OU, SS-ish Team

So, if you look at my post count and all of that good stuff, you see that I'm new. Duh.

To be honest, I'm just starting to get into competition and such, although I've been a quick study on a lot of the mechanics and have had help from a friend who's ingrained himself into the world of WiFi battling. I'm new, not inept. xD

Anyways, this is my first team, and right now it's performing pretty well, as far as I've seen, in both my friend's hands and my own. Without further ado, here is the squad...

Team Building Process:

1. I knew from the beginning I wanted a team with Tyranitar. Sand Stream would obviously be key, and with his tank-ish qualities he's still the beast he's always been. Weather is big, of course, and Tyranitar gives me my own natural force to have the foe deal with. For what it's worth, it also neutralizes Leftovers. Duh.

2. Scizor was a natural choice for the squad. A physical sweeper like him is a must on any team, and the synergy with the Sandstorm definitely helped him make a case, as did the obvious benefits of the amazing Technician STAB Bullet punch. And Bug Bite.

3. Next on my agenda was finding a special sweeper, and sentimentality plus his overall merits brought me to Volcarona and the (in)famous Quiver Dance. The standard set applied, with Hidden power Rock to round it off, and the coverage plus skill set sealed it.

4. Next came a wall, and Ferrothorn stood out for several reasons. I needed Water coverage for 2 of the three pokemon already in here (and Rock coverage on Volcarona), and a Stealth Rock setter. Ferrothorn solved both those issues. His potency as an attacker helped too.

5. Because one Grass-type wasn't enough. No, actually, Virizion makes a great special wall, and a Calm Mind set works both ways for him. The addition of a status threat (by giving him Toxic) and two very nice STAB attacks make him worthwhile on this squad.

6. And to round out the team... more sweeping. Thundurus makes a great Nasty Plot sweeper, and his speed is also a weapon, striking before a timid Choice Specs Latios among other threats. He also holds Taunt to disrupt setups by the opponent.

7. After a bit of testing, it was found that Ferrothorn wasn't as heavily required as I first thought, and definitely not as important as his replacement, Tentacruel. His role is obvious: Spinner and Toxic Spikes setup, and he's got SpD bulk and Fire coverage to boot, great for switching out of Scizor.

8. The next change came at the expense of Volcarona, one of two special sweepers on the team. He just wasn't getting involved like the rest of the team, and as such he came out for a much-needed physical wall. After a lot of pondering (and one very random Magnezone test), Gliscor emerged, not just with his physical bulk but with the stalling power of a Sub set. He balances the team nicely, and has quickly gained sentimental value with me for his potency and general awesomeness.

9. The most recent change, and the reason for the bumpage, is exchanging Grass legendaries. Out with Virizion, and in with Celebi. The reasoning for this is simple: I needed a Grass type, but a pokemon more offensively oriented, and one that set up quicker. The solution came in the form of Celebi, who can really ream with a Nasty plot set. The Fighting resistance is also great to have, and as such Celebi is the newest member of the squad.

A bit more in-depth:

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
Nature: Careful
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 214 SpD / 44 Spe
-Crunch
-Ice Beam
-Fire Punch
-Dragon Tail

A set that my friend all but forced me to run. The strategy is simple: coverage coverage coverage. Crunch, his only STAB move in this set, will hit Reunicluses (Reunicli?) and Gengars, while Ice Beam screws over pokemon like Garchomp and Gliscor. Fire Punch nails Scizor and Excadrill, and to finish the moveset off, Dragon Tail phazes boosted pokemon and basically anything giving him trouble. The 44 Speed EVs let him outspeedAdamant, 4 Spe EV'd Scizor... and then OHKO him.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Bug Bite
-Swords Dance
-Superpower
-Bullet Punch

Basically an all-out offensive. Swords Dance + Life Orb + Technician makes Bullet Punch murder on basically anything, especially with that lovely thing called priority. Bug Bite also fits the above bill, and Superpower is just epic with SD, especially to take on Blissey or Ferrothorn. Nothing too special about the set. Just boost and enjoy/kill.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
-Substitute
-Earthquake
-Fling
-Acrobatics

I will say this right now: This set is really quite fun. Substitute is always great with Gliscor, and with Poison Heal it's just made better. Earthquake is STAB of course, and then there's the Fling + Acro combo. Fling will end up giving the opponent some nasty poisoning, and also frees up Gliscor for a boosted Acrobatics, with STAB. The ensuing poisoning from Fling also combos well with Tyranitar's Sand Stream, especially if the opposing pokemon doesn't have a Leftovers-type item. As for the EVs and Nature, the Speed is there to make sure he gets his stuff in first, basically. I might experiment with trying an investment in Atk instead, but he's worked wonders so far.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Nature: Calm
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 64 D /176 Sp D / 18 Spe
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Surf
-Venoshock

Ah yes, the spinner. Tentacruel is just the pokemon for this job, as he can spin and set up an entry hazard in Toxic Spikes. Venoshock combos well with Toxic Spikes or after a Gliscor Fling, and has STAB, while Surf is another valuable, very powerful STAB attack that drowns a number of pokemon that could seriously hurt, say, Tyranitar or Gliscor. The EVs and Calm nature provide extra bulk to keep him alive, always a good thing.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Nature: Modest
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Nasty Plot
-Giga Drain
-Recover
-Hidden Power Fire

Yep, not the most drastic change, Virizion to Celebi. This set is very potent, though, and quick to set up. And god help the person who thinks that this is a defensive Celebi and goes into a Rest. Nasty plot sets up quickly, and with the maximizing Nature/EVs the power is definitely there. Giga Drain is a great STAB attack and recovers Hp well, as does Recover (which I may ponder switching for a third attack). Leftovers provides more recovery, which obviously may be needed after setting up. Hidden power Fire hits Ferrothorn and Scizor hard, and helps with coverage overall. Celebi's natural bulk makes her an all-around great addition.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Nasty Plot
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice
-Taunt

Nasty Plot with priority? Hell yes, I'll take that. Just one of that can set up Thunderbolt, his big STAB attack, for some... fantastic results (Had to resist the numerous puns available to me there). He can serve as a great lead if Tyranitar isn't a good option for the role, and with Taunt Thundurus stops setups... although he can't exactly take a hit very well. Hidden Power Ice rounds out the set for coverage, and also goes with the Sp. Sweeper moniker obviously.

----------------------------------
So... closing statements...

I do hope that this, being my first real foray into competition, is a good and fun looking team, it's definitely played that way thus far.

Also, this took me freaking forever to type up. I'm proud of myself just for going through all of this to get it up. xD

Anyways, thanks for reading, and any feedback, as long as it isn't any insipid trolling or insulting, is appreciated.

Bumpity bump. (Three days after posting, by the way.)

Celebi has replaced Virizion.

Gliscor is still epic.

I missed three straight 100 accuracy attacks on a Garchomp because of my own Sandstorm... and still took him down thanks to Gliscor's Toxic Orb Fling. xD

I'd put bug bite over uturn if you are going swords dance, it gets technician boosted and uturning out when you have +2 attack is probably bad for your sweep attempt. If you are a huge fan of uturn though I would consider choice band

I'd put bug bite over uturn if you are going swords dance, it gets technician boosted and uturning out when you have +2 attack is probably bad for your sweep attempt. If you are a huge fan of uturn though I would consider choice band
This is true. The change of Bug Bite > U-Turn will be made about 30 seconds after I post this reply. xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)