OU Team (HELP WANTED)

My First Gen V RMT

This team is pretty preliminary, but I have done significant testing on PO with it. I'm testing on PO before I construct it in the actual game, so i want to be pretty sure and confident about this team before I make it. I'll try to make as much clear as possible, and I'm looking for a lot of feedback. Make any suggestions you have, and point out any holes you see in it. Rate away!

Changes that have been made are in Bold.

Thundurus @ Focus Sash:
Timid
Prankster
252 Sp Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Taunt
Thunder Wave
Thunderbolt
Grass Knot (HP Water didn't 2HKO Hippowdon)

This is my anti-lead. He does wonders and usually takes out one to two Pokemon before it goes down. I made the personal modification of Grass Knot, because it hits ground types that resist T-bolt and T-Wave. Thundurus is incredibly disruptive. Prankster gives him priority Paralysis and Taunt. He stops sweepers and walls dead in their tracks and never goes down without a fight. I'll often switch him out and bring him back in on someone, taunt, and then set up with one of my other various sweepers.

Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid
Contrary
252 Sp Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Giga Drain
Substitue
HP Fire
Leaf Storm

Serperior is a great sweeper with Contrary. Giga Drain is there for consistent accuracy, and to recover more health. Maybe the thing i like the best about Serperior is that he's a great counter to Jellicent who I have had real trouble taking out. If i get a Substitute up and one Leaf Storm then I am pretty much set and ready to go. Finally, Serperior compliments the weaknesses of my other pokemon well, resisting water which Volcarona has trouble with.

Swampert @ Choice Band
Torrent
Adamant
172 HP, 252 Atk, 84 Spe
Waterfall
Earthquake
Ice Punch
Stone Edge

Swampert is my replacement for Carracosta. After testing i realized it fit perfectly in my team. I needed the instant power the CB set gives. I come in with my awesome typing, hit hard with my excellent STAB boosted attacks and then switch out again. It is more reliable than Carracosta and really hits much harder with the same, and even better, coverage. Thanks for the addition. My team is much better now.

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Flame Body
Bold:
252 Def, 252 Spe:
Quiver Dance
Flamethrower
Bug Buzz
Hidden Power Ground

Yeah, another sweeper. This team is incredibly offensive. Thundurus helps to let him set up with taunt/ T-Wave. Volcarona is practically abusive with Quiver Dance and eliminates all threats. I added a Focus Sash to remove the need for substitute to add Psychic which helps me with Chandelure (after several QD's) and the likes of Tentacruel. Not much more to say. Its a very very powerful sweeper.

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Guts:
Adamant:
252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def:
Bulk Up
Mach Punch
Drain Punch
Stone Edge

Conkeldurr acts even as my defensive wall/ tank. Drain Punch/ Lefties gives it some serious staying power and then add Defensive boosts from Bulk Up and you have an A + tank. Its resistance to Bug and Rock is appreciated by Serperior and Volcarona respectively. Anything that isnt hurt by STAB Drain Punch is hurt pretty badly by Stone Edge/Rock Slide (I like the extra accuracy.)

Forretress @ Leftovers
Sturdy
Sassy:
252 SpD, 124 HP, 132 Def:
0 Spd IV's
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rocks
Gyro Ball
Toxic Spikes

I need some support on a team like this. Stealth Rocks help to break Focus Sashes/ Sturdy. Rapid Spin is absolutely necessary to support Volcarona who has an ugly 4x weakness to rock. I have -Speed on everything i can to maximaze the effectiveness of Gyro Ball. I found that Forretress always had the time to stay in and get Toxic Spikes up so i added them in. His plethora of resitances is complimentary to everyone on my team and a 4x fire weakness compliments Swampert well.

Final Comments: The team is incredibly offensive, focusing mostly on sweepers, but i have the support necessary to make the big sweeps happen. i do need quite a bit of criticism to maximize this teams power, so any comment at all is appreciated. I take criticism well, so don't be afraid to go a little crazy. I have put quite a bit of time into it, so most decisions made have quite a bit of thought behind them
Rate Away!
Good luck!
-The Red Shadow

i have a suggestion for your carracosta,i would suggest that you replace the focus sash with a rugged helmet beacuse solid rock weakens down supper affective hits coming at you or if you want something like a sash then go with sturdy and as a item go with a berry wich increases your attack when your at low hp or if you want the best of both worlds i would go with solid rock and give it a white herb so you can get off 1 shell smash and not have your defense lowered.And about your thundurus,your giving it 252 speed so you dont really need thunder wave so i would suggest that you actually give it toxic over it or if you want some more stab and just want to stop leads from setting up then i would go with hurricane over thunder wave and if you want more power then i would suggest hp water over grass knot beacuse the only thing that grass and eletric covers that eletric that eletric and water dont cover is water/ground types like swampert and lead swamperts have really died down since 4th gen.(sorry for any spelling errors you find im not the best speller in the world)

Thanks for the input. I put sturdy/ rugged helmet on carracosta. and i changed grass knot to HP water. I'll see how those cosmetic changes help me out.

Keep the rates coming!

On the serperior set, I would run Giga Drain over Leech seed. I ran a Serperior in DW OU and I never used leech seed, but giga drain still saps health and runs off a boosted SpAtk after a leaf storm.

On paper this team looks pretty solid type synergy wise. But on offensive teams what really counts are resistances. You resist your team's weaknesses with at least one other pokemon, but a lot of types hit many members for neutral (flying and fire are only resisted by carracosta, psychic is only resisted by forretress so reuniclus is a huge threat.)

On offensive teams, you will be switching to avoid having weaker members of your team take attacks. These attacks don't have to be supereffective to be threatening. I would suggest replacing a pokemon (perhaps carracosta) with Latios. He resists Grass, water, and fire due to his dragon typing, ground due to levitate, and fighting and psychic due to the psychic type. He can sponge attacks aimed at other team members and fire back hard with a choice set. Also, forry resists each of Latios' weaknesses.

Also, your team has four set up sweepers. This is far too many. You can't expect to walk into a battle and try to set up sweeper one, then set up sweeper 2, then set up sweeper 3, etc. Your opponent will always stop you, and when you are holding items such as focus sashes (rendered useless if any hazards are down), your attacks won't be hitting hard enough to ko the opposing pokemon. You really need some pokemon that can hit hard right off the bat and can beat the counters to the pokemon that stop the set up sweepers that you do choose to have on your team.

Use pokemon with resistances, use pokemon that don't need set up, get rid of focus sash.

and after reading miracles comment yes you have to many set uppers and to fix that you could change carracosta into sorta more of a wall then a sweeper by switching those 4 evs in hp with those 252 evs in speed and replacing shell break with crunch for psychic types and you could switch out your volcarona for latios instead beacuse in this generation rocks and spikes are everywhere so volcarona could get magorley damaged by those thensomething faster then it could come on you setting up and take you out so i would suggest thea "latios > volcarona" and then if you do change shell break into crunch then you should also change sturdy into solid rock again beacuse you will have allot of hp and then you will be more likly to take more hits with solid rock over sturdy and one last thing is to take those speed ev's and give them to defense and mayby split up the evs inbewteen attack and defense so you can make carracosta more of a physical wall/physical attacker instead of a setter upper so that you have 128 attack evs and 128 defense evs so overall if you makes these changes it will make you only have 2 setting up pokemon and give you another wall and with latios a revenge killer

what does anyone think about dragonmists comments? I'm considering latios, and then i can change carracosta but i think i may be better just removing carracosta for a more devoted tank. what do you guys think?

I'd agree with removing Carracosta, even after a Shell Smash, he is still pretty slow. For my Serperior I went with Modest and Choice Specs, and just spammed Leaf Storm. I think the only thing he can't OHKO at +6 is Max HP/Max Special Def Ferrothorn.

Another couple minor changes you may want to try:

Run Max Atk, Max Sp. Def and Flame Orb on Conkeldurr. After a couple Bulk Up's, he can power through almost anything, and heal off the burn damage with Drain Punch.

252 HP, 252 Def Bold Volcarona@leftovers. If you beef up his physical defenses, he's almost impossible to take down after a few Quiver Dances. For some added survivablity you can switch out Psychic for Morning Sun. If not I'd still suggest changing Psychic to Hidden Power Ground, to give you a way to hurt Heatran, and to a lesser extent, Chandelure.

So volcarona or latios first of all? Who is a decent choice to replace carracosta? And what move should go on Serperior on a choice set?

Edit: i messed with Latios and it really just didnt fit well. I lost serious coverage without Volcarona so i think it's going to go back in. I'm still looking to remove carracosta, so help with that please

Also, to Scizor, i tried out Guts/Flame Orb on Conkeldurr. I didn't like it much, because the Burn damage really conflicted with Bulks Ups trying to increase it's staying power.

you could alaways try going with swampert instead of carracosta or i found this to be pertty good is actually krookadile with max sp.d and max attack,beaucse krookadile is actually pretty decent defensivally and so far you got here but depends on what type of wall your looking for,are you looking for a physical,spical or mixed wall.
But i have recentley made a team and on it as a wall i have a mixed wall and you will never guess what it is......Its a Dragonite, ya multi-scale dragonite with max hp with the rest into a combination of spical and physical with making it (+def,-sp.A) with 156 evs into sp.D and 4 evs into speed,the allready stated 252 hp evs and then the rest into defense with whatever moves you want.(i prefer dragon claw,roost,thunder punch and fire punch)then fortress can tank whatever dragonite cannot.Also i enjoy helping you beacuse you remind me of myself when i started on smogon.

I'm actually not new here. I've been here quite a while before but i forgot my username and had to get a new one. I've competitive battled a lot in 4th Gen but im just now getting into 5th Gen. So i'm considering a swampert, i'll see how it does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)