OU team

Hey, fellow Smogoners! I'm addict22, and this is my first RMT. You may have battled me on Shoddy. And won. Several times. This team is a bit pathetic, and quite unbalanced, too. I hope you can help sort me out!

The Team:

LEAD

Adamant Metagross@Occa Berry
248 HP / 232 Atk / 28 Spe
~ Stealth Rock
~ Earthquake
~ Meteor Mash
~ Bullet Punch

My lead. It would be pretty useful against normal OU leads, except I'm so low on the ladder that all I get are gimmicky UU and NU leads. Which manage to do their job, somehow. Machamp tends to destroy this guy with Dynamicpunch. Metagross, cool as he is, really is just a small nuisance for most of my opponents. No idea what to replace him with though. No Explosion because, as someone once rightly said on a thread I read once, Metagross is often too slow to pull it off in a pinch.

COVERAGE UTILITY

Naive Infernape@Expert Belt
64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
~ Fire Blast
~ Close Combat
~ Grass Knot
~ Hidden Power Ice

Specially-based MixApe off the Infernape page, except with Expert Belt in lieu of Life Orb. Means he doesn't take unnecessary recoil damage, but lacks the power boost in some situations. I don't know whether to put the LO back on him. Performance-wise, he was doing OK higher up the ladder, but, again, now sort of acts like another small nuisance.

SPECIAL SWEEPER

Timid Gengar@Life Orb
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Shadow Ball
~ Thunderbolt
~ Focus Blast
~ Explosion

Standard LOgar. The guy has saved my butt a few times against slower sweepers such as CM Suicune in the early setup stages, but epically fails against ScarfTran, like the rest of my team. I have considered Scarfing him, though I hate switching out all the time to change moves. HP Fire's IV drops in Speed and Special Attack scared me too much to use it, but I might if persuaded.

CHOICE BANDER

Adamant Scizor@Choice Band:Technician
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
~ U-turn
~ Bullet Punch
~ Superpower
~ Pursuit

CB Scizor. What can I say? Er... what CAN I say? He helps delay my defeat by about three to four turns. I've got a feeling I don't use him early enough but he really doesn't have that much coverage with his moves at all, so I normally find no reason to switch this guy in until Infernape, Gengar and Flygon have fainted. Bullet Punch has helped revenge leads that Metagross narrowly missed KOing before. Superpower is annoying in terms of the stat drop. All in all, CB Scizor hasn't proved to be the OHKO monster it's described as on my team. Not enough support, maybe?

TANK

Sassy Bronzong@Leftovers:Levitate
252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SpD (IVs: 2 Spe)
~ Stealth Rock
~ Hidden Power Ice
~ Payback
~ Earthquake

Delays defeat by about ten turns. Best tank anyone could ask for. Though he's no sweeper, his coverage nets me about one or two super-effective KOs every match. Stealth Rock is often necessary as I often concentrate on using Metagross to KO the other lead instead of SRing. I think the other three guarantee me at least a neutral hit on everything. Not thinking about replacing this guy really, unless my team undergoes major restructuring.

REVENGE KILLER (of sorts)

Jolly Flygon@Life Orb
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~ Earthquake
~ Roost
~ Dragon Claw
~ Stone Edge

The Physical LO set off Flygon's page. I'm quite happy with this guy. Pretty powerful, lots of resists, two immunities... lacks the speed of Scarfgon though, which is a pain when I switch into Heatran, hoping it's not Scarfed. Zapdos with HP Ice normally nets a KO on it, weakened as it gets because of Life Orb. Roost sometimes works to heal off the recoil. I don't know whether I'm really using him to his full potential.

And that's that. Winning with this team is a rare occurence, and it's often too close a match to be considered a proper win. PLEASE HELP!!!

EDIT: Currently testing Parallel's Swampert replacement for Bronzong

Your team has a massive weakness to both Fire and EQ, and Bronzong seems to be doing little for your team, so i think the perfect replacement is a swampert:

Swampert (relaxed) @ Leftovers
EV's: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpD
-Stealth Rock
-EQ
-Ice Beam
-Surf

This should cover most of your weakneses and provide some good coverage for your team. I was tempted to reccomend a cursepert, but you mentioned that you don't generally put SR up with metagross, and i've seen some effective post-lead SR set ups.

I'd say LeadGross isn't doing much for this team at all, and have Bronzong on the team doubles up your weakness to Fire. Lead Heatran would fix that!

Item: Shuca Berry Nature: Naive/Timid
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Earth Power
-Explosion/ Taunt/ HP Grass
252 Sp. Atk/ 4 Sp. Def/ 252 Speed

Keep Bronzong, they have next to perfect synergy. You have so many Levitators that you can switch to any one of them if you fear the LeadTran is in danger, but Shuca and Heatrans defenses should allow you to live most Ground attacks. I would recommend not using Explosion, and going for either Taunt or HP Grass. Then use a Timid Nature.

Next up change Flygon to the Revenge Killer Set, without Scarf, Flygon isn't really much use to this team, seeing as almost everything he was covering was already covered, and now you beat non-defensive Zapdos.

Item: Choice Scarf Nature: Adamant
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-U-Turn
-Stone Edge/ Fire Punch
4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Speed

If Zapdos is still a problem, then use Stone Edge, if you've now got him under control I'd opt for Fire Punch.

That's about it, Good Luck with the team!

wow! thanks, guys! i'll try both of your suggestions out (though not at once, obviously, because parallel wants bronzong out unlike nozizaki :toast:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)