Overdark Dragon

Overdark Dragon!
[YOUTUBE]zp_4MQK9kXE[/YOUTUBE]

Team Overview

Welcome to Overdark Dragon. It is based on the 'Mag n' Drag' concept with a bit of volturning involved to keep the pressure on the opposition.

Team Construction

I first started off with Magnezone, as he is guaranteed to be in this team.

Now I require around 2-3 dragons to take advantage of the vulnerability that Magnezone exposes by removing the enemy steel types. Hydreigon is an obvious choice for me. He's my favourite Pokemon and he is also incredibly good in my opinion.

That's two Fighting weaknesses on the team already. I want at least one more Dragon on the team, so I require a Dragon which resists fighting attacks. Since I already have Hydreigon on the team, I chose to include Dragonite over Lati@s.

I am content with two Dragons. If I feel like adding a third, I will do so later. I need another steel type on the team to take enemy Dragon type attacks. Ordinarily I would have opted for Bronzong or Skarmory but a while back user Forever sold the idea of Scizor to me. I can't remember what she said (it was a sentence or two) but when she said it I just thought to myself holy crap, this woman is right. Why haven't I been using this guy before? So Scizor makes the cut.

Two spaces remain. Weather is such a prevalent aspect in overused battling that I feel somewhat disadvantaged if I have no way to control the weather. Purely for this reason totally got nothing to do with it being a Dark type >_> Tyranitar marches in strong.

Well that's three Fighting weaknesses on the team. This is one of the main problems I have always had with my team. A gaping weakness to Fighting type attacks. I am going to add a ghost type to give me a second option to switch in against Fighting moves. I would usually go with Jellicent here but I really want this team to be aggressive. It's the same sort of concept when I swapped Bronzong out for Scizor. I want to take a hyper offensive route with this team now. Currently this team lacks a fast Pokemon too. I have two priority users in Scizor and Dragonite which is good, but having a speedy Pokemon on the team would be much appreciated. Gengar fits my needs and so he's in.

Team Analysis

DRAKOW (Hydreigon) (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- U-turn / Dark Pulse

Rocking his signature shades, he strikes with awe-inspiring, destructive power! Draco Meteor obliterates pretty much anything that does not resist it, barring a few very dedicated special walls. Fire and Focus Blast provide perfect coverage for him, eliminating any steel type that dares show its face. Finally, U-Turn is a great scout move, especially on a tyrant whose mere presence sends a heart stabbing fear into all of his enemies, causing them to flee in terror. I used to dislike U-Turn and opted for Dark Pulse instead but all Dark Pulse does is give added coverage against Ghost and Psychic types and flinch haxing, which has admittedly saved my ass on a fair few occasions. It's largely unnecessary as a neutral Fire Blast does the same damage as a neutral Dark Pulse anyway. Pokemon like Jellicent and Reuniclus shouldn't really be sticking around when Hydreigon is dominating the battlefield anyway. Opponents often switch in their steel type when they see Hydreigon, so U-Turning straight into Magnezone is one of my favourite tactics.

RENPUU (Gengar) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Disable
- Substitute

Standard Sub Disable Gengar set. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast gives near perfect neutral coverage. Substitute and Disable allow Renpuu to combat and troll so many Pokemon it's not even funny. Things like Conkeldurr and Gliscor and many more become completely useless against Gengar, once it has disabled their key attacking move. Like Hydreigon, Gengar is an intimidating presence which often makes opponents switch to a suitable counter, which gives a threshold of opportunities to throw up a substitute. For this reason, as much as I would like to use Life Orb on the ghost, Leftovers is a must. Especially with Sandstorm and repeated Substitute uses, Gengar's HP gets drained far too quickly for my liking, even with Leftovers.

YOSHIKO (Tyranitar) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock

This is the fully dedicated specially defensive Tyranitar set. As far as Sandstorm is concerned, it isn't really that beneficial to this team. Gengar suffers the most from a raging sandstorm and it doesn't do much favours to Hydreigon or Dragonite either. Sandstorm for me is simply a means to control the weather - screwing over opposing weather teams. Crunch is my STAB move of choice as I have no Dark moves on this team otherwise. Stealth Rock is pretty mandatory on here as well as I cannot put it anywhere else on the team. Took out Ice Beam and Fire Blast for Stone Edge and Superpower and I am pleased with the results. Stone Edge gives me coverage against the blasted Volcarona which I realized I needed after getting wrecked by it. Superpower is mainly for Heatran actually. Heatran annoys me as with Airballoon it resists the Dragon / Ground and Dragon / Fire combinations. I do not really have any issues with the EVs but at the same time, I question whether I could be investing them more effectively for this team. Since I want this to be a hyper offensive team, maybe Tyranitar should be geared as such too. But then I wonder to what extent I should divert his bulk into offensive prowess, especially since I want to keep Stealth Rock on him. If nothing else, help me update this Tyranitar.

FAGONITE (Dragonite) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

I love this set so much. It is so incredibly trolltastic that I had to try it out again and I have really been enjoying it. Thunder Wave is incredibly useful to this team as it allows my Hydreigon to crush most Pokemon. Even Tyranitar can out speed a whole load of Pokemon once they are paralyzed, making it an even more terrifying threat. Damage from Sandstorm and Stealth Rock will rack up against the opposition when abusing Dragon Tail too.

MAGNETO (Magnezone) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SAtk / 88 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute

I used to run Charge beam to combat Jirachi better as I would say that Jirachi is the most frequent steel type I was running into back then and I wanted to gear my Magnezone specifically to take it on as effectively as possible. Getting a +6 boost against a Ferrothorn with a Substitute up was also devastating for my opponents. Depending on the Steel type that gets trapped, the opportunity to set up a Substitute may be available to me, and this makes revenge killing Magnezone even tougher for the opponent. If I can get a few Charge Beam boosts, Magnezone has the potential to eliminate two of my opponent's Pokemon which is fantastic. It was actually a battle log that Vrai created which made me consider using Volt Switch on it. Magnezone is the most resistive Pokemon out there and because of this fact, there are ample opportunities to send him in against non steel type Pokemon and threaten them with a lethal bolt of lightning. Volt Switch has been useful in maintaining momentum and while I do feel this version of Magnezone is weaker in combating steel type Pokemon, I think the sacrifice is worthwhile as with Volt Switch, his general utility has increased. Of all the Pokemon in this team, Magnezone is the one whose moveset I will most frequently switch up depending on my perceptions on the metagame and such. I am currently debating whether Thunderbolt is needed alongside Volt Switch. Hidden Power Fire does tremendous damage against Ferrothorn and massacres Scizor and is therefore pretty staple on Magnezone.

VRAI (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Trying out a Choice Band Scizor and it has done well so far. I wanted Pursuit on this team to eliminate Lati@s and I originally had it on Tyranitar but wanted Superpower on Tyranitar instead, so it goes on Scizor.

Threat List

Dugtrio- I have three levitators / flying types on this team, all of which Dugtrio cannot trap. A Bullet Punch from Scizor should also do significant damage to Dugtrio. I'm sure I can work something out against the triple mole.
Alakazam- Dragonite and Scizor with priority pretty much. If the Alakazam is modest, Gengar can OHKO with Shadow Ball too.
Gastrodon- Draco Meteor from Hydreigon does tremendous damage. Outraging Dragonite should do a lot of damage too. Gengar can probably troll it by disabling Scald.
Celebi- Gengar is the man for the job here. Hydreigon can handle Celebi too I believe.
Magnezone- MY OWN MAGNEZONE! Gengar / Hydreigon / Dragonite / Tyranitar can take it on decently.
Quagsire- Powerful Dragon attacks / Gengar can perhaps troll it.
Donphan- Hydreigon and Gengar both have levitate and as Azelf said, Ice Shard is pathetically weak so it's not too much of a concern.
Jolteon- Hydreigon, Magnezone or Tyranitar probably.
Slowbro- Magnezone electrocutes no problem. Can probably wear it down with U-Turn as well with Scizor. Gengar should do good damage to it with Shadow Ball too.
Zapdos- I'm not too sure on this one. I think Draco Meteor does a lot of damage to it though. Gengar isn't strong enough though. Magnezone is too weak as well. I actually do believe Hydreigon is my only viable out to this guy. Something for me to look out for.
Abomasnow- Pretty much anyone on the team should be able to take it on I would think.
Latios- Gengar is a risky play here. Tyranitar is the safe option. Otherwise priority moves should wear it down for a KO.
Conkeldurr- Hydreigon OHKOs with Draco Meteor. Gengar trolls it. Dragonite isn't too bad either.
Hydreigon- Uhm. Nothing beats Hydreigon. Everyone knows that! Focus Blast Gengar should do a fair amount of damage to it. If it is choiced, then sub disable trolls it. Hydreigon is a tricky one for me to handle - without knowing it's specifications I will have to tread with care.
Volcarona- STEALTH ROCK, LET'S GO! Dragonite is probably my main man here. If it sets up, I am pretty much screwed though.
Terrakion- Scizor. Gengar can troll it too perhaps.
Landorus- I think Gengar is my only potential out to this guy lol. Definitely something to be weary about.
Haxorus- I think Scizor should have a decent time taking it on. If it's weakened, ExtremeSpeed can possibly finish it off. Hydreigon possibly, though it's somewhat risky.
Virizion- Gengar and Dragonite pretty much. Scizor too perhaps.
Scrafty- Scizor perhaps but I think that's stretching it. I don't think I have any try Scrafty counters. Duly noted.
Reuniclus- I think most of my team should be able to take it on fairly well.
Victini- Hydreigon resists the dual stab so he's my main man for the job here.
Mienshao- Gengar probably. Dragonite and Scizor are good options too.
Tornadus- Bullet Punch and ExtremeSpeed should help. Gengar can outspeed and do decent damage with Shadow Ball too. Tyranitar is an OK choice as well. Magnezone too.
Latias- Read latios.
Salamence- If this thing gets a Dragon Dance up, I am in trouble. Probably have to force it to Outrage then send in Scizor to finish the job.
Cloyster- Priority moves. Magnezone perhaps.
Politoed- Magnezone and Dragons take this on well.
Venusaur- Dragons.
Ninetails- Tyranitar and Dragons.
Toxicroak- Gengar, though I have been proven wrong on one occasion. Dragonite is a decent alternative.
Breloom- Hydreigon outspeeds and OHKOs. Gengar can troll it.
Ditto- Make it transform into something I can readily counter or something like that.
Scizor- Magnezone. It's his job. Hydreigon can take it on too though and so can Dragonite.
Ludicolo- I hate this thing seriously with his multitude of priority moves. Gengar and Dragonite are my best bets.
Metagross- Hydreigon is my best bet. Possibly Magnezone if it is choiced.
Infernape- Dragonite mainly.
Heatran- Hydreigon and Gengar mainly.
Dragonite- Hydreigon OHKOs through multi scale with Draco Meteor. Without knowing Dragonite's moveset though, he can be tricky to counter.
Jirachi- Potentially Magnezone. Hydreigon can do a lot of damage to Jirachi.
Rotom-W- Hydreigon mainly. It's another tricky Pokemon for me to handle.
Gyarados- Dragons and Magnezone probably are the best here.
Tyranitar- Focus Blast and Scizor.
Gliscor- Hydreigon and Gengar.
Blissey- Scizor and Dragonite.
Bronzong- Dragons probably.
Chansey- See Blissey.
Deoxys-s- Priority moves.
Espeon- Scizor, Hydreigon and Gengar.
Ferrothorn- Magnezone and Dragons.
Forretress- Magnzone and Dragons.
Gorebyss- Magnezone and Dragons (you can tell I'm getting tired of this now).
Hippowdon- Hydreigon and perhaps Gengar.
Jellicent- Hydreigon, Gengar, Tyranitar and Magnezone.
Mew- Gengar and Tyranitar.
Porygon2- Hydreigon and Gengar mainly. Possibly Dragonite though.
Skarmory- Magnezone and Hydreigon.
Tentacruel- Magnezone and Dragons.
Vaporeon- Magnezone and Hydreigon.
Whimsicott- Lol.
Sableye- Lol.

Team Evaluation

For the most part, this team has been doing pretty well for me. I don't think there's a whole lot that needs changing but if you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know. It does suck that I only have one rock resistance on the team as a final note.

I think Substitute + Dragon Dance Dragonite is better suited for this team. The parashuffler isn't as effective without multiple entry hazards, but SubDD is one of the most terrifying sweepers in the metagame and your team gets rid of its counters well. If you want to keep the parashuffler, I'd consider using a Forretress over Scizor. Identical typing, but it gets both forms of Spikes to really make Dnite hell for your opponent. It also brings Rapid Spin support - I cannot stress how important this is for a team with Dnite because of how great an ability Multiscale is, and losing 25% to Stealth Rock on every switch-in is just not good. Forretress also provides you with a much more solid Mamoswine counter, which is useful.

just some food for thought, nice team

I prefer SD Scizor as many teams expect CB, plus it's not hard to force a switch; you would be losing Pursuit however (you could just run it on TTar). At least try it, I just think boost sweepers are the crux of offensive teams (DDance Dragonite like BKC said is also a good option).

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I will try the sub DD nite out. I went with the parashuffler because I wanted to have a phaser on the team but I suppose I can add Roar or Dragon Tail onto my T-tar.

You know, I'll test Forretress out as well actually. Been so long since I've used that dude.

I used to run a SD Scizor set but I changed it cause I wanted Pursuit and when I tested Pursuit on t-tar it just wasn't working out for me. I might test it again though.

By the way, what do you guys think about replacing Scizor with Metagross? It gives me a second rock resistance which I think can be worthwhile and it still has bullet punch too.

YOu should use some Physical offense on this team. ever heard of that careful Dragonite Reuniclus counter set? try it. Thunder wave Dragonite is a waste of space on drag mag team. Half you team is blocked by Blissey but that wouldn't happen if you tried out SubPunch HP:fire Gengar,like mystic Gar with Blissey killing power

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there. Your team doesn't seem like it has many issues with ferrothorn and jirachi, so I'm not sure if magnezone is really appropriate for the team. If you decide to get rid of it, I think using scarf Rotom-W with hidden power ice would serve your team better. If you make that change, I would also suggest using a sub-hydreigon set, since it really shines with rotom and scizor on its team.

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
lol hey Drakow,

Anyways, this is a cool team and shit, but I do think it can be improved. I think you could patch up your weakness to Hydreigon a bit by giving a Chople Berry to your Tyranitar over Leftovers. Provided you don't switch into Focus Blast, a Chople Berry allows your Tyranitar to beat Hydreigon 1 on 1, tanking its Focus Blast and OHKOing back with Superpower. You really don't lose that much with Leftovers, and Chople Berry also allows you to check stuff like Reuniclus and Alakazam, so overall I'd say its a good fit. I think you could also potentially try a CB Dragonite over your current set, since steels are the only thing that can stand in its way, and Magnezone readily removes them, plus CB Extremespeed can be useful for picking off a lot of the Pokemon who you mentioned as threats, such as Volcarona and Landorus, both of whom would be taking damage from Stealth Rock [provided it wasn't spun away]. Pretty short rate, but the team's solid overall, so there isn't much to change.

Change Summary:

Tyranitar:

Leftovers->Chople Berry

Dragonite (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Hey

This team really seems to be going in the right direction, but I think that there are a few things that could be improved upon. First of all Dragonite appears to be your weakest link, it essentially fails to keep up the offensive momentum since you lack a spinner and it is limited to the stealth rocks switch-ins. Fighting-type mons such as Infernape, Conkeldurr, Terrakion and Lucario all still posse huge threats even with Gengar added. With well-timed predictions they pack the ability to demolish majority of your team with ease. Other than that substitute + 3 attack Landorus is pretty annoying to counter as well. It easily sets up on Dragonite, Magnezone and Tyranitar and proceeds to decimate rest of your team with its solid stabs. To fix this situation I would highly recommend replacing Dragonite with Offensive Latias. This set utilizes Latias's natural bulk and turns it into an immediate offensive threat. Draco Meteor is it's main assault, dealing heavy damage to anything that does not resist it. Psyshock is an excellent move which allows Latias to bypass Chansey and Blissey. Surf provides great neutral coverage alongside Draco Meteor and is your potent weapon against Tyranitar and Heatran. For the last slot Recover is an obvious pick which keeps Latias healthy throughout the match. Hidden Power Fire is an other possible option over Psyshock or Surf if you feel annoyed by Volt-turn teams. As of the EV spread you've got two option: 152 HP / 176 SAtk / 180 Spd at modest nature, optimizes Latias's role as a bulky, hard hitting tank; 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd at timid nature provides it with much needed speed to outspeed many threats and KO them first. Dragonite's presence won't be missed a bit after this change since Latias gives you insurance against sun teams and fighting-type mons and also makes a solid synergy with-in your team.

Latias @ Life Orb | Levitate
Modest | 152 HP / 176 SAtk / 180 Spd
~ Draco Meteor
~ Psyshock
~ Surf / Hidden Power Fire
~ Recover

For some minor changes, try Modest Nature on Hydreigon as Mild isn't benefiting you in any way. It's just making you more prone to revenge killers and priority users which is not acceptable considering the fact it has a good defense without any investment. One negative factor about Latias's addition is it makes you more weak to Volcarona to patch up this weakness Tyranitar could potentially switch leftovers with Tanga Berry. It reduces damage from a super effective bug-type attack by 50% and enables you to survive a Bug Buzz and OHKO Volcarona with Stone Edge. On Magnezone try Flash Cannon over Volt-switch, it enables you to hit Gliscor and other ground-type mons harder than HP Fire. Overall brilliant team dude, Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)