XY OU OU rain.

I've been running rain teams for years now, every generation I make a new one, however a lot has changed and most of the staples aren't really used much anymore. I'm doing pretty decent on showdown, but no where as well as I was during B/W days. Feel free to suggest changes, even for my mega. I mainly want to keep Ludicolo, Politoed and Latias though.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

For someone with somewhat mediocre stats he really is great. I couldn't ask for better coverage and Focus blast does 75% to ferrothorn and is immune to leech seed. He is fast, hard hitting and often the source of more knock outs than anyone else on my team. He is deceptively good at taking special attacks, which I've noticed a lot of people make dumb game throwing mistakes over. He is my Special Sweeper.

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Encore

Rain set up, the team isn't very reliant on rain, so he is all that's needed. Encore baits let me switch out safely and I often use it to set up Swords dance. He also survives talonflames brave bird and other pokemon that can be problematic. Do not want faster spread because taunt. He is so much more than just a support, and can take a few out in a good matchup.

Salamance Life Orb
Ability: Moxxie
EVs: 4 Spa / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw

Earthquake because my team has only one electric resistance.
Fire blast still hits like a truck under rain against skarmory and ferrathorn, and if I'm versing a heavy steel wall team I just simply don't put politoed out until I've taken care of them. Outrage + Moxxie are good, once the walls are down I can sweep 2 pokemon with it usually. His role is basically the mixed wall breaker.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 defense
- Defog
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch

Changed to defog, is working nicely. Knock off against switch ins, usually rotate a lot between him and latias in stall teams. If I play the team right I can end up knocking off 2-3 items and defog lets me switch politoed and ludicolo in easier.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Because I run two dragons, I needed a switch in as there are dragons that are faster than the two I run. Aqua jet works nice under rain, Superpower to help against switch ins. Able to take electric hits because of the vest. Not sure how I feel about three pokemon with a water typing, but there aren't really any other good physical fairy types I've seen and I love the moveset.

Latias (F) Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Toxic
- Roost
- Psyshock

Multipurpose. Aggresive while in rain, staller when I hit a problem Pokemon. Special wall that can also hit like a train. Toxic is to get over pokemon my Scizor might have problem with. If scizor can't handle them and latias can't handle them salamance can. The team is starting to work well and the synergy is improving the more I tweak and add.

Last edited:
Hiya! I think this team is pretty nice, and I have some suggestions:
  • To alleviate some of the struggles that your team faces, I would suggest running a Mixed Kyurem-B set (maybe replace it with Garchomp?)
    Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Atk / 56 SpA / 200 Spe
    Lonely Nature
    - Dragon Claw
    - Fusion Bolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Iron Head
    This set uses Kyurem-B's immense mixed attacking potential and maximizes it to deal great damage. Life Orb is used to maximize damage output, and the EVs are more physically-based in order to at least 2HKO every Clefable variant (Lonely is also for this reason for this.) Dragon Claw is a great spammable STAB, and Fusion Bolt is a great move that OHKO's Mega Pidgeot and 2HKO's most Skarmory variants. Ice Beam is for Physically Defensive Skarmory and is a great secondary coverage STAB. Finally, Dragon Claw will 2HKO Blissey. Although most of these are 2HKO's, Kyurem-B can sweep through teams relatively well and deal out some heavy damage to your threats.
  • You're missing EVs and a Nature for Scizor, so I would use a 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 SpD spread with an Impish nature, relative to the set you are running.
  • I would be certain to switch the HP EVs and put them into Special Defense on Ludicolo. This will reduce hazard damage.
Otherwise, your team seems pretty OK! As a final thought, make sure all of your specially-oriented Pokemon have 0 IVs in Attack in order to reduce damage from confusion and moves like Foul Play.
Good luck on your team! =)

davidTheMaster

TheMasterMind
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey dude such as i see than you've a politoed offensive i you advice this spread for Politoed 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe

84 evs let Politoed outspeed everything up to uninvested base 80 base stat

• To alleviate some of the struggles that your team faces, I would suggest running a Mixed Kyurem-B set (maybe replace it with Garchomp?)
    Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
    Lonely Nature
    - Dragon Claw
    - Fusion Bolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Iron Head
    This set uses Kyurem-B's immense mixed attacking potential and maximizes it to deal great damage. Life Orb is used to maximize damage output, and the EVs are more physically-based in order to at least 2HKO every Clefable variant (Lonely is also for this reason for this.) Dragon Claw is a great spammable STAB, and Fusion Bolt is a great move that OHKO's Mega Pidgeot and 2HKO's most Skarmory variants. Ice Beam is for Physically Defensive Skarmory and is a great secondary coverage STAB. Finally, Dragon Claw will 2HKO Blissey. Although most of these are 2HKO's, Kyurem-B can sweep through teams relatively well and deal out some heavy damage to your threats.
  • You're missing EVs and a Nature for Scizor, so I would use a 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 SpD spread with an Impish nature, relative to the set you are running.
  • I would be certain to switch the HP EVs and put them into Special Defense on Ludicolo. This will reduce hazard damage.
Otherwise, your team seems pretty OK! As a final thought, make sure all of your specially-oriented Pokemon have 0 IVs in Attack in order to reduce damage from confusion and moves like Foul Play.
I'll give him a try
    Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
    Lonely Nature
    - Dragon Claw
    - Fusion Bolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Iron Head
Thanks, he seems to work decently but toxic/heal blissey is still sort of an issue, dragon claw with lifeorb does 51% min.

This might be a little irreleveant since you have this tagged under xy ou, but mega swampert is a monster in the rain if you want to try him.

I'll give him a try

Thanks, he seems to work decently but toxic/heal blissey is still sort of an issue, dragon claw with lifeorb does 51% min.
I run Sub @ Leftovers w/: Outrage, Ice beam, Fusion bolt. 56 HP 80 Attack 216 Speed rest in sp.Atk. Destroys stall, shuts down non-scarfed Rotom, the blobs, Skarmory ( can phaze) and puts in work.

Nah, nothing anyone is suggesting is helping against bliss skarm or a team focused around switching. Just nothing I can do against them.

Nah, nothing anyone is suggesting is helping against bliss skarm or a team focused around switching. Just nothing I can do against them.
Well, Taunt is usually the best counter to skarmbliss so maybe even try a fast Taunt attacker like Gengar?
Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
Of course the hex set is applicable and it may not solidly counter then but it may help.

Substitute+Outrage Kyurem B smashes Skarmbliss. ICE beam + Fusion bolt decimate Megasaur and Togekiss while 2HKO Skarm. Outrage secures an easy 2HKO on defensive Rotom-W and makes short work of blissey who cannot do much in return

Substitute+Outrage Kyurem B smashes Skarmbliss. ICE beam + Fusion bolt decimate Megasaur and Togekiss while 2HKO Skarm. Outrage secures an easy 2HKO on defensive Rotom-W and makes short work of blissey who cannot do much in return
Okay, i'll try that.

I'm using a defensive defog build on Scizor now.

I put Toxic on Latias, as I've noticed this team forces a lot of switches, if I can't break through with rain then knock off + toxic with roost + defog should help against walls. I rarely use thunder as it is anyway.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)