OU RMT- mix

This is my latest OU team and its doing pretty well. I've been testing it and it gets me to about 1300 CRE but from then on I find it difficult to push any higher. I'm going to talk you through the dynamics of the team now and any advice would be well appreciated.

Team Overview

There they are at a glance

DETAILS

Swampert@Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs 252 HP/ 4 Atk / 252 Def
Nature: Relaxed

- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Protect

Comments:
Its the tried and trusted lead Pert. I couldn't find a lead that suited me for ages until I found this bad boy. What I like most about him is the fact that he usually stays around late game too. Other leads I find too frail whereas Swampert can be effective late game as well. Protect is incredibly useful when scouting trick users and if I find something like a lead Azelf trying to trick a scarf on to Swampert I just bring in Rotom to bounce back a shadow ball or possibly a thunderbolt if I want to hit the switch. I also find him to be very useful when dealing with Salamence and Flygon. Ice Beam one hit KO's all of them and he's able to take their hits very easily is Pert. He also hit most common leads super effectively which is a great help eg. Metagross, Aerodactyl. I really find him a great part of the team and quite essential.

Heatran@Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Evs 4 Atk / 252 Speed/ 252 SpAtk
Nature: Naive

-Fire Blast
-HP Ice
-Explosion
-Earth Power

Comments:
I'm sure no one is new to this set. Its a great revenge killer and can switch in on numerous attack including the grass ones aimed at Swampert and the shadow balls aimed at Rotom not to mention the fire attacks aimed at Breloom and Skarm. Once its in it hits anything hard. Takes care of steel types nicely I find and thats a great help. Really not much explaining needed to do as it works into this team quite nicely and takes care of so much common OU threats.

Rotom-h@Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs 4 HP/ 252 Speed/ 252 SpAtk
Nature: Modest

-Trick
-Overheat
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball

Comments:
Its my only Pokemon with an electric attack so its essential. Deals with DDing Gyra very well and thats important. Trick is a god send and often saves me in sticky situations. Its very satisfying crippling a Blissey with trick. It just seems to work very well coming in for free on an Earthquake and then getting a free hit at something. Also grants a great immunity to fighting moves which I find very helpful. Also rapid spin blocker.

Skarmory@Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
Evs 252 HP/ 64 Atk/ 176 Def/ 16 Speed
Nature: Impish

-Brave Bird
-Spikes
-Whirlwind
-Roost

Comments:
Skarmory is great. Takes attaking hits brilliantly and spikes work really well for this team. Skarm is especially great at breaking things up for me. Thats what I like most about him. If a pokemon uses a status upper move Skarm is in there to whirlwind it out. It breaks up the opponents team that way and baton passing doesnt happen when Skarms around. If I see an electric or fire attack coming my way I'm switching out to Heatran or Swampert respectively.

Breloom@Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs 252 Atk/ 208 Speed/ 48 HP
Nature: Adamant

-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Spore
-Seed Bomb
Comment:
So tricky to deal with he is. Once he gets in behind his substitute its incredibly hard to get him out. Breloom preys on walls and comes in and wrecks havoc. Swamperts, Vaporeons, Bronzongs, Hippowdown. Once he's in he's so hard to get out and that Focus Punch hurts anything.

Tyranitar@Expert Belt
Ability: Sand Stream
Evs 156 HP/ 100 Atk/ 192 Speed/ 60 SpAtk

-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Stone edge
-Flamethrower

Comment:
I spent ages searching for the Tyranitar set that would suit me and this is most definitely the one. Pursuit for the Rotom forms and Crunch for Latias who used to cause me all sorts of problems. I love faking a choiced set and then flamethrowering the incoming Scizor and overall this Tyranitar really helps in killing things off. Would like to have earthquake but find having Crunch and Pursuit is quite important.

Problems: The main problems I have found with this team is dealing with Machamp. It seems to blitz my whole team and it takes a lot to get it out. Entry Hazards can sometime be quite troublesome but I can usually move pass that. Basically any opinions or advice would be really appreciated in this thread and any problems with my team feel free to speak up.

Well through experience I've seen stone edge on breloom a lot more useful than seedbomb. It hits Gyrados, Latias, and Salamence hard. Everything weak to seed bomb gets hit neutrally to focus punch, so coverage there isnt a big problem.

To deal with Machamp you can make your rotom bulky and give it will-o-wisp. That will definitely stop him dead in his tracks

Well through experience I've seen stone edge on breloom a lot more useful than seedbomb. It hits Gyrados, Latias, and Salamence hard. Everything weak to seed bomb gets hit neutrally to focus punch, so coverage there isnt a big problem.

To deal with Machamp you can make your rotom bulky and give it will-o-wisp. That will definitely stop him dead in his tracks
I like the idea of making my Rotom bulky thats really smart. As for Stone edge on Breloom I will definitely give it a try and see if its better then Seed Bomb.

Wait actually I've just come up with a problem with Bulky Rotom dealing with Machamp. Once machamp is behind a substitute is tough to deal with and WoW will do nothing. Also they usually carry Lum berry so I would have to WoW it twice :/. usually it would have enough time to KO with payback

Hi. To be honest, I don't see why Rotom-H is Scarfed. The Scarf allows it to check threats such as Gyarados and Lucario. However, you don't need the Scarf to cover Gyarados and you already have your Scarf Heatran keep Lucario at bay. In addition, Scarf Rotom-H is hardly useful as it goes down so easily because of the Pursuit weakness and the choice item making it even more vulnerable to Pursuiters, leaving you without a Gyarados check. Trick support isn't really needed as well since Breloom runs through stall oriented teams with ease. So with all that being said, I would suggest removing the Choice Scarf from Rotom-H and using a defensive version which still counters Gyarados and is a lot less vulnerable to Pursuit since you aren't locked onto the wrong move. Here's the set:

Rotom-H @ Leftovers | Levitate
Bold | 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Thunderbolt | Shadow Ball | Will-o-Wisp | Overheat

Now, the team seems to be Gengar and Starmie weak. LO versions will KO everything with the appropriate move. Apart, from Heatran revenge killing them, which isn't reliable at all; you have no other way of dealing with those two threats. Swampert is 2HKOed by Shadow Ball from Gengar and can't do anything back. Breloom is completely walled by Gengar and cannot take a Shadow Ball which hits Rotom-H for SE damage. Focus Blast disposes of Heatran and Tyranitar while Thunderbolt OHKOes Skarmory.
Starmie KOes Tyranitar, Rotom-H and Heatran with Surf. Ice Beam is enough to beat Breloom and Skarmory is hit by Thunderbolt.

Without resorting to complicated changes, the easiest fix to this problem would be to use a specially bulky CB Tyranitar instead of you current one. Since Rotom-H is no longer Scarfed, you won't have too many choiced Pokemon and the loss of bait TTar won't be significant as Tyranitar's counters are already handled by the team (Scizor for example is completely covered by Heatran and Rotom-H) and stall is covered by Breloom.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band | Sandstream
Careful | 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpDef
Stone Edge | Earthquake | Pursuit | Crunch

With that EV spread, TTar always survives a Timid LO Gengar Focus Blast which means that you will be able to take on special attackers such as Gengar and Starmie. It will provide a better check to threats like Latias and Jolteon with HP Grass.

Well, that's my rate. Your team is very solid imo. I'd use Dragon Pulse instead of HP Ice on Heatran tbh. Good luck.

Hi. To be honest, I don't see why Rotom-H is Scarfed. The Scarf allows it to check threats such as Gyarados and Lucario. However, you don't need the Scarf to cover Gyarados and you already have your Scarf Heatran keep Lucario at bay. In addition, Scarf Rotom-H is hardly useful as it goes down so easily because of the Pursuit weakness and the choice item making it even more vulnerable to Pursuiters, leaving you without a Gyarados check. Trick support isn't really needed as well since Breloom runs through stall oriented teams with ease. So with all that being said, I would suggest removing the Choice Scarf from Rotom-H and using a defensive version which still counters Gyarados and is a lot less vulnerable to Pursuit since you aren't locked onto the wrong move. Here's the set:

Rotom-H @ Leftovers | Levitate
Bold | 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Thunderbolt | Shadow Ball | Will-o-Wisp | Overheat

Now, the team seems to be Gengar and Starmie weak. LO versions will KO everything with the appropriate move. Apart, from Heatran revenge killing them, which isn't reliable at all; you have no other way of dealing with those two threats. Swampert is 2HKOed by Shadow Ball from Gengar and can't do anything back. Breloom is completely walled by Gengar and cannot take a Shadow Ball which hits Rotom-H for SE damage. Focus Blast disposes of Heatran and Tyranitar while Thunderbolt OHKOes Skarmory.
Starmie KOes Tyranitar, Rotom-H and Heatran with Surf. Ice Beam is enough to beat Breloom and Skarmory is hit by Thunderbolt.

Without resorting to complicated changes, the easiest fix to this problem would be to use a specially bulky CB Tyranitar instead of you current one. Since Rotom-H is no longer Scarfed, you won't have too many choiced Pokemon and the loss of bait TTar won't be significant as Tyranitar's counters are already handled by the team (Scizor for example is completely covered by Heatran and Rotom-H) and stall is covered by Breloom.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band | Sandstream
Careful | 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpDef
Stone Edge | Earthquake | Pursuit | Crunch

With that EV spread, TTar always survives a Timid LO Gengar Focus Blast which means that you will be able to take on special attackers such as Gengar and Starmie. It will provide a better check to threats like Latias and Jolteon with HP Grass.

Well, that's my rate. Your team is very solid imo. I'd use Dragon Pulse instead of HP Ice on Heatran tbh. Good luck.
Thanks a lot for that. Really good rate and I appreciate the amount of detail you went into. I definitely like the idea about bulky Rotom and I had been having problems with Gengar as well so this is really helpful. I'll definitely try out the new spreads and see how it goes at least. Not too sure about CB tyranitar though but it defo makes more sense when I take the scarf off rotom. thanks for the rate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)