Project OU Theorymon [Voting: Check Post #3272]

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Don't forget to bold it

AV azumaril. anyways, he's kinda slow so you can easily Rk him.
4 Atk Life Orb Protean Hydreigon Thunder Fang vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 229-273 (57.1 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yes, no one uses Thunder Fang, but it still proves that Hydreigon has no switch-ins. This thing reminds me of greninja, it can murder any mon that it wishes depending on the moveset.

My vote goes to Fur Coat Granbull. Aromatisse isn't much of an improvement, and as much as i like buffing PU/NU mons Poliwrath has terrible stats and it can only abuse Hypnosis and Dynamic Punch with No Guard. Maybe if it got Stone Edge and had better stats it would get my vote.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
^ Don't forget to bold it

4 Atk Life Orb Protean Hydreigon Thunder Fang vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 229-273 (57.1 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yes, no one uses Thunder Fang, but it still proves that Hydreigon has no switch-ins. This thing reminds me of greninja, it can murder any mon that it wishes depending on the moveset.
Iron Tail also 2HKOs, without being quite as niche of a coverage option.

After a very close race between dog and dragon and a staggering 63 votes, our winner is...

Fur Coat Granbull with 31 votes!

Protean Hydregion: 21 votes
Poison / Fairy Tissue: 3 votes lol
No Guard Poliwrath: 8 votes

Thank you all for the wonderful amount of participation! You know we love you :]

The next slate goes as following:

+ Contrary (Credit to bae user Kurona )

+ Intimidate

+ Tail Glow

+Dragon / Steel typing

Quite the rough-looking bunch this time around!
Discussion may begin! Have fun!

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Holy crap, Contrary Nape is amazing. Consider the following set:

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Vacuum Wave
- Grass Knot
- Close Combat

I've got a squawking baby, so I can't comment too much more, but just... consider it.

(Dragon/Steel M-Aggron is pretty sick also)

FUCK YES, I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO TALK ABOUT CONTRARY INFERNAPE FOR SO LONG NOW

SO

Contrary. This just makes it an incredibly fun 'mon to use -- let's start off with the most simple and obvious thing; Overheat. Pretty much becomes the fire counterpart of Serperior but with an extra STAB, better coverage in general, better initial power but with worse speed. Overheat allows it to quickly boost to insane levels of power, but I assure you this is not broken -- it suffers from the same general problems Serperior does. Many switch-ins that resist fire can come in for the kill like Keldeo, and talking of Keldeo the 108 base speed is a problem -- while it does tie with Keldeo and Terrakion, it misses out on the new important 110 and 115 tiers which are very important, especially with no way to boost it's speed outside of Scarf - unviable in every way - baton passers and sticky web. This allows it to be checked by numerous threats in the meta such as Scarf Keldeo, Talonflame, Mega Diancie and Lati@s. However, it's still a very impressive threat and a win condition; using a fire-type 195 power move with additional coverage to plow through weakened teams. Overheat and Focus Blast are your mandatory moves; while other viable moves would consist of the various Hidden Powers for coverage, Grass Knot for 'mon like Slowbro, perhaps even Slack Off for recovery like Serperior, and my favourite Vacuum Wave -- finally, a viable user of specially-based priority.
But that's not where the fun stops, of course. For a different, bulkier approach perhaps more fitting for Balance Teams, try out Close Combat and Slack Off for an incredibly annoying defensive tank with the ability to go mixed.
Alsogodfuckingdammithoggninjaingme

edit: also I'll talk about the other noms later; they all look really interesting tbh -- I feel kinda bad slating a 'mon with a nuking nasty plot with just normal nasty plot haha. Still, I just wanted to elaborate on 'nape because it's my sub and all :]

So here are my initial thoughts:
  • Infernape: I'm split between M-Aggron and this simply because it's an odd case where it actually has a lot of neat applications beyond "kill everything" and "let none pass". Defensive sets now can deal damage and buff defenses and mix sets can pull a Serperior and burn everything to ashes. I think this sort of diversity is pretty rare to come by, which is neat unto itself.
  • Mega Garchomp: Not bad. The pseudo-increase in bulk is a nice way to increase its effectiveness against offensive teams, which tends to be the biggest issue when using it. That and now you have offensive Lando-T on steroids (besides the lack of U-Turn) if you wanted to spend your Mega on that. It didn't strike me as meta-defining, but I think there's value in nominations that we know at a glance will fit in the meta well without breaking it
  • Raichu: Where's Tail Glow Pikachu? Show some love to the true mascot! Jokes aside, on paper this thing looks terrifying with a TG up, especially since you can't use Thundurus to bail you out if you let it set up. I only wonder if its meh bulk will really let it happen; without that TG up, it's not particularly threatening
  • Mega Aggron: I enjoy this one greatly simply because it's like having a miniature Dialga in OU, and I've always wanted something to that effect in OU. Plus, Dragon + Steel's a really nice offensive combo. It trades a lot of resistances, but being able to get rid of the gaping Fire weakness is really nice.
Also I don't think it's being ninja'd when it's one post of a set followed by a post with a paragraph but whatever.

Mega Aggron and Steel / Dragon is freaking awesome. That's a great all-around typing that gives it a ton of great resists. I also like it because it's something we really don't have in the current OU metagame. Only two weaknesses in Fighting and Ground make this extremely easy to compensate for in a balanced core, and you all know how much I love a good Mega-led balanced core. I can already see Mega Aggron-Togekiss core being really easy to build around.

Mega Chomp and Intimidate is decent. Would be better if the base had Intimidate and the Mega had Rough Skin, but still not bad. Big potential for a hard hitting tank because it really doesn't need to invest in offense all that much.

Raichu and Tali Glow: legit surprised this hasn't been done yet... by GF. Seems like the ultimate fan service move. But 350 speed + wide coverage (GK, FBlast, Surf, Hidden Power) + Tail Glow seems like a scary combo to switch into and makes for a good cleaner.

Nape and Contary: I love Nape, and I see the appeal, but between Serperior already existing (read: less uniqueness) and it's STAB combo being somewhat easily checked I'm not loving this right now. Still good potential, but I'm just not really as into it as the others. Oh, and CC powered defensive sets would be the new Cosmic Power Clefable.

Mega Draggron is in the early lead for me right now.

Contrary Infernape seems so fun to use. I think it'll emerge as a much more viable threat.
Infernape already counters most Bisharp, Weavile, Ttar, etc. Even better with Contrary Close Combat.

Any buff to Infernape is one I can get behind, and Contrary is a very nice buff, increasing both a special set's viability, as well as a psychical one. Overheat is basically a Serperior's Leaf Storm, but hits harder and is a better offensive typing.
And Close Combat can work as a Cosmic Power of sorts, still hitting everything it did before, but only increasing its defenses. Solid buff.

I would post my thoughts on the other slates, but I'm lazy .3.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Infernape + Contrary:
This is essentially a fire type Serperior that's much slower, but also gets a free nasty plot boost via Overheat instead of Leaf Storm, and has a much better and versitile moveset on the special side as well as duel STAB. I'd be more excited for this if its speed tier wasn't so underwhelming, since it'll get checked/countered by things like Keldeo, Lati@s, LO Starmie, etc. However, it does get special priority in the form of Vacuum Wave, which of course is boosted by overheat, which can help it deal with things that would check/counter it without that move, like Keldeo on the switch for example:

252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 129-152 (39.9 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 160-188 (49.5 - 58.2%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO

Should be a guaranteed 2hko after rocks if Keldeo isn't running lefties.

EDIT:
Oh right, CC buffs your defenses too. This thing is probably getting my vote now.
--

Mega Chomp + Intimidate:
Not a huge fan of this one tbh. If I were to ever use Mega Chomp, I would use it offensively on a sand team (without Sand Force, it becomes less viable offensively). With this ability, it becomes a bit more viable defensively, BUT, I believe that Rocky Helmet Garchomp is far better than M-Chomp + Intimidate. Garchomp has Rough Skin and the ability to hold an item, while M-Chomp cannot even carry leftovers (which hurts it a lot IMO, since it has no good reliable recovery). While the bulk of M-Chomp + Intimidate is > than Garchomp, Garchomp's ability to bruise the hell out of physical attackers that want to take it on is much, MUCH more scary and troublesome to deal with that the former.

--

Raichu + Tail Glow:
Eh...
Not much for me to say about this one really. I don't think Tail Glow is a significant enough upgrade to Nasty Plot for it to become OU viable. It's just a slightly stronger Raichu in my eyes, though its speed tier is pretty decent in this meta, so this isn't completely worthless, I guess.

--

Mega Aggron + Dragon/Steel Typing
This is such a good typing defensively (This basically makes it a physical version of Dialga for OU... sorta). It loses resistances to Fairy, Dragon, and Ice, but it can still tank neutral hits incredibly well, and gaining a fire neutrality and water/electric resist just lets this thing switch into many more things. It's also pretty convenient that this thing already gets a few good Dragon type moves already, which will become STAB, such as Dragon Claw, Outrage, Dragon Tail, Dragon Pulse lol.

I'll post something more substantive later, but first:

This project is #1 project. The quality of discussion is extra good and I'm really happy to see the "messages have been posted since you loaded this page. View them?" message regularly while I'm slowly typing out my thoughts each time around.

Speaking of which, here are my drive-by impressions: Contrary Infernape really stands out to me because of its lovely support movepool to pair with Close Combat: it gets reliable recovery in Slack Off, Stealth Rock, and you might be able to pull off a bizarre "double dance" set with Close Combat and your offensive boosting move of choice: Nape gets most of them. Oh wait, scratch that: you can double dance with 100+ BP STABs. Holy cow.

M-Chomp + Intimidate Is pretty cool on a few levels, mostly because it then (like Gyarados) has the really cool ability to pick and choose depending on whether you need something above 100 Speed (regular chomp) or the emergency -1 that intimidate provides. I'll need to calc this out, but it might be interesting if the extra pseudo-bulk allows it to take on something new, although M-Chomp can already be really difficult to switch into.

Raichu +Tail Glow might be interesting because of Raichu's movepool but I have zero experience with GF's least favorite mon so I dunno.

Mega Aggron + Dragon Type: nice. A Dragon that isn't weak to Ice, Dragon, or Fairy (dat synergy tho) is just lovely. I see the Council loves these fun defensive boosts and this appears to create a Dragon/Steel/Fairy with Fur Coat Granbull or with mixed defensive Unaware Clef, two very solid looking theorymon stall cores. Stall conspiracy intensifies.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Contrary Infernape: Holy crap, what a monster! We've got Contrary Serperior, something that we thought would be nearly unstoppable in a battle. Though the problem with it is its lack of coverage, leaving it prone to things like Heatran without Hidden Power Ground and Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn without Hidden Power Fire. But with Infernape, while it lacks the excellent Speed tier that Serperior has, it has power and plenty of coverage to more than make up for it. With Overheat, Infernape becomes a very lethal wallbreaker that's capable of breaking through defensive teams, granting it a free Nasty Plot boost after each hit, and the initial hit is pretty powerful as well. But Contrary doesn't just raise its offensive potential, but also improves its defenses thanks to Close Combat, which lets it threaten Heatran and could let it pull off a bulky wallbreaker kind of set. Add a burn immunity and Slack Off to the mix, and you have what can potentially be a monstrous force to be reckoned with. While it might not have the defenses or the Speed (to an extent) to get a boost, it can always forgo a bulky set and use a powerful Choice Scarf set to revenge kill and potentially start a sweep from there. I'm curious to see how this would perform in OU, and just can't resist voting for it.

Intimidate Mega Garchomp: Mega Garchomp is usually seen without using its ability, and seeing as it only activates when Tyranitar and Hippowdon are present, it shouldn't be surprising that Sand Force sees seldom use. With Intimidate, Mega Garchomp can pose as a threat to physical attackers, as it's already able to take a hit thanks to its almost unreal natural bulk, but Intimidate means even Azumarill of all things can't always OHKO:

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Garchomp: 318-374 (89 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

So with this, it's perfectly clear that unless you use super effective attacks, even hard hitters like Mega Metagross and Excadrill fail to 2HKO without hazard support, thus making Mega Garchomp an amazing tank at times. Top this off with Mega Garhomp's already great offensive potential, it can act as a half wallbreaker, half physical sweeper stopper, so it has multiple uses on a team which will really make choosing between it and another Pokemon tough. I honestly really like this Theorymon, and wouldn't mind it at all if this won.

Tail Glow Raichu: This one took me by surprise, but while it does seem like a ludicrous buff, I'll have to admit that I like it. With just a single Tail Glow, Raichu is capable of 2HKOing Chansey of all things with Focus Blast, which should be a huge indicator of its sweeping prowess. Consider the fact that it gets moves like Surf, Grass Knot, and Focus Blast to help in the coverage department, and Raichu can very quickly turn into a problem for defensive teams, and even offensive teams if given the right support. However, Raichu's defenses will rarely ever hold against attackers, and 110 Speed is only the bare minimum for a sweeper these days, so its role would be best served as a wallbreaker. However, that role is challenged by Manaphy, who has much more bulk and Hydration + Rain Dance + Rest to keep itself healthy, so Raichu might have difficulty functioning in OU. However, Raichu can really clean up when it actually does get said support, as adding +3 to even base 90 Special Attack can lead to some pretty powerful results. It's not an amazing buff, but I do find this interesting nonetheless.

Steel / Dragon type Mega Aggron: This one's a bit weird, but still has its uses. With the new secondary Dragon typing, Mega Aggron sheds its Fire weakness and gains Water and Electric resistances, which is good for facing Azumarill, Mega Charizard X, Thundurus, and Mega Manectric. Losing Dragon, Ice, and Fairy resistances might be a bit unfortunate, but the extra resistances let Mega Aggron approach bigger names more easily, and Mega Aggron can take attacks pretty well anyways. It also powers up Dragon Tail, which can add onto hazard stacking damage quite nicely, as well as Dragon Claw to dish out the pain on some Steel resistors, such as Keldeo, Rotom-W, Mega Charizard X, Talonflame, and Mega Gyarados, so Mega Aggron benefits from the type change defensively and offensively. Not much to say about this one, but I feel that this is all that I need to say. I like it, and would be fine if this won.

Aw, the fairies win again ;_;. Anyway, let's see!

Contrary Infernape: Boy, Contrary is an ability that just begs for better abusers, huh? The only (relevant?) moves Infernape packs are Close Combat and Overheat, but they do pack a wallop. Its very nice movepool (Grass Knot on a mixed Fire/Fighting, seriously?) goes well with the special boosts -- Vacuum Wave in particular stands out, as its speed tier of 108 is good but still falls prey to the power creep since its release gen. Not so hot on Close Combat, though -- its 76/71/71 defenses aren't horrible, but they won't be walling anything of note even at +1. Honestly it's looking like a slightly slower and much, much more versatile Serperior, and given how Smuglord went from absolute garbage to B-rank, I'd say this merits keeping an eye on.

Tail Glow Raichu: Not a fan, to be honest. Tail Glow is a hell of a boosting move (as all +3 moves are), and the power it gives lets it run Timid to get maximum dividends from the coveted 110 speed tier, but the question with all setup sweepers is glaring here: what does it set up on? Its pathetic bulk means it isn't about to tank anything for a boost, and an unboosted 90 SpA isn't forcing anything much out, considering its options are limited to STAB, Grass Knot, Focus Miss and HP. Unless some real merits come to light, probably not getting my vote.

Intimidate Mega Garchomp: The victim of one of the most underwhelming Mega evos strikes back. Having lost its crucial speed, now it at least gets some pseudo-bulk. 108/115 is just short of Hippowdon's defenses, and while lack of recovery and quad Ice weakness mean this one's not gonna be a wall, its eerily Kyu-B offenses turn it into a pretty great tank. While I'll need to check some calcs to see exactly how its situation improves, a great physical pivot that can hit very hard from both offenses is something that I believe OU hasn't seen yet. Do like.

Dragon/Steel Mega Aggron: In the interests of full disclosure, I would like to mention that my level of Dragon fanboyism is rarely seen outside 9-year-olds and that I find Dragon/Steel to be the sickest typing ever. With that said, oh man do I like this one. While losing the resistances to Fairy and Dragon (and Ice, I suppose) hurts it a bit, I do think it has plenty more to gain. It loses its Fire weakness -- a big factor, considering its much lower special defense and most Fire attacks being special-- and gains resistances to Electric and Water (and also quad Grass, lol), which is pretty huge. Dragon/Steel is also a pretty good STAB combo, coming off its considerable (if itemless) 140 attack. Though if we weren't supposed to consider the submissions in a vacuum, I'd wonder about competition with the unbreakable bulldog, haha.

Honestly, Tail Glow Raichu is pretty darn sick. I mean after 1 boost this thing is incredibly scary. It has great coverage, and sits on that crucial 110 speed benchmark. Plus, being an electric type, it is immune to Thunder wave (and when you add Lighting Rod into the mix you are double immune to Thunder Wave, and Soak/T-Wave Lanturn can't paralyze you *important*).

I mean just look at your special walls:

+3 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 338-398 (52.6 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+3 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 398-468 (101 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+3 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 416-494 (105.8 - 125.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+3 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 36 SpD Sylveon: 286-339 (72.5 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+3 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Focus Blast vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 155-183 (40.6 - 48%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 481-567 (124.9 - 147.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+3 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 159-187 (43.6 - 51.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Surf vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 562-663 (133.8 - 157.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+3 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Surf vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 455-538 (129.2 - 152.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+3 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 502-593 (142.6 - 168.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+3 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 236 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 261-308 (74.3 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The only thing off the top of my head that can switch into a +3 attack is Specially invested Mega Venusaur.

Obviously it will have substantial difficulties setting up, but once its there its speed and coverage will take it a long way.
It is also really prone to priority and Scarf mons, But Raichu's wall breaking power is undeniable.

The rest of the slate is also really cool. Yet another epic slate.

Dragon Steel is epic defensive typing, and Mega Aggron I think will also really appreciate some extra chip damage on STAB Dragon Tail.

Most people have already covered what makes Infernape really awesome. Tbh I think it will be most fun as a Tank with CC as it is more unique. Something along the lines of:

Infernape @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Slack Off
- Blaze Kick
- Wil-o-wisp / Stealth Rock / Coverage

would be really fun to use.

Intimidate Garchomp is probably my least favorite but still really cool. The pseudo increase in bulk allows it to take physical hits like a beast even with 0 investment:

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Garchomp: 139-165 (38.9 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Garchomp: 127-150 (35.5 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

And it still hits like a truck. You could even opt to go a a dedicated physical wall and hit really hard:

-1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mega Garchomp: 102-121 (24.2 - 28.8%) -- 99.1% chance to 4HKO
4 Atk Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Metagross: 270-318 (89.7 - 105.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Nice slate guys, keep it up!

Intimidate Mega Garchomp
holy shit. This thing would be THE defined bulky offence poke. Only ice types will break it Phisically.
As to people saying it does not have a recovery move, did gyrados? I can draw a LOT of comparisons with normal gyrados. Somewhat middleing speed, intimidate, high offensive power, set up capabilities. you can make it come out on resists and fire off draco metors of hell or earthquakes of doom out of 165 atk.
Dragon steel Mega Aggron
I like the concept, but noe filter becomes sorta useless... i mean the reason filter is good is because it covers steels multiple weakness while taking advantage of being resisted to everything else.
Tail glow raichu
It can't even set up with its bulk. Try quiver dance. THAT might work, especially on light ball pikachu.
Contrary Infernape
does anyone get how LETHAL this is? Holy hell. it totally shits on multiple stuff. You try to wall it specially? Too bad close combat, and there goes the two biggest things that can POSSIBLY stop overheat span, leaving...dragon types?

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
ape i dit ctrl+f defog and no mention whatsover. i mean ok contrary ape is nice with overheat and cc, but coming on a defog is just so beautiful to watch. if it weren't for this i wouldn't like this one for the mindlessly awesome buff it is.
ground dino k this looks fun, b/w rough skin pre evo and intimidate post it, it's certainly something that i will think over
rat Raichu is...idk it's not as fast as i thought it is(i thought it's 130 smh). sure with 1 turn of set up it's a threat, but then most things are after 1 turn TG.
steel dino you lose fairy ice n dragon resistance, while gaining elementary resistances and no new weakness and neutrality to fire. i'll always believe that reliable recovery is what m-aggron and registeel needs to be good. atm i think it'll be decent on paper but fall short of achieving what it's supposed to.

Let me just talk about Infernape for a moment. I really do not like this change because I think it would be insanely broken. See how good Serperior is with such terrible coverage? Well, let's amplify that by ten and then give it to a Pokemon with 29 more SpA and Atk. With Close Combat. And Superpower. And Overheat. See where I'm going with this? What can safely switch into this combination? Nothing, at all. Heatran can't switch into Overheat to be smacked up by Close Combat, while the only other Pokemon (just looking at the Viability rankings here) that can bother to switch in is Mega Altaria. Well, after one Overheat, the second hit KOes Mega Altaria from full HP. Even a bulky Dragon-type with a resistance to its other moves can switch in safely! What about Hippowdon? OHKOed from full health with a +2 Overheat. The only thing that beats this Pokemon 100% of the time is Talonflame, and it can only revenge kill, or it risks being OHKOed by Overheat. I'd also like to mention that, in the scenario this happens, if Infernape gets enough Close Combat boosts (+3 to be exact), Choice Band Talonflame's Brave Bird is not a OHKO. This will not be getting my vote at all, because I feel like it's far too broken for the OU metagame. Instead, I'd like to see Intimidate Mega Garchomp win. I'll post why in a bit.

Let me just talk about Infernape for a moment. I really do not like this change because I think it would be insanely broken. See how good Serperior is with such terrible coverage? Well, let's amplify that by ten and then give it to a Pokemon with 29 more SpA and Atk. With Close Combat. And Superpower. And Overheat. See where I'm going with this? What can safely switch into this combination? Nothing, at all. Heatran can't switch into Overheat to be smacked up by Close Combat, while the only other Pokemon (just looking at the Viability rankings here) that can bother to switch in is Mega Altaria. Well, after one Overheat, the second hit KOes Mega Altaria from full HP. Even a bulky Dragon-type with a resistance to its other moves can switch in safely! What about Hippowdon? OHKOed from full health with a +2 Overheat. The only thing that beats this Pokemon 100% of the time is Talonflame, and it can only revenge kill, or it risks being OHKOed by Overheat. I'd also like to mention that, in the scenario this happens, if Infernape gets enough Close Combat boosts (+3 to be exact), Choice Band Talonflame's Brave Bird is not a OHKO. This will not be getting my vote at all, because I feel like it's far too broken for the OU metagame. Instead, I'd like to see Intimidate Mega Garchomp win. I'll post why in a bit.
Sadly, Nape doesn't seem to learn Superpower. I'll post about the slate when I'm not on my phone.

Contrary Infernape
Definitely going to be a threat. It has two great moves to abuse it, Close Combat and Overheat, and this makes it a very powerful mixed attacker that is hard to wall. Kind of like Serperior, except it hits harder and is much harder to wall, thanks to it's epic dual STABs and better power. Pretty much every Fire resist in the tier gets hit neutrally by Close Combat, besides Azumarill, but if it switches in on Overheat it just gets bopped by Grass Knot.

Intimidate Mega Garchomp
To be honest, this isn't really that much of a buff. Previously, Mega Garchomp's main niche was on sand teams where it could break down walls with ease thanks to Sand Force. Now Mega Garchomp will be more of a defensive mega. A cool set that would seem some usage is Rest / Sleep Talk / Dragon Tail / Stealth Rock (Earthquake), acting as a RestTalk tank that can phaze, while also being a great answer to Bisharp, something stall teams struggle with. As a stall mega, Garchomp still faces lots of competition from Pokemon such as Mega Venusaur, Mega Sableye, and Mega Slowbro. Not really a big fan of this as Intimidate takes away it's old niche, gives it a new niche, but Intimidate doesn't really take advantage of it's offensive stats, so not much of a buff in my opinion.

Tail Glow Raichu
I don't really like this one either. It's bulk is really pathetic, so it doesn't have many opportunities to set up, and can easily be revenge killed by scarfers or just faster Pokemon because it's bulk is just so bad. 110 speed tier also isn't so amazing as some people think, it still ties with other base 110s, but sadly it can't outspeed them, which would've been much better. As for destroying special walls and stall teams, I would much rather use Tail Glow Manaphy; reliable recovery, and better bulk. Against offensive teams, it won't have many opportunities to set up because of constant offensive pressure, and even if it does get the chance, it can easily be revenge killed by common scarfers on HO such as Landorus-T and Keldeo.

Dragon / Steel Mega Aggron
I'm kind of sitting on the fence for this one. Dragon typing takes away it's Fire- weakness, as well as adding resistances against Water-, Electric-, and Grass- type moves. However, it does give it a neutrality to Ice, Dragon, and Fairy. I still feel that the main flaw of Mega Aggron is reliable recovery, and a Dragon-typing doesn't help it in that sense. It's still pretty nice as it can check a lot more mons such as Keldeo and Thundurus, but it makes it a bit more vulnerable to Fairy-types such as Mega Diancie.

I don't really like any mon on this slate besides Contrary Infernape, but it's insanely hard to wall, thanks to good coverage and great dual STABs. Might even be broken, I guess. If Contrary Infernape gets removed, I'll probably be voting for Dragon / Steel Mega Aggron because Aggron is cool.

Sadly, Nape doesn't seem to learn Superpower. I'll post about the slate when I'm not on my phone.
This is my biggest problem with it too, TBH. Now, Close Combat is great, but with no way to boost physically, I feel like there's someone staring back with a giant troll face despite having Nasty Plot Overheat. It's not bad, mind you, far from it! It just seems to be so close to perfection that I can't help but feel bad for it almost clenching perfection in its grasp. It doesn't even get Hammer Arm to boost speed to get past all those faster mons in 110+.

Infernape doesn't even need Superpower to function, lol. The only reason Infernape actually packs Fighting-STAB is to get past Fire resists such as Tyranitar and weakened Garchomp. It has equal offensive stats, and Overheat boosts much faster, as well as having far more power. Close Combat is good enough, it makes Infernape much harder to revenge kill, and of course, Superpower and Hammer Arm would be great for just about any Contrary Pokemon, but Infernape is great without Superpower.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Yeah, Close Combat is what I was thinking of just to punch past Special walls while also having a solid defensive boost. Focus Blast just isn't reliable enough. If it learned Superpower or Hammer Arm then obviously that would be great, but Close Combat is enough.

Anyhow, yeah, mixed Overheat Infernape or bulky WoW/Close Combat/Slack Off/Taunt both sound really cool. Regarding the rest of the slate...

Intimidate Mega-Garchomp gets better the more I look at it. On stall, max Defense Garchomp using RestTalk with EQ and Dragon Tail would be fantastic, as it can easily tank a Knock Off or Sucker Punch from Bisharp even at +1, and it can be a nice stop to a lot in the tier. On bulky offense, Swords Dance would shred through slower teams, and Intimidate plus good bulk gives it a lot of set-up opportunities. If it weren't for the fact that it was slated against two other really outstanding options, I'd be happy to vote for this one.

Tail Glow Raichu isn't really doing it for me. Yeah, it has a nice Speed tier and hits hard once it has a boost - but it really has trouble setting up, and anything that it can't OHKO has a good chance of stopping it hard. This is easily my least favorite on the slate. Nice flavor, though, for whatever that's worth.

Dragon/Steel M-Aggron is a thing of beauty. I really like the Contrary Monkey, but this is going to be very hard to vote against. This is one of the best defensive typings in the game, and it's going on one of the biggest defensive monsters around. While stall might love it, I'm imagining it used primarily as a bulky SR setter on balance teams, where it would be an extremely effective defensive pivot as well.

Contrary Infernape is broken
wat.

Real talk, this thing is FAR from broken. The only way this thing is broken is if we ban Choice Scarf from OU. Wanna know what's been KILLING the usage statistics lately?
*knock knock*
"Who's there?"
"Landorus-Therian"

Yeah Scarf Lando is on a massive number of teams and can EASILY RK Infernape. Same goes for Keldeo. And don't even get me started on SmogBird. There are plenty of popular threats circulating that can revenge KO Infernape.

Moving on…

I'll post some official calcs later when I can, but I reeeeeally think everyone is underselling Mega Garchomp here. Does it lost Sand Force? Yes. But it gains a niche as a bulky af hard-hitting tank that requires NO team support whatsoever. Pretty much the only thing it loses is a situational immediate power boost. I would much rather have a Pokemon that can consistently take hits and slam back on either side of the attacking spectrum. Very likely getting my vote because I'd like to see more tanks in OU.

Contrary Infernape: This nomination has me conflicted, just because it almost seems like it could be too good. Serperior is held back because its power before boosting is mediocre, it only boosts offensively with no way to boost its mediocre bulk, and its coverage is lacking. Consider this thing hit B already on that principle. Infernape has pretty much everything Serperior could want: fantastic (STAB) coverage in just 2 moves, usually only needing one or two coverage options (if that)
+2 88 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 406-478 (103 - 121.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
That leaves Infernape room to run something like Slack Off for recovery. Close Combat boosting its defenses helps bolster it against weaker Priority and damage from defensive mons like Slowbro's Scald. The lower speed is admittedly troublesome, but some CC boosts could bolster him enough to survive a revenge attempt
+2 168 SpA Life Orb Infernape Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 250-296 (83 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. +2 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 226-268 (77.1 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. +2 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 252-296 (86 - 101%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

+2 168 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 278-330 (115.3 - 136.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. +2 0 HP / 0- SpD Infernape: 135-159 (46 - 54.2%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. +2 0 HP / 0- SpD Infernape: 149-177 (50.8 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Intimidate Mega Garchomp: I think this one has what I'm going to call "Dance Krook syndrome", where it's a phenomenal mon that's unfortunately overshadowed by something even better on the same slate (Infernape and for my money, Aggron). Not sure what I can say. This thing would essentially become a more resilient wallbreaker than Kyurem-B with SR resistance, Intimidate and typing, making him a really amazing offensive pivot. Also unlike Kyu-B, Garchomp's movepool is good enough for him to fully orient to either spectrum without sacrificing too much in the way of coverage. Could even play him a bit like Tank chomp if his greater speed is needed early game, then go Mega to Intimidate a particular attacker and shift momentum in his favor. What makes Garchomp interesting to me is that, compared to other Intimidate users, he gets to choose when he reveals and starts using it (Manectric has to evolve, and others always have it active) to avoid letting it boost Bisharp for example.

Tail Glow Raichu: This is something that might be decent, but Raichu I just think is a mon who's held back by multiple factors that Theorymon can't fix in one slate. Tail glow gives it fantastic wallbreaking potential, and unlike Manaphy its speed is just high enough that it could sweep as well as break. That said, Raichu's speed is only okay to do that, its mono-Electric typing doesn't do it the best when combined with its underwhelming bulk, which makes set-up opportunities against anything but walls virtually non-existent. Its coverage is pretty good, but the moves themselves don't always hit as hard as they need to on Electric Resists, though being able to 2HKO Chansey is impressive for Base 90 Special Attack. Something I wouldn't mind seeing again, but probably not getting my vote this slate.

Dragon/Steel Mega Aggron: Now here's a theorymon I can find plenty to appreciate about. Some people have noted the resistances it loses (Fairy, Ice, and Dragon), but the weaknesses/neutralities Aggron loses seem to more than balance out (Electric, Fire, Water) in his case. Aggron's mainly physically bulky, so gaining resistances/neutralities to those mainly special types does more for him in my opinion than those lost resistances. A Dragon STAB to abuse on Dragon Claw or Tail helps rack up chip damage and give him a more consistent damage source than Heavy Slam, not to mention just better coverage. Filter still does plenty of work, since his only two weaknesses (Fighting and Ground) are physical, so its still feasible for Aggron to try and stomach them on bulk and Filter's help. Whether I vote for this or Infernape depends on whether I'm swayed to find Infernape broken in discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)