pants on the ground (bw ou)

after a brief hiatus from battling for about a year in between the time Deoxys was declared Uber in DP till March of this year, I tried learning BW OU. I utterly failed and fell into an even briefer hiatus from then till about 2 weeks ago when I randomly decided to ask Gen for a team. it featured Scrafty, who I immediately realized as an absolute baller. i then read some of archived RMTs from BW so far (and the nominations which themselves were pretty useful) and set about making a Scrafty team. i've always had a preconception in my head from DP and RS that weather is an unreliable strategy, so I tried to stay away from that. (I know I'm wrong, but I just can't shake the thought!)

the team

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp

Depending on what I see in Team Preview, I sometimes lead with this Heatran. Specifically, if I see Tyranitar, I go with Heatran and try to burn it while it can't really do anything to me. I then set up Stealth Rock as soon as I can and proceed to Roar through the team, doing whatever damage I can. Overall, Heatran is VERY important to this team, providing useful resists as well as being part of the line of defense against Excadrill (provided my Air Bubble is still intact). As I'm writing this RMT up I realize I don't really use Flamethrower very often and when I do, it's far weaker than I want, so I may change this to Overheat. Good change?

Roserade (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 68 SDef / 188 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes
- Hidden Power [Fire]

When I see Politoed in the opposing lineup, I lead with Roserade, who can get off a quick sleep and then set up Toxic Spikes, one of my favorite moves (when it's not being used against me!). Obviously, if they have a Tentacruel or Toxicroak waiting in queue I don't lay them down immediately. Toxic Spikes imo is crucial to a Scrafty sweep, as they can cause that little bit of extra damage Scrafty needs in order to get that first kill and get the whole thing going with Moxie. Giga Drain has been more useful than Leaf Storm to me, though if there is a good reason to switch, I will! The Speed EVs let it outspeed Jolly Gyarados, though that is more a result of me thinking "I want to outspeed Timid Heatran...hmm I might as well outspeed +nature base 80s...hmm Jolly Gyarados is right there, might as well outspeed him too"

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

This guy is a monster. I lifted him from one of the nominated RMTs I looked at (can't quite remember whose it was atm), because it caught my eye as the type of Pokemon I love to use (a decently bulky pokemon with a great offensive stats EVed to maximize defenses and working off the base attack, a description Heatran and Roserade both fit on my team). He stops most physical attackers right in their tracks with good defenses, good defensive typing, and an amazing defensive ability. Thunder Wave is useful for guys Scrafty would need more than one Dragon Dance to outspeed. Taunt is fun for guys like Bronzong who sometimes like to switch into Gyarados, thinking it's offensive. Waterfall doesn't do as much damage as you would expect, but it's still a decent amount, especially in rain. Dragon Tail helps me to coax the intended target of Thunder Wave out into the fray as well as doing nice damage to things like Latias and Latios who sometimes switch in to Gyarados. Gyarados is also part of my defense against Excadrill, who does barely anything to it even with Rock Slide. I sometimes lead with Gyarados if they lead with Ninetales or something that can attack physically. In retrospect, Heatran might be the smartest lead against Ninetales.

In previous incarnations of this team, Gyarados used to be Azumarill and later Starmie. Gyarados has functioned better in its role than either of those ever did.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Swords Dance

Gliscor is perhaps the most redundant member of my team, yet at the same time, somehow holds it together. While often little used, when I replaced Gliscor with Jirachi in an attempt to defend against other Deoxys-S, the team did not do so well. Gliscor does much of what Gyarados also does. I don't really know what else there is to say about Gliscor. If I replace any Pokemon on this team, it'll most likely be Gliscor. Gliscor helps me against Excadrill as well as other physical threats. I really like Gliscor's Electric immunity, which really helps the team against nearly every physical threat between the two of them.

Gliscor used to be Skarmory in 2 previous incarnations of the team.

Deoxys-S @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Not much to say about Deoxys-S. I meant him to be a temporary stopgap while I searched for something that fit better, but surprisingly enough, when I put Deoxys-S in the role of "really fast revenge killer/cleaner-upper" it flourished!! I try to keep Deoxys-S alive till their team is sufficiently weakened because eventually, the first four members of my team will weaken the opposing team enough to where Deoxys-S will simply rip through it. Deoxys-S is probably the second-most replaceable member behind Gliscor, as it's role could be done by a number of Pokemon who add more with their resistances than Deoxys-S, I just can't figure out what would fit.

Deoxys-S used to be Zapdos and then Specs Latios.

Scrafty (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

The "star" of the team, I suppose. Scrafty is a beast after a single Dragon Dance, and most of the times I win, I end the game with a +6/+1 or +6/+2 Scrafty thanks to Dragon Dance and Moxie. Lum Berry helps me set up right in the face of things like Jellicent who try to burn me with WoW. Drain Punch is more reliable than HJK and I don't really miss the damage. The HP gain is far more useful to me, especially when facing teams that employ Sand, Hail, Stealth Rock, Spikes, etc. Ice Punch destroys Gliscor.

thoughts/threats/musings
some things that give me trouble are:
- opposing Deoxys-S
- Jirachi can be a bitch to take down
- Vaporeon can also be a bitch to take down
- Hydreigon
- Rotom-W is also a gigantic bitch if Roserade goes down, which it often does since it has no healing outside of Leftovers

this team is very switch-heavy and relies on me to use my instincts to try and use the first four pokemon as pivots for each other in order to end in a position of power. Rapid Spin is thus on my priority list of things to add, but since I've been doing well enough without it, it's not high on that list.

I would like to replace Gliscor, but with something that does some of what Gliscor already does and some of what it doesn't, that is:
- resists electric
- takes physical hits reasonably well
- rapid spin? maybe
- helps against excadrill
- deals with Deoxys-S/Rotom-W

also I want to add that the only times I really lose with this team is when it's late at night/i'm sleepy/i'm preoccupied with something else. though those things happen far too often, so my ladder ranking isn't that great!

go bananas.

For your replacement gliscor you wanted an electric immunity and a spinner that can take physical hits and deal with excadrill. . theres only 1 pokemon that i can do that and its claydol. Rapidspin/earthquake/icebeam/------ on a relaxed nature> with 252hp/defence. psycic would be great for the filler move for conkledurrs x) or you could just put stealthrock and replace a move on heatran maybe.. possibly sunny day to troll weathers!

but anyways this is a good team and I love non weathers. (:

Heatran: on your strategy with Heatran I would suggest using Overheat insteacd of Flamethrower like you said since you barely use Heatran offensively. Honestly I would prefer running Stealth Rock on Deoxys and have him as a pseudo-starter on your team, I would then proceed to put Earth Power in the place of Stealth Rock on Heatran. But that's just me.

Gyarados: I don't know man, Gyarados is only running out of base 79 Defense, I honestly prefer the Dragon Dance version of Gyarados but thats just me. I dont really see a point in having Gyarados so bulky seeing as how you have Gliscor on your team. I would run this set:

Gyarados @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Intimidate
252 Attack/252 Defense
Jolly/Adamant
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Taunt/Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

I would usually run Earthquake instead of Taunt, but if you still want to use Taunt then by all means go for it.

Gliscor: Well I think you got the EV's a little goofed up, I don't see the point in adding any Attack EV's if your running Swords Dance. I would do 244 HP/176 Defense/88 Speed

88 Speed insures your faster then opposing Gliscors and Ice Fang their butts. I would also run Protect over Taunt to rack up more Poison Heal and for scouting reasons.

Deoxys: I like how you have a plethora of different kind of moves on it, If you really want to switch out Deoxys I suggest Starmie, Starmie can pack Thunderbolt and Ice Beam. I suggest this set which does Deoxy's job even better in my opinion:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid
252 Speed/252 Sp. Attack

- Surf/Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic/Recover

Surf over Hydro Pump if you like the accuracy over power. I put Recover in the last spot because I never find the right oppurtunity to use Recover on my Starmie so I usually just stick with Psychic, it's up to you man.

Closing Notes: I see you don't have any Fire Moves other then your Heatran's Overheat, so steels might be kind of a problem for you. If you want you can change up Gyarados for a Dragon Dancing Dragonite. If you do then:

Dragonite @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant/Jolly
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Earthquake/Fire Punch
- ExtremeSpeed/Fire Punch

For your replacement gliscor you wanted an electric immunity and a spinner that can take physical hits and deal with excadrill. . theres only 1 pokemon that i can do that and its claydol. Rapidspin/earthquake/icebeam/------ on a relaxed nature> with 252hp/defence. psycic would be great for the filler move for conkledurrs x) or you could just put stealthrock and replace a move on heatran maybe.. possibly sunny day to troll weathers!

but anyways this is a good team and I love non weathers. (:
I'm going to try this, X-Scissor variants may be a problem thoughhhh :toast:

Heatran: on your strategy with Heatran I would suggest using Overheat insteacd of Flamethrower like you said since you barely use Heatran offensively. Honestly I would prefer running Stealth Rock on Deoxys and have him as a pseudo-starter on your team, I would then proceed to put Earth Power in the place of Stealth Rock on Heatran. But that's just me.
yeah i will replace flamethrower with overheat, but I don't see how any of the other changes help any.

Gyarados: I don't know man, Gyarados is only running out of base 79 Defense, I honestly prefer the Dragon Dance version of Gyarados but thats just me. I dont really see a point in having Gyarados so bulky seeing as how you have Gliscor on your team. I would run this set:

Gyarados @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Intimidate
252 Attack/252 Defense
Jolly/Adamant
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Taunt/Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

I would usually run Earthquake instead of Taunt, but if you still want to use Taunt then by all means go for it.
Intimidate. Gyarados has performed better at taking physical hits than Gliscor has!

Gliscor: Well I think you got the EV's a little goofed up, I don't see the point in adding any Attack EV's if your running Swords Dance. I would do 244 HP/176 Defense/88 Speed

88 Speed insures your faster then opposing Gliscors and Ice Fang their butts. I would also run Protect over Taunt to rack up more Poison Heal and for scouting reasons.
The EVs I just lifted from KG's RMT as with the moveset. Protect, ehh, I don't like using Protect. Taunt is superior as it lets Scrafty's Lum berry stay for a couple more turns while he DDs it up.

Deoxys: I like how you have a plethora of different kind of moves on it, If you really want to switch out Deoxys I suggest Starmie, Starmie can pack Thunderbolt and Ice Beam. I suggest this set which does Deoxy's job even better in my opinion:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid
252 Speed/252 Sp. Attack

- Surf/Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic/Recover

Surf over Hydro Pump if you like the accuracy over power. I put Recover in the last spot because I never find the right oppurtunity to use Recover on my Starmie so I usually just stick with Psychic, it's up to you man.
I've already used Starmie in this role on the team and Deoxys has performed far better at it, thanks to Deoxys's Superpower.

Closing Notes: I see you don't have any Fire Moves other then your Heatran's Overheat, so steels might be kind of a problem for you. If you want you can change up Gyarados for a Dragon Dancing Dragonite. If you do then:

Dragonite @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant/Jolly
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Earthquake/Fire Punch
- ExtremeSpeed/Fire Punch
really the only Steel-type that causes issues is Jirachi. Gyarados deals with Scizor; Forretress eventually succumbs to a constant barrage of attacks as with Bronzong; Skarmory will die to Deoxys's Thunderbolt; Gliscor's Earthquake, Gyarados's Waterfall, Scrafty's Drain Punch, Deoxys's Superpower all threaten Heatran; Excadrill is dealt with by Gliscor/Balloon Heatran/Gyarados.

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hi Darkie,

As it stands right now, your team is horrendously trampled upon by Rain, with Starmie, Latios and Thunderus dealing massive damage to everything bar Roserade. To keep the general outlook of the team, I would suggest running a Gliscor / Heatran / Gastrodon core, which has most of the metagame covered, with Gastro countering rain, Gliscor countering Sand and Heatran countering sun. Although I know you said you want to replace Gliscor, I feel that it has a lot of utility in your team, countering Conkeldurr and strong sand sweepers like Terrakion that Gyara can't do by itself. I'll list each spread and how it helps your team

Roserade @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes
- Rest

With this team being very stall-oriented, this spread will keep Roserade alive for longer and allow it to severely dent switch-ins that are otherwise unhindered with Leaf Storm. This is really advantageous since your current Roserade runs speed that doesn't cover many common threats, with Gyarados having gone down in usage.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Gastrodon is going to be your best friend vs. Rain teams because it counters Starmie, Thunderus, Rotom-w and outright stops cold the popular Water Pulse + Thunder Jirachi. You could do with using this over Gyarados preferably.

If you do choose to run Gastrodon over Gliscor, I would Suggest a different Heatran.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 2252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- HP Ice 70
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

This will help you in checking Excadrill, since without Gliscor you are terribly weak to it.

If you do choose to keep Gliscor, 244 HP/176 Defense/88 Speed, as suggested above, is the new standard to speed creep other Gliscor.

Hopefully this will help, and good luck!

Threats
  1. Calm Mind / Trickroom Reuniclus
  2. Specs/LO Latios
Hey Darkie, cool team, I used to run a team like this myself with that Deoxys-S. First off, just like my team, Reuniclus can be quite problematic; It can switch in on Deoxys at -2, or into Roserade with Sleep Clause active, ignoring the hazards, and getting in a Calm Mind which threatens to land heavy amounts of damage on every member. Gyarados can pHaze it, but is 2HKOed after rocks, eating 47.8% - 56.2% from boosted Psychic, same with Heatran, taking 56% - 66.3% from Focus Blast. Trickroom variants can come in on the same things and threaten to sweep you clean, doing even more damage to the aforementioned Gyarados and Heatran, who are bulky enough to take as much as 2 hits. Lastly, Specs Latios can cause some issues, as it find ample opportunities to switch into Heatran, Roserade (if something else is asleep), Gliscor, and Deoxys-S after recoil, and begin to launch boosted attacks. Your best bet is Deoxys-S, who by the way does not KO Latios with Ice Beam at full health, especially since LO Latios have Recover, and can KO back with Draco Meteor. Thundurus is also annoying, but Deoxys-S can revenge it fine.

Solutions:

• SDefensive Jirachi over Heatran
I understand that Heatran is an important member to your team, but I think Jirachi can provide similar resistances, set-up Stealth Rock just like Heatran, while being able to support the team with Wish, and be able to help you out against the aforementioned threats. CM Reuniclus can't stand up to the combination of Iron Head+Body Slam+Wish, while it fails do enough damage to Jirachi, especially with Wish keeping Jirachi healthy. Specs/LO Latios also hates it when Jirachi comes in to absorb the Draco Meteor and can then threaten paralysis with Body Slam, again Wish playing a part in keeping Jirachi alive. Jirachi also has good synergy with Gyarados, whose SR weakness is alleviated a little thanks to Wish, and can come in on most things that trouble Jirachi, i.e. Gliscor and Heatran. Roserade will also appreciate Wish support, being your check to bulky Water- types with no recovery means it might go down fast, and Jirachi can help with this. Opposing Deoxys-S can also get paralyzed, which they really hate, then get destroyed by Iron Head Flinches. Hydregion was also in your threat list, and Jirachi can also take it on reasonably well, provided you avoid Flamethrower. You said Heatran was part of your defense line vs Excadrill, but you already have it handled rather well between Gyarados and Gliscor. IMO, you won't be losing much from the change of Heatran to Jirachi. However, if Quiver Dance Volcarona and sun teams become too threatening from this change, feel free to change back.

Optional Changes
An alternative method of handling the aforementioned threats is by using a Bulky SD Scizor over Gliscor, and trying out an Offensive Air Balloon Heatran to check Excadrill and Landorus, to which your team becomes weak against without Gliscor. Gyarados has a hard time standing up to boosted Rock- type attacks from the two, especially with an SD under their belt (Intimidate takes them down one stage, but their still at +1. being able to kill it after SR). At least with heatran's Balloon intact, Landorus always goes down to HP Ice, and Excadrill to Fire Blast. Scizor can beat Reuniclus with Bug Bite followed by Bullet Punch, while Specs Latios locked into DM is set-up fodder. LO variants can be weakened so Deoxys-S can revenge them. Scizor also works as a great offensive partner for Scrafty, being able to take out / weaken Scarf Landorus with Hammer Arm, Scarf Terrakion, and Bulk Up Conkeldurr, common revenge killers used against Scrafty.

Movesets:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Body Slam / Thunder Wave / Protect
- Wish
- Stealth Rock
---

Or if you choose to go with the Optional suggestions:

Scizor (F) @ Lum Berry / Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower / Brick Break / Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Roost
---

Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Ice
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
---

So to summarize:
  • SDefensive Jirachi > Heatran
    Or
  • SDefensive Scizor > Gliscor
  • Offensive Air Balloon Heatran > current set

GL

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey there,

Very nice team, I like Roserade a lot! Your team will have a hard time handling Choice Specs Latios and Thundurus though. Deoxys-S is a nice answer to both of them, but it really can't afford coming on a Draco Meteor or a Thunder. I think that Choice Scarf Tyranitar would fit Deoxys-S' spot better. While it's certainly a lot slower, it handles pretty much everything Deoxys checks, but with Pursuit as an added bonus, which traps and kills Latios locked into Draco Meteor. It also helps against Calm Mind Latias, because if it has enough Calm Minds Ice Beam will do laughable damage. The downside of using Tyranitar is that Gliscor becomes a must on your team, who would otherwise get drilled by Excadrill. Here's the set :

@ Choice Scarf
Jolly
Sand Stream
EVs : 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Superpower

Anyway, good luck!

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
sorry for not posting earlier >.>
I agree with San Pelligrino's suggestions as this will provide a better core to help withstand hits and is also isn't SR weak like Gyarados.
I'll summarize our discussions on IRC with some added notes:

• Consider a Parashuffle Dnite over Gyarados (though this will stack up on a lot of ice weaknesses)
  • Try running Spikes on Roserade to not conflict with the plethora of other statuses you have on your team 9.9
  • Skarmory is a possibility over Gyarados/Gliscor and then you can replace Roserade with something like Celebi to help deal with Rotom-W and other random threats better -- Celebi also checks Thundurus, for instance, as it isn't KOed by +2 HP Ice.
  • Taunt + WoW Mew is cool, breaks stall, and also can run Specially Defensive EVs to stall out stuff like Latios one-on-one
Some other notes:
If you want recovery on Roserade a neat idea is to run Leaf Storm over Giga Drain and then put Rest on their somewhere to have a set that can perform hit-and-run attacks, Rest to full health, and switch out to wake up.
EDIT: fffs LK ninjaing me though I think I did mention Rest on IRC >.>

I've found SD/Taunt Gliscor to be a little weak as most of the things it outspeeds it can't KO and will die to SE attacks, and most of the things it can OHKO will outspeed and KO it before it can move. Also, Gliscor is awful at hitting things on the switch without a boost. I've been having slightly better results with a Taunt / Toxic / Ice Fang / Earthquake set that can hit stuff like Latias and Rotom-W on the switch with Toxic that would otherwise not care about anything Gliscor can do. Although this sacrifices sweeping through Skarmory, you do still beat it one-on-one (actually, you might run out of PP first 9.9) and your other teammates have no trouble with Skarmory in any case.

I had a couple other thoughts but I forgot them so I'll edit/repost if I do think of something :X

another edit:
I recommend you keep Gliscor as if Jirachi is already hard to take down with it it'll be worse if you don't have Gliscor. I think that feeling of uselessness that it comes with is the fact that SD Taunt sweeps rarely if at all, Toxic should enable you to at least cripple and annoy stuff with it as opposed to gently nicking the opponent with Ice Fang and then switching out.

Still, I like the team.

yet another edit that may or may not be final: subcm latias is at least as much of a baller as scrafty but as this a scrafty team w/e

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
San Pelligrino, Excadrill can't kill Gyarados after Rocks without Life Orb.

darkie, I really want you to keep Gliscor, though, since in conjunction with Gyarados it can really put a stop to Sand Sweepers, such as Landorus, Terrakion, and Excadrill - Gyarados alone cannot sponge the more powerful Rock moves from Landorus and Terrakion.

I also want you to keep Heatran, since otherwise Fire Sweepers in Drought teams, such as Infernape, Darmanitan, Volcarona, or Heatran can just spam Fire moves. Gyarados will be 2HKOed if it tries to take the hit. If you're going specially defensive on Heatran, then Air Balloon is counterproductive, because it would be taking hits. Gyarados and Gliscor provides enough coverage for Excadrill anyways. Leftovers or Shuca Berry is more useful here. If you want power, you can go with Fire Blast / Overheat, but since it's so defensive mine as well go with Lava Plume to compensate power with residual burn damage. You have Will-O-Wisp already, but the extra burn chance wouldn't hurt. I personally prefer Earth Power over Wisp so it can actually touch opposing Fire Types when they show up, though.

If you want Air Balloon on Heatran, which can give you an edge against opposing Heatrans, I'd go with San Pelligrino's set. I personally prefer Dragon Pulse over HP Ice, since it can take out Haxorus locked in Outrage, and Timid Nature to have better chances against opposing Heatrans (although Timid Heatran would need Rocks to reliably KO Haxorus).

Personally, if you need a good Water / Electric counter, specially defensive Roserade presented by San Pelligrino would be perfect, since it has no problems sponging a Rain-boosted Specs Hydro Pump even from Rotom-W. Doesn't help too much with CM Rain Jirachi, though. If you want to fit Gastrodon, it should be over Roserade. Alternatively, specially defensive Celebi can also fit here, too, which can pack Earth Power to deal with Jirachi and Heatran.

If you ever have problems with Volcarona, try packing Stone-Edge over Thunder Wave on Gyarados, since this lets you to take out Volcarona regardless of Stealth Rocks and regardless of Drought weakening Waterfall.

It looks like stall teams can give you some trouble, since you lack a spinblocker and Forretress / Excadrill get alot of opportunities to get rid of your hazards. Since you've got Gliscor to take on the physical threats that Gyarados does, Jellicent would make a good Gyara replacement, since they've got similar typing but Jelli can block spin and is an excellent stallbreaker with hazard support. As far as the EVs are concerned - 240 HP hits a Leftovers number. 176 Def hits a bonus point. 40 SpD helps abuse Jelli's natural special bulk - important for spinblocking against Starmie. 92 Spe outruns Skarmory and other Jellicent.

Jellicent @ Leftovers | Bold | Water Absorb | EVs: 240 HP / 136 Def / 40 SpD / 92 Spe
Scald | Taunt | Recover | Will-O-Wisp / Toxic

I disagree with dropping Heatran because otherwise a good player using a sun team will slaughter you. Specs Latios isn't too threatening, in my opinion; Heatran doesn't take much from Draco Meteor and is barely 2HKO'd by Surf, a problem that can be alleviated by running Protect over Will-O-Wisp, which also helps you scout if Latios, or any choice user like Scarf Landorus, come in on Tran. You can use Lava Plume > Flamethrower to keep the burn rate, plus most Tyranitar are completely walled by Heatran nowadays). If your opponent uses Surf on the switch, Protect to rack up some lefties recovery and then switch to Roserade or Jellicent. LO Latios isn't strong enough to break Jellicent, so you're fine there. As for the Trick Room Reuniclus weakness, simply stall out TR with smart switching (Protect on Tran goes a long way here), lure a Psychic, and switch to Scrafty on the last turn to absorb it and threaten with Crunch.

Cool team, hope I helped.

Rain teams seem like a huge problem to you, especially those with Rotom-W. Roserade is your only way of beating it, but it's not that reliably and a well timed Ice Beam wil destroy it. Rotom-W on such a team can destroy your whole team bar Roserade with Thunder / Hydro Pump. A Specs Tornadus can just come in on something and Hurricane and do a ton of damage against anything on your team that isn't Heatran, who takes a lot from Focus Blast / Hammer Arm and he can also just U-turn out to, say, Politoed or Rotom-W. Thundurus can destroy your team if Deoxys-S is taken out. You have to sac a mon every time it comes in as you don't want to risk Deoxys fainting or you'll get swept.

Hydreigon and Latios also seem a little troublesome if they can predict the Heatran switch in and Focus Blast / Surf. After that, they can Draco Meteor your team to oblivion, though Deoxys can revenge kill them.

What I suggest is using a Choice Scarf Abomasnow. Abomasnow is one of the best counters to rain teams. He resists Water and Electric, and also is neutral to Ice. With a Choice Scarf, he outspeeds all common members of such a team, Politoed, Rotom-W, Tornadus, Thundurus and KOs them, with either Wood Hammer or Blizzard. He also deals with the Dragons above, Hydreigon and Latios. The exact set is:

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf | Snow Warning
Hasty | 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Blizzard / Wood Hammer / Hidden Power Fire / Earthquake

This set can go over Gliscor, as he resists Electric, counters Excadrill by canceling out his ability and revenge killing, and also beats Rotom-W. You can also consider using him over Deoxys-S (which I prefer), as Gliscor lets you beat stall much easier. Note that if you keep Gliscor, use 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe over your outdated spread, as it allows you to outspeed all Tyranitar, as well as Adamant Breloom.

Good luck!

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey darkie,

That Gyarados set really is killer, but your huge weakness to rain can't be ignored. A specially defensive Gastrodon is easily a perfect fit over Gyarados, being able to counter most of rain by itself while Ferrothorn is just setup bait for most of your team. The set and evs mentioned by SP are ideal. I definitely recommend maximising Rosersde's special defense investment. Most likely you will be putting Heatran to sleep on the switch, and defensive Heatran is comfortably outside anyway. The extra bulk will go a long way in increasing Roserades survivability against Rotom-W, and allows you to more easily set up on weak special attacks from the likes of Politoed.

I don't see the appeal of Air Balloon on Heatran, since more often than not Heatran will be needed to absorb a resisted hit such as Latios' Draco Meteor or Volcaronas Bug Buzz which will disable your balloon. This will leave you helpless to Excadrill who usually cones out late-game. So, I'd suggest simply switching back to Leftovers. BKC mentioned that you will have trouble against opposing stall due to your lack of a spin-blocker, so something you could consider is a Disable Gengar over Deoxys. Gengar is very useful in that it gives you an excellent check to bulky CM Reuniclus and Conkeldurr, and also forces plenty of switches which racks up hazard damage. I know that Deoxys provides you with a valuable revenge killer, but the addition of Gastrodon pretty much makes your defensive core unbreakable against any form of weather. I suggest the standard EVs of 252 SAtk | 252 Speed | 4 Def with a moveset of Shadow Ball | Focus Blast | Sub | Disable.

Lastly, consider Toxic on Heatran so that you can actually do something to Volcarona other than simply roaring it out. It also aids you greatly against bulky waters. Good luck!

Ojama

Banned deucer.
Hi darkie

Original Team there but as previous said you're Rain weak. First, I'll suggest you to change Heatran's Item for Leftovers.

Then, your Roserade Spread isn't the good one. Use this one 252 Hp / 252 SDef / 4 Spe because Gyarados isn't really played in BW, indeed, he is UU. This Spread helps you against Politoed, Starmie and Rotom.

Now your Gyarados. Your Set isn't the perfect one. Using Rest seems better I guess, so I'll suggest you to run Rest over Taunt and Sleep Talk over Thunder Wave. I'm not really sure Gastrodon will be better over Gyarados, because Intimidate helps a lot against Pokemon such as Terrakion who can destroy your entire Team with Rock Polish + Swords Dance and the Air Balloon.

Last thing, I don't know what really change instead of Deoxys-S and Scrafty because it can change your entire Team, but I can just suggest you to try Quagsire over Gliscor if you're looking for a Pokemon who resists Electrics Moves, Physical Moves, Jirachi, Excadrill, etc. If you use Quagsire, try a WishJirachi over Deoxys and and something else over Scrafty, maybe a Rapid Spinner such as Hitmontop, who can be really helpfull with Intimidate and MachPunch against Excadrill, Terrakion.

GL with this Team.

How about changing roserade to a Special defensive celebi? I don't really see the need for toxic spikes as your other members cannot abuse them to the fullest. If they have toxicroak you are basically playing with 5 members. Celebi can handle latias that carry surf/psyshock better and hit them with thunder wave. I would run:

Celebi @ leftovers
252hp/4 spA / 252 spD (calm)

thunder wave
giga drain
hp fire/ice
recover

This will help tremendously against special threats and help scrafty sweep better.

CM renuiculus can be a problem for your team. The only reliable way to beat it is twave it and try to get the flinches with waterfall.
If it were my team i would replace deoxys with a latias but it seems deoxys works out for you here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)