet Punch for priority, your preference. Since you're removing a fast sweeper for it, I'd suggest Bullet Punch, as going first could be the difference between losing Meta and fainting the opponent. You should use this over the more bulky sets because it packs considerably more punch and still gives more bulk than Scizor, minus technician. Clear Body prevents those pesky Gyaradoses and Salamences from intimidating you, and you don't need an occa berry because switching to Heatran is much more effective and provides synergy.

You shouldn't have a difficult time taking care of celebi without scizor, as you have heatran to handle things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)