XY OU Parthenon (Balanced ORAS)

Hello,

I'd like to introduce a team I've been using with interesting results for two weeks.
The idea was to build something around the darkest panda ever (aka Pangoro), because I have always loved the potential of parting shot, and Pangoro have received many useful gifts from tutor move.

I came out with a rather offensive team, even if it's far from real heavy offense. It still has various weaknesses, especially lacking a hard stallbreaker and a priority user, but is able to deal with the majority of the metagame. I love volt-turn style, I find it really efficient in current metagame.

I peaked #1600, which is quite correct for a team that uses two "dark horses", but I think a bit of advice could help me to patch some weaknesses and try to go higher.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Rock Polish

This new Mega is quite frightening. Come on, an offensive behemoth with better bulk than Ferrothorn !
I chose the rock polish version, to be able to clean oposing offensive teams at the end of the game. That alows me to run adamant, which is useful against bulkier mons. 28 Spe to outspeed 110 base scarfer after rock polish.
The 4MSS is quite clear here : I'd like to put Ice punch (for Landorus, dragons), Thunder Punch (Skarmory and Slowbro), Hammer arm (Ferothorn, Chansey, Porrygon) and Bullet Punch (frail set ups), or even Pursuit. If you think that any of these move is mandatory, i'm oppened to any (argumented) advice.

Pangoro @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Parting Shot
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

It might be the most dispensable member of the team, but often does his job. He forces many switches, or kill optimist opponents. Drain punch allows him to stay alive and is boosted by Iron fist, Ice punch for Lando and a bunch of other threats, and knock of to weaken defensive walls, a good help to allow a metagross sweep.
Parting shot is used against obvious switches, and allows my weakned mons to do their jobs without dying to quickly.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This set is quite standard, few choices to make here (I don't like chestorest without a cleric). Rotom has key resistances, I absolutely need to keep him alive to check monsters like Talonflamme, Mamoswine, or any physical threat that can be burnt.
I might invest in def instead of spe def, but I need to avoid the 2KO from Gengar. I often leads with him (or Landorus). His only problem is that he can't handle all the things he's supposed to counter at the same time...

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Another standard set, I won't go deep into what he can do (and how amazing he is to do it). A really nice volt-turn core with rotom. I might try a defensive spread, but I currently have more problems with defensive teams than with offensive, so I want a good firepower.
30 Spe because I like being slower than other lando, u-turning after the oponent is obviously better.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

As I switch a lot, I needed a defoger, and Togekiss quickly came out of my mind. i'm not sure of my choice, because it becomes sometimes a dead weight if there are too many electric or ground types in the opponent's team.
Otherwise he does a great job. Might invest a bit in defense to avoid the 2 KO from life orb's Latias psychoc. A good option against Breloom, who can hurt my team if he predicts the switches well.
As usual, can steal games with the unfair paraflinch combo. I don't like to rely on hax, but sometimes it's the last resort...
I'd love to fit heal bell somewhere, as well as aura sphere (boum Bisharp) or a fairy attack.

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Low Kick
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam

Greninja is S rank for good reasons. Depending of the move you opt for, it can do super effective dammage to 90% of the OU metagame... Your oponent have very few free switch before he knows your entire set.
Despite the better spe att, I chose a physically offensive set. Low quick is a godsent to lure previous counters, dealing huge damage to Kyurem, Heatran, Tyranitar, Ferothorn, Magnezone or even Chansey. Gunk shot allows me to kill any weakened fairy not named Klefki, and is often used for a correct amount of neutral damage (I'm looking at you, specially defensive Rotom). Ice beam hit hard enough without investment to kill Landorus and Gliscor.
I'm using expert belt because Greninja often sweeps a weakned team with less than 15% life, I don't want it to die at these times. It has a good coverage and often deals super effective damage. And I can abuse U-turn without killing myself.

Threats :

Mega Sableye : Ouch. No real answer after m-evolution, it's the only absolute threat to the team. I can't set up rocks against him, I can't heal burns, I have no fairy attacks, and no strong special attacker to force him out before calm mind. He even bounces parting shot...
Moreover, he's always paired with really defensive team-mates, which are by themselves a problem

Gengar : Greninja makes him run away. He can 2 KO and outspeed the rest of the team if rocks are on (and Rotom is weakned).

Skarmory, Slowbro : Hard wall Metagross, don't really fear greninja at full health. Pangoro is a good answer (Skarmory loses fighting neutrality when roosting, Pangoro is slow), but if they are played conservatively they're really annoying.

Mega-Gyarados : After a DD, huge trouble. Fortunately, he doesn't have lot's of opportunities if I am able to keep rocks up.

Rotom : No cleric and many physical attacker means that I've few good switchs when my own Rotom is weakend. Metagross is able to 2 KO if it switches on Zen Headbut. I need to chump damage with rocks and u-turn before I can finish him.

Alomomola : happily few people use that. The physically defensive version is a pain, impossible to 2 KO, regenerators heals it, it spread burns or poison like nobody else.

Thanks for reading, I'm looking for any comment or advice.

Could anybody help me please ? I think this team is really far from perfect, but I really enjoy using it, I'd like to be able to improve it a bit.

I would recommend replacing Pangoro with AV Conkeldurr. He performs a very similar role, with added utility. With the Guts ability, Conkeldurr would be used to benefit off of absorbing Will-O-Wisps and checking the annoying Rotom-W. The spread I would recommend using is:

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SDef / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Next, because of the Conkeldurr change, I would now recommend changing your Rotom-W to Physically Defensive. This allows you to take on Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, and opposing Mega Metagross. Even though Will-O-Wisp can cripple physical attackers, the immediate physical defense is a necessity for this team. The speed EVs also allow you to outspeed common Azumarill.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Lastly, this final idea is just something for you to think about rather than a highly recommended suggestion like the other two suggestions that I gave. If you want Landorus to be able to take physical attacks while still dealing a good amount of damage, you could consider the Classic Bulky Pivot Landorus-T set over your current. It is basically just giving you prescence from both spectrums. Try it if you would like. All it would be is keeping the Adamant Nature but changing the spread to 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def.

EDIT: Also, on Greninja, I recommend you replace U-Turn with Grass Knot to deal with bulky waters such as Mega Slowbro and also replace Expert Belt with Life Orb now that U-Turn is out of the picture as the added damage is very useful.

Thanks for your interesting answer.

Indeed, Pangoro might have to leave... I will miss the ability to switch into ghost attacks, but the only OU user is Gengar, who also has focus blast. Parting shot was nice, but I guess a priority is not something to neglect.

The Landorus spread seems good, keeping a huge attack but being also more solid.

What is the precise point of 20 points in speed for Conkeldur ? Just to avoid tying with other Conkeldurs ? It would be still to slow to compete with Azumaril, and 20 seems a lot for occasional tie (especially because Conk is not a real threat for the team).
Same question for Rotom. I guess the point is outspeeding totally uninvested Lando-T. Not sure I want to sacrifice the bulk, do you think it's that important ? On the other hand, i will use physical Rotom, seems to be a good idea with AV Conk.

But I think I'll keep U-turn and EB Greninja, I used LO before and really disliked the loss of life, which quickly put it on unefficient priorities (Aqua Jet, Sucker Punch) KO's range.

Any advice for a better set of Togekiss ? Or a better pokemon to use ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)