[OU] Suicune THE Beast

Hello everybody, first of all, sorry for my bad english ^^.
This is gonna be my first RMT on Smogon, and i decided to base the team around a pokemon i love and i know is very powerfull : Offensif Suicune

Now, i needed something capable of taking Blissey and Snorlax down, two of the bests Suicune counters. With a helpfull Grass resistance and Suicune resisting his Water Weakness i chosed Heatran which is surprising because he is a Special attacker, but i chosed ShucaBerry Heatran capable a lure Blissey and Snorlax and then kill them with explosion

Okay, i'm with a solid combo but now i need something to check Starmie and Gengar which were very annoying. I chosed Tyranitar

I saw now, that i am Breelom weak, which is bad because he is played a lot this time. What's Breelom best counter, that's the question i asked me. The answer was Celebi who is also a good check against Gyarados. Celebi also allow me to have Grass / Water / Fire and maintain my synergie.

Okay, what we can see now is that SD Lucario, NastyApe and AgilyGross are very big thread who can OHKO/2HKO all of these poke. I also needed a Choice-Scarf so my choice was made : Rotom-H is my man. With his very good resistance / immunities, Overheat, and Stabbed Thunderbolt, he helps me a lot against them.

I now needed a Lead who can effectively Stealth Rock against most of commons Lead and why not Taunt them. My choice was of course Azelf because he can do several dammage with Explosion.

But after testing, it turns out that I had really difficulty against Tyranitar, I also had no Rock resist. As suggested in the thread, i chosed ScarfGon over Rotom-H. The weakness to Lucario became important, so I decided to change Celebi's Ev spread to a more offensive one (Thanks to Heist for the suggestion and the Spread)

The Balance is quite good !

Team At a Glance:

In details :

Azelf @Focus Sash
Jolly - 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 6 Hp
Levitate

Taunt

Stealth Rock
Explosion
U-Turn

Azelf, i think you all know his job : Set up Stealth rock, Taunt and Explosion / U-Turn to cause dammage.
I tryed many other version of Azelf lead such as Expert Belt and Scarf but this is in my opinion the best Azelf Lead. I can Stealth Rock against many many Pokemon and Taunt them before they Set up their own Entry-Hazards.

That's what i do against common leads : (Stoled from Berserker Lord's RMT, thank you)

Azelf: I set up SR while he set up his own SR or Taunt me, if i lose the speed tie, I U-Turn to Tyranitar

Infernape: I hate this lead : I switch to Rotom to take the Fake-Out, then i put Azelf again while he set up his SR, then i set up my SR while he Fire Blast me and then i U-turn to my Suicune to take FireBlast and break his Focus Sash and Finally, i switch to Rotom again to take Close Combat and kill him with thunderbolt. It's very complicated but it works quite well

Aerodactyl: U-Turn to Rotom and Thunderbolt in his face

Heatran: I SR because major party of the time, they predict Taunt and go for Fire Blast / Overheat. Then U-turn or Explosion, it depends of the life i have.

Machamp: An annoying Lead because i have nothing in my team to OHKO him. I explode or Stealth Rock, if i think or not that SR will be important in the battle.

Swampert: Taunt, then SR

Crobat: I have nothing to take Hypnosis, so i U-turn to break his Sash and i put my Rotom to thunderbolt this guy

Metagross: Stealth Rock, because like Heatran, they always predict Taunt

Jirachi: I SR to see if he tricks me, if yes i've got Scarf Azelf, if not, they uturn and breaks my Sash, that's a bit annoying but not a big problem

Roserade: Like Heatran and Metagross before, they always predict Taunt so i go for the SR while they leaf storm me and then i taunt while they generally try to put me asleep

Gliscor: He U-Turns so i go for teh SR

Hippowdon: He breaks my Sash with Sandstorm, so i SR Turn 1 and then Taunt.

Tyranitar @ ExpertBelt
Brave - 252 Atk / 176 HPs / 80 SpD
Sand Stream

Stone Edge
Pursuit
Superpower
Flamthrower

This tyranitaris just a beast <3. After trapping Gengar or Starmie, things like Lucario often come in to set up on him, but they don't expect that i m running an expert belt set, then i can just destroy them with SuperPower / Flamthrower or Stone Edge.
The given EVs allows me to take Special Hits like EartPower from Heatran, ThunderBolt from Zapdos which i OHKO with Superpower and Stone Edge respectively. Brave Nature because i don't want to invest EVs in speed and i don't want to have a Defense malus.

Celebi @ Life Orb
Modest - 74 HPs - 252 SpA - 184 Spe
Natural Cure

Leaf Storm
EarthPower
Hidden Power [Fire]
Recover

Well, here is Celebi. He is very important because he really helps me against Lucario. The power of this thing is awesome. Hidden Power Fire is mainly here for Scizor and other's Steel types this Celebi has trouble with.

I changed the Nature for Modest because Jolly Lucario isn't so much used and I think the power Bonus is helpfull.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly - 6 HPs / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Levitate

Outrage
Earthquake
Stone Edge
U-Turn

Here is my RevengeKiller. He really helps me against Tyranitar which was a big problem to my team. U-Turn is really appreciable for Scooting opponent's team.
He gives me a immunity to Electric which is not Bad.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Naif - 6 HPs / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Flash Fire

FireBlast
EarthPower
Hidden Power [Grass]
Explosion

Here is Heatran. Expert Belt Heatran allow me to Lure Blissey, as they think i'm scarf, but no. When Blissey or Snorlax comes out to take the FireBlast, they got Explosion in their faces. Hidden Power Grass allow me to kill Laggron who generaly come into FireBlast (if my opponent hasn't got Blissey/Snorlax). Shuca Berry allows me to take Shaymin's EarthPower and KO in return with FireBlast, Metagross's Earthquake, Opponent's Heatran Earthpower etc. Unfortunately the berry only helps me 1 time so I have to take care to don't wast my berry for nothing.
The EVs Spread is Max speed simply because i want to SpeedTie with other non scarf Heatrans.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Timid - 24 HPs / 252 SpA / 202 Spe
Pressure

CalmMind
Surf
IceBeam
Hidden Power [Electric]

Suicune THE Beast. When Heatran finished his job (Aka Kill Opponent Special Wall), Suicune has to finished the battle. I think i don't have to say how bulky this thing is even with no EVs in Def. Suicune can easily Set Up 1~2 Calm Minds and then sweep the opponent. Hidden Power Electric is of course here for Bulky Water Types like Aquali, opponent's own Suicune or Gyarados.

The given EVs allows him to outspeed Adamant Lucario and the leftovers is put into HP to maximize Bulk and Staying Power.

So that was the team, hope you enjoyed it, and don't forget it's my first RMT here. Also, sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language.

Don't forget to Rate ;D

I'm not a great rater or anything, but just some small things - on Tyranitar, swap Flamethrower out for Earthquake. Tyranitar is obviously stronger on the physical side, and Earthquake is just as strong against Lucario. You might lose out on Scizor, but Heatran can take care of that. This way you can also run either Jolly or Adamant on Ttar, so you don't harm its defenses.

Also, about the way you play Azelf, on stuff like Hippowdon I'd Taunt first, so they can't get SR up, while you can next turn.

And you say Heatran is your main Blissey/Snorlax counter, but I think Ttar's Superpower will do better. On Heatran, you might also want to swap HP Grass for Sub - Heatran behind a Sub can give hell to your opponent (you can explode on problematic bulky waters trying to stop your rampage).

Another OU RMT dedicated to Suicune. I just had to rate this :'D

Overall it looks like a solid team but you do have a slight SubGengar weakness among other Ghost-types. You say Tyranitars' role is to trap and rid you of any Starmie or Gengar variants; yet LO Starmie causes a lot of problems as it can outspeed and OHKO with Hydro Pump, while Gengar also outspeeds and OHKOs with Focus Blast - relying on the accuracy isn't all to reliable too especially if it manages to set up a Substitute, which it could easily pull of on Celebi. Why not just opt for the Choice Scarf set instead?

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Sand Stream
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Super Power
This will allow you to outspeed those notable threats while guaranteeing an OHKO on Gengar, not behind a Substitute, and Starmie as Pursuit is an easy OHKO.

You also seem to have a slight Bulky Water weakness, notably Wish Vaporeon. As Celebis' Grass Knot fails to 2HKO it can capitalize on the lack of Water, Ice-type resists and even Toxic and stall out Suicune ruining your whole attempt to sweep.

I would suggest the TinkerBell variant instead to patch up any Bulky Water weaknesses while also providing Cleric support to everyone, but most importantly to Suicune as it is vital it is at tip top condition if it wants to pull of a sweep; Toxic + Sandstorm will wear it down quickly.

Celebi @ Life Orb
Natural Cure
232 HP / 240 SpA / 36 Spe
Modest
- Thunder Wave
- Leaf Storm
- Heal Bell
- Rest
I know Mono-Grass in OU is piss poor, but your team honestly doesn't have a problem tackling the resists and providing support for Suicune is essential making Heal Bell almost a must. LO Leaf Storm OHKOs Vaporeon, and opposing Suicunes and stands a good chance to OHKO + 1 SpD Suicune.

Also:
Crobat: I have nothing to take Hypnosis, so i U-turn to break his Sash and i put my Rotom to thunderbolt this guy
Now you do. Plus, you always had Celebi to sponge the Hypnosis and send in Heatran on the Brave Bird.

I was going to suggest a 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe Bold defensive variant for Rotom-H with Substitute / Discharge / Will-O-Wisp / Shadow Ball - for Status support easing Suicunes sweeping potential, but as it is your only SD Lucario check I wouldn't change it.
Well, this is a pretty solid team and I'm really enjoying the theme. Good luck c:!

Thank you for your rate =)

More Cowbell

I agree with Earthquake over FlameThrower

For Hippodown the problem is if my opponent predicted Taunt, and send out things like ScarfRotom or even Scarf Ttar, i have to switch / die by pursuit and then no SR ups

Tyranitar does better yes, but when Blissey see a Tyranitar, she will switch and then no superpower. Heatran has the advantage of surprising Blissey who didn't expect Explosion.
I will try for sub over HP grass, but then Blissey will know that i'm a non Scarfed Heatran and then Protect when i m gonna try to explode

Thanks again

wynought :

First thanks for the rate

For Tyranitar : Good idea i will try it too

Then i agree for Bulkys Water Types, but hp grass by tran is here for that reason and as More Cowbell said, i m able to explode if Vaporeon becomes annoying.

For celebi: This set as you said helps my team a lot, but then, i have nothing to counter Breelom, which is one of the first reason Celebi is here.

Ok, to come back to the ''Blissey doesn't expect Explosion''-thing: I guess about 9/10 Heatrans run Explosion, so the surprise is pretty much out there. Sub works wonders, and you can still explode from behind a sub when Blissey comes in.

Also, with Ttar you can Pursuit a Blissey that's going to move out. Since most people assume either a Choiced or DD Ttar, they will expect you're choiced since you didn't Dragon Dance on the obvious switch, after which they bring in something like Lucario, thinking you will switch too. Then you can just pound it into the ground with Earthquake.

Remove Expert Belt from Heatran and replace it with Fightning/Ground/Water resisting Berry.You can still bluff and against offensive teams you can have an extra-life.

I would suggest running a shuca berry on Heatran. It still bluffs choice, and it saves you from being 6-0d by Shaymin.

Threats
Lead Machamp
Dragon Dance Tyranitar/Choice Band Tyranitar
Lack Of Rock- type resist

It seems you have most of the important threats covered (i.e. Swords Dance Lucario, DD Gyarados), so props on that. However, Lead Machamp, which was potentially the #2 lead in August statistics seems like it can damage this team quite a bit; Azelf basically has the choice to set up Stealth Rock and die to a combination of Payback+Bullet Punch, or Explode, without setting up SR, and finally U-turning to another Pokemon, which can't really pose a "huge" threat to Machamp, while they will hate Dynamic Punch (bar Rotom, who dies to Payback). Tyranitar can get an ample set-up opportunity coming in on any of Rotom-H's moves bar Trick. A +1/+1 Tyranitar can rip this team to shreds with just Stone Edge and some prior damage. In fact, all Tyranitar variants such as Choice Band Tyranitar, will annoy your team with unresisted STAB Stone Edge, due to the lack of a Rock- type resist on this team.

Starting with small changes, I suggest you change your Azelf lead to the upcoming set:

Azelf @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

With this, you can get rid of Machamp with a Zen Headbutt, before it lays its hands on Azelf. So you'll be up 6-5, and you'll get a chance later on in the match to set-up the vital SR. Secondly, I think Tyranitar will fare much better with the Choice Scarf set. As mentioned, Tyranitar is one of the biggest threat to your team, outspeeding it and KOing it outright is very important for this team, and you can accomplish this with Choice Scarf Tyranitar.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Sand Stream
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Super Power

Two Choice Scarfers on the same team with similar roles is redundant, this is why you can try a 252 HP/168 Def/88 Spe Rotom-W with a Bold nature and Hydro Pump|Discharge|Shadowball and Will-O-Wisp t. It still counters Gyarados and Metagross, and takes care of Toxic/Taunt Gliscor too, which is a prick to Rotom variants lacking Will-O-Wisp/Hydro Pump.

So now you are weaker to Shaymin than you already were, and we've still got that Rock type resist. A pretty obvious change from my perspective is to replace Celebi with Specially Based Flygon. TBH, I don't see Celebi doing too much for your team, except for taking on Kingdra, which should be *too* hard to handle, since Rotom can take an Outrage and burn it, it also doesn't get too many opportunities to set-up, as every member can pose a threat against it. Sure it sets up on Suicune, but like you say, Suicune comes at the end of the battle, so you will know ~85% of the time what your opponent has and you won't set up with Suicune until you know the sea horse is down. Anyway, a Flygon with 252 Satk/4 Atk/252 Spe with a Naive nature with a Life Orb and Earthquake|Fire Blast|Draco Meteor|Roost is a good answer against Life Orb Shaymin (which sacrifice 32 evs from Speed, so you outspeed them and hit them with Fire Blast), Flygon also gives you the very valuable Rock- type resist and scaring Tyranitar off.

Finally I think, you could try Taunt over Explosion on Heatran with a Timid Nature and Life Orb, this means you don't throw him away against Blissey, but take it out with Taunt+FireBlast.

GL!

Thanks for the Rate !

I agree with Azelf's set and weakness to MachampLead, so i will run the set you suggest me.

Then, you confirmed what wynought said, ScarfTar is definitely better for my team than the set i'm currently running

As you said 2 scarfers with the same utility on a team is useless, so i will try your Rotom-W set.

I definetely agree that Celebi is not that much important, but i don't think Special Based Flygon makes a good change since ShucaTran deals well with shaymin.

Finally, i asked me if i can run a HeaTrap Set to deal with blissey / Special Walls, a set looking like this:

Heatran @ Shucabery

Magma Storm
Eartpower
Taunt
Explosion

Hasty - 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 Hp

Shuca Berry to deal with Shaymin

And now a last poke, but i don't have ideas .

Hmmm, interesting team you have here. It looks good.

Firstly, I see a HUGE Tyranitar weakness, it has the ability to Dragon Dance and pretty much sweep your team cold. Choice Band variants OHKO everything on your team bar Suicune as well. You also have a small problem with Lead Machamp and a slight weakness to offensive grass-types. Personally, I think you should try a Choice Scarf Flygon over your Rotom-H. This does open you up slightly to Lucario, so I will explain how to fix that later on in the RMT. Choice Scarf Flygon is a crucial rock resist for your team and is a very solid revenge killer for Dragon Dance Tyranitar. It really helps patch up your huge Tyranitar weakness, although you have to play it carefully around Choice Band variants, as they threaten to OHKO with Crunch.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly | Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Outrage / U-turn / Earthquake / Stone Edge

While Flygon covers pretty much everything that Rotom covered, except Gyarados as Celebi and Suicune check that quite comfortably, by removing Rotom, you open yourself up to a potential Jolly Lucario sweep. Therefore, I would like to suggest a faster variant of Celebi. This Celebi will be able to outrun both Lucario and Suicune and OHKO both of them respectively.

Celebi @ Life Orb
Timid | Natural Cure
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpAtk / 184 Spe
Leaf Storm / Earth Power / Hidden Power [Fire] / Recover

On to minor changes, I think Heatran warrants a Shuca Berry so it can act as a last ditch check to offensive Shaymin, who is quite a large problem to your team. Shuca Heatran can also act as a check to stuff like Jolly Agility Metagross if Celebi and Suicune are weakened. Shuca also helps Heatran against a number of threats, such as you accidentally coming in on an Earth Power from defensive Celebi or something. You could also follow The LegendKiller's idea of a Life Orb Azelf lead if you are having problems with your Machamp weakness.

Good luck!

Thank you for the rate !

I have not tested all suggestions yet, but I will try all of them (ScarfTar + defensif rotom-w, ScarfGon over Rotom-h)

Oh and that Celebi Looks awesome, i think this Thing goes better with the Team, so thanks.

Shuca Berry is definitely a better Option

Good Night ^^

Hey I got your message, cool team. A lot of good suggestions have already been made, such as the use of scarf flygon over Rotom. I think this would help solve many of your current issues with Tyranitar and most dark/ghost attacks. However, one thing you may consider is the possible usage of a different grass type. Celebi, to me, introduces more problems than it handles, and I think a slightly unusual but effective choice would benefit you more. Try the following set:

@ Leftovers
252 HP / 56 Spe / 24 SpAtk / 176 SpDef
Calm
-Sleep Powder
-Leech Seed
-Grass Knot
-Hidden Power (fire)

Now, before you think I'm only endorsing this set since it's my avatar, please not that it has passed quality control. Firstly, it is an excellent stop to the fighting types that annoy you, such as Breloom and Lucario, without confounding a weakness to Tyranitar or Gengar- in fact, this guy acts as an excellent check to these figures, in a pinch. Hidden Power fire means that he actually helps you deal with Scizor instead of the reverse, and of course sleep powder and leech seed are hilarious and frustrating- sleep powder is a great last-ditch move. The downsides are few- a weakness to the rare Psychic, a neutrality to ground, and a weaker ability are the only cons to this set.

That's all the advice I have, I hope this helps!

Thanks for the rate Smith!

Well, today I had the occasion to test Flygon Scarf and the Celebi Heist suggested me and as said in the threat, they really helped me against tyranitar and lucario, but then SubGar became a big problem so I think Venusaur is better at Celebi's place. I will try it out. Thanks !

Updated with changes!

Flygon Scarf over Rotom-H Scarf, also changed Celebi Spread and Moves (I'm currently testing Venusaur)

Shuca Berry over Expert Belt on Heatran.

Hope you will rate !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)