Project OU Teambuilding Competition V9 (Done! See you all in Sun & Moon)

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Roost

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

Explanation:
I chose mega sceptile for the mega on this team in order to celebrate the week of sceptile on smogon. So here is the team. First off is mega sceptile itself I chose the substitute set pretty straight forward set that doesn’t need much to say but you set up a sub to take on incoming mons and recover with giga drain. Next is to somehow eliminate mons that checks and/or counter mega sceptile because I shouldn’t rely on focus blast to hit for heatran and non-specially defensive skarmory. So, rotom-wash was added to stop those and also stop talonflame from sweeping. Noticing that I need a set-up sweeper that has fun with ferrothorn and beats zard-y and special altaria or physical by setting up with it to a certain extent and that is bulk up talonflame. Next, I needed speed control but also a mon that could get rid of hazards so scarf excadrill works. Then, I need something that stops the twins from killing everything with rocks. So, thunder wave clef with rocks will provide a check to a good amount of dragons. FInally, I need a wall breakers for those fatter teams that also checks specs keldeo from sweeping the team so specs dragalge. And that's the team. If you don’t get the sets please look it up on the pokedex because it is very helpful.

A perfect example of how the team works plus turn 28 was amazing. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-331772723

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Alright time to finish this round. Great submissions all around

Time to vote!

Team 1

you found me (Houndoom) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 40 HP / 8 Def / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp

nothing (Reuniclus) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Recover

demons (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 120 Def / 28 SpD / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

the A team (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

m00ns nemesis (Whimsicott) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Taunt
- Giga Drain
- Stun Spore

iris (Scizor) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
Mega Houndoom team. Added Reuniclus for the stallbreaking prowess so I never have to worry about it again, and Mega Houndoom takes on Mega Sableye that Reuniclus has problems handling. Landorus-T for rocks. Keldeo punishes Tyranitar switch-ins for Mega Houndoom. Offensive Scizor to clean up after Mega Houndoom as well as some priority. Whimsicott destroys m00ns and eases set-up for both Scizor and Mega Houndoom if necessary.

Team 2

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 44 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Slack Off
- Earthquake

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
This is my take on an MChomp+Hippo team. I have hazards outta the wazoo,and a Bisharp+Starmie to control the hazards game. Chople Ferro is a lure to check MVoir better and eliminate Keldeo which is a pain for Bisharp to deal with otherwise,while the Garchomp set is a neat bit of innovation that can bluff a Mix'd set and then go to town late game after its check have been weakened enough. Lum Berry on Bisharp is to help me setup/kill Mew if it is in on Sharp and decides to be cute and WoW me,the Talonflame here is a really solid glue, holding everything together,checking ZardY,Gengar,Lando-I and various other things that the rest of the team doesn't want to deal with,Chople Ferro also lets me stay in stuff like MVoir and other stuff that normally really threatens balance. Starmie is obviously here for Rapid Spin,but also serves a role on the team as my second Keldeo,I obviously need to have a secondary Keldeo check in case of facing Keldeo+Pursuit builds hence the Chople Ferrothorn. This team thrives on whittling down threats into range for SD Garchomp which is a terrific late game sweeper,especially with the help of hazards which this team adequately provides.

This team thrives on controlling hazards be it through Bisharp or via Rapid Spin with Starmie,so it becomes quickly apparent that MSableye can be a pain for this team and to a lesser extent MDiancie. MSableye is taken care of by Bulk Up Talonflame,while Mixed Defensive Hippowdon,and Ferrothorn check MDiancie reasonably well. Sand Force Mega Garchomp needs very little help to plough through opposing teams,especially after an SD,but there will be times when it is to your adavantage to remain to not Mega Evolve to take advantage of base form Garchomp's higher base speed,so be sure to keep that in mind. Remember Mega Garchomp in the back is your wincon versus bulkier teams,so be sure not to let it get too weakened early game, Smooth Rock Hippowdon is also an option to give Mega Garchomp more turns to mess with the opponents team,but seeing as how its supposed to sweep late game I felt that Leftovers' passive recovery would be of more use to this team.

Team 3

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP / 220 Atk / 4 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Substitute

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power Fire
- Ice Beam

Talonflame
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp
Picked MegaScep (don't ask me why). MegaScep & Gyara are friends 4 life, since the first can easily dispatch those bulky waters, pesky electrics or physical walls who hinder a Gyara sweep, while the latter can sub vs special walls and just punch holes after a couple of DDs. Rocky Helmet Lando was added 'cause it forms a nice double Intimidate core with Gyara + all the good things the standard Rocks set does. AV Meta joined the party since Clef/Fairies in general are a big problem and I needed to at least check a portion of the specially offensive spectrum of the metagame. Hazards suck so I threw in Offensive Starmie who btw also lures Ferro and Scizor with HP Fire (they would otherwise be a pretty big pain in the ass). Talon rounds up everything and is another wincon, also forming a nice specially defensive core with Meta and providing the team with some always useful priority.

Team 4

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 200 HP / 124 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leaf Storm / Substitute
This is a team I made really quickly because a friend of me wanted to play with SubCM Chandelure and Mega Sceptile fit pretty well in the end. SubCM Chandelure + BD Azu was the core the team started with. Chandelure has a really easy time against bulky teams but against offensive teams it lacks the speed and common pokemon like Tyranitar can beat it pretty easily. BD Azumarill takes advantage of a choice locked Tyranitar, while also providing strong priority to help against threats such as Excadrill and Weavile. Jolly Knock Off Azu beats many common checks like Rotom-W and Amoonguss and the only pokemon that really take a hit is Mega Venusaur, which still takes 80% if offensive, and is setupfodder for Chandelure if defensive.
Tyranitar + Excadrill is a standard offensive core which provides hazard control and a way to beat threats such as Clefable, Latios and offensive electric types. Team was pretty Bisharp weak but I didn't see a really reliable way to deal with it that fit in the team at the moment so I went a bit more gimmicky and used Aura Sphere Togekiss in order to lure in Bisharp. It also does a lot do Excadrill, Heatran and Tyranitar. 200 HP is enough to survive a +2 Sucker Punch from Bisharp after you switched in with Stealth Rock up twice. Finally Sceptile was added to help break bulky water types and revengekill pokemon like Manaphy, Mega Medicham and Kyurem-B.
Team did pretty well when tested (9-0 on midladder and challenges). Threats are the same threats standard offense struggles with but I have ways to deal with all of the threats in some way:
- Excadrill. If Adamant, Excadrill outspeeds and OHKO's. Sceptile can take a hit against Balloon sets and Azu can revengekill with Aqua Jet (does around 70%)
- Bisharp. It only gets setup opportunities against Tyranitar and even after it has set up it has to deal with Togekiss. Chandelure and Sceptile (if sub) can play mindgames and Excadrill can take an unboosted Sucker Punch
- Water types. No real switchins to water types (surprise surprise @ offensive team) Rotom-W is annoying but is stopped after Mega Sceptile Mega Evo'd and can also be worn down by Togekiss and Chandelure and lured in by Jolly Azumarill. Ice Beam Manaphy is annoying but just play careful with Sceptile, Azumarill and Excadrill and you can deal with it. Same with Azumarill and Keldeo kinda.
- Mega Lopunny. Again no real switchins but Azumarill, Togekiss, Excadrill and MSceptile win 1v1.

While there are some big threats to the team, none of them will win by matchup. Hazards, sand damage, priority and high speed from Excadrill and Mega Sceptile help beat most offensive threats.

If you have any ways of improving this team without removing many things please let me know after this round ends.

Team 5

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Roost

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
someone already beat me to the megachomp team, but i'll post mine. not a lot to say about the build honestly, it's just really generic megachomp sand. anyway, i feel megachomper is incredibly underrated as a breaker, thing cuts through so many teams once sand is up and it's fairly bulky so its living a bunch of attacks that would kill regular chomp, especially after lo recoil and all that. so yeah, solid breaker, best to pair with ttar and exca which just lets you cover most playstyles with garchomp and exca overwhelming stuff like lando-t for exca to run wild and break offense while garchomp breaks balance and stall pretty well. amoonguss is an incredible mon on sand, checks a ton of threatening mons in rotom, keld, azu, loom. it's so good. latios helps with zard y and annoying things like venu and helps ease pressure off amoonguss when it comes to keldeo and stuff. scarf keldeo was a nice fit because it helps v darks and ive got pursuit support so yeah. i think this team is pretty solid, it's picked up a grand total of 2 wins so far in ost so its gotta be good.

Team 6

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Protect

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 168 HP / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 12 Spe
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
Mega Beedrill + Zone + Azu was a Good Cores post I made a little while ago, so I decided to build a team around it because it fit the description for this week. To recap; Beedrill and Azu both appreciate Zone trapping steels, and zone appreciates their ability to weaken bulky Grounds.
I went with Jolly BD Azu on this variant to weaken Mega Venu, and put it in range of Mega Beedrill's Poison Jab or U-Turn, because in general Mega Venu is annoying. Being able to bop slow Rotoms is nice support for Beedrill, Torn, and Garchomp too.
I'm packing Tank Chomp because this is ORAS and I needed a Rocker, and a switchin to Bisharp, and Talonflame.
Torn-T is my Serp, Gengar, Alakazam switchin, with HP Ice to weaken Landorus and Gliscor for Beedrill.
Lastly, Clef is there again because this is ORAS, and I wanted a mon to beat Mega Sableye, as well as a nice Mega Mane check. Having an actual boosting wincon was nice too.

Team 7

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 152 SpD / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Mirror Coat
- Toxic Spikes

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
This is a pretty solid hazard stacking build made around an interesting mon in mega fabio. Fabio is so nice since it can check so many threats to common stall builds like mpinsir, zardy, and LO tornt. It also is a pretty solid pivot with volt switch that can get in other mons. Skarm is my primary check to faries like garde, diancie, and clef while also providing a valuable mon to beat physical attackers like weavile and ttar, and it can shuffle around the opposing team to rack up damage as well as stack up spikes to make grounded mons get worn down quickly. Clef is a solid wincon that provides a secondary weavile check as well as a check to kyub and mhera among other threats to stall. Talonflame is a secondary check to fairies as well as stuff like msab and LO serp that threatened the team, and it provided a secondary wincon with bulk up. Tentacruel was the obligatory hazard removal on the talon build, and it was a nice manaphy check for the team. Mirror coat is a cool move to lure in manaphy and kill it. This set is EV'd to tank a +3 psychic 100% of the time and respond with mirror coat. Lastly, hippo is a nice check for elecs and talon among other mons that can trouble these kinds of builds, and it provides a secondary shuffler with whirlwind that can further wear down the opposing team.

Team 8

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Talonflame
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Roost

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
Explanation:
I chose mega sceptile for the mega on this team in order to celebrate the week of sceptile on smogon. So here is the team. First off is mega sceptile itself I chose the substitute set pretty straight forward set that doesn’t need much to say but you set up a sub to take on incoming mons and recover with giga drain. Next is to somehow eliminate mons that checks and/or counter mega sceptile because I shouldn’t rely on focus blast to hit for heatran and non-specially defensive skarmory. So, rotom-wash was added to stop those and also stop talonflame from sweeping. Noticing that I need a set-up sweeper that has fun with ferrothorn and beats zard-y and special altaria or physical by setting up with it to a certain extent and that is bulk up talonflame. Next, I needed speed control but also a mon that could get rid of hazards so scarf excadrill works. Then, I need something that stops the twins from killing everything with rocks. So, thunder wave clef with rocks will provide a check to a good amount of dragons. FInally, I need a wall breakers for those fatter teams that also checks specs keldeo from sweeping the team so specs dragalge. And that's the team. If you don’t get the sets please look it up on the pokedex because it is very helpful.
A perfect example of how the team works plus turn 28 was amazing. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-331772723

Voting stage ends on Friday at 9:00 pm GMT -5. May be the best win.

Nice teams, the ones i like most are teams 2 and 4-6, although i think all of them are pretty good.

I immediately really liked the look and feel of team 4. The use of togekiss as a "catch-all" check to some stuff it can't 100% reliably take on (bish just seems really scary when it comes in on the ttar, so it either grabs a kill everytime or you sack ttar and eventually lose sand), and mega lop is a huge threat as they said. I do feel that this team is pretty cool though and certainly has counterplay vs the stuff that threaten it. I made an attempt to rework the team and it ended up forcing me to replace chandelure (which sucks :[) with a physdef volcarona or acrobatics talonflame (something of the sorts). and then go from there. Overall pretty nice team though, i definitely want to try it out sometime.

Team 5 has a quality that just makes innately like it by the look of the mons. The Garchomp Hippo team seems pretty good too, but after building a lot with garchomp i came to the conclusion that if you didn't use ttar you just wouldn't be as effecient as you could. I did not try hippo + bish, however, so i might want to give that team a spin to see how it feels. The other garchomp team i've really liked in the past is leftiez's team which uses av serperior and sd wisp talonflame > guss + latios, and also has a mixed mega chomp. This one is kinda similar, it seems a bit shaky vs DD lando-t and offensive garchomp but at least it has ice beam on ttar. I overall just like this one and wish to give it a spin too, although i think creativity points are lacking here.

Team 6 is nice and colorful and looks pretty good. I've actually built with bee + zone + azu before but it all started with haxorus rather than bee and then i randomly added bee + weav and it kinda works out ._. (definitely need to redo that team for bee and seperately for haxorus). One thing i noticed right off the bat is that the ground immune is tornadus, which means that dd lando or an offensive chomp can put in a fair bit of work (it can tank an azu jet probably but the chomp would need to be removed (subsalac lando kinda messes with that a lot though)) and it can get set-up opportunities if bee is forced to not u-turn or if mag is stuck in the wrong move (it can set up on clef too if it needs too). I also feel as if for cores like this you really want to have some great momentum going on the clefable is a kind of odd mon to glue things together, but i won't doubt it too much. I decided to try to remake my own version that uses weavile (really great with the original core/bee in general) and lando-t. This takes a bit more offensive approach although it does struggle with mega zam a bit. I decided for the last i would have to toy with it since hazard removal is pretty nice and there seem to be plenty of options to test out (including chople twave mag if i'm zam weak). Overall, i like this version as well.

I'm having a tough time here, but i think i'm gonna give it to team 4. It has a creative streak that goes beyong the building requirement that is utilizes pretty well, and the team overall is pretty solid and has decent counterplay vs most of its threats, which really indicates to me that the team is quite solid (my very best oras team also has some massive threats, but it has decent options to deal with it. Can't cover everything perfectly). This round was really well done so great job everyone.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Team 2
you guys seem to have forgotten that bisharp exists
>skarm+wisp talon
>bisharp weak

in all seriousness I like a lot of teams but I'm gonna go with Team 6 since it is a solid build that I made one very similar to ;~;.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
And of course I forgot to update this thread at the proper time D: I apologize for being such a terrible host D:

Anyways, Team 4 made by SketchUp has won this round. Congratulations, will be added to the hall of fame shortly. Excellent work.

In the meantime lets get to our next building round:

Round 26:

Our next round would consist in doing fun stuff with tailwind! Tailwind is a pretty interesting move that can easily change the outcome of a match thanks to providing extra speed to your team, meaning a scary wallbreaker becomes even scarier. Hope you some cool stuff with this.

Disclaimer: To clarify this, you only need 1 mon with tailwind on your team to fulfill the criteria of this round. If you want more, thats up to you.

Best of lucks to every builder.

Last edited:
A piece of advice: my opinion is that full tailwind is never an optimized build. If you can get it to work well, i would be really impressed. I might submit a fun team with a cool core for this one :D

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Tailwind
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Rash Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Knock Off
- Earthquake / Rock Slide

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Heart Stamp
- Healing Wish

Krookodile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Flying]
This is a team I made and used this afternoon and it worked pretty well for me. I was lurking through the forums and saw a LO Tangrowth set in TNBT that I wanted to try it. I started off with Tailwind Mega Altaria + LO Tangrowth as a core as I figured that they could work pretty well together. Tangrowth under Tailwind outspeeds everything up to Scarf Tyranitar and with LO and good coverage there aren't many pokemon that switch in safely. If lucky, you can catch Heatran off guard with Earthquake and give Mega Altaria a much easier time cleaning up. Slowbro finishes up the small Regenerator core with Tangrowth. It acts as a much needed check to Excadrill, Talonflame, Mega Lopunny, and Azumarill. I decided to go for the Calm Mind set because I didn't think Thunder Wave was necessary, as its main target Charizard-X is already defeated by Mega Altaria. Jirachi is the mandatory Steel-Type Pokémon™, as well as being the prime revengekiller of the team and check to many other checks like Mega Gardevoir and Kyurem-B. Heart Stamp because nobody likes MVenusaur and it also OHKO's Gengar so you don't risk getting swept by it if Iron Head doesn't flinch. Keldeo is just Keldeo, I decided that this time it would be nice to actually have a good Bisharp check and since I also struggled with Weavile, Scizor and MGyarados, Specs Keldeo seemed like the best option. HP Flying to lure in yet another counter to Mega Altaria in Mega Venusaur, other 3 moves are usual business. Last teammate I thought it would maybe be a good idea to put Stealth Rock on the team (actually had this on Jirachi after 4 mons but changed it). I chose Krookodile for a few reasons: 1. Pursuit does around 50% to offensive Heatran if it switches out, so repeat that twice and you have another Mega Altaria counter gone 2. I really disliked the ground types with the 4x Ice Weakness because I wanted something to check offensive electrics before Altaria went Mega and 3. It is a fantastic pokemon under Tailwind. LO Krookodile does a lot of damage to whatever switches in as long as it is not some way too bulky Skarmory or defensive Landorus-T. I only faced Gengar once with this team and I could quickly beat it by leading with Mega Altaria, setting up Tailwind on the incoming Gengar, sac something and trapping Gengar with Pursuit (only losing 1 mon vs. Gengar is worth it). LO Krookodile and LO Tangrowth are both extremely fun mons to use when Tailwind is up. They are a bit trickier to use outside of Tailwind because they warrant much more prediction but the fact that the opponent doesn't have a single clue what they should switch in really comes in handy.
Gengar and Mega Pinsir are the two biggest threats. Both can be revengekilled by Jirachi and if Mega Altaria manages to get up a Tailwind they are both much easier to deal with. Luckily they both aren't really common. Also the lack of hazards removal isn't that big of a deal because only Mega Altaria dislikes Stealth Rock pre-mega, the other pokemon have either Regenerator or a Stealth Rock resistance so they don't get hurt too much. Spikes can be annoying but most Spikes users can be lured in pretty quickly early game by Tangrowth

Last edited:

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Past SPL Champion
YO WHATS UP GUYS, SO I DECIDED TO USE TAILWIND TO ITS FULL POTENTIAL, AND RUN SOME NICE ORAS BATON PASS. CHECK IT OUT!!!
Cottonee @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Stun Spore
- Taunt
- Memento
- Tailwind

Azelf @ Light Clay
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Explosion
- Taunt
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Stun Spore
- Taunt
- Memento
- Tailwind

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Cosmic Power
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

Espeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Morning Sun
It's literally the Baton Pass setup chain (Cottonee, Screens Azelf, Whimsicott). Then your Baton Passer (Mega Lopunny). Then your recipients (Clefable, Espeon). If they try to boost alongside you, or Clef has a good matchup, pass to Clef. Otherwise pass to Espeon. Espeon can also be used to stop Roar/Whirlwind, wheras Clefable can be used to stop Dragon Tail.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T A I L W I N D!

T A I L W I N D!
Crawdaunt, slow enough to outspeed bulky mons but too slow to get out sped by faster threats thus making it a perfect cantidate for tailwind, with tailwind support Crawdaunt can single handedly break teams with tailwind. Bringing back B&W with lead Volcarona with tailwind support and hp ground to lure those pesky heatrans . Lando here serves as a backup clef check at well as bombing everything with e plate eq lando also serves as a good backup sableye and clefable "check". Gardevoir is here to decimate things that usually out speed it and ohko her like weavile, sand and scarf exca (given you hit focus blast x) ), gengar, cobalion, kabutops in rain, kingdra, offensive garchomp,and tornadus im sure i missed a few. Zapdos is here to synergize with Gardevoir by checking the likes of talonflame, scizor, and klefki while also supporting the team with tail wind and checking bulky water types. Lastly you might be thinking wtf is Breloom doing here, Breloom is here for a fast spore which can create free turns of set-up while staying at full hp and i also liked these calcs

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 282-336 (88.4 - 105.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T: 348-408 (107.7 - 126.3%)
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 171-204 (52.2 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 348-408 (116.3 - 136.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Altaria: 152-179 (52.2 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

These calcs come from the cost of being adamant xD but imo its justified to have adamant because of tailwind support. But Gardevoir has to be Timid for jolly sand exca.

Final thesis: Tailwind opens up much potential for mons :)

le team import
The Arbiter (Volcarona) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Tailwind
- Hidden Power [Ground]

SGT. Johnson (Crawdaunt) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

Master Chief (Breloom) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch

Buck (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 68 SpA / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Cortana (Gardevoir-Mega) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Mickey (Landorus-Therian) @ Earth Plate
EVs: 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

MrAldo

Hey
In an effort to keep this thread active guess Im gonna post a team of my own

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Whimsicott @ Yache Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Moonblast
- Tailwind
- Encore

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Defog
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump

Jirachi @ Expert Belt
EVs: 112 Atk / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Icy Wind
- Fire Punch
- Iron Head
So yeah, best way to take advantage of tailwind is have a pair of monstrous wallbreakers to take advantages of the extra speed and then have a mon that could clean the team later on. Mega Zard-Y + tailwind sounded really tempting so went with that. Paired it with the amazing choice band tyranitar which is able to brutalize a plethora of defensive cores alongside zard-Y. The ev spread is designed to be most effective during tailwind, outspeeding everything up to mega lopunny and mega manectric under tailwind. Tyranitar also cover a ton of things defensively. Next, the tailwind setter and the whole idea behind the team so enter whimsicott! Priority encore and tailwind is godly, provides pivoting and a good response to plenty of annoying setup sweepers which would just sweep me. Next, zard-Y demands hazard removal so enter latios. Surf help to consistently beat opposing hippowdon and heatran without spdef drops.

Next, needed a scarfer to revenge kill stuff so enter keldeo. Scarf keldeo works well here, checking ton of extremely dangerous threats like bisharp, scizor and weavile. HP Electric is a filler, mainly to finish off a weakened gyarados or even azumarill if needed. Last I was lacking rocks and a fairy resist. Wanted a more active fairy check so went with a stealth rock jirachi. Rather funky set but it does the trick wearing down lando-t and garchomps. Fire punch so mainly ferrothorn isnt so annoying since no hp fire lati here and iron head to just do jirachi things.

Offensive threats are pretty annoying, mainly sand and mega lopunny, the latter mainly due to fake out eating a valuable tailwind turn which is pretty annoying but it is rather manageable. It is offense so there is a natural weakness to it. Mega alakazam is also pretty painful to go against but there is counterplay still.

Round ends up on wednesday around 9:30 PM GMT -5. More submissions would be nice :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)