OU War Story [Imp Squad]

Some months ago, I quit OU. I battle exclusively in UU and hated any discussion of the OU metagame. I took some time off from Pokemon as a whole a while back. When I came back, I decided it was time to try OU again. I've built several teams since then and have had success with all of them. The team featured in this log is my third one I built. I'm a simplistic kind of guy, so this is the most you'll probably get out of me. This is my first real log.

My Team:
In order of appearance:

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause, Soul Dew Clause

vs

Mareep sent out Jirachi.
Mr.D sent out Bronzong.
Mr.D switched in Mr. Mime.
Jirachi used Trick.
Jirachi obtained Choice Scarf!
Mr. Mime obtained Choice Scarf!

Bronzong is almost always Trick bait. There are a few instance of Bandzong to worry about. My Jirachi wouldn’t really mind a Choice Band though, so I wasn't worried if Bronzong decided to stay in. So I let it fly and in comes… Mr. Mime. Looking back, I was happy Jirachi stuck with the Choice Scarf because it would help further down the line.

Well, Mr. Mime has done its job and now I’m stuck in Trick. I have no choice but to switch out. At this point, I have no idea what his Mr. Mime’s set could possibly be. I’m almost certain it’s carrying Psychic and Thunderbolt. Celebi would probably be the best choice here, despite the possibility of Signal Beam or Shadow Ball as well. Celebi really wouldn’t mind a Scarf either if he decided to take that route.

vs

Mareep switched in Celebi.
Mr. Mime used Thunderbolt.
It's not very effective...
Celebi lost 14% of its health.

vs

Mr.D switched in Dragonite.
Celebi used Thunder Wave.
Dragonite is paralysed! It may be unable to move!

vs

Mareep switched in Jirachi.
Dragonite used Toxic.
It doesn't affect Jirachi...

Well I was lucky with my switch and came in to take the unboosted Thunderbolt with Celebi. Now I knew a switch was coming and in my experience, most of the common switch-ins barring Blissey were adverse to paralysis. I wasn't worried about Ground-types switching in and ruining the surprise due to the threat of Grass Knot.

My opponent switches in Dragonite. Most variations relied on their Speed to be useful so I considered this a victory in my book. However, my Celebi has nothing that can touch Dragonite so I had to switch. Jirachi seemed like the best bet. I was worried about the possibility of a Fire-Type move, but Jirachi was at enough health to take one more move. To my surprise, his Dragonite lets loose a Toxic. Luckily, my Jirachi is immune and my switch is successful. It appeared I had the supporter Dragonite set on my hands. They normally invested in Special Defense, so I knew I could hit hard with my Jirachi's move pool. However, Jirachi lacks Ice Punch so I had to rely on Iron Head here.

Jirachi used Iron Head.
Dragonite lost 37% of its health.
Dragonite used Flamethrower.
It's super effective!
Jirachi lost 42% of its health.
Dragonite's leftovers restored its health a little!
Dragonite restored 6% of its health.

Dragonite's Leftovers recovery will be edited out for the duration of the battle.

Jirachi used Iron Head.
Dragonite lost 36% of its health.
Dragonite is paralysed! It can't move!

Jirachi used Iron Head.
Dragonite lost 37% of its health.
Dragonite used Roost.
Dragonite restored 50% of its health.

Jirachi used Iron Head.
Dragonite lost 35% of its health.
Dragonite used Heal Bell.

vs

Mr.D switched in Metagross.
Jirachi used Iron Head.
Metagross lost 11% of its health.
Metagross's leftovers restored its health a little!
Metagross restored 6% of its health.

Metagross's Leftovers recovery will be edited out for the duration of the battle.

Luck wasn't really on my side in those few turns. I was hoping for some paraflinch hax, but the natural bulk of Dragonite on top of its investment in HP helped it survive three Iron Heads. In the end, Dragonite was back at full HP and clear of status thanks to Heal Bell. On top of that, he switched in Metagross, which left me at undesirable position. However, the whole chain of events wasn't all in vain. I now knew Dragonite's entire move set which surprisingly lacked a Dragon-type move. Without STAB moves, switching into it would much easier.

Metagross was a tricky switch-in for me. I knew it wasn't the Choice Band variation due to the Leftovers recovery. Without a boost to Metagross's power, Celebi seemed like the best candidate. It has natural bulk and most Metagross lack the ability to hit it super effectively outside of the occasional Ice Punch.

vs

Metagross used Earthquake.
Celebi lost 15% of its health.

Metagross is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Metagross used Light Screen.
A barrier was formed!

My prediction skills worked once again and Celebi was able to come in on the unboosted Earthquake (I wish my prediction was this good the entire match). I should of used Hidden Power Fire, but instead I went for the Thunder Wave. Instead of another switch, my opponent instead threw up Light Screen. Again, I was thrown off by the unusual set my opponent was running. At this point, I had a feeling he was setting up for a particular Pokemon at this point. I still wasn't sure who it could possibly be. I decided to play it safe next turn and Recover off damage Celebi had accumulated.

vs

Celebi used Recover.
Celebi restored 29% of its health.

Dragonite is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Dragonite is paralysed! It can't move!

vs

Mareep switched in Mamoswine.
Dragonite used Heal Bell.

vs

Mr.D switched in Bronzong.
Mamoswine used Ice Shard.
Bronzong lost 11% of its health.
Mamoswine lost 10% of its health.
Bronzong's light screen wore off!
Bronzong's leftovers restored its health a little!
Bronzong restored 6% of its health.

Bronzong's Leftovers recovery will be edited out for the duration of the battle.

Dragonite appears again as I Recover. I decided to paralyze it again to force it to Heal Bell and let my Dragon-type check get a free switch-in. My plan worked and Mamoswine switched in unscathed. I should of known better to think he would keep Dragonite in against Mamoswine. I was thinking he would possibly think he was safe with Flamethrower, but I was wrong. Bronzong is the best Mamoswine counter in the game so I knew I was pretty helpless. I hadn't seen anything of Bronzong's move set yet, so I decided to set up Stealth Rock while checking out what it had up its sleeve.

Mamoswine used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Bronzong used Calm Mind.
Bronzong's special attack was raised.
Bronzong's special defence was raised.

I have to admit that I was pretty thrown off to see it use Calm Mind. This variant was pretty rare and I wasn't sure what to expect from it. From past experiences with it, I was pretty sure it carried Grass Knot which would probably spell the end of Mamoswine who I needed to keep alive for Dragonite. So I decided to switch to Jirachi who could probably take anything Bronzong could throw at it.

vs

Bronzong used Block.
Jirachi was trapped!

vs

Pointed stones dug into Mr. Mime.
Mr. Mime lost 12% of its health.
Jirachi used Trick.
Jirachi obtained Choice Scarf!
Mr. Mime obtained Choice Scarf!

If I had left Mamoswine in, I would of been helpless as he set up Calm Mind with his Bronzong as I died of Life Orb recoil because of Block. Luckily, I had switched Jirachi who could actually do some damage to Bronzong. I had to decide whether to use Fire Punch or Trick at this point. Bronzong was at full health and an unboosted Fire Punch would be a 3HKO at best. Instead, I decided to try get it caught using Calm Mind again. However, my opponent predicted the Trick again and switched to Mr. Mime, once again rendering my Jirachi useless. Celebi still seemed like the best bet so I made the switch.

vs

Mr. Mime used Trick.
Mr. Mime obtained Life Orb!
Celebi obtained Choice Scarf!

vs

Pointed stones dug into Dragonite.
Dragonite lost 25% of its health.
Celebi used Leaf Storm.
Dragonite lost 9% of its health.
Celebi's special attack was harshly lowered.

Well, these turns didn't go exactly to plan. He predicted my Celebi switch and stuck it with Choice Scarf. While it didn't exactly hinder Celebi, it wasn't the best item for this particular set. I decided to go for broke and try to do some damage to Mr. Mime. However, my opponent outpredicted me and switched Dragonite to absorb the Leaf Storm. I figured with Stealth Rock damage, he'd Roost so I saw another opportunity for Mamoswine to switch in.

vs

Dragonite used Roost.
vs

Mareep switched in Azelf.
Pointed stones dug into Bronzong.
Bronzong lost 6% of its health.

vs

Pointed stones dug into Metagross.
Metagross lost 6% of its health.
Azelf used Fire Blast.
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 91% of its health.
Azelf lost 10% of its health.

I predicted correctly and Mamoswine switched in unharmed. I wasn't going to make the same mistake though. I knew Bronzong was coming in again, so I knew I had to make another switch. Azelf possessed Fire Blast, which would do massive amounts of damage to Bronzong. Due to it being a Calm Mind variant, I knew Azelf was even more safe as Bronzong probably lacked Gyro Ball.

Strangely, he switches in Metagross who is nearly KO'd by Fire Blast. I figured he wouldn't keep Metagross in so I decided to U-Turn and switch to the proper check for whatever was coming in. And if he decided to keep Metagross in, it would be KO'd by U-Turn.

->
vs

Mr.D switched in Latias.
Pointed stones dug into Latias.
Latias lost 12% of its health.
Azelf used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Latias lost 71% of its health.
Azelf lost 10% of its health.

Well, this switch went in my favor. U-Turn does massive amounts of damage to Latias and in comes my Mamoswine. Silly me thinks he'll stay in due to Latias's superior speed, so I decide to go for the Ice Shard and get rid of the pesky Dragon.

vs

Bronzong lost 13% of its health.

vs

Mareep switched in Azelf.
Bronzong used Block.
Azelf was trapped!

vs

Mr.D switched in Heatran.
Pointed stones dug into Heatran.
Heatran lost 12% of its health.
Azelf used Fire Blast.
Heatran's Flash Fire raised its fire power!

Heatran used Overheat.
Azelf lost 80% of its health.
Mareep's Azelf fainted.
Heatran's special attack was harshly lowered.

Those few turns are prime examples of why you should never underestimate your opponent. He first switches in Bronzong to take the predicted Ice Shard. Knowing either Block or Calm Mind is coming, I decide to bring in Azelf who comes in unscathed. I let loose another Fire Blast, expecting Metagross to come in as death fodder. Unfortunately for me, he switches in Heatran who receives a nice boost to his Fire-type moves.

Now at this point, I was totally unsure of Heatran's move set due to this being its first time appearing. If I had been thinking clearly, I would of switched to Vaporeon to take the predicted Fire-type attack and threaten Heatran out with the fear of Surf. In my time battling lately, the number of ScarfTran had seemed to drop. So I thought I could outspeed Heatran with Azelf and KO it with Hidden Power Fighting. Unfortunately I was wrong and Azelf was KO'd by a boosted Overheat. Twenty-eight turns in and we have our first KO. Unfortunately, its not in my favor.

Since I know he's locked in Overheat with -1 Special Attack, Vaporeon is the best switch in at this point.

6-5 Mr.D

vs

Mareep switched in Vaporeon.

Vaporeon used Surf.
Bronzong lost 65% of its health.

vs

Pointed stones dug into Mr. Mime.
Mr. Mime lost 12% of its health.
Vaporeon used Surf.
Mr. Mime lost 75% of its health.
Mr.D's Mr. Mime fainted.

vs

Mr.D switched in Latias.
Latias used Roost.
Latias restored 50% of its health.
Vaporeon used Surf.
Latias lost 35% of its health.

This time, Mr.D is the one to underestimate me. He switches in Bronzong expecting a weak Surf but instead loses over half of his HP. He then switches in Mr. Mime who is easily overwhelmed by Surf and nets me my first KO of the match.

At this point, I wasn't sure what Latias was running. The only time it had been seen, it hadn't used a move. I was half expected it to go for broke and try to do damage to Vaporeon before going down. Instead, it recovers off the damage and then some. I was in a disadvantage at this point and decided to get Vaporeon out of there.

5-5 Tie

vs

Latias used Roost.

vs

Bronzong used Rest.
Bronzong fell asleep!
Bronzong restored 98% of its health.

Latias returns to full health as Mamoswine switches in. Thinking maybe it has Surf, I go for broke and try to do some damage before Mamoswine dies. Instead, he predicts the incoming Ice Shard once again and brings in Bronzong. At this point, Bronzong is at 15% health with Leftovers recovery. I'm thinking maybe I can get the KO with Ice Shard as he goes for Grass Knot or Calm Mind. Instead, he uses Rest and returns to full health. Now, with Azelf gone, I don't really have anyone who can really overpower Bronzong. The only other Fire-type move I have is Fire Punch on Jirachi, so I go for the switch.

vs

Bronzong is fast asleep!

vs

Jirachi used Fire Punch.
Heatran's Flash Fire raised its fire power!

I should of known better than to let the Fire-type moves go freely. Once again, Heatran gets a free switch-in and the boost. I know better this time and know its time to bring in Vaporeon to take the incoming Overheat.

vs

Heatran used Overheat.
Vaporeon lost 45% of its health.

vs

Pointed stones dug into Metagross.
Metagross lost 6% of its health.
Vaporeon used Ice Beam.
Metagross lost 3% of its health.
Mr.D's Metagross fainted.

vs

Well, I predicted either Latias or Dragonite coming in to take the predicted Surf but instead got Metagross who is used as death fodder. While a small victory for me, he now knows that Bronzong can switch in easily and force my Vaporeon out. With Heatran still alive, I'm afraid to switch in Jirachi. Then I remembered that Celebi has Hidden Power Fire in its arsenal. I hadn't used it yet at this point so I knew it would come as a surprise.

5-4 Mareep

vs

Bronzong is fast asleep!

But it failed!
Bronzong woke up!
Bronzong used Calm Mind.
Bronzong's special attack was raised.
Bronzong's special defence was raised.

This is one of those accursed misclicks that can be game-changing. I basically give him a free-turn to wake up and set up Calm Mind. At this point, I'm unsure what to do. I decided to bring in Jirachi to threaten it with Fire Punch and then hit Heatran with Thunderpunch, which would hopefully net me some paralysis and make handling Heatran a million times easier.

vs

vs

Jirachi used Iron Head.
Heatran lost 10% of its health.

Jirachi used Iron Head.
Heatran lost 11% of its health.
Heatran used Overheat.
It's super effective!
Jirachi lost 58% of its health.
Mareep's Jirachi fainted.

Instead, he switches in Dragonite. I was in a great conundrum at this point. So I decided to just go with my gut and use Iron Head. However, I guess from our past experiences with each other, he knew the Iron Head was coming and switched in Heatran to resist the attack. Now I knew Vaporeon would be the best switch in, but I was afraid two Overheats would KO it. Jirachi was easily manuevered around with his remaining Pokemon. So I decided to go out with my guns blazing and try to flinch hax it to death with Iron Head. Unfortunately for me, hax once again works against me and Jirachi is KO'd by Overheat.

4-4 Tied

vs

Vaporeon used Surf.
Bronzong lost 69% of its health.

vs

Mr.D switched in Latias.
Vaporeon used Surf.
Latias lost 31% of its health.

vs

Latias used Roost.

vs

Bronzong is paralysed! It may be unable to move!

So I switch in Vaporeon to scare Heatran off. He switches in Bronzong, expecting me to use Ice Beam. Once again, it shaves off well over half of his HP leaving Bronzong in a vulnerable position once again. At this point, I should of switched of Vaporeon for my predicted switch in of Latias or Dragonite. Instead I use Surf and take off a 1/3 of its HP. Knowing she's going to Roost, I decide to bring in Celebi to hopefully paralyze it and make it easier to handle. My opponent outpredicts me again and brings in Bronzong to take the Thunder Wave. The paralysis really doesn't help because Bronzong is already slow as hell and he has Rest to get rid of it anyway.

So at this point I'm stuck with a Celebi locked into T-Wave against a paralyzed Bronzong. Knowing he's probably going to Rest, I decide to bring in Vaporeon to scare it off with Surf.

vs

Bronzong used Rest.
Bronzong fell asleep!
Bronzong restored 69% of its health.

Vaporeon used Surf.
Bronzong lost 73% of its health.
Bronzong is fast asleep!

vs

Mr.D switched in Latias.
Vaporeon used Surf.
Latias lost 31% of its health.

Latias used Calm Mind.
Latias's special attack was raised.
Latias's special defence was raised.
Vaporeon used Surf.
A critical hit!
Latias lost 32% of its health.
Mr.D's Latias fainted.

Surprisingly, he keeps in Bronzong and it does a great deal of damage to the floating bell. Thinking maybe he'll use Bronzong as death fodder to bring in Latias/Dragonite unscathed, I use Surf again but instead he switches in Latias to take the hit. Tired of this game, I decide once again to go for broke and damage Latias. In the only instance of game-changing hax in this game, Surf gets a critical hit and KOs Latias. Normally I'm not happy with hax but in this situation, I was happy to be rid of Latias as it outsped my only full health Pokemon left and it could easily KO it. Now I figured Dragonite would be making an appearance so I began thinking of the best way to handle it.

4-3 Mareep

vs.

Dragonite used Toxic.
Vaporeon was badly poisoned!
Vaporeon used Surf.
Dragonite lost 24% of its health.
Vaporeon is hurt by poison!
Vaporeon lost 6% of its health.

vs

Dragonite used Roost.

vs

Mr.D switched in Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ?).
Mamoswine used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Heatran lost 30% of its health.
Mr.D's Heatran fainted.

I was really stubborn to make Surf work it seems. Instead, I end up with a poisoned Vaporeon. I knew I had to switch at this point as the Roost was coming and I wanted Mamoswine to come in unscathed. My plan works accordingly and Mamoswine comes in untouched. For some reason, I felt like he was prepared to bring Heatran in for the final sweep. It could outrun the rest of my team and KO them easily. Vaporeon was poisoned, which made it more vulnerable to its assaults. Staraptor, Celebi and Mamoswine all couldn't handle Overheat either. So I let loose the Earthquake hoping for the best. Thankfully, my prediction was right and Heatran was finally out of the picture.

4-2 Mareep

vs

Bronzong lost 12% of its health.
Bronzong is fast asleep!

I don't know. Don't ask... I guess I was expecting Dragonite or something.

vs

Bronzong woke up!
Bronzong used Rest.
Bronzong fell asleep!
Bronzong restored 78% of its health.
Vaporeon lost 6% of its health.

vs

Vaporeon used Surf.
Dragonite lost 24% of its health.
Vaporeon lost 12% of its health.

What impressed me here was that Dragonite can actually take less damage from Vaporeon then Latias did when EV'd correctly. Regardless, Vaporeon was in an unfavorable position at this point. With his team weakened and no Stealth Rock on the field, I thought it was time to bring Staraptor in for the kill. However, I wanted to ensure it would get in without any damage. I wanted to keep Vaporeon alive just in case because of Bronzong, so I decided to bring Mamoswine in as death fodder.

vs

Dragonite used Flamethrower.
It's super effective!
Mamoswine lost 40% of its health.
Mareep's Mamoswine fainted.

3-2 Mareep

vs

Mareep switched in Staraptor.
Staraptor's intimidate cut Dragonite's attack!

Staraptor used Brave Bird.
Bronzong lost 33% of its health.
Staraptor was hit by recoil!
Staraptor lost 11% of its health.

Bronzong lost 35% of its health.
Staraptor lost 12% of its health.
Bronzong is fast asleep!

Bronzong lost 37% of its health.
Staraptor lost 12% of its health.
Bronzong is fast asleep!

I actually expected it to wake up and Rest off all the damage at this point. Luckily for me, it didn't and I knew the match was mine at this point.

Bronzong lost 7% of its health.
Mr.D's Bronzong fainted.
Staraptor lost 2% of its health.

3-1 Mareep

vs

Mr.D switched in Dragonite (lvl 100 Dragonite ?).
Dragonite lost 10% of its health.
Mr.D's Dragonite fainted.

Mareep wins! 3-0

Props:

• Mr.D for being an awesome opponent
  • Vaporeon for being underestimated and taking on most of his Mr.D's team
  • Bronzong/Dragonite's walling & support pairing (basically being huge pains in the ass)
  • Excellent prediction for both parties
  • Staraptor
Slops:

• Poor prediction with Azelf
  • Mr. Mime doing next to nothing
  • Throwing around Fire-type attacks without scouting for Heatran
Mr.D's Team in Order of Appearance

not bad. an above average battle and great commentary made it quite enjoyable. I expect more from you in the future :)

I really liked this. The commentary after several turns was more enjoyable then commentary after every move. Wasn't exactly a good battle but the odd Pokemon picks and even odder move sets made the battle interesting and kept me entertained. Good job!

I'd say this was a pretty good warstory. It really kept me sucked in. Of yeah, did you have a specs vaporeon? If not what was the evs? It seemed to do massive damage to everything. Some bad predicting skills (no offense) made it more exciting. Btw, your mamoswine didn't really do anything except be Bronzong bait. But other than, extremely good battle with nice comments by you.

The one showing of hax against latias was unfortunate, but overall I really enjoyed it. Also props to both of you for using unusual pokemon/movesets: staraptor (don't see it much in OU), and choice vaporeon for you, and dragonite and mr. mime on his team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)