ORAS OU OU Team Builder (New to Competitive Battling)

Hello all,

I'm relatively new here and while I do have a baseline understanding of the Pokemon metagame, I am by no means talented or knowledgeable in competitive battling. Nonetheless, YouTube has reignited childhood passions and here I am.

I thought the best place to start would be OU, the most standard of Smogon tiers. I've done some Web-browsing and have a general understanding of how to construct a balanced, viable OU team.
  • mixed typings, items, movesets, EV spreads, etc
  • offensive and defensive Pokemon with physical or special movesets (mixed only to catch people off-guard)
  • well-roundedness to be able to combat a wide variety of Pokemon and strategies as best as possible
I want to keep this process structured for myself, for the sake of simplicity and effectiveness. So I decided to hop on the bandwagon and build my first team around everyone's favorite and first Pokemon (including myself - FireRed) Charmander, or technically Charizard.

Pokemon: Charizard (X)
Nickname: Heatseeker
Item: Charizardite X
Ability: Solar Power/Tough Claws
Moves: Fire Punch, Dragon Claw, Dragon Dance, Thunder Punch
Stats: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 SpD
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)

I want Charizard (X) to be my set-up Physical Sweeper, possibly as a lead to scare out Ferrothorns looking to setup Stealth Rocks for my Charizard (X). But with one Dragon Dance serious damage can be dealt consistently via STAB, especially after Mega-Evolving with the Tough Claws boost. The additional speed will allow me to outspeed a lot of Choice Scarfed Pokemon with slower base Speed stats. I opted for Fire Punch over Flare Blitz for longevity, despite the higher damage output.

Pokemon: Weavile
Nickname: Ninjutsu
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Moves: Icicle Crash, Knock Off, Brick Break, Poison Jab
Stats: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 SpD
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SpA)

Weavile is my second Sweeper, also Physical. But its natural high Speed stat allows me to utilize a Choice Band and OHKO opponents with a simple STAB Knock Off. I decided against priority in Ice Shard in favor of coverage for Rock/Steel Types with Brick Break and Fairy Types with Poison Jab. I think it works well with Charizard as they hit for super effective damage on different types which makes for a more inclusive offense.

Pokemon: Gliscor
Nickname: Nightcrawler
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Moves: Earthquake, Knock Off, Stealth Rock, Stone Edge
Stats: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)

With two offensive Pokemon, I thought a defensive Pokemon was much needed. Functioning as my Physical "wall", Gliscor can handle neutral Physical attacks with its natural bulk and EV spread. It is also my Stealth Rock-er to subdue opponents' Charizards, Talonflames, and Volcaronas as well. The HP recovery in the form of a status condition/held item/ability prevents any residual damage which will allow Gliscor to tank physical hits over an extended period of time (hopefully).

Pokemon: Rotom (Wash)
Nickname: Scrub-a-dub
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Moves: Hydro Pump, Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Will-o-wisp
Stats: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 SpA
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)

To compliment my Physically-defensive Pokemon, my team needed a Specially-defensive Pokemon. This gives me switch-ins for a lot of Pokemon but the secondary role of Rotom (Wash) is to incapacitate opposing threats whether by Paralysis or Burn. And similar to Gliscor, the Leftovers promote its longevity whilst tanking hits alongside dual STAB.

Pokemon: Thundurus (Incarnate Forme)
Nickname: Sparkplug
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Moves: Thunderbolt, Hidden Power (Ice), Taunt, Nasty Plot
Stats: 252 SpA, 252 Spd, 4 SpD
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)

Thundurus (Incarnate Forme) is my other potential lead and primary Special attacker. Taunt allows it to stop hazards from being setup which can then be followed by a Nasty Plot to deal massive damage via STAB Thunderbolt and Hidden Power (Ice) for coverage against primarily Ground Types. However, its frailty is somewhat of a drawback in terms of its ability to switch-in on attacks and withstand a couple hits when outsped.

Pokemon: Breloom
Nickname: Yoshimitsu
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Moves: Bullet Seed, Mach Punch, Spore, Swords Dance
Stats: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Def
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SpA)

And last but not least, Breloom is what I intend to use as a late-game sweeper when my opponent's Pokemon are worn down and Breloom's priority can finish the deal. If necessary, the Focus Sash setup strategy is available to ensure that its Attack stat is high enough to defeat several Pokemon in succession with its Technician-boosted STAB attacks.

And that is my very first competitive Pokemon team, made for the OU tier. I feel that I could have used another Special Attacker to make it a 3:3 ratio as opposed to 4:2 (Physical:Special) for balance purposes. Looking back, my team seems a bit overly reliant on Physical Sweeps and can be walled by a Mega Slowbro, for example. Or in the same respect, a Scarfed Pokemon could outspeed all my Sweepers and do a serious number on my team before I even have a chance to attack. My team also lacks switch initiative and creativity, but I just wanted to go with something basic to start. Any criticism and tips would be appreciated. Merci.

Nick

Heya

At first glance, looking at your team, your team gets rekt by stealth rock, poor Charizard won't even have a chance to mega evolve and it doesn't have recovery in its set. RIP Sash loom and there are some changes you need to do in your spreads.

First Off, as Charizard is pretty much your main win con, you'd want it to live longer and be able to set up passive Pokemon. Also, speed is abbreviated as Spe. It pretty much looks like most of your investments will go to SpD with those simple typoes. I'd Suggest Roost > Thunderpunch as you have a Rotom to deal with Heatrans and Talonflame. Flare Blitz > Fire Punch also, even though Flare Blitz will recoil your Charizard, the extra damage and chances of KO increase are worth.

Weavile with a Choice Band is niche and is outclassed by Life Orb. I would give it Low Kick > Brick Break to deal with T-Tar and it would do massive damage to heavy Pokemon.

For Gliscor, I would suggest a change in spread. 244 HP | 8 Def | 200 SpD | 56 Spe should do the trick, as it has longevity among all your other pokemon. I would also suggest to change Stone Edge > Roost | Taunt | Toxic | Protect to help out when you'd need an extra turn of damaging your opponents as well as being to heal back up with Poison Heal + Recovery via roost.

For Rotom-Wash, I would suggest changing it into a Physically Defensive Spread as well as changing either Will O Wisp or T-Wave into Pain Split to have a chance of healing itself up and be able to help Zard with a late game sweep.

The Thundurus set seems fine but change it to Timid over Modest. Even though Modest does give you that extra power, what would it be without the extra speed to outspeed other pokemon and shut them down with T-Wave.

Breloom itself is fine but I would suggest changing SD > Rock Tomb. Not only will it have a technician boost, but also lower your opponent's Speed on the switch in.

Though while I do suggest some spreads to be changed, I'm also thinking of changing Thundurus into Skarmory as you have no fairy resists. Gardevoir and Sylveon can pretty much destroy your team head on. It will also provide the role as a defogger and possible spikes setter as well. You can also change it to taunt to prevent other pokemon from setting up.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind/Taunt

Hope this helps out well.

Reactions: Sun

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hello, at first glance your team is weak in mega mane, you do not have a switch for the fairies
we are going to improve the sets of your pokemon:
then charizard x, this is usually set more common dragon claw / flareblitz / roost / dragon dance, nature adamant okay because the most from strength to knock down walls as hippo and lando-t.

we see now Weavile:
the set is the most widely used life orb, Weavile uses his speed with his attack to eliminate latios, Landorus-t, the moves are more used these icicle crash / Knock Off / ice shard / Low kick or pursuit, but you can use poison jab if you bother Clefable :)

I will suggest Hippo> Gliscor because hippo block threats as mdiancie, raikou, mega mane, Landorus, Excadrill, ttar, in short, is great :)
the set is the most common earthquake / stone edge (mainly for talon Pinsir mega, and Tornadus-Therians) / slack off / stealth rock

rotom-w is best used as a physical wall, because it helps against birds, Azumarill, Landorus-Therian, using this set:
will or wisp / hydro pump / pain split / volt switch

I think you need a switch to Keldeo, I think celebi> Thundurus is the best choice, he also helps you beat mega venu running psychic, also you can learn twave (move the most hated of the moment along with scald xD)

his set is this: giga drain / psychic / recover / thunder wave

Lastly, I think you need a switch for mega garde, sylveon, I think SPD skarm>, Breloom, Skarmory can get rid of the rocks that bother weav, zard
set the most used is this:
iron head / roost / spikes/ defog

i think the team its really better now :)

the sets of the team
Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Low Kick
- Ice Shard

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Defog

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 228 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

i hope ive helped you ^^

Hi,

So first off
--->

Landorus is a better option for a few reasons, 1. It provides intim support 2. Much better vs charizard x 3. Provides u-turn support which helps the team out. Especially with making a volt turn core with rotom-w. Defensive landorus fits well and will allow you to get up rocks and keep momentum unlike gliscor who loses momentum.

--->

I really feel like klefki helps the team more than thundurus in this case. With klefki you at least have a check for lati, alakazam, kyurem-b, hoopa, diancie, etc, where before you would either get swept by the mons mentioned before or they would p much get a guaranteed kill. Klefki also gives you a fairy resist which can be helpful for handling faster fairy types. Klefki can also get hazards up to weaken checks of loom and drill.

-->

Too bad that charizard x needs something that can get rid of hazards. Excadrill is a cool revenge killer who can also be a late game win con that will be able to spam earthquake or iron head in order to weaken charizard x's checks and counters like landorus t.

Run flare blitz, dclaw, roost
thunderpunch doesnt really help your team and you need the boosted damage from flare blitz to get ko's on stuff like landorus. Also with roost you get many more chances to set up on different mons which is nice and charizard can stay alive for longer in order to help with scizor.

Run standard set with volt switch > thunderbolt and pain split > thunderwave running double status doesnt really work out well, and you really need volt switch to gain the momentum needed with an offensive build like this one.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Flash Cannon

EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

njnp

We don't play this game to lose.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
What I think About Your Team First Glance

Welcome to the smogon community [:
It's good to see new players being active on the forums trying to learn more and improve on their teams,building, and skills.
Your team does give the look that you are new
but it isn't extremely bad and definitely better then some first time rmt's so congrats!

How You Can Improve Your Team

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Your team has no lati switch ins and barely switch ins as it is.
Pursuit will be able to take those monsters out for you.
You can also take advantage of pursuit with torn t weakening it to a point where it will die to a plus 2 mach punch.

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Just dd and kill stuff [:
Charizard has very few checks or counters for this set and
doesn't really need moves like thunder punch to wrekt.
You are able to outpace scarf lando t with this set and kill if after a dd after it comes into rocks 1 or 2 times I believe.

Kanye (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

You really don't need spd that is unnecessary and
should opt for the more commonly appreciated rotom set.

Replace A Mon

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

This will give you a nice wallbreaker and check to many threats in the oras ou metagame.
This helps your opposing weavile problem slightly but
helps your mega manectric problem majorly.

Conclusion
This team can get much better and you will probably get much better as a player as well along the line.
I wish you massive success buddy and hope you take my changes into consideration.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)