1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Ou team (beginner/intermediate)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Mister Dildy, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Mister Dildy

Mister Dildy

Hi everyone I am new to the showdown forums and the world of OU. Pretty much I'm just going to paste my team from showdown here and try to give some information on them and please provide proggessive criticism, Thanks!. Here we go!

Breloom @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Bullet Seed
    - Mach Punch
    - Low Sweep
    - Spore
    I chose breloom for this team because he is my favorite poke from ruby. His ability technician already helps give most of his moves some extra 'Oomf.' I gave him a choice band to let him hit a little bit harder to make sure most of times I use him it will be a 2HKO - 3HKO. I also gave him bullet seed to cover water types like starmie and the ever so rare poliwhirl. I chose low sweep over other fighting moves for the speed drop. Spore is really helpful in knocking enemies to sleep and letting me switch for a better match up or to reset my attack choice. Now to the Evs: I gave him max special defense and 4hp to be a little bulky and to withstand some boosted attacks. Max attack for obvious reasons. And a jolly nature to give him some extra speed.

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Shadow Tag
    EVs: 252 SPAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Psychic
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Trick
    I chose gothitelle for this team to go alongside rapidash and to try a new poke out. He has choice specs for the same reason breloom has a choice band. I chose shadow tag to ensnare my foe to make them stay. Psychic, HP Ice and T-Bolt for coverage. And trick to basically have fun and joke with the opponent if things were going south. Special and regular defense to be a tiny bit bulky and special attack for obvious reasons.

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Rapid Spin
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hydro Pump
    I chose starmie because as we all know OU is littered with tiny rocks and spikes, so we need a spinner. I scarfed him to make him the speed racer of the team. Ice beam T=bolt and psychic for coverage and rapid spin because SR. I gave him defenses to not be incredibly frail like an evee taking a dynamic punch from a supped up machoke. Evs in defenses to not be an evee getting hit by a mac truck. and special attack because offense

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunder Wave
    - Protect
    We all know why I chose ferro. To add to the inevitably increasing pile of rocks in OU. But this one stuns them to add both a crippling effect and to be a joker.

Rapidash @ Life Orb
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Flame Charge
    - Megahorn
    - Wild Charge
    Now rapidash I had some fun with. This set is actually really good. The boosted power from CB and the greatest stab ever(Flame Charge)makes an awesome combo. Evs are self explanatory.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 SPDef / 4 Hp
    Bold Nature
    - Wish
    - Toxic
    - Seismic Toss
    - Protect
    And now we come to chansey a wall among China. Chansey is a great support for this team and a great staller as well. Evs are self explanatory.

Anyways that is my team please help me make it better by being awesome and criticizing me. Thank you all and have a wonderful battle. :pimp:
    Edit: Thanks for your comments and suggestions!
  2. superstar

superstar

You're weak to a lot of stuff (Rapidash isn't really OU viable, unfortunately), but we can make some changes to movesets to make the team a lot more viable without changing Pokes. :)

Breloom and Goth look fine.

Starmie hates to be locked into Rapid Spin, but there isn't really a better option for that slot and you need a Scarfer. Get rid of Psychic and add Hydro Pump. Psychic is really only good for Toxicroak and Gothitelle traps him all day. Hydro Pump hits Terrakion harder and is more spammable than Psychic. Also, you have Ice Beam and Thunderbolt for Breloom and Keldeo, respectively.

There is literally no point in running Protect on Ferro without Leech Seed/Toxic Spikes support. Your team isn't strong enough defensively to benefit from Spikes either. Run the moves Stealth Rock/Leech Seed/Protect/Gyro Ball instead. You could also get rid of Protect and run Power Whip/Thunder Wave if you wanted to.

Flame Charge on a Choice Band poke? Okay, there are several things wrong with this set. First off, Rapidash is totally outclassed in OU by Infernape, who lacks the Stealth Rock weakness, has better STABs, and has higher attack and speed. Flame Charge is also a poor move to lock yourself into. It fails to OHKO Ferrothorn (who is 4x weak to it), and does a paltry 35% to normal Landorus, to use some examples. If you would like to use a Flame Charger, I would suggest either Heatran, who gives you a nice Steel typing, or Infernape. If you do not want to get rid of Rapidash then switch the item to Life Orb and run a set of Flare Blitz/Wild Charge/Flame Charge/Megahorn or Low Kick

Chansey is better than Blissey in almost every way due to its higher Eviolite-boosted defenses. Either way, get rid of Aromatherapy -- your team doesn't mind status too much. This lets you replace Softboiled with Wish and Protect, which allows Blissey to heal its teammates. I've always found that Ice Beam sucks on Blissey, since you wall the Latis anyway and its not like you're staying in on Salamence or Dragonite. I'd reccomend a Chansey instead -- 252 Def/252 SpDef Bold @Eviolite, with Toxic/Wish/Protect/Seismic Toss usually does the job well
  3. TheUeki

TheUeki

I wouldn't advise running Spore on a Banded Breloom, I would switch the Band for a Life Orb and Low Sweep for Swords Dance. You get a Spore in and one, or maybe two Swords Dances and you're pretty much ready for a sweep. Remember, Breloom is better used late-game.

I don't see anything wrong with Gothitelle, nor Starmie. That Scarf on Starmie is sure.. er, pelicular - if you need to Rapid Spin, you are stuck with it until you switch. So I'm not entirely sure of that choice (pun, anyone?), but if you feel it works for you..

Ferrothorn is just wrong man. It's COMPLETE taunt bait :/
    I advice a set with:
    . Stealth Rock / Spikes
    . Leech Seed / Spikes
    . Power Whip
    . Gyro Ball

At the very bit least, you can remove one attack, but having none isn't good. The underlined ones is what I use, and it's really effective.

Rapidash: While Flame Charge adds to your speed, it's very very weak, so you're not going to be killing much with that. Not to mention, Rapidash isn't cut for OU, there are a whole lot better fire types out there.
    It needs to be replaced.

Blissey seems fine, while Seismic Toss hits harder on almost everything, ghost types wall it all day, specially Gengar who even resists Toxic, so Ice Beam is viable.

Good luck!

Edit: I didn't see the post above me by Superstar, but his changes are good, so listen to him :)
  4. Im Skalayle

Im Skalayle

I am likening the Team setup but there a few problems with some things.
    To start off Rapidash isnt viable in OU I advise you to use a Infernape or a Arcanine.Stab banded flare blitz will pack a good punch to whoever is one the receiving end plus Arcanine has E-speed and that can help alot.Infernape is fast and can hit harder ten rapidash any classic Infernape set will help this team more the Rapidash.

Ferrothorn looks like setup bait.Changing the moves would be bind but i think a new pokemon such as Gliscor would be better.Most your team will now be able to take a Good EQ.Gliscor Toxic Orb Poison Heal works wonders.YOu could have the Roost Rocks EQ Ice fang Set.So it could lay the rocks you wanted and take a few hit and give some out.

I would not recommend getting Starmie locked into Rapid spin and Chansey is better then blissey with Eviolite.

Hope this help ~

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)