XY OU OU Rain Team RMT

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the Pokemon meta-game and so I'm sorry if I'm unable to explain why my team works properly, but hopefully I can make some of you chuckle with my incompetency of team building. Anyway here is the team:

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Trick

Rotom-W provides momentum with volt Switch, and has a STAB that helps balance the team type wise. On top of this Thunder gets a increase in accuracy due to the rain from Politoed's Drizzle ability. Maybe more notable about the Volt Switch is the ability to bring in rain without losing a turn. Rotom-W is extra good for the team with its water typing and great STAB in Hydro Pump.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Azumarill is a powerful sweeper that is great type wise and can handle a number of threats including dragon types and strong fire types. With the move Superpower Azumarill can OHKO even some steel types that threaten it. On top of the vast move pool the rain increases the power of azumarill's STAB Aqua Jet. Belly Drum also makes Azumarill extra terrifying with the vast increase in Atk.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Venusaur is my mega slot and he benefits from the rain because it helps him cover his fire weakness on top of the Thick Fat ability thus making him almost immune to one of his four weakness. Venusaur also adds diversity by nature of his typing and can break down fairy types. With his grass typing he also presents a strong deterrent to opposing water types in the rain.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast

Volcarona is a great addition to the team because it is a great fire type for a rain team as it gets the move Hurricane which gets an increase of accuracy making it so it can't miss in the rain and outside of rain it gives the team a balanced type pool with Fire Blast, and Can hit through Substitute with Bug Buzz. Flame Body also gives a chance of burn with contact moves.

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Hypnosis

Politoed is a great rain setter, and possibly the best in OU due to its ability Drizzle, and with access to moves such as Toxic, and Scald Politoed can really aid the team. Toxic really helps remove threats with the heavy turn by turn damage. Scald adds another status and is also a strong STAB for Politoed in the rain. With Hypnosis Politoed also can add a sleep status, adds diversity with Ice Beam.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is an excellent wall and is a physical hitter that is immune to to poison and resistant to electric and grass type moves which are Azumarills only weak points type wise and azumarill also covers his weak points Fire and Fighting. They also balance each other when it comes down to Azumarill being a sweeper and Ferrothorn being a wall. He can also provide Stealth Rocks which can help keep Mega Charizard Y at bay and keep rain up.

Anyway any tips or advice would be nice! I have noticed my team lacks a dragon type, and a Spinner/ Defoger

Last edited:
Hi gigatortle ! You need at least three lines of description for each pokemon.
Here are my suggestions :

Why don't you replace Azumarill with Kingdra ? The new crit mechanics of XY greatly benefited Kingdra or as it's more popularly called now CritDra.
The Set :

Kingdra @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Energy
- Agility

Kingdra @ Scope Lens
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Energy
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I posted two sets which both benefit from the team. Let me start with the first set:

Set 1:

With the new critical hit mechanics, if you use Focus Energy and a Scope Lens together, your moves are always critical hits. This combined with the ability Sniper which increase the power of critical hits from 150% to 225% (OMG right !). Therefore, you can use Draco Meteor 2 times with no big change. If you instead use Hydro Pump, the power will increase due to rain and due to the Sniper + Focus Energy + Scope Lens (Mega powerful). Agility is for chances to increase it's speed when you know the opponent is going to switch, so I recommend you switch to Kingdra on a Fire type.

Set 2:

This one is almost the same as the first one with two big differences, one being no Sniper and the other being Swift Swim. This results in not being able to use Draco Meteor twice but doubles your speed due to Swift Swim therefore, almost always going first using Hydro Pump, kill the opposing poke and repeat.

I hope this helps you !

I would like swift Swim Kingdra over Sniper, but the damage seems worth the loss of speed, but I don't think Azumarill is the poke to replace. Azumarill seems to be my only Physical Sweeper and putting Kingdra on the team I'd have Venusaur, Volcarona, and Rotom-Wash as well as Kingdra as SpA. I could possibly replace Venusaur with Kingdra and do Mega Gyarados? Sorry about the lack of three lines on the descriptions I fixed it thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
Your team doesn't seem to take advantage of rain support provided by Politoed. Your core of Politoed, Ferrothorn, and Azumarill is good, but you failed to adequately support them with top tier offensive threats. I suggest replacing Rotom-W and Volcarona with Kabutops and Latios. Kabutops is an elite rain abusing sweeper. Latios provides useful electric, grass, and fighting resistances. Latios checks Pokemon that can disrupt rain offense, like M-Venusaur, Garchomp, Rotom-W, and Breloom. Latios can also come in punch a few holes in the opposing team and then provide Kabutops with an opportunity to set up with Memento. Hidden Power Fighting on Latios is there to hit Tyranitar and Bisharp, who are two of its biggest checks. Latios 2HKOes Ttar, and OHKOes Bisharp with HP Fighting. Psychic does more damage than Psyshock and is worth using over Psyshock since this team should have no problem dealing with special walls because of BD Azumarill and Kabutops. You could also use Mega Manetric over M-Venusaur if you want to break down more threats that Latios can't handle like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Greninja, Thundurus, and Scizor. It can also check bird spam. Good luck with the team n_n.
Kabutops @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant nature
- Swords Dance / Rapid Spin
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Low Kick

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spa / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Memento

Manectric (M) @ Manectite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Spa / 240 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flamethrower

Last edited:
That advice is really helpful as it balances the teams spa and atk. Also since this is a rain team should I do thunder over thundershock?

That advice is really helpful as it balances the teams spa and atk. Also since this is a rain team should I do thunder over thundershock?
You could but Rain won't be up forever. I would stick with Thunderbolt since you don't wanna risk 50% accuracy against Mega Charizard Y.

I would suggest you change Rotom-W to latios

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Defog

Draco Meteor is a nice STAB move that allows you to cripple most mons in the game, while defog allows your team to remove hazards, and psyshock still provides psychic STAB while being able to hit special walls that switch in on you. Surf can be used to counter heatran/excadrill and gets a nice boost in the rain, while thunderbolt covers skarmory and bulky water types. 0 attack Ivs allow you to take less damage from foul play. I would agree with Rob who posted above suggesting you replace volcarona with kabutops. Kabutops can abuse swift swim kabutops, as volcarona is not very good in the rain, having its fire STAB halved and water moves that already hit it for 2x damage are doubled once again. I would also consider switching out hp fire on venusaur, because it has barely any power in the rain, and doesn't even 3HKO the mixed defense variant of ferrothorn in the rain.

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
Hi, cool rain team you have there!
I would recommend SD Mega Scizor over Ferrothorn. Although Ferrothorn is nice in rain, it does not do much offensively for your team, while mega Scizor gives you a wincon with Bullet Punch sweeps. His only 4x weakness is weakened in the rain, so it is very easy to set up a SD in the rain with mega Scizor's great bulk.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

However now the problem is you need to replace mega Venue. I would suggest Swift Swim Sweeper Kabutops, as he reliably beats Talonflame under rain with Aqua jet, while he can also offer hazard removal with Rapid Spin.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet

For Volcarona, I would go with Rob's suggestion of Latios.
Good luck with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)