[OU] Magmorvire: Because they're just that awesome.

Introduction:

--------------------

First up:

Credits for sprites goes to serebii.net

--------------------

Second Up: The Weakness/Resistance Modifiers chart.

This takes into account that Azelf has Levitate and that Electivire has Motor Drive.

--------------------

Third up: My subpar analysis.

-The Anti-Lead-

Weavile (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/6 HP
Hasty Nature (Spe+/Def-)
- Fake Out
- Counter
- Taunt
- Ice Punch

-The Supporters-

Leafeon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 HP/236 Spe/22 Def
Impish Nature (Def+/SpA-)
-Leaf Blade
-Wish
-Yawn
-Protect

Azelf @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spe/252 HP/6 Def
Jolly Nature (Spe+/SpA-)
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Stealth Rock
-Explosion

-The Offense-

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/72 Atk/96 Def/184 Spe
Adamant Nature (Atk+/SpA-)
-Dragon Dance
-Taunt
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge

Magmortar (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 84 Atk/252 SpA/172 Spe
IVs: 30 Spe
Mild Nature (SpA+/Def-)
-Lava Plume
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice
-Cross Chop

Electivire (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Adamant Nature (Atk+/SpA-)
-Thunder Punch
-Ice Punch
-Cross Chop
-Fire Punch

--------------------
Fail RMT. Gonna redo this whole team for improvements soon.

You know If ANYTHING get a dragon dance or two under its belt like lets say Salamance or Kigndra It would Sweep right through your team. Also a rapid spinner would be nice because it seems like youd be switching a lot.

A really nice team.^^
Scarfed Heracross can beat your team to dust using Megahorn. -_-
Once Gyarados is down Megahorn will dent you team really hard. Takes out 54.6% - 64.6% HP from Magmortar using Megahorn. If flame Body burns Heracross then that would be the of the everything. -_-

If stealth rock is up Heracross is your end. -_-

Try this Gliscor instead of Azelf.

Nature: Impish
Item: Leftovers
Sand Veil
252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe (add more defense if you want)^^
~ Earthquake
~ Roost
~ Stealth Rock
~ Aerial Ace

It's Bulkier with decent speed. Most of a PERFECT counter to Heracross. Megahorn does have its disadvantage because of its accuracy but 85 > 15. So yeah...^^

Your Magmortar is not serving any real purpose. It is basically being used as a less effective Electivire, but you are already using Electivire! They don't complement each other well, especially with movesets you have chosen.

Your Magmortar is not serving any real purpose. It is basically being used as a less effective Electivire, but you are already using Electivire! They don't complement each other well, especially with movesets you have chosen.
But the theme of this team's based on Magmortar and E-wire. -_-

Yeah, I'm thinking about it. I'm really considering replacing the Azelf with Gliscor, and changing Magmortar's move set. I just realized that it's not that great to have a physical set and special set with the same type-age.

Well looks like the Magmortar page is going to undergo revision soon, so I'll hold off on Magmortar until then.

The point is to make a good team. I did not say to outright rule out the combo, but using them in the same manner when Electivire does it better is unwise.

If I was set on keeping the duo, I would go for a more special attacking Magmortar. Something like Fire Blast/Focus Blast/HP Grass/X. HP Grass over HP Ice to cover common switchins, unless you opt for a scarf (where he can use HP Ice to revenge dragons). Last slot could go to a number of things (sleep talk so he can absorb sleep, mach punch to get priority, or thunderbolt for coverage). Life orb or choice scarf would be good for such a set.

If that type is not working, a Sub-Puncher might work instead, as Magmortar is usually annoyed by Blissey and may cause switches. Substitute/Focus Punch/Fire Blast/Hp Grass.

These are just some ideas, I have never toyed around with Magmortar before, just looked at his moves and tried to see what might work if you are set on keeping the duo.

who the hell cares, they're terrible pokemon and Junk, you have to replace them because any dragon dancer will 6-0 your team. start again, this team cannot be saved without changing the strategy you insist on clinging on to

Right off the bat i noticed that the role of cleric on your team could be filled up by celebi. I recommend that you use the cleric set but with a bit of changes:

Nature: Bold
EV's: 252HP 220Def 36Spe
Item: Leftovers
Moveset:

Heal Bell
Energy Ball/Leaf Storm
Physic/Stealth Rock
Thunderwave

This set allows you to heal and attack at the same time and the reason i suggested stealth rock is because you use the Cresselia set for dual screens:

Nature: bold
EV's: 252 HP / 148 Def / 40 SpD / 68 Spe
Item: Light Clay
Moveset:

Reflect
Light Screen
Lunar Dance
Physic/Ice Beam/Thunderwave

This is so much better at setting dual screens and then healing than azelf. The choice of Physic, ice beam, or t-wave is up to you. Hope that helped

@Thorns: Dude, it's his team. It is a pretty unheard of concept in OU.
I think everyone got to admit that OU is pretty standard now, it has all been plagued by T-Tar, SMence, and Scizor. THIS IS ACTUALLY DIFFERENT! Cross Chop is also a good idea since Magmotar will lure in a Blissy only to get her eggs chopped by a OHKO. Good idea on that one.

@Thorns: Dude, it's his team. It is a pretty unheard of concept in OU.
I think everyone got to admit that OU is pretty standard now, it has all been plagued by T-Tar, SMence, and Scizor. THIS IS ACTUALLY DIFFERENT! Cross Chop is also a good idea since Magmotar will lure in a Blissy only to get her eggs chopped by a OHKO. Good idea on that one.
fuck originality play to win

What all of you have failed to tell us is how someone is going to get a free dragon dance in. As long as this guy decides to sacrafice instead of switch (like offensive teams normally do) when someone potentially has a setup move then he should be fine. Weavile isn't around too long anyways, Azelf can blow up on them, Leafeon can Yawn them off (though that set is better used by Umbreon IMO), Gyarados should have a DD by then, and his "Magmorvire" guys have excellent coverage.

We have to be realistic though, Mixape is surely better than Magmortar. You don't even have to run Nasty Plot, you can run 4 attacks (2 stabs, GK and HPice) because Leafeon and others should soften foes up especially with Stealth Rock. I wouldn't recommend Nasty Plot anyways because HP Ice is necessary to prevent Dragon sweeps, and Grass Knot will be useful for Swampert, Suicune, and hopefully slow down Gyarados.

And I don't see how Scarf Heracross will be such a huge thorn in his side. Who cares that Megahorn does up to 64% to Magmortar? That's not enough to kill him even with Stealth Rock (which his anti-lead might prevent) and he should burn him away before Heracross attacks again. However once again I recommend Mixape because Magmortar fails to outspeed any form of Heracross except maybe Adamant CB.

The Physical Electivire set is kind of a loser set, it never has enough power to sweep well and always dissapoints. Just use the mixed set. I prefer Life Orb for 10% more power and letting him have a boost when the attack isn't super effective (which happens more often than you'd think), but that is up to you.

Leafeon is also kind of a loser. Her type is sad and she falls victim to mixed attackers. Umbreon has a better type and can obviously handle special attacks better, specifically she can wall Flygon even with Fire Blast. Leaf Blade isn't doing much damage anyway, the real job is healing and shuffling for SR damage. Vaporeon is even better than Leafeon at the same job, I am just not sure having 2 Pokemon weak to Electric is a great idea because with Evire gone someone like SpecsJolt could say GG.

SO: Mixape for Magmortar, Umbreon for Leafeon. Unless you don't feel like winning. :naughty:

Eitherway, Good Luck!

fuck originality play to win
Wow... Really? This is just a baseless incoherent slander, not even to the point of being an argument. Are we talking about Pokemon or the stock market? Also, is the profanity really really necessary? Pokemon is a... game? You wouldn't get so worked up over Clue... (Unless you're 9, but then I'd still feel pretty sorry for you right now) And that is not a rate... In no way does it help his team.

Well that aside, I really can't agree with Magmortar. Unless you seriously rethink its role in your team or simply replace it, your team will not function well. Mixape, as Pollux-Castor put it, entirely outclasses Magmortar. I can't see any innovative or interesting way to use Magmortar and make him not useless so my suggestion is you either need to reach some kind of epiphany regarding what Magmortar can actually do well or replace him. Leafeon is not a solid member on your team either. It's rather frail due to its typing and in addition it's morbidly slow. I would not use Azelf as a dual screener due to its frailty but it's fast so maybe it can set up a reflect to take an oncoming payback or pursuit? Aside from that, just listen to everyone else has said, I think they've got it covered.

who the hell cares, they're terrible pokemon and Junk, you have to replace them because any dragon dancer will 6-0 your team. start again, this team cannot be saved without changing the strategy you insist on clinging on to
But he/she wants this team based around Magmortar and E-Wire. Didn't you read the RMT? -_-

He rated the RMT, and said that a dragon dancer will 6-0 this team. If you want advice from people you have to be ready to want to take the advice. Magmortar really doesn't look like it adds much to the team, like other people have said it pretty much does what e-vire does.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Magmortar does not need to run mixed. Nothing on your team can handle Swampert. You don't need an anti-lead, you need a lead. Your team is horribly Salamence weak. Leafeon is not a good wall/supporter. Scarftran will run through your shit once Gyara is down. Dual Screen does not solve any of these problems.

I don't even know where to start suggesting changes. First of all, Magmortar's moveset and EVs need to be completely rehauled. HP Ice is unnecessary because every Dragon in OU will kill you no matter what, so change it to HP Grass for Swampert. I don't know what you were thinking with Lava Plume, but it won't yield any benefits over Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Overheat, especially since Flame Body already has a 30% chance to burn whatever hits you. Choose any one of those and I guarantee they will serve you better. And max out special attack pronto, since that's the only way you can justify using it over Infernape. In essence, here's what your set should look like.

Magmortar @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 Sp. Att/252 Speed
Timid Nature

- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power (Grass)
- Thunderbolt

Now that looks like a damn good Magmortar set. Max Speed Gyarados and non-Scarfed Hetran don't laugh at you anymore and neither does Swampert.

Also, I highly recommend specially defensive Forretress to set up Spikes, spin SR off the field for Gyara and Magmortar, switch into Latias, and use Explosion when necessary. Your set should look like this:

Forretress @ Leftovers
252 HP/44 Att/212 Sp. Def
Careful Nature

- Explosion
- Payback
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes

Lastly, I'm going to suggest you add CB Scizor to your team to give you another Draco Meteor absorber, and fill in a ridiculous number of holes your team has in it by weakening walls, revenging sweepers, and racking up the damage necessary for your core offense to function.

Oh and you should really change the title of your thread to Magmortivire. Magmorvire just sounds awkward.

EDIT: I took this baby on a good, long test spin and to my surprise, it works magnificently. Along with my suggested replacements, I used a lead LO Azelf with Uturn, Grass Knot, Stealth Rock, and Flamethrower and I switched the Stone Edge on Gyara with Bounce. Good call on the bulky Gyara set, as the number of free DDs it helped me garner was ridiculous. It even survives HP Electric from Vaporeon, allowing you to DD again, and Bounce right in its face (Taunt if you suspect Protect or Wish).

If you take heed of all of my comments, this team should be ripping up ladder like nobody's business.

Do what SJCrew said. I did some testing too, and it seems to eat through most teams. I can't find any particular weakness.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are you at least mid 1300s on ladder? I'm sure it does tear through horrible players, but I've found that even the more competent 1400s and up players have extreme amounts of trouble with this team. If I lose a match with this team, it's because I made a bad move or my opponent was better, not because it was inherently bad.

Another thing I want to mention is that Magnezone is a HUGE dick to this team. It's not even funny how much it was pissing me off yesterday. I don't use Scizor conservatively at all (aka spam U-turn like an idiot when I could be using Pursuit, Superpower, or Bullet Punch to KILL the target in front of me), but that will prove to be troublesome once you face that UFO-looking can opener. Be careful.

And to anyone else that plans on rating teams like this, especially Thorns, don't be a dick. If OP tells you what the focus of the team is, you should be a good enough strategist to make it work (unless it's mono Bug, fuck mono Bug).

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, just got the pm.

Eh, I have to agree with Thorns here, but since you took the effort to build the team around those two I won't tell you to change it, and instead I'll see if you can improve it further by addressing common threats in the metagame to allow for a sweep. Furthermore, SJCrew took his time to actually test the duo and confirm that it is *somewhat* effective, so I'm not going to totally shoot you guys down :/.

For the problems this team carries, it mostly comes from the lack to effectively switch everything in, and this team isn't powerful enough to hold the name of hyper offense despite your dual screens, so you can't sacrifice pokemon willy nilly and expect to win. You lack Stealth Rock resist, Dragon resist, both of which are extremely important in the OU metagame. Your offensive combo should at least try to beat off everything as well, but fails to do so, and loses to mainly Swampert, in which case you have to bring out Leafeon and lose a little bit of your offensive edge. CB Scizor will prove extremely annoying for you, as Leafeon is like \o/ to it and you would be forced to take SR damage plus a heavy U-turn, giving you the disadvantage next turn and the turn it switches in, which is in no way good for your team so long as Leafeon simply sits there.

I look at your team building process, and I really do not see the point in Weavile, Leafeon, or Gyarados -- a friend randomly suggesting this lead to you while you find the idea to use Dual Screen Azelf isn't strategic planning at all. Apart from Gyarados giving you bait to Electivire, I would have liked to known how you chose Gyarados apart from other viable options that could have worked better with the team at hand. Similar to Gyarados Leafeon is an odd choice because Celebi also provides utility and I don't exactly see the need for a Grass type to fulfill the role of using a Grass move, as that isn't totally necessary. In fact, if you ran HP Grass on Electivire, I'm not sure if you'd even have Leafeon to begin with. However, I'd try to keep Gyarados on there to maintain the feel of the team, and it isn't exactly such an odd choice apart from pokemon like Leafeon and Weavile whose roles on the team weren't as concrete as Gyarados, or Magmorvires.

To start off, lead with Azelf. I don't think you'll be needing screens for this sort of team anyways, so I'd simply suggest running Taunt/Psychic/Explosion/Stealth Rock instead. Gyarados, Magmortar and Electivire do not need screens to pull off what they do best, so I'd simply advocate running more effective anti lead tactics in order to get the ball rolling faster for you. You don't need Weavile in this spot as it doesn't exactly help as much as it should against your team's weaknesses, so this will effectively open a spot in your team for some more needed SR and Dragon resist.

Next off, replace Leafeon and bring in some much needed steels to the game. Scizor and Jirachi in particular will work much more efficiently in revenge killing and team support, and gives you the resistances you need to make this happen. Scizor can Bullet Punch pokemon like Salamence and can revenge kill Latias, while Jirachi can also switch into latias, give you paralysis support and wish as well. These two pokemon will be a more effective backbone and will allow you to move a bit more freely with the team.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant 248 HP 252 Atk 4 Spe 4 SpD
U-turn/Superpower/Bullet Punch/Pursuit

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Impish 252 HP 176 Spe 80 Def
Iron Head/Wish/Body Slam/Fire Punch

Scizor is standard CB Scizor with 4 Speed Evs so you get the second U-turn against other CB Scizor. This will be useful as you can get the matchup advantage next turn instead of waiting on a 50/50 chance against your opponent. Jirachi can outspeed Adamant Lucario and retaliate with Fire Punch -- additionally it won't be walled by Magnezone and you can do a number to Scizor as well. Jirachi provides effective Wish support to Gyarados mainly, and can also work well with Electivire and Magmortar as well, who would really need the Wish should Spikes be on your field.

As for Magmortar, I'd simply ditch the Mild nature and run Naive as well as 248 speed so you get to outspeed Jolly Gyarados and everything underneath it, including Adamant Lucario, Mamoswine, Heatran, etc. Additionally, you should scratch Lava Plume and run something more powerful such as Fire Blast, as Lava Plume is fairly weak for something who is focusing on sweeping rather than burn support. Additionally, the lack of Life Orb on both members makes it even more important that you should run hard hitting moves so pokemon that are hit neutrally don't totally screw you over. Lastly, I'd recommend HP Grass over HP Ice on Magmortar. I don't see what you would like to hit with magmortar that HP Ice hits, and instead choose to be walled by Swampert. Additionally, you don't need 30 Spe IV for something like Naive Magmortar HP Grass, so change it back to 31.

Well, that's all I've got to say for now, good luck with magmorvire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)