Project OU Player of the week #43: ArchPhantom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Banner by Skarm™

Welcome to the OU Player of the Week Project: Rebooted! For those of you that don't know, this is a project where I interview a tournament player and have you, the readers, leave any questions you may have down below for them to answer. The ultimate goal is to gain insight as to how they play this skillful and strategic video game. If any of you have a suggestion for who I should interview, feel free to VM/PM me, and I will take your suggestion into consideration. Now, enough of this boring intro. Let's get to it!

ArchPhantom

Most Known For:

Top 16 in OST, Played for Afrabs in WCOP

Favorite Pokemon:

Blaziken

Most used Pokemon:

Garchomp and Tornadus-T

Can you tell us a little about yourself?

Hello (n_n)/ I'm a 21 year old dude living and working atm in Qatar and just saving up to go back to uni. I'm a sucker for games, anime and football (feet). Speak Arabic too :D! Hajimemashite ~

Where did you get your name from?

I honestly do not remember how this name came to be :o

How and when did you get into competitive battling?

I got a little bored after beating the GBA pokemon games over and over, so I went online and see if there was some type of pkmn. This was around 2008, a couple years after pkmn emerald iirc. That's when I stumbled upon shoddy battle and I was like "omg, unreal." And thus the obsession began

How do you feel about how ORAS plays compared to XY?

I feel ORAS plays much more aggressive compared to XY and with all these strong ass threats, it's p cray. Though I like what ORAS is doing atm (excluding Goth stall.) and I feel there's still some innovations to be created in this meta, maybe. ORAS still has some maturing to do (ex: Mega Metagross was S rank in early ORAS + a suspect tested messiah; now it's not even seen anymore) and perhaps it may transcend late XY as a really great meta.

To add onto the above, thoughts on the team matchup issue?

Hmm, team match up always existed in mons but I don't think it's as big as its sometimes made out to be. Any team will always have its weakness, but what separates good players from the rest is their ability to identify and then mitigate team weaknesses to the best of their ability with smart teambuilding and wise in-battle decisions.

Do you feel that there is anything that is suspect worthy at the moment?

not really

What's your favorite playstyle and why?

I love sand balance because it has such a strong presence no matter what you're up against. The value you get out of just two slots in sand setter and Excadrill is quite insane imo--(Speed Control, Hazards, Hazard Control, match up vs HO, residual damage, anti-fairy and anti-bird, strong late-game cleaner)-- with the only downsides being that they stack weaknesses and get shredded by strong prio users (Breloom, Bisharp, Azumarill). But yeah sand balance is one of my faves.

What's your favorite generation of OU and why?

Gen 4 is near and dear to me because it's where I learned the ropes, the ins and the outs, etc. good days, good days <3

How do you go about preparing for tournament matches? Does the process differ depending on the tournament?

Typically, I'd look up my opponent's replays (if it's a big tour) and try to identify patterns and playstyles they tend to favor. I then go with a combination of 6 mons that match up well vs said patterns/playstyles without being utter shit vs other things. I also tend to avoid ct'ing unless my opp always brings a certain set. Like always, always. Then I test that team vs friends, on ladder, vs. good players, etc. After that, I make variations of the team if I feel it necessary just to have options ya feel. But in most cases I just whip out a team that I feel is cool or that has a mon I didn't use in a while and just dive in.

Favorite to win STour?

Leftiez and cosine180 no lies told

If you could change one thing about OU, what would it be and why?

Eh, bye bye Gothitelle I guess cause Trick + STag is p damn dumb imo

Do you have any advice for newer players for playing, and for Smogon in general?

My advice for new players is to use whatever resource you're comfortable with (YouTube, smogon articles, battling 101, tutoring, etc) to get yourself familiar with the basics of competitive mons. Study and play test top teams of the tier you're interested in and when you lose, take notes and see what you could've done to win. Try out different playstyles and don't limit yourself. Also get involved in the community; join tours, workshops and leagues; if you have questions, ask. But most importantly, have fun!

If you could change one thing about Smogon as a whole to make it better, what would it be and why?

I'd make it so that newcomers or beginners are met with a useful guide pack/alert/thingie upon signing up that includes the 1 2 3s of mons to help get em started. (idk if this is already implemented, if so my b)

What players do you look up to / are good friends with?

Here's a non descriptive mixture of frens and players I look up to:

GeeMick, ThePack, AM, cosine180, Leftiez, Lady Bug, bludz, Albacore, BlackBloodz, Masterclass, Clone, Tom Bus, blazelatias, OmfuGOD, njnp, analytic, Invok3r, bad ass, ben gay, mencemeat, bluwing, blunder, aim, bof folk, and a whole bunch of others *.*

Finally, can you provide us a team that's a good fit for this metagame and reflects your playstyle, with a brief explanation of how it works?

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Secret Sword
- Sleep Talk
- Scald

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The above team revolves around wearing down and trapping shit so Excadrill or M-Altaria can win, p straightforward. Bulky DD M-Altaria is this teams answer to a lot of offensive threats like Both Zards, electrics, and fast fighting types. Heal Bell gives me some clerical support to cure random status especially with all the wisp Tflames running around. Banded Ttar + SD Exca are mainly for speed control though they help a ton in breaking Altaria's C&C's down. Magnezone's function is to trap steels for both my set up dudes and to check Thundurus + a few fairies (sick check right haha)

Lando-T is the team's rocker with Knock Off for that Mag trappin synergy. On this build, I decided to go with a SDef lando because M-Zam and Gengar literally just win otherwise. Trust, SDef lando t is like really, really good. Finally, Keldeo was needed seeing that Bisharp destroyed me. Resttalk + LO is a p decent hard hitting set that worked for this build. Threats to this include Azumarill and Mega Diancie but all can be played around. The key to this team is to play very, very strategically; no stuntin' allowed w this squadron

Hello n_n
Big fan of ur teams
Explain ur team building process
Top 3 unnderated sets
E
Hey thanks brotha.

My teambuilding process: 1) start w/ a mon or core, 2) mentally list what stops it from carrying out its intended goal, 3) pick several mons that deal with #2's list, 4) out of these picks, I'd use the ones with the best synergy / efficiency with the initial core / mon, 5) I'd then ensure I have some counter play to the 'meta' of the moment, 6) test for any weaknesses and shortcomings. But usually I'd just throw together 6 goons and ignore any blatant weaknesses and just say, "it's ORAS."

Trick Room Reuniclus especially now w/ all these hoes and exploitable balance cores; Adamant LO SD Terrakion which at +2 kills every single wall, like actually blows em' away; Focus Blast + Iron Head Kyurem-Black; 2 hits, destroy literally every check bar Scizor. Every. Single. One.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Focus Blast
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

favourites to win slam and olt?
Haven't been following grand slam too closely but Mazar is poppin' tbh. As for olt, it's cosine180 or Leftiez, either one I'd be happy with
You are
literally
a god.
No u :]

arch !! happy for you :]
didn't know you played football dude, what position? i used to be a striker when i was 6 yo and then reverted all the way back to cdm 10 years later and i was the captain of my team for 3 years
could you cope if hippo and ttar weren't things ?
which upcoming tour do you wanna do big things in ?
what do you think is lacking in your game to get on another level ? (mons wise i mean)

arch !! happy for you :]
didn't know you played football dude, what position? i used to be a striker when i was 6 yo and then reverted all the way back to cdm 10 years later and i was the captain of my team for 3 years
could you cope if hippo and ttar weren't things ?
which upcoming tour do you wanna do big things in ?
what do you think is lacking in your game to get on another level ? (mons wise i mean)
:]
Yeah bro I played goalkeeper and sometimes full back

Oh yes I could, shoulda seen me in XY, was spammin Rhyperior like it was my job :P

Hmm the next OST and the current Olt for now and I guess ST if I actually join the tours heh

Hmm I think it's this sort of putting bounds on myself in terms of teambuilding. I'll admit that I sometimes miss my XY building "spirit" or w/e. Used really insane stuff like Mega Manectric + Mandibuzz + Mienshao to hit high ladder with. Idk I think it can be seen as falling into a trap of habit with teambuilding, but it must be ORAS things imo

Last edited:
Nice interview. Maybe I should call you king of sand lol.

Anyway a few questions.

Why is T-wave clef so evil?
Thoughts on dark spam and double fairy cores?
Thoughts on user AM?
Gothitelle, clefable or bisharp. Which of these would you give a mega and why?
5 things pokemon teachs that life can't?

Enjoy :)

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How often do you find yourself using pursuit trapping on teams and do you tend to build with it as part of the team's basic premise or is it more of an auxiliary function?

Favorite coverage on Manaphy?

Thoughts on CB Hoopa-U?

Top 3 favorite "surprise" moves to use & the mons you use them on?

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Excadrill is now banned. What do you do?
Free gene yn
How did you appear out of nowhere? I remember first seeing you in like late 2014, but you joined in 2009.
Thoughts on ou no mega

Nice interview. Maybe I should call you king of sand lol.

Anyway a few questions.

Why is T-wave clef so evil?
Thoughts on dark spam and double fairy cores?
Thoughts on user AM?
Gothitelle, clefable or bisharp. Which of these would you give a mega and why?
5 things pokemon teachs that life can't?

Enjoy :)
1/4 chance to hit, too strong. When something proactively goes for the RNG, you best know that shits evil.

really strong. A lot of teams are built to handle 1 Bisharp, not two of em.

I think AM is one of the coolest doods on smogon. Of the S rank jesi easily

1-you need to create your own custom EV spread to take the hits life throws at you...
2- Hyper offense taught me that sometimes you need to sacrifice a key element of your life-whether it be time, money, etc- in order to, um, achieve... (sac tflame into chomp so bish wins ez)...
3-no matter what you are, there is a team out there that welcomes you...
4-to level up, you must grind. even shortcuts (Rare Candy) have to be purchased with your own money ;]
5.you cannot run without running shoes?

How often do you find yourself using pursuit trapping on teams and do you tend to build with it as part of the team's basic premise or is it more of an auxiliary function?

Favorite coverage on Manaphy?

Thoughts on CB Hoopa-U?

Top 3 favorite "surprise" moves to use & the mons you use them on?
hmm I'd say a fair amount of times. It really depends on the build and, no I don't usually build with it as a premise. Definitely an auxiliary function most of the time.

Hmm I like psychic *.*

The ability to 2HKO every non resistant wall after rocks is very, very scary. Haven't tried it but I think that on the right team it'd be a game winner.

Natural Gift Fire on Azumarill. Grass Knot on Thundurus. Iron Tail on Tornadus-T :]

Are you excited for the FIFA World Cup in Qatar?

Do you live close enough to where the games will be played that you are able to watch them in person? If so, do you plan to watch them in person?

What is the most creative team you've ever built?
Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Iron Head
- Fusion Bolt
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Crunch

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Emboar @ Coba Berry
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Flare Blitz
- Sucker Punch
- Head Smash

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 136 Atk / 152 Def / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Had to dig this one up, an updated version of the lure gang. Dat KB + Coba Berry Emboar is wild; wouldn't call this my most creative, those are all from XY ;] but I can't seem to find any of em .cri
Excadrill is now banned. What do you do?
Free gene yn
How did you appear out of nowhere? I remember first seeing you in like late 2014, but you joined in 2009.
Thoughts on ou no mega
I Sandslash. FYI, I actually used sandslash in BW after exca got canned. Still remember that team too ;_;
Yh I wasn't active on the forums until I think XY believe it or not. I was just lurking in the shadows (;.)
Ou no mega is dolla bill cash. A lot more freedom in building cause megas really put a strain up on it. Don't have to worry about a m alt 6-0ing your ho
Are you excited for the FIFA World Cup in Qatar?

Do you live close enough to where the games will be played that you are able to watch them in person? If so, do you plan to watch them in person?
yeah I am excited since it may be the first one I get to go to in person. Qatar is really small so getting to the places is p easy. If I'm alive and well and still here, then yeah I plan to see some nizche WCOP matches :]

what is your favorite movie?
favorite drink?
favorite food?
favorite band?
LOTR is special to me.

Snapple Kiwi Strawberry. Funny thing is I haven't had that stuff in years; either Qatar stopped selling it or I'm not looking in the right places cause I have NOT seen any...thnx for reminding me :'X

Hmm hmmm hmmmm.....too many. One of em is definitely pad thai noodles X.X

Hmm I don't have favorites per se but I do like paramore, flyleaf (the one with lacey), Japanese bands I can't remember, um some of ling tosite sigure's stuff, and yh my brain doesn't like searching through itself bzzt

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Ok serious questions now.

I asked Vertex the other day but I want to make sure I'm not the only one cause no one has really spoken up or mentioned anything of the sorts, maybe I'm being delusional. Am I the only one that thinks Hippowdon has gotten worse? What's your thoughts on that?

I see you once in a blue mon graze the ranking thread what's some of the lower rank mons you think should move around if you're into all that? Everytime people talk about we read tons of theorymon and shit, granted that's the nature of the thread, so your thoughts on that?

Leftiez and I were talking about your match with him the other day for OST awhile back. That last turn where game 3 was about to be decided on whoever picked that right play, what was going through your mind whether or not to click Bullet Punch or Roost on M-Scizor? I believe that was the scenario you were in iirc but I remember the smogtours chat just anxiously waiting for that final moment. Such good matches to watch and the Twave Latios was clutch.

Guys like you and myself use a ton of wild shit all the time to win games. I sort of know the answer or have my own philosophy to this but when and if a new guy comes to you how do you respond in establishing where to draw the line of innovation / consistency? Figured I asked since new guys read these and it's nice to see perspectives.

Any interest in others tiers? I'm really focused on OU but like to sort of lurk UU related stuff or play games or two for small tours / testing. Considering there are like a million tiers now figured something has caught your eye.

Ayyyyyyyy! Gee showed me this, and I had to come back and say congratz broski! You definitely deserve it :]

Onto some obligatory questions that I haven't already interrogated you with:
1. Where do you find inspiration to create your genius sets?

2. Explanation of this quote pls:
"ArchPhantom: I love Cresselia
ArchPhantom: its so fat and pink"

3. On a scale of 1-10, how often is your solution to a teambuilding weakness, "Eh, I'll just twave it"?

4. This isn't a question, but more of an appreciation post. Speaking for Gee and myself, we've learnt a ton from you and love the way you always challenge the norms of our "standard teams". Keep it up man :]

Ok serious questions now.

I asked Vertex the other day but I want to make sure I'm not the only one cause no one has really spoken up or mentioned anything of the sorts, maybe I'm being delusional. Am I the only one that thinks Hippowdon has gotten worse? What's your thoughts on that?

Tbh I think Hippo is slightly worse but not to the point where it needs to be looked at. Not yet anyways.

I see you once in a blue mon graze the ranking thread what's some of the lower rank mons you think should move around if you're into all that? Everytime people talk about we read tons of theorymon and shit, granted that's the nature of the thread, so your thoughts on that?

Don't really have an opinion on the lower rank mons. I think the theorymon is eh; if someone feels strongly about a mon going up or down a rank, they need to not only give sound reasoning but also some type of evidence to support there noms be it replays stats etc. less theoretical more practical is bueno

Leftiez and I were talking about your match with him the other day for OST awhile back. That last turn where game 3 was about to be decided on whoever picked that right play, what was going through your mind whether or not to click Bullet Punch or Roost on M-Scizor? I believe that was the scenario you were in iirc but I remember the smogtours chat just anxiously waiting for that final moment. Such good matches to watch and the Twave Latios was clutch.

That was a very intense and very real 50/50. I don't remember what exactly happened but I do recall forcing myself to believe he would stay in haha. They really were good matches, wish I had the replays :[

Guys like you and myself use a ton of wild shit all the time to win games. I sort of know the answer or have my own philosophy to this but when and if a new guy comes to you how do you respond in establishing where to draw the line of innovation / consistency? Figured I asked since new guys read these and it's nice to see perspective

innovation that: "-increases the odds of you winning a game when pulled off, and -doesn't increase the odds of you losing it if it fails" is sorta a general way of how I see where the line of innovation / consistency is drawn. I think I'd tell the new player to start off with consistent options because they'll learn how the 'standard' game is played and absorb all the playstyles and patterns seen therein. But that's not to say they shouldn't innovate along the way; I would encourage the use of non standard, original stuff too so the player can evaluate everything by their own experiences. I think having a balance of innovation and consistency is what makes a good player great.

Any interest in others tiers? I'm really focused on OU but like to sort of lurk UU related stuff or play games or two for small tours / testing. Considering there are like a million tiers now figured something has caught your eye.

Yeah UU looks p cool. It used to be my thing in XY and I wouldn't mind getting back into it. Ubers also looks p cool with dem threats on threats. Definitely two tiers that caught my eye. When will I seriously try them? Only time will tell,,

Ayyyyyyyy! Gee showed me this, and I had to come back and say congratz broski! You definitely deserve it :]

Onto some obligatory questions that I haven't already interrogated you with:
1. Where do you find inspiration to create your genius sets?

Sometimes the inspiration is random like when scrolling though a mons moveset (when I used Block Metagross vs Aqualouis in OST hehe) and other times it's me wanting to counter or lure a very specific mon, so I'd use whatever moveset enables me to do just that!

2. Explanation of this quote pls:
"ArchPhantom: I love Cresselia
ArchPhantom: its so fat and pink"

I have no recollection of ever typing that LOL

3. On a scale of 1-10, how often is your solution to a teambuilding weakness, "Eh, I'll just twave it"?

Hmm speaking fairly I'd say 2-4. Trust me it's the truth :o

4. This isn't a question, but more of an appreciation post. Speaking for Gee and myself, we've learnt a ton from you and love the way you always challenge the norms of our "standard teams". Keep it up man :]

Hey bro likewise. I have only grown as a builder and battler accompanying y'all and tbh you guys are the ones who challenge me. Stay awesome broski n_n

lord sets win games i agree

2016 nba champions?
mega venusaur = fat fgt y/n
entei @ shed shell | pressure
adamant | 252 atk / 4 def / 252 spe
sacred fire | extremespeed | stone edge | hidden power grass
celebi @ weakness policy | natural cure
calm | 248 hp / 108 def / 152 sdef
giga drain | baton pass | recover | stealth rock
tyranitar @ tyranitarite
adamant | 252 atk / 4 def / 252 spe
stone edge | pursuit | low kick | rock polish
goth ban !
you think talonflame is stupidest 'mon too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)