Pansage (Analysis)

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Pansage

Quality control 2/2 (Diana, ShinyAzelf)
Grammar Prose 2/2 (elDino, Zystral)

[Overview]
<p>Pansage is another member of the monkey trio, and just like its brothers, Pansear and Panpour, it is outclassed by other Pokemon that can better fill the roll of a Grass-type. Don't think that Pansage is a bad Pokemon, though, as good Speed and respectable Special Attack mean that it should definitely not be looked over. Pansage can definitely be worth a team slot if used correctly, and it can often surprise the user, as its power is often overlooked.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 2: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
move 3: Energy Ball
move 4: Nasty Plot / Substitute
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb
ability: Gluttony
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpAtk / 244 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>There isn't too much Pansage can do with such a shallow movepool, but it can abuse Leaf Storm somewhat. Energy Ball is used to hit things without lowering Pansage's Special Attack stat. Hidden Power Ice hits Gligar on the switch while dealing with other Grass-type Pokemon that may try to take a Leaf Storm. Nasty Plot is mostly filler, but can see use if you can somehow manage to scare out a Pokemon with Pansage. Substitute can be used over Nasty Plot to help ease prediction, while also protecting Pansage from priority moves and crippling status.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Pansage reaches a Speed stat of 17, so finding an opportunity to use Nasty Plot while Focus Sash protects Pansage from fainting is easy, and a STAB +2 Leaf Storm will cause huge damage. Hidden Power Fire can be used to hit Steel-and Grass-type Pokemon, instead of Hidden Power Ice. Water-type Pokemon such as Frillish and Slowpoke can take care of the Fire-Type Pokemon that otherwise outright wall Pansage, and this is a big help for the monkey. A Rapid Spin user that can spin away entry hazards in order to preserve Focus Sash is useful if you're not one to want to lead with Pansage.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Offensively there isn't much else worth a mention here. Although Pansage gets Crunch, Shadow Claw, Seed Bomb, and Acrobatics, these are all bad options, as Pansage must utilize its mediocre Attack stat to use them. Pansage has a lot of support options such as Taunt, Toxic, and Grasswhistle, but lacks any sort of defensive stability to get any use from them. Protect can be useful for scouting, but it is a waste of a moveslot most of the time. Work Up makes a mixed set slightly viable with Crunch, a Hidden Power, and Leaf Storm.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Any Fire-type Pokemon such as Slugma or a Steel-type Pokemon such as Bronzor or Ferroseed will wall Pansage easily, However, Hidden Power Fire of the latter Hidden Power Fire can be dangerous. If Pansage doesn't have a Focus Sash or has taken any damage, any Pokemon that outspeeds it or has priority should be able to hit it very hard or knock it out altogether.</p>

[Dreamworld]

<p>Overgrow will be a good alternative ability when released and it should replace Gluttony on almost every set.</p>

Most Fake-Outers can kill Sage even without hazards up, so they're probably worth a mention in Checks and Counters

Protect might be an option in AC, as with a Focus Sash and Protect, Sage can function as a sort of lead

Substitute could be useful in that it makes Gligar less of a prediction-reliant match-up against Sage. Although, you'd probably use Oran with it in that case.

HP Fire is probably worth a slash the first set, as I doubt Gligar will want to switch into a Leaf Storm in any case.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Most Fake-Outers can kill Sage even without hazards up, so they're probably worth a mention in Checks and Counters

Protect might be an option in AC, as with a Focus Sash and Protect, Sage can function as a sort of lead

Substitute could be useful in that it makes Gligar less of a prediction-reliant match-up against Sage. Although, you'd probably use Oran with it in that case.

HP Fire is probably worth a slash the first set, as I doubt Gligar will want to switch into a Leaf Storm in any case.
Fake out counts as priority which I mentioned. I don't reeally think Protect has any worth. Substitute can have a mention but the point is that gligar cant kill with focus sash.

I'll slash HP fire.

Fake out counts as priority which I mentioned. I don't reeally think Protect has any worth. Substitute can have a mention but the point is that gligar cant kill with focus sash.

I'll slash HP fire.
Focus Sash just falls to entry hazards, which i don't like. Fake Out would only be mentionable because a normal user couldn't always take sage oyut singlehanded, as they would take either one or two hits because of sash. That said, it's still not a big deal so it's just preference

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Really there's not much this thing can do... But mention Seed Bomb and Acrobatics in OO. The special set is better but Pansage's Attack is the same as its Special Attack so it's at least viable.

Protect doesn't seem worth a set mention but I think it's good enough to get in OO. Also mention Grasswhistle there even though the accuracy is terrible because it could actually put something to sleep which is about as much as Pansage usually does.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't really frequent LC C&C so I'll have to ask. Does LC use Dream World abilities even if they aren't released? As a 5th generation Pokémon, Overgrow Pansage isn't released. Its regular ability is Gluttony.

Diana

derp I can't believe I missed that. And yet with Pansage's stats even without Overgrow that's probably the best set. Yeah take off the ability section on the set and add a Dream World section.

Diana

All right, so I had a bit of success with a Pansage set that's similar move-wise but a bit different.

[SET]
name: Substitute+3 Attacks
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Leaf Storm
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Energy Ball
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 SpA / 244 Spe

It basically comes into a slower Water-type or Hippopotas and sets up a Substitute on the switch then uses the right move (usually Leaf Storm) to hit really hard. Hidden Power Ice is best for Gligar but Hidden Power Fire should be mentioned in AC for Ferroseed and such.

All right, so I had a bit of success with a Pansage set that's similar move-wise but a bit different.

[SET]

It basically comes into a slower Water-type or Hippopotas and sets up a Substitute on the switch then uses the right move (usually Leaf Storm) to hit really hard. Hidden Power Ice is best for Gligar but Hidden Power Fire should be mentioned in AC for Ferroseed and such.
Add that set into the analysis, and then consider this

QC Approved: 2/2

Zephyr

Life Stream

[SET]

Since the set itself is really only a moveslot difference, I decided just to slash it in and added commentary for that route in the Additional Comments section.

elDino

Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add
Remove
Comments

[Overview]
<space>
<p>Pansage is one of the monkey trio introduced in 5th generation. Unfortunately the trio has some serious problems with being outclassed by other Pokemon in Little Cup, on top of a rather lackluster movepool, but all is not lost! They have some niches that are definitely viable and worth consideration. With good Speed and acceptable attack stats Pansage has the potential to fill a worth while spot on your team. Pansage is another member of the monkey trio, and just like its brothers, Pansear and Panpour, it is outclassed by other Pokemon that can better fill the roll of a Grass-type. Don't think that Pansage is a bad Pokemon, though, as good Speed and respectable Special Attack mean that it should definitely not be looked over. Pansage can definitely be worth a team slot if used correctly, and it can often surprise the user, as its power is often overlooked.</p> You copied the same thing from Pansear's analysis!

<remove space>
[SET]
name: Hard-Hitter
move 2: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire

[Set Comments] Capitalize
<space>
<p>There isn't too much Pansage can do with such a shallow movepool, but making use of a Focus Sash and it's ability, a gimmicky high powered set is born it can abuse Leaf Storm to the max. Pokemon like the ever popular Gligar who that come in and expect to take Pansage out only to be able to not breach through the Focus Sash and get smashed by an Overgrow-boosted STAB Leaf Storm or Hidden Power Ice will be quickly dispatched from the field. are easily dispatched by Hidden Power Ice. Energy Ball is used to hit things without costing Pansage a Special Attack drop when not needed lowering Pansage's Special Attack stat. Hidden Power Ice hits Gligar on the switch and while dealing with other Grass-type Pokemon that may try to take a Leaf Storm. Nasty Plot is mostly filler, but can see use if you can somehow manage to scare out a Pokemon with Pansage. Substitute can be used over Nasty Plot along with Life Orb to ease prediction and keep Pansage safe from priority damage. to help ease prediction, while also protecting Pansage from priority moves and crippling status.</p>

[Additional Comments] Capitalize
<space>
<p>Pansage reaches a 17 in it's Speed stat of 17, so finding an opportunity to fire off a use Nasty Plot while Focus Sash protects Pansage from fainting, and then firing of STAB Nasty Plot boosted Leaf Storms can really cause serious damage which is generally overlooked is easy, and a STAB +2 Leaf Storm will cause huge damage. Hidden Power Fire can be used to hit Steel-type Pokemon and other Grass-type Pokemon and Grass-type Pokemon, instead of Hidden Power Ice. Water-type Pokemon such as Frillish and Slowpoke to can take care of the Fire-Type Pokemon who that otherwise outright wall Pansage, (comma) and this is a big help for the monkey. A Rapid Spin user that can spin away hazards in order to preserve Focus Sash is useful if you're not one to want to lead with Pansage</p>

[Other Options]
<space>
<p>Offensively there isn't much else worth a mention here. Pansage gets Crunch, Shadow Claw, Seed Bomb, and Acrobatics, (comma) which are on the physical side and don't do much however, these are all bad options, as Pansage must utilize its mediocre Attack stat to use them. Pansage has a lot of support options such as Taunt, Toxic, and Attract, and Grass Whistle Grasswhistle, but lacks any sort of defensive stability to get any use from them. Protect can be useful for scouting, but it is a waste of a moveslot most of the time. Work Out Up (Work Out xD) makes a mixed set slightly viable with Crunch, a Hidden Power, and Leaf Storm.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<space>
<p>Any Fire-type Pokemon such as Slugma or Steel-type Pokemon such as Bronzor or Ferroseed hard wall Pansage easily, unless Pansage is packing Hidden Power Fire for the case of the latter. If Pansage doesn't have a Focus Sash or has taken any damage, any Pokemon that outspeeds it or has priority should be able to hit it very hard or knock it out altogether.</p>

[Dreamworld]
<space>
<p>Overgrow will be a good alternative ability when released. and it should replace Gluttony on almost every set.</p>

Ok, just wording and commas, you know the drill by now :D

GP Approved 1/2

In the Set Comments you mention how Gligar is taken care of with HP Ice and then 2 sentences later you say the same thing again just adding in how it takes care for Grass-Types too.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
<p>Pansage is another member of the monkey trio, and just like its brothers, Pansear and Panpour, it is outclassed by other Pokemon that can better fill the roll of a Grass-type. Don't think that Pansage is a bad Pokemon, though, as good Speed and respectable Special Attack mean that it should definitely not be looked over. Pansage can definitely be worth a team slot if used correctly, and it can often surprise the user, as its power is often overlooked.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 2: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire

[Set Comments]

<p>There isn't too much Pansage can do with such a shallow movepool, but it can abuse Leaf Storm to the max somewhat. Energy Ball is used to hit things without lowering Pansage's Special Attack stat. Hidden Power Ice hits Gligar on the switch while dealing with other Grass-type Pokemon that may try to take a Leaf Storm. Nasty Plot is mostly filler, but can see use if you can somehow manage to scare out a Pokemon with Pansage. Substitute can be used over Nasty Plot to help ease prediction, while also protecting Pansage from priority moves and crippling status.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Pansage reaches a Speed stat of 17, so finding an opportunity to use Nasty Plot while Focus Sash protects Pansage from fainting is easy, and a STAB +2 Leaf Storm will cause huge damage. Hidden Power Fire can be used to hit Steel-and Grass-type Pokemon, instead of Hidden Power Ice. Water-type Pokemon such as Frillish and Slowpoke can take care of the Fire-Type Pokemon that otherwise outright wall Pansage, and this is a big help for the monkey. A Rapid Spin user that can spin away entry hazards in order to preserve Focus Sash is useful if you're not one to want to lead with Pansage.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Offensively there isn't much else worth a mention here. Although Pansage gets Crunch, Shadow Claw, Seed Bomb, and Acrobatics, however, these are all bad options, as Pansage must utilize its mediocre Attack stat to use them. Pansage has a lot of support options such as Taunt, Toxic, and Attract, [are you being serious lol] and Grasswhistle, but lacks any sort of defensive stability to get any use from them. Protect can be useful for scouting, but it is a waste of a moveslot most of the time. Work Up makes a mixed set slightly viable with Crunch, a Hidden Power, and Leaf Storm.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Any Fire-type Pokemon such as Slugma or a Steel-type Pokemon such as Bronzor or Ferroseed will hard wall Pansage easily., unless Pansage is packingHowever, Hidden Power Fire for the case of the latter Hidden Power Fire can be dangerous. If Pansage doesn't have a Focus Sash or has taken any damage, any Pokemon that outspeeds it or has priority should be able to hit it very hard or knock it out altogether.</p>

[Dreamworld]

<p>Overgrow will be a good alternative ability when released and it should replace Gluttony on almost every set.</p>

Diana

I think Hidden Power Fire can take the first slash now, since Gligar is banned and all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)