Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power Ice
- Roost

With Zygarde's ban and its no immunity ground move thousand arrows, Zapdos' dangerous offensive coverage and ability to check tough offensive threats let it shine. Through electric/ Flying typing, alongside good defenses and access to roost, Zapdos can check strong offensive threats such as Choice Scarf Kartana, Tornadus Therian and Mega Scizor. With Static, Zapdos can punish contact moves like u turn and knock off. Zapdos' coverage makes it hard to switch into, with wallbreakers such as Swords Dance Landourus Therian, Mega Mawile, and Garchomp formes not being able to safely come in, giving zapdos' team an easier time versus offensive teams. With discharge's 30% paralysis chance, Zapdos can punish switch ins like Heatran, Mega Charizard X and Tyranitar Formes. Good partners include Tapu Fini and Gliscor, who handle Heatran and defog Stealth rock to allow Zapdos in easily. Slower wallbreakers like Mega Mawile and Choice Band Tapu Bulu who like paralysis support also are good partners.

Last edited:
THF QC here.
Zapdos @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power Ice

Change the move order to Discharge / HP Ice / Heat Wave / Roost; slash Pressure before Static.

With the ban of Zygarde and its omni hitting ground move thousand arrows, Zapdos' ground immunity and the rest of its stellar defensive typing shine on balance and stall teams.Being electric/ Flying, Zapdos can check strong offensive threats such as Flynium Z Landourus Therian, Kartana, Tornadus Therian and Mega Scizor. With Static, Zapdos can punish contact moves such as u turn and knock off. Leftovers help keep Zapdos healthy over time, while Rocky Helmet punishes contact moves more. Zapdos' potent electric/fire/ice coverage allows it to threaten common opposition such as aforementioned offensive threats and garchomp formes. With discharge's 30% paralysis chance, Zapdos can punish switch ins such as Heatran, Mega Charizard X and Tyranitar Formes. Good teammates include Tapu Fini, Moltres, and Gliscor, who can handle Heatran and defog Stealth rock to easier bring Zapdos in. Slow wallbreakers like Mega Mawile and Choice Band Tapu Bulu who like paralysis support also are good partners.

So generally this entire spotlight is phrased incredibly awkwardly. I'm going to use the first line as an example here since that's the sentence that irritates me the most here. "omni hitting ground move" doesn't really describe 1K arrows properly; are you saying it hits everything on the field or has no immunities? There are a variety of other issues with this sentence as well, including the fact that you're regurgitating dex information as well as not actually providing any detail on what Zapdos actually does (in other words: giving a general overview of the mon). Stating it's typing also doesn't do much when you're not listing the benefits as the subject of the sentence. In fact, dedicating an entire sentence to its typing alone is honestly overkill because it's not the sole reason as to why it does so well against these mons; it's the combination of its good bulk, access to recovery and useful abilities that allow it to shine.

I would remove Garchomp and Kartana as examples of mons it can check; Flyinium Landorus commonly runs either gravity or smack down, while swords dance and choice band variants of Kartana can easily muscle past it. Either specify sets or replace the mentions altogether. Following that, what does its move coverage allow it to do? You do not specify what it actually enables Zapdos to do; you absolutely must mention the fact that it improves its matchup vs offence (mention how; fb audience absolutely needs it) while also preventing stuff like Garchomp from turning you into setup fodder whilst also dealing with offensive Landorus quickly.

I also do not see any mentions of threats to Zapdos whatsoever; a spotlight must feature different forms of counterplay (again, audience we're dealing with here); mention at least two different types of checks and expand on what teammates actually help it. Speaking of, remember what sort of playstyle you're using 3 attacks Zapdos on; because you're mostly going to be using it on offence, suggest partners which are commonly run on said archetype; suggesting mons like Moltres isn't going to really help you because you're not going to realistically use it on offence.

Remember that the ultimate goal of writing a spotlight is for the writer to showcase the mon's position in the metagame; so don't write like you're writing an analysis. Including a replay where it's successful at doing what you've described is also nice here, as it helps support your arguments.
I'd suggest you read through this post and the spelling and grammar standards. If you need any help, hit me up on discord at curiosity#2758, but if you don't, tag me for another check.

Last edited:
jeez curi, your check is three times as long as the spotlight lol. i agree with mostly everything, but static should definitely be frontslashed and move order should probably be discharge, heat wave, hidden power ice, roost instead.

also, allow me to quote p squared's op
- If it has notable flaws, how can I address them?
If you end your writeup by listing all of the things this Pokemon struggles with, I will think "oh damn this mon sucks, guess I won't use it on my team". TELL PEOPLE HOW TO ADDRESS THESE FLAWS. This can range from "use this teammate" to "keep an eye out for this foe".
so yeah, no point in adding checks to zapdos here either, if people want to know how to beat zapdos they can just check its analysis.

THF QC here.

I'd suggest you read through this post and the spelling and grammar standards. If you need any help, hit me up on discord at curiosity#2758, but if you don't, tag me for another check.
jeez curi, your check is three times as long as the spotlight lol. i agree with mostly everything, but static should definitely be frontslashed and move order should probably be discharge, heat wave, hidden power ice, roost instead.

also, allow me to quote p squared's op

so yeah, no point in adding checks to zapdos here either, if people want to know how to beat zapdos they can just check its analysis.
JetpackPotatoes have you implemented the above?
Should be ready for another check curi, however I do not have a good replay right now.

I’m sorry but I will be QC rejecting this.

Simply put, this spotlight does not meet the usual standards of a spotlight; all it really conveys is the fact that it got noticeably better with the absence of Zygarde and then proceeds to spew dex information. In other words, It does not tell me what this specific set does, nor does it tell me why I should actually use this in the first place.

It really doesn’t help when you haven’t properly addressed my previous check and honestly there’s nothing I can really do but to reassign this. I’d recommend lurking around the forums before picking up another one. I promise you it’ll be very helpful if you’re still still looking to write.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)