OU - Tempesta Del Sorra [Peaked 1508]

Team Tempesta Del Sorra

The return of the highest peaking team I've ever made.
As the title said, this team has peaked at 1508, in round 2 of suspect testing. Back then, the only real threat to this team was Speed Boost Blaziken, but now that it's banned, I've made a few changes to it to suit the current metagame.
I've stopped trying to counter everything that is now banned (Blaziken was the main, while Shaymin-S annoyed the living hell out of me), and tried to counter everything that isn't banned. So here it is: Team Tempesta Del Sorra.

Team Building Process

Every Sandstorm team needs a weather inducer, so I chose Tyranitar.

I wanted a Poke that could easily put the game in a bag for me, so I chose Excadrill.

Now I needed something to cover up the teams weaknesses, and what better than the overhyped jellicent. Yeah, at the time he was a lot higher in usage than he is now. But when compared to my current team, I would've actually expected better from pringles... But at least he tried to stop Blaziken.

The old king of DP makes his return, and he's more threatening than ever with deadlier SS Sweepers to help him.

Dear Scizor, If you didn't exist, I don't know where this team might be...
Yeah, I think I was one of the first people to think of using a Bulky SD Scizor, but RaikouLover made a slight improvement on it: Being able to kill Gengar with an unboosted Bullet Punch, and even avoiding a 2HKO from a Specs Latios Draco Meteor. Also, I think Iconic used one, but again, a different spread. I now realize that neither of those KOs are too important, so I went back to my old spread.

Yeah, Latios. Covers up all of my weaknesses, and serves as a great sun and rain check.

Current Team

Yeah, quite a few changes since last time, but it's a lot better. I decided to replace Jellicent (My only counter to Blaziken) with Gorebyss, cos I've always loved Baton Passing. I also decided that Garchomp wasn't as good without Jellicent, so I replaced him with the main ShellPassreceptant, Salamence. Yeah I tried Chomp in place of Salamence, but why waste a perfectly good pass when he can reach +2 so easily anyway. Dragon Dance Salamence has always been harder to set up, but has been almost better even when Chomp is at +2 and Mence is at +1.
It's amazing how devestating Salamence is with all those boosts.
Latias is also good with those boosts, although she can get them herself with CM. She works better than Latios on this team because it needs a more Defencive Poke.

In-Depth

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/180 Sp. Att/76 Sp. Def
Nature: Sassy
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

The newest Tyranitar set, and works with me so well. Sets up SS, sets up SR, kills Lati@s (They normally think I'll Pursuit, so they stay in), and is also a specially defencive beast. I chose Ice Beam over Superpower because my team has a bit of trouble with Gliscor, Fire Blast is for Steels, and Crunch is for Reliable STAB, and sometimes getting a Defence drop.

Most of the team covers up his weaknesses if it comes to a weather war, so I can save him until the oppo's weather inducer is dead. This is the guy that gives me my main weaknesses, but normally it doesn't matter if he gets SR up, because it allows me to get a few more KOs, like Salamence on Skarmory with Flamethrower (breaking Sturdy), and killing Physically Defencive Jellicent with +2 Dragon Claw.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP/252 Att/252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor/Return

This is the guy that rips peoples faces off and steals their kidneys. That's actually an understatement, because he is that good. It was very anticipated after all the excitement of ST Chandelure and Haxorus. This guy turned out to be 500 times better than Haxorus, and DW Chandy isn't released yet.

It has few counters, and most of it's counters it can set up on because of it's natural bulk, Air Balloon, and the ability to cause switches even with it's counters.

Swords Dance for setting up, Earthquake for very good STAB, Rock Slide forms the 'EdgeQuake' combo, and has good SE coverage and a cool side effect. I can't decide between Return or X-Scissor; Return for power or X-Scissor for coverage. I might need some help with this.

Covers up a few weaknesses in the team, like the Dragon weakness and EQ weakness (with Balloon). So, yeah, Excadrill.

Gorebyss @ White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 248 HP/96 Sp. Def/164 Spe
Nature: Calm
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Ice Beam
- Surf

My own EV spread, because I like doing that :) Yeah, this guy is almost essential to my team's victory. Without it, Salamence is technically a slightly weaker (on the special side) New MixMence. Even though he's good, he gets so much out of the boost. Same with Excadrill, and I've even had a Tyranitar sweep with it.

The EVs are to keep a lot of Bulk, and outspeed Starmie after a Shell Smash. I use 248 EVs in HP so I can use the leftover 4 in Special Defence to get a jump point.

Shell Smash is to power up, with White Herb decreasing the boosts. Baton Pass is to pass them, to any of my 5 Attackers (normally Mence), each with their own techniques. Substitute is to get a safe switch-in and sometimes it stays there on that Poke for the whole battle. Surf is there so it isn't Taunt bait, and can even net a kill or two.

Water is excellent typing, and it covers my Water and Fire weaknesses.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Att/4 Def/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
- Roost

My main BP receptant, and has swept whole teams so many times I've lost count. I really never make a team without Salamence. Not only is he awesome, he is incredibly powerful, and intimidate just puts the icing on the cake.

Outrage is the main STAB move, and gets OHKOs on Blissey, Jellicent, and even Excadrill when at +2 and with a Life Orb. Earthquake for coverage, and is a good attack in general. Flamethrower I chose over Fire Blast because they get the same KOs, even with a Jolly nature, including Specially Defencive Skarmory and 252/252+ Ferrothorn. Dragon Claw is for another STAB move if I don't have to resort to Outrage, and gets Dragons, Gengar, and Politoed.

Salamence is powerful even without the boosts, sitting at a nice LO boosted 369 Attack Stat, and is still very threatening, and I use it as a pseudo-MixMence.

He also holds quite a few key resistences in my team, like Fire, Water, Ground, and Fighting.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 232 HP/56 Att/208 Sp. Def/12 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Bug Bite

My original Bulky Swords Dance Scizor, and this guy is a gun. Sets up on so many things, such as Ferrothorn, Porygon2, Reuniclus, Chansey, Blissey, Conkeldurr, the list goes on. This guy kills any team without a Skarmory or Fire type (Not counting Chandelure or Infernape). It gets to +6 so easily it's not funny, and doesn't care about Paralysis.

The EVs are to get to a jump point in Attack, get a good Life Orb number, have lots of Special Bulk, and outspeed Choice Band Scizor.

Swords Dance is to set up, Bullet Punch is an amazing 90 power priority, Roost is to heal off damage, Bug Bite is good Secondary STAB, and I use it on Slower, Bulkier Pokemon like Slowbro and Hippowdon. The Life Orb he's holding gets the OHKO with a +6 BP on Chandelure, and the KO on Infernape.

He has so many resistances, and lots of them help with covering up my team's weaknesses. Scizor is definatly is key Poke on my team

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/4 Sp. Att/252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute

Latias Serves as my Sun Check, just in case I lose the weather war with a Ninetales. She has the bulk to take even Sun-Boosted Fire Moves, and threaten them with her Dragon Moves. Her Speed and Recovery is certainly an asset to my team. I was using Latios in this spot for a while, but he didn't have enough Bulk to be switched in to the powerful Fire and Grass moves that are shot around on Sun Teams.

Calm Mind is to set-up, Recover is to get rid of the damage while setting up, and Dragon Pulse is an amazing STAB with amazing coverage. Substitute is to scout and stay immune to status, enabling her to set up on more Pokes than with HP Fire.

She also covers up my main weaknesses, like Fire and Ground, but opens up a small weakness to Ice.

Previous Team Members

Garchom @ Yache Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP/252 Att/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Latios @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp. Att/252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/252 Defence/4 Sp. Def
Nature: Bold
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball

Threats

This guy can threaten a lot of my team with Electric, Ice and Fighting combo. Latias is a good counter before He gets a boost, but this thing is a wrecking ball. I can use Excadrill to revenge it, but Rock Slide isn't the most reliable of moves. In Rain this thing kills me full stop. His STAB Thunder is very deadly, and stops Excadrill from easily revenge killing it.​

Yeah, Conk. I don't like him, or his nose. If he decides to go Stone Edge, he's SE against 4 Pokes on my team. Yeah, that's right. FOUR. Scizor can set up on him, and Latias can take unboosted Stone Edges all day long, but they're dead, I'm kinda screwed. But if it's unboosted, Salamence can come in and abuse Intimidate, and hopefully force it out, or launch off a super-powerful Outrage. It's easier to deal with if it has Payback.​

This guy can be annoying, but I have a few Pokes that can deal with him: Latias laughs at his face and attacks, and Salamence can be a good counter too as long as he avoids Burns.​

Conclusion

Good team with a good set of resistances, only a few threats to it, and It shows how good the combo of SS and Shell Smash is. A whole team of Super-Threatening Pokes is good, especially with such good synergy. People struggle to keep up with my Sweepers while not worrying what they must sacrifice. I can use the opponents blind trying-to-stop-sweepers technique to my advantage, because a sacrifice they make might've won them the match...

Feel Free to Rate, and I accept any criticism, and will test any suggested changes.

I shamelessly stole your team and used it on PO. Here's what I think.

• Latias is the MVP of the team. I had several matches where my opponent forfeited after letting me set up six Calm Minds. I only used Substitute on Latias, and not HP Fire, but I found Substitute to be helpful in blocking Will-o-wisps, Scalds, and other status-inducing moves. However, sometimes I would have liked HP Fire to beat Scizor.
  • I was never able to pull off a sweep with Salamence after a Smash Pass. Salamence is just too frail. Since Gorebyss is at +2 Speed after using Shell Smash, Salamence usually has to take a hit when it receives the BP. Add in Stealth Rock, Sand damage, and Life Orb recoil, and Salamence will only last a few turns at most. I recommend switching back to Garchomp. If you do keep Salamence, make it Naive instead of Jolly, because when you use Flamethrower on Salamence, Special Attack is more important than Special Defense.
  • I never used Gorebyss's Substitute while using your team, so I gave Gorebyss Ice Beam instead. I found Ice Beam to be a lot more useful.
  • The other members of your team work just as intended. I've frequently been able to get multiple boosts with Scizor, Tyranitar does a good job setting up, and Excadrill should be called Excakill.

@ Staraptor Call - thanx, ive set sub as main move on latias and ur rite. i added roost on mence to add some survivabilty, and i can stall out some moves like a weak ice fang, or a scarftar's rock slide. i use jolly because, after a boost and LO, it kills off anything that naive would (except 252/252+ bronzong). I still need help with exca though.

A tiny nitpick would be to swap LO to Yache on mence. LO will just force you to roost giving the opponent a chance to ko it even after roosting.

What's the point of going from garchomp to salamence? Garchomp is arguably the best smashpass recipient. Salamence's speed is still problematic and is prone to revenge kills by the likes of...say scarfchomp. While it's true you have roost on mence, stealth rock + ss + life orb is most definately wearing it down.
Pretty obvious you really like mence but I just wanted to know if you'd consider putting garchomp back onto your team.

Oh and congratz on your success ith the team.
It's a very solid team.

mence has intimidate, so when it gets the pass, it takes less damage, and at +2 it isn't revenged by anything except scarf deoxys-s (and ice shard, which is a huge problem), while garchomp (also getting killed by ice shard) can get +2 easily, and salamence (with higher special attack) can wallbreak and do lots more with those boosts. oh yeah, and i like mence lots, always have, i was so anti-menceban last gen, even though i wasn't a member of smogon then

I knew you liked mence so fair enough.
Though I am still not too convinced if you really need to have mence over chomp.
ANyways good luck.

tested chomp, but mence still works better on this team, even with the ss. it is pretty good, but lacks recovery, and i've found roost to be fucking good on mence if played right. he really loves the temporary pure dragon typing, so when a scarftar tries to come in, i roost, and only takes 150bp attack (edge or ice punch), as well as healing. hell yeah, this this deserves more usage than it's getting, its a fucking beast, even without smashpass. it kills so many things even without the pass, while chomp is just a fodder if it fails to get it. i think i might stick with mence.

Edit: chomp's banned. let's party. mence is #1. wooooooooooooo. no more peeps sayin 'o use chomp over mence' cos i cant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)