OU Test Suspect - Garchomp without Sand

I have had RMTs for this about a month ago, but this team still has those flaws that I want to discard. Not counters, but things I want here.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Swords Dance can be quite difficult to set up, and I do not like how people keep switching into Genesect when I try to set up. So I decided to let the grounded Dragon try a Choice Scarf set. And despite having some troubles with consistency, it offers some huge firepower onto my team. Outrage and Earthquake are basic STABs, and Dragon Claw is for when Outrage is too risky. Finally, Fire Fang covers Steel Types like Ferrothorn and Skarmory, who would otherwise give Garchomp problems. And again, a Swords Dance set is tough for me to use, as Garchomp has demonstrated difficulty in setting up. So I would prefer it hitting right off the bat. Its Ground typing has also given it a blessing in an immunity to Thunder Wave.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Body Slam
- Protect

IMPORTANT PARAGRAPH TO READ. This special wall here has not failed to impress. However, there is one problem: my team really misses the Heal Bell + Wish combination Blissey had to offer it. Also, I have had troubles getting Body Slam to induce paralysis, and Thunder Wave does not offer coverage on Ghost types. However, if I drop Jirachi, I face problems with the Therians and Calm Mind users, which has always bugged me (though I guess Blissey can do the job okay...). Quite literally, I am in a pickle. If I go Blissey > Jirachi, I lose some of the ability to wall threats like Reuniculus and Latias as well as I could (but Blissey can do the job okay). Yet, Jirachi can not learn Heal Bell, and status has always given me problems. I did not mention Chansey because Sand is quite common in OU Test Suspect, so the Leftovers recovery is important.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor

This thing has not lived up to its hype, and instead has failed to impress me. No more second chance for you. It was meant to outspeed things like the Therians, and hit them hard, but seriously, it is like Reuniculus, who fails to impress me. After one Close Combat, it gets hit with the power of a truck, and withers down. Even with Sacred Sword or Stone Edge, it just does not hit as hard as I expect it to. May I please replace this thing with a Ghost type? I do not care if the Ghost type is RU - if it can check threats to my team, or offer utility my team would welcome without being mediocre, while still possessing a Ghost typing, it is welcome.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 192 Def / 252 HP / 64 SDef
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

Forretress keeps spinning those Rocks and Spikes off my side of the field so Pokemon like Volcarona do not have to get crippled from entry hazards. And if you thought utility was its only function, you are wrong; it also functions as a physical wall. Rapid Spin is the big move here, and Stealth Rock + Spikes helps put some hazards onto the opposing side as well. And then when I am done (if Pokemon like Ninetales are not on the opposing), I Volt Switch out. It has excellent utility and defensive traits. I see no reason to replace it; if I did replace it, Volcarona, my star sweeper, would be doomed to oblivion.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

Ever since I went Jellicent --> Gastrodon a while back via recommendation from an RMT, I really miss having a ghost type around. But Gastrodon is not failing to impress me - Terrakion is. Gastrodon just sits there, making pokemon like Politoed want to have Hidden Power Grass in their arsenal. Scald has a cool chance to burn, which is always fun on a Ferrothorn switch-in. Earthquake is secondary STAB. Recover is there to keep this thing up and running. Toxic is for breaking several things down. Despite being a newcomer, it certainly stops things from being problematic.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Volcarona is the star of the team (if I am not facing a rain team). Despite an absolute grudge for entry hazards, and suffering from a lack of a fifth moveslot, I have won several games with it. Quiver Dance is the set-up here, and Fiery Dance has a 50% chance to give another Sp Atk boost, which is cool. Ferrothorn and Genesect, here I come! Bug Buzz is a secondary STAB; after one or two boosts, it OHKOs most Garchomp. Take that, Stone Edge! Hidden Power Rock hits checks like Gyarados and Salamence hard, while hitting Heatran for neutral damage. if it had a fifth moveslot, it would be awesome, as Giga Drain would go in that slot (it would be unstoppable without the help of Quagsire). It hits the jackpot in terms of sweeping.

Things I want on my team:

Full Cleric Support - See the Jirachi Paragraph.

A Ghost Type to replace Terrakion - See the Terrakion Paragraph about how Terrakion is pretty much (surprisingly) dead weight.

Scarf Garchomp + Scarf Terrakion is really redundant. You could also use 1) a second switch into rain-boosted water attacks so you don't overload Gastrodon, 2) a better switch to Breloom, and 3) something to beat Toxic Politoed, who really screws over Gastrodon and can even beat it 1-on-1 if it uses Refresh. Since you're looking to replace Terrakion, I recommend using a Celebi in its place. It gives you a second water resist, a Breloom counter, and a great switch into Toed as it can shrug off Toxics with Natural Cure. It can even use Heal Bell to give your team the cleric support you wanted. The other three moves I had in mind are Giga Drain/Hidden Power Fire/Recover, with max HP and a good amount of bulk on both sides of the spectrum, with Bold or Calm as the nature depending on which direction you want to lean more towards. Just an idea, try it out, I think it'll work. gl with the team.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Garchomp should be running a Jolly nature in order to beat common scarfers such as Genesect, Jirachi, and Salamence, which all positive nature.

You already have 2 scarfers on the team, both which function well in sand. Why don't you change either garchomp or terrakion's sets into SD or choice band? This gives you a physical sweeper complementary to volcarona. Also many a times sand stall teams use spinblockers, to prevent the rapid spin. For this I would suggest starmie, which gives another revenge killer for garchomp (for the hax). In the process since you use stealth rock add it on jirachi instead.

For your ghost type have you tried Sub Disable Gengar?? It's really good, but since the suspect test is in sand (mainly) it gets worn down fast.

Sets:
Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Body Slam

Gengar (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Disable

Drop Forretress? Forretress was meant to absorb physical hits. As for Gengar, I will try it, and see how it goes. I also mentioned full cleric support (Heal Bell + Wish)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)