OU Sun Team

My first OU team that functions best utilizing the sunlight.

Let's get straight to business.

THE TEAM:

#1. Ninetales

Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Drought (duh)
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Flamethrower
-Will-O-Wisp
-Protect
-Roar

I really hate this Pokemon. Its uselessness outside of Drought is irksome. It annoys me, so I make it as annoying as possible. Will-O-Wisp, then Roar. Rinse and repeat until everything is burned. Protect just because, and Flamethrower so that it can at least hurt things outside of just inflicting status. I consider it lucky if thing faints anything by itself.

#2. Venusaur

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
-Growth
-SolarBeam
-Hidden Power Rock
-Synthesis

There is no denying that Venusaur is an absolute monster in the sunlight. It's like it was specifically designed to do naught but kick ALL the ass when the sun is out. Its ability increases its speed to over 500. A single Growth sends its SAtk skyrocketing to well over 600. SolarBeam is incredibly powerful, with a power of 180 if you include STAB. Synthesis will heal almost all of its health when the sun is shining. And Hidden Power Rock is there for coverage, being super effective against three of its four weaknesses. It's the king of this sunlight team, and it should be treated as such.

#3. Charizard

Item: Life Orb
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
-Flamethrower
-Air Slash
-SolarBeam
-Hidden Power Ground

Hoooo boy. This thing is something special.
On one hand, it's pretty frail. It's hard to get this thing in for battle without a free switch in, and even then, a single hit from pretty much anything will do it in. The residual damage from Solar Power and its Life Orb doesn't help much either.
On the other hand, its SAtk is ENORMOUS. Every attack it does has its damage boosted by 80% because of its Solar Power and Life Orb. That makes its SAtk around 570, without any boosts from moves.
All things considered, it makes an incredibly useful revenge killer. It can dish out ridiculous amounts of damage with zero set up. It just isn't expected to be able to do that for very long.

#4. Black Kyurem
\

Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Substitute
-Dragon Claw
-Fusion Bolt
-Freeze Shock

This wasn't added to my team until I was almost done building it, and I realized it was lacking in physical attackers. And nothing screams 'overcompensation' louder than Black Kyurem's Atk stat. It's completely absurd. Kyurem-B's access to Fusion Bolt only makes it better, allowing it to smite the pesky water types that are a Sun team's biggest enemy, namely Politoed. Substitute keeps it from getting hit by statuses, namely burn. Dragon Claw is a powerful STAB attack that is only resisted by steel. I was debating between Freeze Shock and Ice Beam, eventually choosing the former because it's physical, ridiculously powerful and can paralyze, which is always fun. The charging up turn isn't terribly fun, but it's bulky enough that, with a substitute up, it can usually survive long enough to be able to execute the attack.

#5. Cresselia

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
-Calm Mind
-Moonlight
-Hidden Power Fighting
-Psyshock

I was debating between this and Reuniclus, and eventually decided that Cresselia's superiour bulk and access to Moonlight in the sun was better than Reuniclus' Magic Guard. What this thing does is rather simple; Calm Mind a couple of times, Moonighting away any damage that is taken, then attack with Psyshock or Hidden Power Fighting. It's simple, but incredibly effective, having been the source of many ragequits.
P.S. Don't ragequit. It's not fun.

#6. Heatran

Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Modest Nature
-Earth Power
-Heat Wave
-Dragon Pulse
-SolarBeam

Once again, I debated having this on the team in favor of Volcarona. But, no matter how useful Quiver Dance can be, the raw unboosted power and versatility of Heatran won out. Plus, I already had a double weakness to Rock with Charizard.
Its item was a debate as well. Air Balloons are near useless in my opinion, being popped by any attack at all. Shuca Berry was also debated, but it saw much less use than I thought it would. Plus, with both defenses being 280, it's survived a suprising amount of Earthquakes and Earth Powers.
For it's moves, Earth Power was a given. Heat wave was chosen over Fire Blast due to it's better accuracy. Dragon Pulse was to counter the dragons that are so prominent in OU, and SolarBeam was picked because I'm taking as much advantage of the sunlight as I can.

So there you go. Only things I really have problems with are teams that use other weather conditions, especially rain. Then it becomes a desperate race to see who can keep their weather out the most, and weather starter alive longest.

Hello. I'm gonna give this a rather quick rate. Your venusaur moveset looks rather messed up and venu would rather use growth and destroy the opposition than use synthesis. Switch solarbeam(it's terrible since then even politoed and tyranitar can beat it) with giga drain and HP rock with HP fire(steels bruh). Also replace synethesis with sludge bomb or sleep powder. Also, you have charizard without rapid spin support. I'd suggest swapping out cresellia for either of starmie(yes, it can be used in sun), donphan, or forretress(utility). Also your venusaur and most of your team in general will struggle against heatran. I know you love charizard and all that, but the simplicity in getting rocks up sucks for it. So you should replace it with all out offensive volcarona which can bait heatran with HP ground and can either sweep on its own or help venusaur sweep.
Hope I helped!

Hi and welcome to Smogon,

Your team needs lot of work to do well in the current metagame but don't worry I'll help you a bit to improve it. First of all, you should use a Rapid Spin or Magic Bounce support since you're really weak to any kind of entry hazards, mainly to Stealth Rock. You also need a Stealth Rock user itself since they allow to deal with threats like Volcarona, Dragonite, Salamence, Thundurus-T and so on and to deal some damage as well. In my opinion you can use Donphan instead of Charizard which seems the most useless mon right here, Donphan gives you Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock support and a resistance to Rock-type too, which is useful against things like Terrakion. You can get the Donphan set from this analysis. Then, I guess you should improve some of your sets. Your current Ninetales isn't good because it always loses to the other weather summoner (Politoed, Tyranitar and Hippowdon) and because it's very fragile so it'll die quickly during your battle and if you lose your weather summoner you have practically lost against any other kind of weather team. Therefore, you should use the Defensive set of Ninetales from this analysis. This set allows you make Ninetales bulkier which is a important thing in weather wars and Sunny Day allows to change the weather whenever the opposing weather summoner decides to switch in, you should understand the important of this since it just gives useful momentum and makes the opponent in a losing position. Then, you should change your Venusaur set too, you can use the Chlorophyll Sweeper from this analysis, which is generic better. Hidden Power Fire allows to destroy some annoying Steel-types like Jirachi and Ferrothorn which stop your current set, Giga Drain is a good recovery move itself while not allows Politoed, Tyranitar and Hippowdon to switch in, Sludge Bomb is a strong stab and forms a really good coverage with Giga Drain and Hidden Power Fire but you can even use Earthquake and change your nature and EVs accordingly because you seem Heatran weak (use 76 Atk / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd and Naive nature if you decide to use Earthquake). However, run always a +Spe nature on Venusaur to not get outspeed by Choice Scarf users like Lati Twins which would revenge-kill you. Now, let's moving on Kyurem-B, use Hidden Power Fire instead of Freeze Shock because it would allows you to wreck Steel-type like Scizor which can otherwise block your Kyurem (HP Fire is anyway much better than Freeze Shock since it has to wait 1 turn to hit) and move its nature to Lonely accordingly. Next, in my opinion you should change your Cresselia set, you really need Ice Beam to hit Dragon-types which otherwise destroy you easily (Donphan isn't enough to deal with them) so you should try the Defensive set from this analysis. Your current Cresselia set doesn't fit really well in your team neither I guess so yeah I think that the support one is definitely better here. Finally, I suggest you to change Heatran's set into the Weather Trapper from this analysis of the site. As the name suggests this set would help you to win the weather war more easily thanks to Magma Storm, Sunny Day and Solar Beam so you may try it instead of your current Heatran set. Sorry if I changed too much things on your team but I had to do it to improve your team, now it should win more and more battles than before. Good luck! I hope I helped with this rate :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)