Project OU Player of the week #40: Cosine180

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Banner by Skarm™

Welcome to the OU Player of the Week Project: Rebooted! For those of you that don't know, this is a project where I interview a tournament player and have you, the readers, leave any questions you may have down below for them to answer. The ultimate goal is to gain insight as to how they play this skillful and strategic video game. If any of you have a suggestion for who I should interview, feel free to VM/PM me, and I will take your suggestion into consideration. Now, enough of this boring intro. Let's get to it!

cosine180

Most Known For:
Being a newcomer and doing well in Smogon Tour and WCoP

Favorite Pokemon:
Probably Rayquaza because its the most nostalgic to me

Most used Pokemon:
Tyranitar

Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I'm 17 years old, German, just finished school and love to play basketball and table tennis.

Where did you get your name from?
Honestly, i don't really know, I like math a lot and thought most words from that area sounded pretty cool. I think 'axiomalpha' was my first name, then i switched to cosine.

How and when did you get into competitive battling?
I started with trying to build the perfect team in one of the cartridge games and competed on Twitch, while doing that i did a ton of research and stumbled upon some Youtubers who played on a simulator which i found quite interesting. I played a bit casually on PO, then switched over to PS because i liked the design more, but it wasn't until 1 year ago that i found Smogon and the competitive side of the game, the first OLT really got me started.

How do you feel about how ORAS plays compared to XY?
As opposed to many other players, I quite enjoy ORAS. Theres so many strategies and possibilities you have which weren't there in XY, so as someone who loves building i like ORAS more.

To add onto the above, thoughts on the team matchup issue?
This one is tough, because the presence of so many new threats makes it harder to be able to beat everything. When building, theres so much to watch out for, and its quite easy to lose turn 0 if you're not careful. All of that aside, i think that matchup is just an excuse for bad teambuilding.

Do you feel that there is anything that is suspect worthy at the moment?
Shadow Tag is a tough one because it unbalances the meta regarding the fact that it pretty much solely beats full stall, making it almost unviable. As of now, it doesn't have to highest usage but I'm sure that it deserves a suspect.

What's your favorite playstyle and why?
I try building and playing all playstyles, but i mostly enjoy Balance and Bulky Offense, because you can play safe and switch into most pokemon, as well as have the option to outplay your opponent when you're behind.

What's your favorite generation of OU and why?
I really like the DPP metagame, but my favorite has to still be ORAS, just because of the unlimited option you have.

How do you go about preparing for tournament matches? Does the process differ depending on the tournament?
It's important to me that I play a team I'm comfortable with, I can't use something that I don't know in and out, so I play a ton of games before just to know every little weakness. When the game starts, I usually listen to music to help me relax. This goes for every tournament except for Smogon Tour, where I choose about 10-15 teams of all playstyles, so that my opponent won't know what I'm gonna bring and scouting becomes impossible.

Favorite to win STour?
There are obviously some great players playing this year, like BKC, Bad Ass and Sweepage who all have good chances, but I wouldn't count out my friend XRay who's definitely going far this year.

If you could change one thing about OU, what would it be and why?
I'd love if there was some nerf to the move Defog, for example, that the ability Hyper Cutter not only stops the evasion drop but also the removal of hazards. That would open up a lot of cool new strategies.

Do you have any advice for newer players for playing, and for Smogon in general?
The most important part of course is to have fun. That's pretty much the main reason everyone plays Pokemon, and this really shouldn't be forgotten. Don't take it too seriously when something doesn't go your way and try to keep your goal in mind. When you lose, try to figure out why (it can't always be luck or matchup lol) and try to improve accordingly.

If you could change one thing about Smogon as a whole to make it better, what would it be and why?
Imagine if there was prize money for big tours like OST or Smogon Tour, that'd be amazing but it's probably never gonna happen lol.

What players do you look up to / are good friends with?
There's a lot of people on here that I'm good friends with. It'd probably take forever to list them all but I'll try.
Lets start with some german friends:
CBB, Aurious, Get this Money, Fakes, Quaggster, Bluri, UCan'tSeeMe and Steve Angello

Some people from twitch, which is basically the place i grew up:
Dark380, Megastaruniverse, Teremiare, Epicalman01 and Hwoophz

Next up some people from bof:
Geemick, ABR, Ox the Fox, FNH, Tom Bus and Zamrock

The whole VoD crew of course:
TDK, Shake, Omfuuuga, Anti, Radianthero, Tesung, Blunder, Cased, FLCL, Moony and Valentine

Other people:
Masterclass, Somalia, xtra$hine, High Impulse, PDC, TheEnder, MDragon and Soulwind

Special shoutouts to XRay, Denissss, Prankster and Reverb who are best friends on here and also the people i spend the most time with. Also shoutout to Kevin Garret who's a really good friend.

I hope I didn't forget anyone, I'll add them in the comments if i notice :)

Finally, can you provide us a team that's a good fit for this metagame and reflects your playstyle, with a brief explanation of how it works?
http://hastebin.com/riguxawavi.md
This is a cool HO i made for OLT and smogon tour. The idea was to rely on sashes to beat most threats in the current meta, along with 4 SD mons to break balance and stall. Diancie and starmie helps keep hazards off the field, which is the most important thing when playing this team. You have 3 great leads in Diancie, Breloom and Chomp. Even Bisharp works sometimes if you predict a Lando lead which is very common. Talonflame is there to sweep lategame and also likes to have rocks off the field. The team is very easy to play and great for both laddering and official tour games.

---

leave any questions you have below. see you next week!

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
1) what does your team click vs a dd mega altaria? besides X of course
2) how did you prepare all your world cup battles to get such an impressive record? did you watch countless replays of your opponent to get a grasp of what they like and then make an appropriate team you think would work best vs them?
3) what was the thing that made you improve most as a player in such a short period of time
4) if we were to suspect shadow tag, would you vote ban or no ban
5) what type of music do you listen to before your tour battles
6) how much of your life did you spend away playing pokemon during the first week of OLT where you got 2 of your accounts in the top 4?
7) based on those who qualified already, who do you consider to be a top threat/contender for OLT? do you think anyone in the future will qualify and make a huge splash too?
8) are you a math major or even the slightest bit good at math or is your name just complete bullshit
9) most underrated battlers go go go!!! and dont give me shit names everyone knows by this point like TDK, gimme some unknown or less known people :O

Ragnarock

Banned deucer.
:]

When you teambuild, what do you usually keep in mind before working around a specific mon or core?

What do you feel is the best way to approach the ladder for OLT?

Are you into "white sticks" like good user ABR?

Will Omfuga win OLT? Thoughts on Nicki Minaj?

Why did your POCL team decide to dip and have our teams tie instead of having a chance to win the week?

1) Are you planning to pursue a degree in Pure Mathematics or Applied Mathematics?
2) Favourite move in Pokemon?
3) Which Pokemon in ORAS do you really like to put into most of your teams?
4) Is predicting the opponent's move considered "over-glorified guessing" to you?

Cosine :]

Thoughts on laddering

Why do you prefer lures over trappers?

Why do you like to squeeze Nicki minaj's Os? "Rly get in there AAH"

Thoughts on my lordly building skills?

Do you think it's freaky we're both born on the same day?

Why is your taste in music awful 90% of the time?

What percent of your building skills do you contribute to your inspiration from me?

Can you find a girl prettier than Ashe Maree?

Any tips for building? I used to have a team based around diancie breaking offence and hoopa braking stall but that was my only team that actually got anywhere. i'd really appreciate the help :]

quick ban goth y/y
i guess y is my only option
1) what does your team click vs a dd mega altaria? besides X of course
2) how did you prepare all your world cup battles to get such an impressive record? did you watch countless replays of your opponent to get a grasp of what they like and then make an appropriate team you think would work best vs them?
3) what was the thing that made you improve most as a player in such a short period of time
4) if we were to suspect shadow tag, would you vote ban or no ban
5) what type of music do you listen to before your tour battles
6) how much of your life did you spend away playing pokemon during the first week of OLT where you got 2 of your accounts in the top 4?
7) based on those who qualified already, who do you consider to be a top threat/contender for OLT? do you think anyone in the future will qualify and make a huge splash too?
8) are you a math major or even the slightest bit good at math or is your name just complete bullshit
9) most underrated battlers go go go!!! and dont give me shit names everyone knows by this point like TDK, gimme some unknown or less known people :O
1: i never lost to it, if i keep rocks off then sashbisharp + talon are enough, also every mon gets off a ton of prior damage (loom can +2 bullet seed and mach punch, chomp can eq + rough skin)
2: personally, im not a big fan of counterteaming/counterstyling. i try using teams that can handle everything, but for example, if i have some big weakness to lo bisharp (see my first wcop game vs marcoco) but my opponent never plays offense, then i usually look over it.
3: i dont really like losing, so every time i lose an important game, i watch it back and try to see what i did wrong. this started from my first 'official tour' which was some minileague called ocl where i lost to healing wish clefable. i learned that you should consider every possible option when playing, especially if you think you have the game won.
4: hm theres a difference between shadow tag and just gothitelle, i think id be fine with either and vote ban.
5: i love edm, stuff like hardwell, vicetone, avicii, but also rock from time to time. check out avicii - 'dear boy' (avicii remix), thats my favorite song atm.
6: toooo much, i gotta say i had fun tho, cause i built some teams specifically for olt and had the chance to test them out and improve them as i was playing.
7: xray, tesung, you and leftiez ofc, and then tdk and pdc for people yet to qualify
8: ill start studying math and computer science in about 1 month and id say im pretty good at it
9: get this money (despite using stall), aurious, quaggster, bluri and advanceship (go germany!:]) srsly tho these guys are good
(1) When you teambuild, what do you usually keep in mind before working around a specific mon or core?
(2) What do you feel is the best way to approach the ladder for OLT?
(3) Are you into "white sticks" like good user ABR?
(4) Will Omfuga win OLT? Thoughts on Nicki Minaj?
(5) Why did your POCL team decide to dip and have our teams tie instead of having a chance to win the week?
1: type synergy is soooo important in a meta where there are 700+ mons, you cant just have 3 ground types and no water resist. when you have a prototype ready, keep testing it out until find all its weaknesses and try adjusting it as much as possible
2: anything with offensive pressure works really, defensive teams just take way too long to play and make it way harder for you to get offtilt (trust me i played my first 100 or so games with a semistallish team). balance can work as long as you have 1-2 breakers.
3: .
4: omfugas the best. 11/10 for nicki.
5: no idea whats goin on with pocl, mdragon had 2 activity losses despite being there and idk whats up with the tie.
Do you have any other advice on trying to improve in pokemon?
take a look at some good players and their teams, if you're really knew try some good teams out to get to know the tier (thats how i started), and try to find the playstyle you like the most. if you have a cool idea or synergy just start building and building around it, sometimes i have up to 10 teams around the same core just to end up with 1 good team.
Thoughts on trigonometry?
kinda boring lol
1) What is the best mega in ORAS?
2) Top 3 underrated mons in ORAS?
3) Do you actually like maths?
1: hm tough one, id say zam or diancie. altaria and venu are up there too as well as sableye and zard x, but if i had to decide id probably go with zam
2: gastrodon is great cause it beats those mons that rely on scald to break stuff, cofagrigus can be cool if used correctly (tspikes + spinblocker is dope), and slowking is also cool cause it checks the fuck out of manaphy midgame (even eball wont kill av variants) and because of its versatility (you can run av, np, cm, twave slack, or just 3 atks w/ fire coverage)
3: yup
1) Are you planning to pursue a degree in Pure Mathematics or Applied Mathematics?
2) Favourite move in Pokemon?
3) Which Pokemon in ORAS do you really like to put into most of your teams?
4) Is predicting the opponent's move considered "over-glorified guessing" to you?
1: yes but for now im only doing it because itll give me better chances to get into the university that i wanna go to. im pretty sure ill change my major after a year or so.
2: hm favorite move, thats a tough one, spikes and swords dance are definitely up there, thunder wave i have mixed feelings about, pursuit is amazing too. idk i dont think i can decide lol. as to ingame itd have to be blast burn, damn my charizard killed everything.
3: tyranitar, starmie is up there too
4: good question, when playing i always consider the 'worst possible case', lets say your opponent predicts you and ohkoes the mon you just switched to. if you weigh the best possible case, the least possible case and the most likely case (this is the predicting part) you should get your best possible play. there are also some moves that make it less necessary for you to predict, for example setup moves, knock off, hazards, uturn/voltswitch, as well as status moves and scald/lava plume.
1. What's your IQ?
2. Opinion on this chess game?
3. When are you coming to the USA?
1: not answering that
2: ahhh the double rook sack game, of course i saw this before, what a brilliancy
3: hooopefully fall next year but i cant be sure
1) fave team in bundesliga?
2) fav NBA team?
3) who's cuter: Reus or Gotze
4) Cutest Pokemon?
5) Funniest Ladder Experience
1: not a huge football (soccer w/e) fan, it used to be munich but i dont really have one anymore
2: heaaaat
3: lol
4: i think eevee
5: hmmm, not sure actually, there are too many times for me to remember lol. high impulse getting a game and losing when he was safe to qualify for olt cycle 3 is definitely up there.
Cosine :]
(1) Thoughts on laddering
(2) Why do you prefer lures over trappers?
(3) Why do you like to squeeze Nicki minaj's Os? "Rly get in there AAH"
(4) Thoughts on my lordly building skills?
(5) Do you think it's freaky we're both born on the same day?
1: Can be fun but only when only when you face good players (olt) and not when everyone uses that gothitelle stall
2: Trappers can be powerful because they create pressure and force your opponent to make plays, but theyre also predictable and can be taken advantage of (hp fire locked zone often gives setup chances for example). When you have something like lo Chomp to lure skarms instead youll be in a much better position afterwards, and they best part is your opponent cant double out on the 'trapper'
3: LOOOL you cant do this
4: i too like losing to azumarill :]
5: :o crazyness
(1) Why is your taste in music awful 90% of the time?
(2) What percent of your building skills do you contribute to your inspiration from me?
(3) Can you find a girl prettier than Ashe Maree?
1: who are you
2: i never used shedinja before
3: ur moms up there
Are you smarter than a 5th grader?
are you smarter than a canadian 5th grader?
Opinions on current NBA? I can never seem to find basketball fans in the ou forums (which teams are best, improvements that need to be made, etc.)
i can only watch basketball in shitty quality on some streams here, so no idea about the current state of the nba
(1) Thoughts on everyone using your team on ladder
(2) Are you bloos new alt?
(3) Whats your favourite official tour?
(4) Rate my Haxball and tpro performance on a scale from 1-10
1: cant blame them ;]
2: ni hao
3: smogon tour is amazing, so many good people battling live
4: depends on whats the lowest
Any tips for building? I used to have a team based around diancie breaking offence and hoopa braking stall but that was my only team that actually got anywhere. i'd really appreciate the help :]
like i said, keep trying to build as many teams around your core as you can, youll find the strengths and weaknesses eventually, oh also diancie is a bit too slow to really break offense, and you can rarely rp against offense, try adding a better offense breaker to your core.

Do you plan on doing a RMT for your Teams in the Future?
Which German City do you like Most?
On what level do you play Chess?

MegaStarUniverse

Banned deucer.

The pokemon you use the most is Tyranitar. Now can you guess what pokemon i use the most on my teams?

Thoughts on my Godly Team building skills?

what are most of my teams weak too? from what you see

What should i mostly improve on in my battling? like my thought process? and how can you make it easier to think long term? since when i first look at team preview my mind is sometimes blank lol. any more advise you have for me?

Most overrated OU mon?

If you could suspect a current Uber to be retested in OU, what would it be and why?

Dumbest thing you've seen someone use against you?

(1)Do you plan on doing a RMT for your Teams in the Future?
(2)Which German City do you like Most?
(3)On what level do you play Chess?
1: Im actually working on one right now ;]
2: I recently visited Heidelberg which is just beautiful, and Ill soon be studying in Bonn which is just as great
3: I quit playing competitively a while ago, i used to be pretty good tho ;] 5th in my country and qualified for european and world championship
The pokemon you use the most is Tyranitar. Now can you guess what pokemon i use the most on my teams?
Thoughts on my Godly Team building skills?
what are most of my teams weak too? from what you see
What should i mostly improve on in my battling? like my thought process? and how can you make it easier to think long term? since when i first look at team preview my mind is sometimes blank lol. any more advise you have for me?
LOL u cant just ask about yourself, i dont think thats the point haha. ill answer u on skype lmao
(1)Most overrated OU mon?
(2)If you could suspect a current Uber to be retested in OU, what would it be and why?
(3)Dumbest thing you've seen someone use against you?
1: hm, tough one. id say hoopa as of now, just because its rank is way better than how it does in battle. i think it has potential tho
2: either genesect or deoxys-s, both are pretty broken tbh but hella fun to use.
3: uhm, i assume dumb means bad or gimmicky in this case, i guess pikachu-popstar on ladder idk. as for tourplay, i think someone used unnerve ttar against me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)