Project OU Theorymon [Voting: Check Post #3272]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bullet Seed, Rock Tomb, Frost Breath, Hidden Power, Water Pulse, Bulldoze...
I think the point he has is that 30 speed makes most of those moves unviable because one quick fire move kills tree yetis!

The thing about Bulldoze/Rock Tomb (since their counterparts have the same accuracy and 10 more power) I don't understand though: is the speed drop worth it when you have none yourself?

Who honestly thinks they're sweeping with Abomasnow outside of maybe TR teams? It's now a potent Wallbreaker that can turn certain things that are checks to a threat into counters.

EDIT: In case I left it vague, the speed drop moves allow your teammates to outspeed certain threats and force them out/KO them.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I think the point he has is that 30 speed makes most of those moves unviable because one quick fire move kills tree yetis!

The thing about Bulldoze/Rock Tomb (since their counterparts have the same accuracy and 10 more power) I don't understand though: is the speed drop worth it when you have none yourself?
It's a team support thing. I don't see those moves used much in OU, but in battle spot singles for example, Rock Tomb on garchomp is REALLY common because it forces switches and the speed drop also supports the rest of your team. Since technician abomasnow is pretty threatening, throwing out a rock tomb/bulldoze could be useful to get some decent damage off but also let the rest of your team deal with the incoming pokemon more easily.

After viewing the vote count, I believe some hard earned campaigning is in order…

In the frozen wastelands, only the strongest and smartest hunters survive. Abomasnow, a sporting plant, is the perfect hunter of the frigid; through a keen understanding of hunting Techniques, Abomasnow can extremely hard without warning. It is known to utilize tactics that slow its prey down, and its Frost Breath is so potent that it ignores any attempts to mitigate the damage. Any opponent that thinks they can burn away Abomasnow's icy camouflage is subject to being hit by a Rock Tomb, potentially opening it up to an assisted hunt.

Only one Pokemon can brave the icy tops of Mount Silver. The one, the only, Abomasnow

EDIT: Okay so the intention of this post is to get a few more votes/changed votes. Right now we've got a tie between Abomasnow and Jirachi (with Dusknoir and Avalugg lagging really far behind). Now's your chance to make a difference by voting. Voting will close tonight once we have a winner.

Last edited:
After viewing the vote count, I believe some hard earned campaigning is in order…

In the frozen wastelands, only the strongest and smartest hunters survive. Abomasnow, a sporting plant, is the perfect hunter of the frigid; through a keen understanding of hunting Techniques, Abomasnow can extremely hard without warning. It is known to utilize tactics that slow its prey down, and its Frost Breath is so potent that it ignores any attempts to mitigate the damage. Any opponent that thinks they can burn away Abomasnow's icy camouflage is subject to being hit by a Rock Tomb, potentially opening it up to an assisted hunt.

Only one Pokemon can brave the icy tops of Mount Silver. The one, the only, Abomasnow

.....Is it wrong that I read that and instead of sporting, I read potted? xD

My vote goes in for Steel-Fairy Jirachi. Regardless of how effective either is, I think Jirachi is more needed in the current Meta. There's already WAY too many offensive juggarnauts and Wallbreakers between Mega Hera, Garde, Medi, Azumarill, etc. The Meta game is already running rampant with offense.

Jirachi's bulk and that typing would allow it to stop and check a good number of these, or at least take the weight off singular mons handling them like Doublade. It would give Defense and Stall more of a fighting chance.

Last edited:
Mega technitian Abomasnow

Outside of jirachi already being P. good, the thing is just a pain in the arse to fight, and has had 3 generations of being amazing.

Meanwhile poor abomasnow has been the laughing stock of jokes among the weather-starters (which says a ton considering ninetales).

Not to mention it sounds hilarious to use, and finally having a tech pokemon who can go mixed is awesome.

Vote Aboma, vote for the Underdog.

Lol, missed the new thread and was sitting here like an idiot wondering what happened to this.

Anyway, steel/fairy jirachi, no more ridiculous wall breakers or trappers please

Voting is over! The winner is:

+ Technician

Technician Abomasnow: 18

Steel / Fairy Jirachi: 17

Ice / Steel Avalugg: 4

Shadow Tag Dusknoir: 3

For our new slate:

This is a weather-themed slate!

+ Drought

+ Drizzle

+ Sand Stream

+ Snow Warning

Discuss! Keep in mind the actual effects of weather before you make mindless posts.

Last edited:
I'm super stoked for this slate, as they all bring something to the table.

• Blastoise: I really think having 2 viable rain setters would breathe a lot of life into Rain teams, despite their current popularity on the ladder. Blastoise would essentially just be a better version of Politoed, and I'm not sure if teams would run both or just choose Blastoise, but it would be really interesting to see the effect.
  • Virizion: This is a huge buff for Sun teams, as it's a sun setter that resists SR. One of Sun's intrinsic negatives had been it's poor longevity against hazard stacking, but now that's no longer an issue. Not to mention how awesome Sun-powered Synthesis can be on Virizion.
  • Cradily: This one is my baby; Cradily wouldn't necessarily contribute to a playstyle so much as the SpDef boost from Sand would just turn it into a monster of a special wall. To give you an idea of how cool it is, it can switch into Zard-Y, take away its Sun boosted Fire Blasts, threaten it out with Rock STAB, then simply Recover off the damage. You COULD use it as Sand Fuel for Excadrill, but it's intended as a defensive buff mostly.
  • Glaceon: This one is a fairly simple buff. It gives Glaceon to fire off 100% accurate Blizzards with its powerful Base 130 SpA stat. More of a nuke than anything else, but it's definitely something the tier would appreciate using to deter BirdSpam and Dragons.

Do you even frost breath Jirachi.

These sound pretty fun, weather is a nice mehanic.

Virizion: not only resistant of SR, but an actual good defensive typing, reliable synthesis, and the ability to threaten out every weather setter, including the only on this slate o_0.

Cradily: Monsterous wall under sand, and argubly has better defensive synergy with excadrill, again, reliable recovery is nice, and maybe the curse-set could return from DPP.

Glaceon: Can now easily spam blizzard's more powerful than mega aboma, not take up a mega slot. movepool is pretty bleh, and speed is disappointing.

Blastoise: allows for slightly more utility on rain-teams, and kabutops never has to run rapid-spin anymore. scarf water-spout under rain, anyone?

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
virizion: as Stef0w stated before, the positive trait of this mon is that it easily beats every other weater inducer, can be threatening with mixed LO set

cradily: can be better than ttar at performing this role because of instant recovery and amazing special defense, can use its bulk to easily setup rocks and help excadrill in its sweep

blastoise: slightly better than politoed as rain inducer because of rapid spin support and because it can actually use rain itself by mega evolving and firing off extremely powerful water attacks, even if on rain teams a damp rock is preferred as an item

glaceon: better than abomasnow but hail still sucks

hopefully not, 'cos Water Pulses off Mega Launcher in rain will be devastating
Rain Boosted Water Spouts will be brutal as well

EDIT: Folks, the addition of a weather ability is not always intended to make that weather more viable as a playstyle. It is intended to increase the viability of the Pokemon in question. While some things find their viability increased due to their fitting in on weather better, do not make decisions based on the weather itself unless it contributes to a significant viability rise.

Last edited:
Blastoise-Its nice having a rain setter thats not politoad, but if you use it as a mega evolution, you can set the rain up, then give your opponent a hard time switching into a rain boosted water pulse/scald/hydro pump off a 135 base SpA. But if its just regular, its nice to have a bulkier Rain Setter.

Virizion- This one is the most beneficial. A sun setter with a SR resistance is nice, but this ones the best as it can use the weather itself. Virizion gets sun boosted Synthesis, while having a strong solar beam for a grass stab. it also doesn't occupy your mega slot for Zard-Y, and its not Ninetales. Overall, has my vote so far.

Cradily- 86/97/107 defenses are nothing to laugh about, plus being under the sand gives his SpD a 1.5x boost, has access to recover to stay healthy and continually come back in and set the Sand up for Sand Sweepers. It does loose a water resistance, but i can overlook that. Grass Rock defensive typing is kinda awkward, but arguably is better than Ttars Rock Dark typing. Its fitting.

Glacion- Probably the worst just in terms of weather. Hail doesn't have a large play style like the others, and usually hurts your pokemon with passive damage just as much as the opponent. It gets Spammable Blizzard and its speed is better than Abomasnow, but its still bad. Its SpA is just as good with a better defensive typing as Abomasnow, but Ice is still a horrible defensive typing. Glacion can't really go mixed like Abomasnow can. I guess if you don't wanna use your mega, use this guy.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Drought Virizion: This was my idea, so I'll try to avoid bias. With Drought, Virizion received two buffs. The first one that immediately comes to mind is Synthesis, now recovering 2/3 of the user's health, so you can use a Heat Rock and Synthesis will make up for the lack of Leftovers, thus making the sun last in more ways than one. The second is Solarbeam, so now you have a powerful weapon to throw around when need be. Aside from those, Virizion is a better Drought user than Mega Charizard Y and Ninetales, since it doesn't take up a Mega Evolution slot over the former, and it doesn't completely suck over the latter. Resisting Stealth Rock is also a great bonus, and 90 / 72 / 129 defenses are actually pretty solid. Plus, 90 Attack and Special Attack mean Virizion can hit back fairly hard, and having Solar Beam, Giga Drain, Sacred Sword, and Focus Blast as offensive moves is actually pretty cool, and 108 Speed is godly for a defensive Pokemon, so it has a distinct advantage over the likes of Politoed and Tyranitar. Definitely getting my vote.

Drizzle Blastoise: A pretty cool idea. With Drizzle, Blastoise can abuse Water Spout and either become a hellish wallbreaker with a Choice Specs, or become a menacing revenge killer with a Choice Scarf, so he already has some flexibility there. Blastoise is basically a better Politoed, as even though Politoed has more support options, mainly Encore and Hypnosis, Blastoise has better overall stats and Rapid Spin. However, having both of these guys on the same team isn't such a bad idea, since you have an extra Drizzle setter to fall back on if one of them gets KOed, and having Politoed primed for taking special attacks and Blastoise primed for physical attacks could be interesting. Plus, you can use Drizzle to power up Mega Blastoise momentarily if you want to Mega Evolve, so Drizzle Blastoise is a boost to both himself and his Mega Evolution. A very solid idea.

Sand Stream Cradily: I wasn't that blown away by this at first, but then I realized that this would actually be a really good Theorymon. With 86 / 97 / 107 defenses and Recover, Cradily can last a while throughout the battle, but factor in Sand Stream buffing his Special Defense, and you have a surprisingly sturdy special wall on your side. 81 Special Attack is also fairly decent, and Giga Drain can provide decent offensive and defensive presences. In terms of weather wars, Cradily pulls its weight very nicely, since Politoed, Hippowdon, and non-Mega Tyranitar can't beat it one-on-one, and taking on Mega Charizard Y outside of the sun is pretty cool. I really like this one, and wouldn't be surprised if this won.

Snow Warning Glaceon: Yeah, we were kind of going with the weather train on this one. It's not hard to tell that Snow Warning Glaceon would have a hard time in OU, but there is one thing that makes this one really interesting: Blizzard. With hail maximizing Blizzard's accuracy, Glaceon's offensive presence gets a favorable boost, and slapping on a Choice Specs makes her attacks almost nuclear. Sadly, that's really it. Her defensive typing is garbage which offsets her solid defenses, hail will hurt her teammates, and there's also Sylveon, who's basically just better in almost every way. It was fun to fit the theme, but to me, this idea is more novelty than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)