OU Team: The Returner (5th Gen)

Introduction:

Hey, it's been quite some time since I actually battled on the smogon server, but luckily they finally made PO for mac (hurray.) My reason for asking for a RMT, is because while I think it works so far, there could be obvious improvements. A friend of mine mentioned to me that currently it's underneath the metagame, and that it particularly doesn't fit well. Below I will list my current team and thinking / methodology behind it. I hope you'll be able to help me.

Lead:

Nature: Naive // Ability: Levitate //Item: Focus Sash
EVs: 4 DEF // 252 Sp. Atk // 252 SPD
Moveset: Taunt // Fire Blast // Stealth Rock // Explosion

Reasoning: I chose this as my lead because of the capability of usually getting the first taunt off, barring an Aerodactyl, Deoxys-S, or Whimsicott lead. After said Taunt, I will put up stealth rock, then once said task is completed, if it's weak to fire, I will Fire Blast. Providing it is not, I will usually just explode, but I've noticed that Explosion is significantly weaker. (A possible thought I was was replacing this with Deoxys-S, for the spikes.)

Nature: Bold // Ability: Water Absorb // Item: Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP // 252 DEF // 4 SPD
Moveset: Protect // Scald // Toxic // Wish

Reasoning: This is a standard wish support Vaporeon, which through my testing has served me pretty well. Usually if I can get a toxic on, barring Magic Guard / Reuniclous, it makes things significantly easier. The Scald is for the stab and possibility to burn, but I don't know how useful that is, if I am using Toxic.

Nature: Jolly // Ability: Moxie // Item: Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP // 252 ATK // 252 SPD
Moveset: Dragon Dance // Waterfall // Earthquake // Stone Edge

Reasoning: Standard DDdos, which has served me well through the testing of this team. It's the one Pokemon that has gotten the majority of sweeps for me, while battling. Setting up isn't particularly too hard, then once he gets going I can pretty much sweep a whole team providing it doesn't get stopped, since Moxie keeps building and building.

Nature: Adamant // Ability: Inner Focus // Item: Life Orb
Moveset: Swords Dance // Crunch // Close Combat // Extremespeed

Reasoning: The reason I put a Lucario in my team is because in Generation IV it served me quite well, so I figured it'd be capable of doing the same in this current metagame. After talking to my friend after battling him in OU, he mentioned to me that perhaps it could possibly be the one I replace with something else. I've noticed that there are more counters to this now, but with the chances I have taken with SD, sometimes they work out. (Possibly switch it with a banded Azu to handle sandstorm Excadrill.)

Nature: Adamant // Ability: Technician // Item: Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP // 252 ATK // 8 SPD
Moveset: Bullet Punch // Super Power // Pursuit // U-Turn

Reasoning: I have a Scizor in my team because of it's capability of trapping ghosts, latias, latios, and anything else weak to pursuit. U-Turn is also nice because I can send it out to scout, providing the opponent doesn't have a move that my Scizor is weak too. BP is for priority, for if they're weak against or take normal damage against Steel type moves.

Nature: Adamant // Ability: Speed Boost // Item: Life Orb
Moveset: Hi Jump Kick // Flare Blitz // Stone Edge // Swords Dance

Reasoning: After doing some research for a member for my team (Reading the OU Analysis on Smogon and seeing the change), I decided on this to bring up the rear. Ultimately, I am some what happy with it, providing that I'm capable of getting a SD off, with the speed boosts coming one after the other. So far I really enjoy it, but don't know if I want to base a team around it.

Final Word: Through all of the battles I've done (none ranked, until I figure out the quirks), I've really come to like this team.

The issue is, I know I'm missing something, whether it be a Pokemon or two, or a move set perhaps. As it stands now, I get utterly destroyed by sandstorm Excadrill, unless my Vaporeon can somehow withstand an Earth Quake, to counter with Scald. Also, some stall teams, give me a problem, so I must be missing a strong wall breaker.

Possibly Pokemon I've been thinking of to replace a few members: Banded Azumarill (to counter excadrill and have a strong priority attack vs non-resistant / weak to water Pokemon), a CM Latios (in place of either Blaziken or Lucario) to have something that can deal Special Damage, Scarf TTar (in place of lucario or blaziken) to outspeed pokemon and be able to revenge kill.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and will appreciate any advice that I can get. Take care~

Honestly his team is rather old fashioned and not up to times. Leads are non existent in the metagame now, thanks to the new team preview before a battle. I suggest changing Azelf to a Reuniclus and Lucario to a COnkeldurr. Both of you team are outclassed by these twwo threats in this metagame. Lucario + Azelf are almost non existent anymore, with the rare exception every now and again.

Next you might want to give Gyarados so bulk and Intimidate. It really does help in the long run when trying to get a Dragon Dance or a couple.

GL

To be honest I'm shocked you're having trouble with Stall teams. You're running SD Life Orb Stone Edge Blaziken, a set with one counter if you get the SD up (Slowbro), as well as DD Gyarados (not a threat widely prepared for, but I guess Ferrothorn + Rotom-W being common hurts it somewhat). You also have SD Lucario, another stall breaking threat rarely prepared for or seen. Anyway, I have a few edits that I think can help the team out. I'm going to try to keep the team focused on the high speed offensive pace that makes it so effective.

I definitely support making Azelf into a Deoxys-S. The idea of Spikes backing up your sweepers is too good to pass up in my opinion. Azelf really got nerfed because Explosion is hitting at half power this generation, so this is a better fit. Try this set:

Deoxys-S @ Focus Sash
Timid / Pressure
252 HP / 4 Special Attack / 252 Speed
Ice Beam
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Taunt

I thought about using SR + Spikes + two coverage moves because its a really mean lead on offensive teams, but then I realized that you dont fear Scizor or Tyranitar much as all, so I scrapped the idea :P Ice Beam is to hit Mischevious Heart Pokemon like Thunderus, Tornadus, and Whimsicott, while max speed + Taunt gives you a good shot at beating opposing Deo-S leads.

I think using Azumarril over Vaporeon is a good idea. It makes a fantastic revenge killer for Pokemon like Excadrill, Terakion, and Volcarona with Aqua Jet, and can put the hurt on almost every Pokemon in the metagame with Waterfall + entry hazards. Because I think you are going to have a really tough time against Jellicent, especially if you can't find time for Blaziken to SD up (+2 Stone Edge kos no problem), you might try a Leftovers set with Toxic just to screw with it. I think with entry hazard support the loss in power from CB might not be too devasting. Try a spread of 248 HP / 252 Attack / 8 Speed with an Adamant Nature and Leftovers, and a set of Aqua Jet / Waterfall / SuperPower / Toxic.

Now, in the place of Gyarados I suggest Latios. You're focused on breaking down the physical walls on the opponent's team to sweep, I get that, but Gyarados is bringing in stuff like Rotom-W, who can proceed to Will O Wisp / Thunderbolt / Hydro Pump your team into oblivion. Latios walls Rotom-W, while also checking stuff like CM Virizion (actually with all its power Latias checks basically everything under 110 speed heh). Because you actually want TTar / Scizor coming in because Lucario / Blaziken can set up, its the perfect fit. It also holds many of the same resistances as Gyarados. With hazards, Latios is almost impossible to switch into. Try this set:

Latios @ Choice Specs
Timid / Levitate
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Surf
-Psyshock
-Trick

No HP Fire because you dont fear Scizor with the rest of your team. Trick will help against CM Reuniclus if Scizor has been trapped or something, as well as any other annoying Pokemon you encounter. Psyshock beats down Jellicent, Fighters, and Blissey / Chansey pretty well. Surf 2HKO's the "good" Latios counters, Scizor and TTar, especially with hazards. Basically all that can stand up to this guy if hazards are up is a Specially Defensive Jirachi, who you can set up on with Lucario or Blaziken so whatever. This guy should absolutely wreck opponent's cores, only to draw out Pokemon you take advantage of. Also rapes Slowbro, who you dont like a whole lot.

Finally, I'd consider Balloon and Ice Punch on Lucario. It helps take down Gliscor, who is often used against Blaziken, as well as check Excadrill / gain free set up on Earthquakes. Blaziken is your real powerhouse so the loss in power from Life Orb shouldn't be too bad.

With those changes I think you're all set, good luck with the team!

I agree with everything the above user said except that deoxys-s should run magic coat over Ice beam to bounce back taunt at mischeieveous heart users

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)