1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

OU Stall Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by ForTheShuckles, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ForTheShuckles

ForTheShuckles

Hey everyone, I created this stall team with the purpose to basically set up hazards then have my team keep each other alive throughout the battle.
    The team looks like this:

Jellicent @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SAtk
    Calm Nature
    - Recover
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Water Spout
    - Ice Beam
    Purpose: Jellicents purpose here is to cripple all physical attackers with will-o-wisp whenever it has the chance and spin block so my hazards can stay out and deal more damage to the opposing team. Also, Jellicent and Ferrothorn cover each other perfectly and can keep each other alive for a very long time. Water Spout is there to dish out a lot of damage, Ice beam for coverage and Recover to make sure Water spout does more damage and to keep it alive.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
    Impish Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Power Whip
    - Toxic
    - Protect
    Purpose: Ferrothorn's purpose here not only covers jellicent but its also the physical defensive tank of the team. Also, if its adversary isn't a fighting or a fire type, this Ferrothorn set is a bitch to deal with. With the use of leech seed and toxic ferrothorn gets plenty of health back while you can toxic stall with protect. This set is the definition of stalling.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 200 HP / 200 Def / 100 Atk / 8 SAtk
    Lax Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn
    Purpose: I usually lead with Lando-T, He gets stealth rocks up easy and usually checks the weather starters that I see often. This particular set is suppose to stop most physical threats that can't hurt Lando-T with super effective moves and he also checks Breloom who can be a problem for ferrothorn and can cover tentacruels ground type weakness. Hidden power ice is to check other Lando-T's.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Rain Dish
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Ice Beam
    - Scald
    Purpose: Tentacruel is here to spin out any hazards which can really hurt stall teams. He also sends out toxic spikes and picks up toxic spikes. This is the one pokemon that can be replaced with a better rapid spinner if there is one.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
    Careful Nature
    - Heal Bell
    - Seismic Toss
    - Wish
    - Protect
    Purpose: Blissey is just a SpA sponge for this team. He also runs heal bell to make sure my stall team can last a lot longer while passing of wishes as well. He is a full support blissey.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Spikes
    - Roost
    - Brave Bird
    - Whirlwind
    Purpose: Skarmory really helps with phasing out pokemon so I never have to worry about a pokemon setting up on my team. He also sends out spikes and has roost to last longer why he phases the other team repetitively.
    P.S This is my first post so I'm not really used to this. Hope you guys enjoy the team! Open to all suggestions.
  2. ForTheShuckles

ForTheShuckles

So far the only pokemon that I've had a problem with is Gengar. Any suggestions?
  3. Superspy

Superspy

Kyurem-B under sub can be a problem as everything on your team gives it ease of set up. Also how can Gengar be a problem when you have Blissey?
    If you want it to be checked why not try ThunderWave on Blissey. Watch out for sub sets though.
  4. Princess Bubblegum

Princess Bubblegum

Ok this isn't a half bad stall team, although it needs some major tweaking first.

First off, Blissey needs more defense, currently, it is eaten alive by the weakest physical attacks, like Scizors Pursuit. At the very least I suggest you use a spread of 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD Calm

this is the difference in defense:

Your current spread: 252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Blissey: 593-698 (83.05 - 97.75%)
    My suggested spread: 252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 284-335 (43.55 - 51.38%)

Considering the nature of this team, I suggest you run just the standard Utility Counter Jellicent on site, Jellicent is mainly a spin blocker on this and water spout is just ineffective. You can consider, the Special Wall set to, although you have Ferrothorn for offensive Starmies, I guess it could be helpful against opposing Keldeos.

Your Landorus-T set needs major tweaking, I am not even sure what your evs do. Just run 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk honestly, at the very least you could just the online suggested 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def Brave to take hits from Terrakions till well but have an offensive punch, (Brave to not lower special attack). I don't really see the point of Hidden Power Ice on Landorus-T honestly here, as Skarmory walls Landorus-T pretty reliably, I suggest you just run Stone Edge instead. (and with it an Impish or Adamant nature)

I also highly suggest you find a place for Toxic on Blissey, Tentacruel, or Jellicent, as currently you have no way of really attacking Pokemon like Volcarona, Keldeo without praying you get 2 layers of Toxic Spikes up, otherwise they sweep you, it also will help a ton against Latias.

Also, I suggest you run Gyro-Ball on Ferrothorn to check a variety of Dragon-types, namely Kyurem-B.

Your team still has some weaknesses, mainly special: Reuniclus and Nasty-Plot Thundurus pretty much steamroll this team, and at the moment, you have pretty much no way of dealing with Venusaur. I think a big problem with this team is redundancy for the most part, Jellicent and Tentacruel pretty much provide the same defensive syngery, as do Skarm and Ferrothorn.

I think the easiest fix for this team is to simply turn it into a rain stall team with Defensive Politoed, found on site, over Jellicent. Politoed makes Tentacruel much more effective, checks Gengar (and allows Tentacruel t0), and also checks CM-Reuniclus with Perish Song, overall just patching the team up much better. I would consider a specially defensive version of Politoed, to check CM-Reunuiclus better. You may also want to test out a defensive grass type over Ferrothorn, like Amoongus, Celebi, or Roserade, which will help check Thundurus and Keldeo much better for this team.

If you don't turn this into a rain stall team though, you still need a way to deal with Venusaur which really does sweep with team, consider then Flamethrower on Blissey to check it.

Good luck man.
  5. VN.

VN. the birds pt. 1
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Hey man, you have a cool team here, I know a bit about gen 5 stall so I'll help you out,

I think this is a pretty good team, but it could do with some changes, I think the first of which is to change Jellicent to the standard set, being 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spe with a Bold Nature, Jellicent already has a very high SpDef, and the virtue of its typing makes it much better as a physical wall, as it beats strong physical threats like Scizor, Lucario [w/o Crunch], etc, which stall isn't too great at covering otherwise, also, Scald and Taunt are much better on Jellicent. Scald remains consistently powerful where Water Spout doesn't and Ice Beam isn't that necessary, as you already have dragons checked for the most part, plus the standard Taunt is much better on Jellicent, it allows you to act as a mini stallbreaker, shutting down Chansey/Blissey, and beating annoying pokemon like Ferrothorn and Forretress with the combination of Taunt and Will-O-Wisp. Another change I think you should make is to try out a Hippowdon over your Landorus-T, for one thing it gives you weather of your own to combat sun, rain and hail, and also makes your team a lot less against SubCalm Mind Jirachi, who can prove very annoying for you in the rain, as Landorus-T fears a water pulse or even a psychic and is battered down really easily, allowing Jirachi to set up on and possibly beat the rest of team [yes it can get by Blissey]. Hippowdon does most of the stuff that Landorus-T can do, but gives you your own weather and is much more dependable to stop other threats without having to rely on Wish, I reccomend a SpDef set because it still beats what physical threats it needs to, including Jirachi [and is a decent answer to a tooon of other special threats [its also an answer to non-painsplit if Gengar doesn't get any SpDef drops, and between SpD Hippo and Blissey, it won't be a problem for you anymore] but you can always go for a more physically biased set with a mix of the defenses. Overall I just think Hippowdon is the superior option for this team and can give a 2nd answer to a bunch of different stuff, as well as giving your own weather. Last change I suggest to make is a Starmie over Tentacruel, Starmie is probably the best rapid spinner and one of the best Pokemon in this current meta, and also functions as a mini revenge killer for this team, as stuff like Terrakion, NP Thundurus T, Tornadus and other stuff can sometimes get out of hand, so it's nice to have a small security blanket if they do. Starmie also offers another means of beating Keldeo, just in case it's able to get by Jellicent, the Surf/Psyshock set is what i'll reccomend for this purpose and in my opinion at least, is the best option for defensive starmies today. Final 2 changes are simple but I definitely reccomend you put them, most of all, put Gyro Ball on Ferrothorn over Toxic, allows you to counter Kyurem-B, which is great since most stall teams can't do that, and put Toxic>Heal Bell on Blissey, it's way more useful since you can avoid status by playing smart and abusing natural cure on Blissey to take status for the team, anyways Toxic hits lots of stuff on the switch, butting them on a timer, and stops CM/NP/QD pokemon [bar Reuniclus but hes not that relevant now] from sweeping.

Change Summary:

Ferrothorn:
    Toxic->Gyro Ball

Blissey
    Heal Bell->Toxic

Jellicent:
    Current Spread->248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spe, Bold Nature
    Water Spout->Scald
    Ice Beam>Taunt

[​IMG]

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SDef
    Careful Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Fang
    - Slack Off
    - Roar

[​IMG]

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Surf
    - Psyshock
    - Recover
    - Rapid Spin

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)