Project OU Player of the Week #31: WhiteQueen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Banner by Skarm™

Welcome to the OU Player of the Week Project: Rebooted! After a month and a half hiatus, it's time to start up this project again. For those of you that don't know, this is a project where I interview a tournament player and have you, the readers, leave any questions you may have down below for them to answer. The ultimate goal is to gain insight as to how they play this skillful and strategic video game. If any of you have a suggestion for who I should interview, feel free to VM/PM me, and I will take your suggestion into consideration. Now, enough of this boring intro. Let's get to it!

WhiteQueen

Most Known For:
I'm the most unbiased power ranker Smogon has ever seen. Best BW UU player in Smogon's history. Shittiest poster. And of course, OST #11 winner.

Favorite Pokemon:
Serperior. What's not to love?

Most used Pokemon:
Serperior. She's fast, powerful, and is easily customizable for any type of teams. Her predictability and restricted move pool don't hinder her effectiveness at all.

Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I love fried chicken, Pixar movies, good at math like most Asian people are, kissed a girl before, kissed a dude too (I think), and I drive a Prius.

Where did you get your name from?
The X-Men's White Queen (Emma Frost), the bitch that reads minds, controls minds, manipulates minds, and can turn her body into glittery diamond at will, is my favorite Marvel Comics' character. The name has nothing to do with my being racist.

How and when did you get into competitive battling?
Started my journey to be the best Pokemon trainer there ever was with a Gameboy Color. Then I was old enough to have access to the Internet. Came across plenty of adult websites inadvertently and then GameFAQs. Started playing DPP competitively on Wi-Fi with other users there. Got addicted. Found out about Smogon in 2009 and had my first ladder battle on Shoddy. Played DPP OU mostly exclusively, then I got into playing DPP UU, created the famous and nearly unstoppable BlizzSpam team, and made user Bluewind quit as a result, as I took away his last niche on Smogon. Became the best BW UU player ever and didn't really care to play BW OU all that seriously because it's a shitty meta. XY OU revived my OU interest, and ORAS OU really got me back into the OU playing field again full time.

How do you feel about how ORAS plays compared to XY?
ORAS is a juiced up XY. It's taking something that's already good and making it even better, faster, and stronger. It's not much different from XY in terms of plays. I look forward to seeing more classic Pokemon receiving a mega evolution. How freaky would a Mega-Raticate be?

To add onto the above, thoughts on the team matchup issue?
If you bring a stall team, then you're putting your money on a good matchup to win. A team that can compete against any type of teams does not care about matchups. Matchup is just a dumb and bullshit excuse that some people use to explain why they lose. The abundant of threats in ORAS is what makes it fun for me. You gotta make the plays to win games and can't rely on six Pokemon to wall everything and achieve a win by boring your opponents to death.

Do you feel that there is anything that is suspect worthy at the moment?
Nothing at the moment. The meta is in a good state right now.

What's your favorite playstyle and why?
Stall used to be my favorite playstyle, as annoying my opponents on the ladder and forcing them to rage quit brought tears of joy to my eyes. Nowadays, I prefer to play offensively. Why should I waste an hour of my life trying to win a game and making 100 of switches when I can defeat my opponent in less than 20 moves? Also a major drawback of using stall is that one of your walls will eventually get critted and cost you the match, no matter how solidly you play.

What's your favorite generation of OU and why?
DPP. It's balanced and every playstyle is pretty much viable. I also like the no-team-preview aspect of it since I enjoy gimmick Pokemon and sets, which don't work quite as well with team preview.

How do you go about preparing for tournament matches? Does the process differ depending on the tournament?
Look up my opponents' replays to get an idea of how they play. Ladder as much as I can with the teams I plan on using. You always think your teams are good until you come across something that totally destroys it. So the more you solidify your teams, the more comfortable and confident you'll feel entering a match. I also have relaxing music playing in the background during game time to soothe my nerves. Or drink plenty of alcohol.

I prepare the same way for all big games (OST, WCoP, SPL). I just wing it for random tournaments.

How does it feel to be the winner of the drama-infused OST 11? Favorite and least favorite moments of the tournament?
It must be what LeBron James felt when he won his first championship. It's an incredible feeling. I can now really enjoy playing 'mon without the need to prove anything any longer. Good to be acknowledged as a competent player for once. My favorite moment was winning it all. Second favorite was all the hilarious Style-related posts in the OST thread. My least favorite part was the Bracket Recreation. It was annoying.

Thoughts on the newly introduced Smogon Classic? Favorite to win?
Haven't really followed it much. One of the ancient players will win it.

If you could change one thing about OU, what would it be and why?
Definitely get rid of Espeon and Scolipede. They're so overpowered and is an auto win condition. It's impossible to beat that broken core. </sarcasm>

Do you have any advice for newer players for playing, and for Smogon in general?
Troll as often as you can. If at first you can't be famous, then make yourself infamous. Ladder and make a name for yourself by repeatedly getting to the top of it. The more you ladder, the better you'll develop as a player. Join tournaments and do your best to play deep into them. There's no quicker way to get recognized on Smogon. Winning trumps all.

Most importantly, just have fun and enjoy yourself on here.

If you could change one thing about Smogon as a whole to make it better, what would it be and why?
I think Smogon is quite organized, and its staff does an excellent job keeping everything running as smoothly as possible. I would just clone more Masterclasses and Teles to make the tournament forums more interesting.

What players do you look up to / are good friends with?
I'm gay for McMeghan. He's so good at every tiers imaginable, and the amount of tournaments he has won is staggering. I think it's his Cute Charm ability that's causing foes to drop to their knees. I wish to be like him whenever I decide to grow up. Other than McM, I look at CBB for motivation; his underwhelming game fuels me.

Finally, can you provide us a team that's a good fit for this metagame and reflects your playstyle, with a brief explanation of how it works?

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Hex
- Sludge Wave

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Magnet Rise

Bisharp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

This team went undefeated in OST with a record of 6-0, if I recall correctly. It has all the elements that I like: Spikes stacking, status inflicting, and the use of some underrated sets--ScarfSharp and HexGar. The game plan is to stack entry hazards and to paralyze everything in sight with Klefki and Chansey's Thunder Wave. Also occasionally burning and poisoning foes with Scald and Sludge Bomb. Then nuke with Gengar's powerful Hex. Bisharp is there to wreck Defog users. And Keldeo completes the team as a win condition should all else fail.

---

Leave any questions you may have for her highness down below. See y'all next week!

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
The abundant of threats in ORAS is what makes it fun for me. You gotta make the plays to win games and can't rely on six Pokemon to wall everything and achieve a win by boring your opponents to death.
I drive a Prius
I'm the most unbiased power ranker Smogon has ever seen
Came across plenty of adult websites inadvertently and then GameFAQs
Why are there so many classic quotes in this holy damn.

- Are you looking forward to the next OLT? Regardless of the answer besides yourself, who would you like to or has the potential to win OLT? Do you feel like OLT serves its purpose in creating a higher quality ladder during its time period? If not, or even just for the sake of speaking your mind, what would you do to improve this or improve the ladder in general thinking long term obviously?

- Give us a small teambuilding guide you mentally go by in preparation for DPP teambuilding. Small general guide for your teambuilding process in the ORAS meta in a similar fashion to the DPP one you would provide

- Thought process / quick summary if you're inclined to for building the following archetypes regardless of your love or hate for them. Hyper Offense, Balance (Guess you can put Bulky Offense / Offense under this as well doesn't matter to me), Stall and by stall I mean something actually effective and not that passive stuff you already explained that is asking to get floored by something. You could use whatever as an example, good or bad.

- Barring a trolly answer were you surprised about the outcome of the whole Style incident or figured along the lines the conclusion was something to that degree?

- You say you're more into ORAS OU now but outside of that what tiers do you really enjoy either investing in or watching? Any players you think have potential in other tiers, along with OU as well if you want, in regards to tournament settings big or small?

- Thoughts on the current UU metagame as of now.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
What's with the 8 HP on Gengar and Keldeo?
Nothing fancy. Just wanted to give them a wee bit of bulk.

---

AM

- Are you looking forward to the next OLT? Regardless of the answer besides yourself, who would you like to or has the potential to win OLT? Do you feel like OLT serves its purpose in creating a higher quality ladder during its time period? If not, or even just for the sake of speaking your mind, what would you do to improve this or improve the ladder in general thinking long term obviously?
OLT definitely makes the ladder more exciting because you get to see many of your favorite players laddering under their forum names. Other than that, it's the same as the everyday ladder. You'll face beginners when your account is new, and the competition won't really pick up until your rating's above 1500. I thought the first OLT was fun, and it made the ladder more competitive for sure. It's always more fun and the games are of higher quality when there's something to win and people are playing with a purpose. Similar to OLT, perhaps give players an incentive to ladder? I'm not sure what the rewards could be.

I'm looking forward to the next OLT, and I honestly think any player that is capable of qualifying for the playoffs will have a chance to win it. All the stars have to align for someone to win a major tournament. You peak at the right time, bring the right team at the right time, Lady Luck is on your side, win those 50/50 guessing games, etc.

- Give us a small teambuilding guide you mentally go by in preparation for DPP teambuilding. Small general guide for your teambuilding process in the ORAS meta in a similar fashion to the DPP one you would provide
It's the same for any generation and any tier. First, I come up with a Pokemon or a strategy that I want to base my team on. Let's use that Hex! team as an example. I wanted to build a team around Hex Gengar, which requires spreading statuses for it to work. Enter Klefki, a Pokemon with an ability to easily paralyze most everything in sight... then I proceed from there. Once I have my six Pokemon, I ladder and continuously tweak them as I go along.

- Thought process / quick summary if you're inclined to for building the following archetypes regardless of your love or hate for them. Hyper Offense, Balance (Guess you can put Bulky Offense / Offense under this as well doesn't matter to me), Stall and by stall I mean something actually effective and not that passive stuff you already explained that is asking to get floored by something. You could use whatever as an example, good or bad.
The answer to your previous question is also applicable here. I'll provide a DPP example this time. So I decided on building a team surrounding a Liechi Berry Ninjask and Metagross core. I would give my Metagross enough EVs to outrun everything in the metagame at +3 and equip it with a Lum Berry to cure any statuses upon receiving Ninjask's boosts. Aerodactyl and Starmie would make good teammates, as the former is fast and sets up Stealth Rocks easily, while keeping my opponent from doing the same with Taunt. Life Orb Starmie maintains my team's fast pace and offensiveness, while providing another way to clear my field of rocks should my opponent bypass Aerodactyl. Then proceed from there.

- Barring a trolly answer were you surprised about the outcome of the whole Style incident or figured along the lines the conclusion was something to that degree?
Yes, pretty much. There's no way anyone could 6-0 a player like BKC twice in a row and does it in such an effortless fashion. I knew Style was a fraud right then and there. Although I did have a sliver of hope that maybe she was just that damn impressive. As for the TDs' decision to recreate the bracket, it was understandable. People were already congratulating me, assuming that I'd get a bye. I knew I wouldn't get no bye for a tournament like OST.

- You say you're more into ORAS OU now but outside of that what tiers do you really enjoy either investing in or watching? Any players you think have potential in other tiers, along with OU as well if you want, in regards to tournament settings big or small?
I always enjoy playing and watching DPP OU games. As for ORAS OU, new players like dEnIsSsS, DennisEG, daftmau5, Aurious, etc. should continue to improve and do really well in future tournaments.

- Thoughts on the current UU metagame as of now.
Haven't really played ORAS UU much to have an accurate opinion of it. The few random games I played, they were enjoyable.
----

How much did playing in the Farm League prep you for OST 11?
Just make sure to play at least four games and make sure you win them all. That momentum will carry you to an OST trophy.

What was your thought process in bringing Geopass to OST Finals?
The same reason why you would bring any team--to win.

What's the dumbest thing you've faced in a battle?
People who make needless double switches, aka "the plays," really annoy me. There's no reason to take a risk unless the reward outweighs it. I think trying to be fancy when it's not needed is dumb.

Do you play any OMs? If so, which ones?
No idea what that is.

best players ever in each tier you've played go
I have no idea. You're good at DPP, but I wouldn't say you're the best at it. Leftiez is good at BW, and I wouldn't say he's the best at it. I'm good at ORAS, and I wouldn't say I'm the best at it. It'd be a lot easier to answer if you asked me the players who I thought were overrated.

Thoughts on leremyju?
His power rankings will improve.

Best Smogon Couple other than the ones involving you?
It's a tie between Kevin Garrett + Limitless and M Dragon + Tele.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Which players are overrated?
Lol you're seriously asking me this?

SoulWind: don't get me wrong. I think he's a good player, as his tournament success has shown. I just don't think he's a GREAT player, as a bunch of people seem to believe he is. My opinions are based on the games that we have played, and he simply does not impress me all that much. I don't think I'm a great player either, in case anyone wonders.

CTC: he's average and is not even a good player. Not sure where all the hype originates from.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Which would you say you're better at: DPP or ORAS?
Which do you prefer of the two?
How do you think ORAS would play if there was no team preview?
Ban Scald?
Unban on thing in ORAS OU, ORAS UU, and DPP OU. Go.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
Which would you say you're better at: DPP or ORAS? Which do you prefer of the two?
I'm definitely better at DPP and prefer it over ORAS.

How do you think ORAS would play if there was no team preview?
It's too scary to even think about. The many threats are already difficult to deal with upfront...can't even fathom not knowing what lures behind those hidden pokeballs. ORAS would be a shitfest without team preview. Maybe someone should host a no team preview tournament to see how it plays.

Ban Scald?
No. Why not just ban Sucker Punch, Iron Head, Lava Plume, Waterfall, Rock Slide, and all the other luck based moves too? Pokemon is 70% skills and 30% luck. Some people just need to accept that.

Unban on thing in ORAS OU, ORAS UU, and DPP OU. Go.
All the banned ORAS OU Pokemon are in their rightful tier. Haven't really played UU to know. As for DPP, Latias could be unbanned. I never thought she was broken.

How to make BW OU better according to you?
Nerf weather. Make Rain, Sand, Sun, and Hail all last five turns. We'll still have weather wars, but at least it's not suicide to not use one of the weather inducers in your team.

Last edited:

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
Favourite mon in DPP?

Preference on team preview or not? (In general)

Favourite/best Serperior moveset?

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
  • Power Rank everyone who's been interviewed by Clone so far.
  • Least favorite mon that everyone uses?
  • Most overhyped mon in general in ORAS?
  • To parallel the last question, is there a super underrated mon that deserves more spotlight?
Congrats on winning OST11!

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
Favourite mon in DPP?
Abomasnow.

Preference on team preview or not? (In general)
No team preview in DPP and team preview in ORAS.

Favourite/best Serperior moveset?
Serperior @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
252Sp.Attk/4Sp.Def/252Spe
---
Leaf Storm
Giga Drain
Hidden Power (depends on team)
Dragon Pulse

If you provide me the list of names, I'll be happy to.
  • Least favorite mon that everyone uses?
Ferrothorn. I hated it since BW OU.
  • Most overhyped mon in general in ORAS?
Mega Metagross. It's not that bad. Not sure why everyone was getting their panties all wet over how overpowered it is. It is not overpowered. Mega Altaria is a lot scarier in terms of its versatility.
  • To parallel the last question, is there a super underrated mon that deserves more spotlight?
Serperior. It should be S-ranked. I said that without bias. A Pokemon as fast and as powerful as it is deserves more, much more, spotlight.

xray

how u doin'?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Nice opinion to matchup in ORAS i can totally agree!

which team(s) will perform well in wcop?(besides asia.)

how do you start buildinf your teams?

when will you continue with your rankings????

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
#1 McMeghan
#2 BKC
#3 gr8astard
#4 Bloo
#5 Leftiez
#6 Tesung
#7 Tele
#8 M Dragon
#9 aim
#10 Xtra$hine
#11 Stathakis
#12 PDC
#13 blunder
#14 Destiny Device
#15 reyscarface
#16 Lyconik
#17 Tokyo Tom
#18 Bad Ass
#19 -Tsunami-
#20 KratosMana
#21 Chimpact
#22 CrashinBoomBang
#23 FLCL
#24 Adam
#25 Valentine
#26 Living So Zambian
#27 mencemeat
#28 Reverb
#29 Haunter
#30 CTC

Nice opinion to matchup in ORAS i can totally agree!
which team(s) will perform well in wcop?(besides asia.)
France and U.S. East (I'm disgusted with myself for saying that).

how do you start buildinf your teams?
First, I come up with a Pokemon or a strategy that I want to base my team on. Let's use that Hex! team as an example. I wanted to build a team around Hex Gengar, which requires spreading statuses for it to work. Enter Klefki, a Pokemon with an ability to easily paralyze most everything in sight... then I proceed from there. Once I have my six Pokemon, I ladder and continuously tweak them as I go along.

when will you continue with your rankings????
Whenever I feel inspired. I don't like doing it when it feels forced.

Last edited:

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Who, in your opinion, will be the next OU Player of the Week, why and who would you like to see?

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
Who, in your opinion, will be the next OU Player of the Week, why and who would you like to see?
I would like to see you, Marshall.Law, TheEnder, etc. get featured. I'm not a fan of overhyped players. I like to know more about good players who tend to keep it low key on the forums.

1. will you do more wcop rankings? please do more wcop rankings
I will when it comes naturally again. I just don't like doing it when it feels forced.

2. do all the dinosaurs in team asia interact with the rest of the team in irc/skype/whatever team channel?
Lol yes, especially IRC. They're all there and are very quality and friendly people.

3. give us a quick preview of who you expect to be on semifinals this wcop
Asia, France, East, and West (or Central). Both West and Central are doing better than I initially thought.

4. top 5 best megas in oras ou rn
1. Altaria
2. Charizard-X
3. Metagross
4. Scizor
5. Sableye

5. top 6 best non mega pokes in oras ou rn
1. Serperior
2. Clefable
3. Tornadus-T
4. Lando-T
5. Bisharp
6. Raikou

6. toughest battle in your ost run?
Game three versus ben gay.

7. opinion on hail in oras ou
It's really bad. It makes me sad to admit that.

Will you continue to tear up OSTs in the future or is 1 trophy enough?
Who are some of the oldgen veteran 'legend' players that you look up to?
Opinion on Oceania?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)