OU team volt-turn and duel trapping (Peeked 1700 and rising)

rotom-wash.gif
donphan.gif
talonflame.gif
scizor.gif
magnezone.gif
pinsir-mega.gif

Hello ladies and gentlemen!

Today I'm bringing you volt-turn with the trapping effect. I've always though volt-turn was the best playing style, allowing plenty of switching all around, and lot's of switching means it's easy to trap and eliminate the walls.

Teambuilding process

I wanted to start up with something that would, with 100% certainty, be highly effective. And what better pokemon than Rotom-W?
rotom-wash.gif
So I'm guessing everybody's familiar with the common offensive core consisting of Scizor + Rotom-W? Well so do I! And the second member was established!
rotom-wash.gif scizor.gif
So already the time is look nice as crap. But I wanted something to get rid of hazards, since hazards are a pain to volt-turn. And AV Donphan was added!
rotom-wash.gifscizor.gifdonphan.gif
So the time is looking cool as ever, with a nice core and hazards of the field. I wanted to have some powerful priority though, since Scizors bulletpunch is powerful, but it's not to fast. Considering the speed of other priority users. Thus Talonflame created it's solid spot on the team.
rotom-wash.gif scizor.gif donphan.gif talonflame.gif
Team's now taking a nice shape, with some powerful pokes. I was looking for something to fill the void before adding my mega, and I decided to add Landorus-T
rotom-wash.gif scizor.gif donphan.gif talonflame.gif landorus-therian.gif
So with that I encountered the task of adding a mega to my team, and I usually just pick the most broken mega in the team, and that's of course Mega-Pinsir, the biggest threat in OU at the moment.
rotom-wash.gif scizor.gif donphan.gif talonflame.gif landorus-therian.gif pinsir-mega.gif
So the team was finished and I went on to laddering. I got to about 1300 when I realised something on this team was holding me back. I experienced an ice weakness and a skarmory weakness. Skarmory was preventing my Pinsir from sweeping, because of the ability to take a plus 4+ return while surviving with 35%. So I replaced Landorus-T with magnezone, to trap things like Klefki and Skarmory.
rotom-wash.gif scizor.gif donphan.gif talonflame.gif magnezone.gif pinsir-mega.gif
So the team was standing proud. With few weakness and highly effective i quickly escalated up the ladder, reaching 1700ish and rising. How I played with this team was mainly switching between Rotom-W, Scizor and Talonflame until i got the opportunity to trap something countering Pinsir, mainly skarmory. Or things that were in KOHO range for pursuit from the powerful monster that is banded Scizor.

Not broken (Pinsir) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack

Omg... This thing is too good... I decided to pick Pinsir because it's amazing offensive capabilities
Even though it's typing horribly sucks defensively with the 4x rock weakness, it's amazing offensive. After I've trapped and damaged it's counters I make easy work of my opponents team, decimating it with Mega-Pinsir trusty horns.

Dumbo (Donphan) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SDef
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge

After Conkuldurr I'm placing Donphan as the second best Assault vest user. Assault vest allowing it to live Sheer force + Life orb boosted ice beams from Nidoking, Hydro pumps from Rotom-W and HP ice from Thundurus. It takes a lot of hit's before falling and often allows me to get a rapid spin of.

Mr. Washington (Rotom-Wash) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SAtk / 196 SDef / 56 Spd
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Washi-Washi-doodle-doo. Do I even have to explain why this thing is amazing and deserves it's spot as the most used pokemon in the OU tier? Yes? Okay. The only thing that's a threat to rotom is basically grass types and special defensive behemoths, such as Latias, Chansey and Blissey. Investing 56 in speed is to outspeed Jolly max speed azumarill, even though set up sweepers aren't a problem, because of the fact that four of my pokemon have priority.

Based God (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Defog

Scizor is awesome. Awesome sprite, awesome ability, awesome stats and awesome movepool. The keyword is awesome. Unfortunately, scizor is the first pokemon in my offensive core that usually dies first, or get's victimized by burn.

Magnepwned (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon

Before Magnezone Skarmory was the biggest threat to this team, now i'll u-turn with scizor and trap it. It usually happens very early in the game, clearing the path for Mega-Pinsir to sweep. Not many people expect scarf and usually get caught of guard, I've killed many Garchomps, Salamences and Dragonites with him.

BB all the things (Talonflame) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- U-turn

The king of priority himself. Incredible powerful brave birds strike through the enemy lines, making the blood in their veins freeze. I've always been a fan of Talonflame, the priority brave bird was enough to get this feathery bird with mediocre stats up to OU where it ravages the weak, frail class cannons.

So this is the team, hope you guys liked it and will enjoy using it on the ladder. I'm Jernmax and thanks for reading ^^

Not broken (Pinsir) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack

Dumbo (Donphan) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SDef
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge

Mr. Washington (Rotom-Wash) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SDef / 56 Spd
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Based God (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Defog

Magnepwned (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon

BB all the things (Talonflame) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- U-turn

Last edited:
Hey! Seems to be a good team.
I just have one suggestion. Maybe you should use frustration over return, because usually, ditto is max hapiness (I think).
Also, I'm wondering why 8 SpA on Rotom-W.
Will probably try the team soon in order to give a better rate, and will edit the message with the feedback.
That's all for now :)

Hey! Seems to be a good team.
I just have one suggestion. Maybe you should use frustration over return, because usually, ditto is max hapiness (I think).
Also, I'm wondering why 8 SpA on Rotom-W.
Will probably try the team soon in order to give a better rate, and will edit the message with the feedback.
That's all for now :)
Good idea, I've replaced return with frustration. And I don't know why I put 8. SpA on Rotom-W, what else should I invest it in?

I think you should change change talonflame to adamant. It doesnt need anymore speed and u'll be bravebirding pretty much everything so the extra power would be good, i think. Hope i helped

surely talonflame can just kill it with bb?
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 325-384 (113.6 - 134.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (adamant)
252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 297-349 (103.8 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO (jolly)
so wouldnt it be better to have extra power for other stuff?
Tell me if im not understanding something, cause that way i can be aware of anything important if im using a talonflame against a greninja

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)