OU team featuring the 3 starters of the original 151 (R/B poke only)

The theme behind the team is to use pokemon only from the original 151 with the 3 starter evos present. I tried to use Pokemon that were iconic and good representatives of the original 151 while maintaining competitive viability.

Duty (Charizard) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Air Slash
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

My favorite lead. OHKOs many common leads such as Gengar. Not sure about the EV spread, just like the idea of being able to outspeed and OHKO many other douche bags. Good revenge killer, pretty cool hit and run guy. Focus Blast has a chance of OHKOing Tyranitar and Hidden Power [Ice] takes out dragons.

Honor (Blastoise) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/6 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Protect

My rapid spinner. RS support is vital for any team with a Charizard. Starting to dislike Ice Beam because dragons always seem to have the upper hand on this set, Charizard already picks them off (If I can get Charizard in), and the set is completely walled by Steel types.

Country (Venusaur) (F) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Seed Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Badass Pokemon. Sleep Powder lands often enough with wide lens. Swords Dance + Earthquake/Seed Bomb is strong on just about anything and it does have a bit of surprise factor. Infernape does a number on this set though, as do Salamence/Dragonite.

Jarhead (Gengar) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Will-o-wisp

Will-o-wisp screws quite a few physical attackers over. Nevertheless thinking about switching Will-o-Wisp out for Substitute, as Gengar is usually the one I'm subbing on to from Jolteon because of the plethora of things Gengar can hit.

Leatherneck (Machamp) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dynamicpunch
- Stone Edge
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Hits stuff, hits hard, and takes hits. Cool Pokemon. It has four arms. My go to gal when I don't know what the hell to do. Confusion always helps in a situation and has saved my ass like 32 times. Counters Blissey.

Devildog (Jolteon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/232 Spd/24 SDef
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Wish
- Baton Pass
- Substitute

Last Pokemon that provides much needed support. Most likely to be dropped like this one chick I liked from Long John Silvers but she ended up sleeping with the entire store. Kills water types.

Considering switching the Jolteon out for a Nidoking

Devildog (Nidoking) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 Atk/88 Spd/168 SAtk
Naughty nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Megahorn
- Thunderbolt

Good idea or no? Pros/Cons? I'm considering it because it does the same job of absorbing electric attacks as Jolteon but actually has something to do vs other Jolteon which seem to be increasing in popularity.

While keeping in you theme of the original 151, you should replace blastoise with tentacruel...Beyond that, I just don't think Venasaur compliments this team... I would personally recommend replacing it with a sub-punching breloom (but that would break you theme...And if you break it for that change, you might as well switch in several "new" pokemon to make a truly feasible team)

Hmmmmm, seeing a ScarfZard lead I feel compelled to post. From my experiences, HP Ice is vastly more useful than Dragon Pulse. There are some merits to the usual 252 SpAtk, 252 speed, 4 HP, but I have found that a little more investment in HP is worth a lot. With a EV spread of 72 HP, 252 Spatk, and 180 Speed with a Modest nature, you will always survive a Gengar's Thunderbolt (important against a scarf lead) and survive strong neutral attacks better. Plus, you still outspeed stuff like Heatran and the standard Empoleon after an Agility with the 421 speed given by scarf. Something to consider I guess.

Besides that, I think Blastoise needs a change in moveset. Blastoise wishes it had recovery, but resttalk is a bit too risky with your set--especially with only surf. Let me tell yah, you do not want to give Salamence a free switch in on this team. As such, I'd be inclined to drop resttalk and add ice beam and yawn/toxic or HP Elec for Gyarados. If you really want a physical slant then for attacking moves try Waterfall and Ice Punch/Avalanche--or slap a Choice Band on it.

Choice Specs on Gengar nowadays is asking for it, even if you do have trick. I think you'll find Life Orb to be much more effective, especially for sweeping purposes.

If your worried about steels (which you should be, since Scizor can do a number on this team), why not add a Magnezone over Jolteon? It still kinda fits with your theme since Magneton was Kanto, and it really helps Venusaur's sweeping capabilities.

Besides that, good luck to you!

Hmmmmm, seeing a ScarfZard lead I feel compelled to post. From my experiences, HP Ice is vastly more useful than Dragon Pulse. There are some merits to the usual 252 SpAtk, 252 speed, 4 HP, but I have found that a little more investment in HP is worth a lot. With a EV spread of 72 HP, 252 Spatk, and 180 Speed with a Modest nature, you will always survive a Gengar's Thunderbolt (important against a scarf lead) and survive strong neutral attacks better.
I already outspeed and OHKO every Gengar set I've come across.

Besides that, I think Blastoise needs a change in moveset. Blastoise wishes it had recovery, but resttalk is a bit too risky with your set--especially with only surf. Let me tell yah, you do not want to give Salamence a free switch in on this team. As such, I'd be inclined to drop resttalk and add ice beam and yawn/toxic or HP Elec for Gyarados. If you really want a physical slant then for attacking moves try Waterfall and Ice Punch/Avalanche--or slap a Choice Band on it.
Switched my Blastoise set out for Ice Beam/Toxic/Protect/Rapid Spin, but I'm going to be testing out your other suggestions, but this set definitely is much more useful than the resttalking set.

Choice Specs on Gengar nowadays is asking for it, even if you do have trick. I think you'll find Life Orb to be much more effective, especially for sweeping purposes.
Agreed. LO works better.

If your worried about steels (which you should be, since Scizor can do a number on this team), why not add a Magnezone over Jolteon? It still kinda fits with your theme since Magneton was Kanto, and it really helps Venusaur's sweeping capabilities.
Nah, EQ on Venusaur and Charizard seem to take out steels well enough now. Plus I want to stick with only the original 151. No evos from later generations.

With regards to what you guys are saying about scarf leads, any sashed lead in the game will destroy any scarfed lead in the game. So the poorest Azelf or Gengar in existence will destroy you. Fix that- you must use a sash yourself or face destruction. I'm no fan of Charizard, I'd drop him for Azelf or a Gengar lead, but to each his own. Anyway, the sashes that over 9000% of leads carry screw your Charizard. Fixing that might be nice. And Aerodactyl leads salivate at the thought of that Charizard.

Honestly, I don't believe either Charizard or Venasaur is viable in 4th gen OU. and Venasaur does not "counter dragons-" Mence will walk all over it with Fire Blast.

Actually, once Mence gets a DD, your entire team is screwed. Really badly. So slap this daddy on:

Porygon-2 @ Leftovers
Bold
Trace
252 HP/216 Def/40 SpA
-Discharge
-Ice Beam
-Recover
-Thunder Wave/Toxic

According to Smogon, it
[QUOTE: smogon]
is also the game's best Dragon Dance Salamence counter, being able to survive a +1 Life Orb Outrage, after it Traces Intimidate, and OHKO back with Ice Beam.
[/QUOTE]

Keeps Gyarados and Heatran from walking all over you too. Not a bad choice for any team. Choice of status is up to you.

Hope i helped.

With regards to what you guys are saying about scarf leads, any sashed lead in the game will destroy any scarfed lead in the game. So the poorest Azelf or Gengar in existence will destroy you. Fix that- you must use a sash yourself or face destruction.
I haven't too much problems against scarfers but I see the predicament. I'm going to change the EVs of my Scarfizard to survive Gengars T-Bolt but Sashes aren't the end-all be-all.

And Aerodactyl leads salivate at the thought of that Charizard.
I switch to Blastoise when I meet an Aerodactyle lead. They usually taunt thinking my Charizard is a Bellydrummizard and I either 2HKO them with Ice Beam or Rapid Spin followed by an Ice Beam.

Honestly, I don't believe either Charizard or Venasaur is viable in 4th gen OU.
Believe it. Scarfzards served me well for much of my mediocre Pokemon career, but it's completely viable. Not everything has sashes, you know? And Venusaur does do a commendable job.

Actually, once Mence gets a DD, your entire team is screwed. Really badly. So slap this daddy on:

Porygon-2 @ Leftovers
Bold
Trace
252 HP/216 Def/40 SpA
-Discharge
-Ice Beam
-Recover
-Thunder Wave/Toxic

According to Smogon, it
is also the game's best Dragon Dance Salamence counter, being able to survive a +1 Life Orb Outrage, after it Traces Intimidate, and OHKO back with Ice Beam.
Keeps Gyarados and Heatran from walking all over you too. Not a bad choice for any team. Choice of status is up to you.

Hope i helped.
I'm not using any second gen Pokemon either, but thanks for the suggestion. Any good post-DD Salamence counters from the 1st Gen?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)