OU Sweeper Team 2.0

My first stab at making a sweeper team (Which was also my first stab at making A team altogether), to be quite frank, sucked. Thus, I went with other ideas, such as a Trick Room team and even a FEAR team. They weren't really good, either, but I was improving on my team building. But then I got bored with my mediocre winning ability and decided to go back to a sweeper set. This time, it is actually decent but not exactly amazing. I'll put it up with my Trick Room as being above mediocre. But what I like about this team is how easy it is to use and how a match can turn around quickly when one sweeper gets on a streak. This team needs help, so thus I am here.

Klefki

(No good images for this thing!)

Klefki (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SDef
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spikes
- Foul Play
I went with Klefki because of his useful typing and priority, which easily takes the job away from Bronzong. Does its job. Dry well. Just a better version of Bronzong. The only true downgrade is that he uses Spikes instead of Stealth Rocks, but I can't complain much.
Thundurus

Thundurus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
Up until a little while ago, this spot was taken by Gengar. But sadly, Gengar just wasn't cutting it. So now I use Thundurus. So far, his fragility has gotten the best of him, getting hit hard after using a nasty plot, sometimes not surviving. Then his accuracy problems rear their ugly heads. This, along with the fact that I have been using him only for a short time, has given him a disappointing spot on my team. But the promises of a powerful Thunder that only his other form can beat keeps him in his place on this team. I believe he'll get out of this funk and make all who oppose him cry for mercy.

Kyurem-Black

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 100 Atk / 228 Spd / 180 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
With attack power nearing Mega-Hera, he is most definitely powerful. But, due to the fact that he lacks some key physical moves, such as no physical Ice-type attack, he takes the role from Salamence as being a mixed sweeper. A bit slower, but is definitely more powerful. He do just as well, if not a bit better. Oh, if only he could use Earthquake and a physical Ice-attack...

Mamoswine

Mamoswine (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Superpower
Mamoswine can be generally amazing. A good counter to dragons, flying, and ground types, Mamoswine gets the job done. While he does it less frequently as Salamence and Mega-Heracross, he can easily sweep multiple opponents. The oddest thing about him is that he is fast, as he outspeeds some Pokémon. Once, I saw him outspeed a Latios and OHKOed him with Icicle Crash. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how that happened. Regardless, this speedy behemoth is most definitely a useful part of the team.
Azumarill

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

I discovered I had a bad Fire type problem, and I needed something to relieve that. At first, I chose Heatran. He definitely did well with switching in on Fire attacks, but the only thing he seems to destroy is opposing Heatran. He had no sweeping ability whatsoever. So, by suggestion, I went with BellyJet Azumarill. He gives Salamence and Mega-Hera a run for there money. The only problem is, if he isn't using Aqua Jet, he is a bit slow. Otherwise, this was a great suggestion.

Mega-Heracross

Heracross (F) @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 HP / 216 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
In case you didn't know this, the design for Mega-Heracross is based on the male Hercules Beetle, and that name tells you all you need to know on how good this bug is. It's ability, base attack, and move coverage makes him have the greatest chance to full out sweep a team. But his typing and speed keeps him from doing it more often, so the edge still goes to Salamence as best sweeper. But Mega-Heracross can be very potent, even lethal, to the opposing team.

Thank you for looking at my team. Leave any input to make the team better. I will be glad to look at all the advice I get and apply them to make my team better. Once again, thanks!

Replays:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-134989216
(Note: this one I found pretty hilarious.)

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-134981445
(Note: this shows Mamoswines sweeping ability, including the outspeed of Latios)

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-134636295
(Note: I lost in this one, but it contains one of the stupidest looking moves I have ever made in my Pokémon life. I should've won)

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-134631480
(Note: my inaugural battle. Made some bad mistakes, but shows off the teams pure strength, especially against steel types)

Last edited:
Hi Boston, I have a few suggestions that I'm gonna throw your way. Whether you take heed to them or not is your decision.

First off, I would suggest scrapping Bronzong altogether. I would suggest using Klefki due to its status-priority. I am actually using one on one of my teams and it has worked fantastically as a lead.

Klefki @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP + whatever defense spread you prefer
Calm/Bold Nature (depending on which defense is your priority)
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Thunder Wave/Spikes
-Foul Play

Klefki obviously works much better at setting up dual-screens due to Prankster, but the downside is lack of Stealth Rock. If you still really want to set up entry hazards, setting up Spikes is always an option. I, however, prefer to use Thunder Wave instead to paralyze his 'mons. If you manage to paralyze several of his 'mons with Klefki that could really increase the chances of a Mega Heracross/Mamoswine sweep. Choose whichever move tickles your peach.

Also, for MoxieMence, I personally would suggest a more physical variant of that set. Having Outrage and Draco Meteor on the same set is a pretty bad move, so here's what Dr.Z is prescribing for you:

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Spe/252 Atk/4 SpAtk
Naive Nature
-Outrage/Dragon Claw
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast

And for Mamoswine I would suggest using Stone Edge instead of Superpower.

I use Thundurus on my team as well, and I found it a lot easier to use Thunderbolt rather than Thunder. The accuracy change definitely makes up for the slight power drop.

Hey Bostonl1, pretty cool team you have here. You have quite a bit of wall breaking power but it's all in vain. You need a light at the end of the tunnel; a clear win condition. You also have a nasty Fire type weakness and only one resist. Try swapping out Bronzong for Deoxys-Speed as it is much better in this lead screens role. It sets up screens faster meaning you take less damage than Bronzong already and can out speed all the Taunt users outside of a Prankster pokemon. This also gives you another neutrality to Fire typing and one less weakness.

With Thundurus being one of the top three pokes in OU and with the amount of answers you have to Steel types Magnezone gets a bit redundant. I suggest you change Magnezone to an Azumarill so you have a Pokemon to actually abuse screens early on in the match. Azumarill has one of the best defensive typings in the game, yet manages to threaten basically any offensive team without a Mega Venusaur. Given its Belly Drum set it can perform as a late game sweeper, a cleaner, another wall breaker, a win condition, and a bunny.

Assuming both of these have been implemented you now have a huge annoyance in Rotom-Wash. Superpower is also not as ideal this gen on Mamoswine as last and for these two reasons you should try using Toxic over it. Toxic does seem like an odd choice at first but Rotom-Wash is one of the biggest problems to the team and is worn down quite easily once poisoned. Greninja also can pose a large problem to the team if screens aren't up. You have one of the best answers to it on your team, just with the wrong move set. Thunder is less than stellar outside of rain as the lack of accuracy really hinders your chances for little to no reason; use Thunderbolt > Thunder and Thunder Wave > Nasty Plot allowing you to cripple Greninja and outpace it later on with assorted threats. Lastly running two Dragon type moves on Salamence in a meta where Steel and Fairy Pokemon are pretty much everywhere is not as good as an idea as you can come up with. Try swapping out Draco Meteor for Stone Edge in order to take on flyers such as Mega Pinsir or Talonflame easier; you also won't be doing any sweeping any time soon so run Intimidate > Moxie to discourage physical attackers from staying in on you.

Hope I helped!
Deoxys-Speed @ Light Clay
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)