OU team in the making, how's it look?

Been doing a bit of revision and rework on my offensive GenIV OU team, a few things in here that may not be the norm, but what do you guys think of it? (And yes I do prefer the originals, as you might've noticed hehe)

Lead Aerodactyl
Pressure
Jolly
Wide Lens
HP/Def/Spe
252/100/158 (to outspeed Timid 252 Starmie, and other stuff that aims to just do the same, also take crucial hits such as Adamant 252 Scizor's Bullet Punch)
Stealth Rock (the main purpose)
Rock Slide (99% accurate due to Wide Lens)
Earthquake (Edgequake combo)
Taunt (prevent anything else setting up)
Intended to set up Stealth Rock and then either weaken the opponent before dying to make an easier finish for the switch-in, or switch out and bite back late. However if facing certain leads I may simply switch and set up Stealth Rock late, such as switching Weavile into Starmie's Ice Beam, or Machamp into Flygon's Stone Edge etc.

Weavile
Pressure
Jolly
Expert Belt
HP/Att/Spe
58/252/200 (to outspeed Timid 252 Starmie)
Ice shard
Ice punch (a more fearsome attack for those 2x weak to ice)
Brick Break (I know low kick is generally advised, but I wish to OHKO houndoom, for bulkier stuff there's Machamp)
Pursuit
Pretty standard attacker really, deals with basically whatever is weak to its attacks (no shortage of potential victims there), which makes expert belt ideal for a good boost without recoil damage or getting stuck on one move.

Starmie
Natural Cure
Timid
Life Orb
HP/SpA/Spe
6/252/252
Surf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Rapid Spin
Yep... I think this one's self-explanatory really. Gives some fast offensive coverage and deals with entry hazards.

Dragonite
Inner Focus
Adamant
Muscle Band
HP/Att/Spe
78/252/180 (after one dragon dance will outspeed and OHKO our old friend... Timid 252 Starmie, who may well want to come in and foolishly try to counter with Ice Beam)
Dragon Claw
Fire Punch
Extremespeed
Dragon Dance
Intended to come in on a resisted attack and set about either standard attacking, Dragon Dance for some faster and heavier hits, or Extremespeed for a revenge kill/finisher (or just give a quick whack to something sinister).

Machamp
No Guard
Jolly
Choice Scarf
HP/Att/Spe
42/252/216 (to outspeed +Speed natured 252 base 100 speed group)
Dynamicpunch
Stone Edge
Ice Punch (for anything 4x weak mainly)
Fire Punch (as above plus Skarmory)
This may be surprising, who would waste their precious Choice Scarf of a Machamp? This element of surprise only works as an advantage when opponents such as poor Scizor, Gliscor, and other victims see the four-armed menace switch in and try to hit it with an Aerial-Ace or something of similar effect the next turn... Basically by outspeeding a ship-full of stuff that would never consider the possibility of this happening it can dish out some serious pain and leave unsuspecting opponents lying in a pool of their own disbelief.

Dodrio (yes that's right, the first pokemon seen in ep1, not on a TV or Ash's imagination XD)
Early Bird
Lonely
Focus Sash
Att/Spe
255/255
Drill Peck
Flail
Endeavor
Quick Attack
Yes that's right, flail AND F.E.A.R on a Dodrio! Minimal defenses to get down to 1HP when hit by something offensive, then smash stuff up. Works as an excellent Breloom counter due to Early Bird and Drill Peck (switch in on Breloom before it puts up a Substitute for 5/6 win chance, it can't lose unless the initial sleep counter is 6/6, and if Breloom switches out Dodrio still has a 5/6 chance to wake up intime for the next useful attack). Maximised base 110 attack with STAB flail at 1HP destroys just about anything that doesn't resist it, Endeavor for anything that may survive (aka resist) flail, and Quick Attacks to finish... perhaps slightly on the gimicky side, but it will certainly dish out the pain (unless the opponent is a bulky ghost). I'm aware that it is likely to get revenge killed immediately, or rendered a 1-turn all-or-nothing by sandstorm, but used later in the match in sandstorms absence (basically when Breloom comes out or whenever else seems to be an opportune moment) it may be able to avoid this, or atleast switch out and come back to strike again later. All that said it's one of my favorite pokemon which is just as important!

That's a solid looking team (of course I'm doubtful of Dodrio, but if it works for you, okay~).
I look at it though, and I see Jolteon can easily put a dent in the team one Aerodactyl's cleared. Jolteon can live Dragonite's Extremespeed and send a HP Ice right back, therefore clearing its path to do a lot of damage.
Aerodactyl COULD afford to run less speed EVs as well, and invest more in defenses or Attack, as it only needs 136 EVs to outspeed Timid Starmie.

That's a solid looking team (of course I'm doubtful of Dodrio, but if it works for you, okay~).
I look at it though, and I see Jolteon can easily put a dent in the team one Aerodactyl's cleared. Jolteon can live Dragonite's Extremespeed and send a HP Ice right back, therefore clearing its path to do a lot of damage.
Aerodactyl COULD afford to run less speed EVs as well, and invest more in defenses or Attack, as it only needs 136 EVs to outspeed Timid Starmie.
Thanks for the feedback! But I calculated at 136 Aerodactyle would only speed-tie with Starmie (and would need 140 to outspeed). I stuck another 18 EVs on to get a jump on other stuff aiming to beat Starmie.

Good point about Jolteon, although I'd could make a choice of what I let it kill if need be, then have Dodrio take a would-be-OHKO and deliver a nice base 300 Flail in return (Most of this team make the annoying Breloom cry anyway).

I've checked three times now and 136 EVs is what puts Aero at 363 Speed.
But since you have the extras for anything else creeping in that zone, then it doesn't matter.

Oh hang on of course... I was also aiming to outspeed for lvl 50 flat battles (alot of my friends cba to grind to 100 and I don't blame them!) where starmie hits 183, and at 136EV aerodactyl also hits 183... like you said though since I'm aiming to get a jump on others lurking at the same marker it doesn't really make a difference. :)

get rid of the dodrio. im not trying to be an ass but get that shit out of here this is OU lol :). switch it for a scarfed staraptor, put a band on ur machamp or give it a lum berry+sub+3 attacks and you need someone with more bulk on the team, maybe a cresselia or you could try a milotic if you want. bulky rachi is also an option in place of aerodactyl.

Dodrio is great though! Sure it's got it's flaws, but it is nothing short of essential on this team (and has thus far eliminated the need for anything too bulky), and there's nothing, not one other pokemon, out there that fills the same niche.

If there's anything I'm wondering about it's Dragonite, a Scizor is my primary thought there, looking but not seeing anything else that would fill it's role yet... need something not too frail, access to fairly strong priority, and preferably a stat booster (a fire move would be nice too). If it's not too much to ask then better speed off-the-bat would be nice.

get rid of the dodrio. im not trying to be an ass but get that shit out of here this is OU lol :). switch it for a scarfed staraptor, put a band on ur machamp or give it a lum berry+sub+3 attacks and you need someone with more bulk on the team, maybe a cresselia or you could try a milotic if you want. bulky rachi is also an option in place of aerodactyl.
oh btw what is a rachi?

Fair enough I'm none too familiar with the abreviations... I wondered if it was a typo for Raichu lol! :P

Definately looks good and bulky etc, and a lead weak only to ground and fire paired up with dancing Dragonite is tempting... but not sure if I have enough free time this side of the next olympics to actually get one and breed it (nearly 31k steps to hatch? Ouch)!

I'll give it a shot though if I find myself with a few weeks to kill sometime thanks for mentioning that! :)

Thinking along those lines... I'm now considering replacing areodactyl with a Brave Bronzong, using Custap Berry/Leftovers, Stealth Rock, Gyro Ball, Earthquake, Explosion. (HP/Att/Def 252/252/6)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)