XY RU PAWNIARD'S WRATH (another RU joke team)

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Introduction:

Sup everyone, it's Molk back with another RMT! Like the last team i posted thought (the mighty team NFE was the last RMT, all the way back from when Milotic was still RU instead of UU), this isn't exactly the most serious of teams, so if you're here looking for a great team to use on the ladder while you're learning the tier, this thread isn't the place.

Instead, this team was simply a random joke team that i made just for fun on irc about a week ago (a friend wanted to ladder with a joke team so i threw the original version of this together for them lol). After watching them ladder with the original joke team a little bit, i decided to give the team a try myself on my joke alt (i've used everything from mono AV Power Up Punch to random theme teams on that), and to my surprise, with the changes i made for my own laddering purposes the team was actually winning and climbing the ladder o_O. I kept tweaking the team as time went on and while i did have to reverse a few, the team just kept working better and better against the ladder, eventually landing my maximum joke alt with over 30 losses before i started with this team at the #6 spot on the Froslass suspect test ladder. By this time #rarelyused was well aware of my antics on irc, and i started giving the team out to other people to mess around with.

So after the Shuckle suspect test started and the ladder was up and everything, i knew exactly what i wanted to do: i was going to get suspect reqs with this team. I used a serious team for the first match to register my alt, and used solely this team for the rest of my ladder run (although i made a change halfway through), and what happened? I actually managed to do it! I got Shuckle suspect reqs on the alt Mizuhime is Evile with a final w/l of 40-8, not to shabby for a team that wasnt ever meant to actually win!

So anyways, onto the team itself. Although this is a joke team it functions with one theme in mind: RU troll deosharp. The goal is to get hazards up as fast as possible, either keep them up the whole game or punish opponents for removing them, and eventually sweep in the endgame with one of 4 different Pokemon. To accomplish this i have two (silly) Pokemon that can consistently set up multiple layers of hazards, a Ghost-type to block Rapid Spin for at least one turn, and not just any old Defiant Pokemon to punish Defog, but the pre evolution of the Dark Knight himself: Pawniard!

An In Depth Look At The Team:

SammyClassicSonicFan (Whirlipede) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect
- Endeavor

With Froslass out of the tier, Whirlipede here functions as my Suicide Lead to get entry hazards up early game, and it definitely does it well, often setting up multiple layers of both forms of Spikes it carries. Most of the time Whirlipede is just going to be setting up a few layers of Spikes early game and then dying, but those layers of hazards are very important and crucial to this team's success, making Whirlipede significantly more important to the team than it looks. If nothing else Whirlipede's hazards at least give me a way to bait Defogs for Pawniard, even if i have no intent on keeping them up for the whole game for whatever reason. There's a decent amount of grounded Poison-types to look out for in RU, but if my opponent lacks one early game Toxic Spikes can be very deadly, wearing down grounded opponents and significantly cutting their life spans to make them less threatening than they would be otherwise (especially useful since all the RU Rapid Spinners except the terribad Claydol are vulnerable to Toxic Spikes). Protect is an important move here: it lets Whirlipede rack up extra Speed Boosts to get extra layers up in a pinch, and is also incredibly useful for scouting out Zoroark, Taunt, and Defog before they catch me by surprise, allowing me to act accordingly. Lastly, Endeavor gives Whirlipede an actual way to attack the opponent, and when combined with a Focus Sash and Speed Boost gives it a little bit of a last hurrah before dying, often pretty much scoring a KO on the opponent in front of me. If Whirlipede is still alive but at low health later in the game, this can be useful for crippling walls in a pinch too. My EVs here might not look efficient, but they're solely for Endeavor and since Whirlipede is a suicide lead anyway it doesnt really matter where those non Speed evs are invested.

The nickname comes from the mighty youtuber SammyClassicSonicFan, whos channel can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/user/SammyClassicSanicFan, The name is used here because, as any Pokemon with Speed Boost, Whirlipede needs to go fast.

I TOLD (Hippopotas) @ Eviolite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Hippopotas functions as this teams Stealth Rock user, Phazer, Physical Wall, and most importantly, provider of Sandstorm for my late game win condition. With decent 68/78 physical bulk further bolstered by Eviolite, Hippopotas has an easy time switching in to sponge hits from most of RU's physical attackers (its a little bit bulkier than Qwilfish post Intimidate Attack Drop), letting it work as a nice physically defensive buffer for my team and giving it plenty of opportunities to set up both Stealth Rock and Sand. Whirlwind is here to stop Hippopotas from being set up bait for various Pokemon such as Gallade and CM Reuniclus, and considering the extra sand damage and multiple layers of hazards that will often be set up, often becomes little Hippo's way of damaging the opponent. Earthquake is simply there to ensure that Hippopotas isn't taunt bait. Lastly, Slack Off gives Hippopotas a form of reliable recovery, keeping it alive during the game for as long as possible both to accomplish its most important role on the team: setting up sand for Stoutland. 5 Turn sand might not be as good as Permanent sand or even 8 Turn sand, but its still more than enough for Stoutland to pull off a late game sweep when i finally sacrifice it.

Name, like all the names on my last RMT, comes from user: Don Honchkrorleone and his comments.

tegaf a ru (Whimsicott) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- Hurricane / Taunt / Stun Spore / Tailwind
- Encore

Whimsicott belongs to the most changed teamslot on my team (i used to have a DD altaria here, then changed it to fraxure, then back to Altaria, then Exeggutor, and finally Whimsicott), and functions as a sort of "glue" Pokemon to hold it all together. Looking at the rest of my team, there are 3 Pokemon that really stood out to me that gave me problems: Virizion, Sharpedo, and Zoroark. Whimsicott really helps out against all three of these while also checking a ton of other threats such as Jolteon/Heliolisk, Trop's Tears, and even Hitmonlee to an extent. This change made me a bit weaker to Yanmega, but with Stoutland/Jellicent to revenge kill the Tinted Lens set, Pawniard's Sucker Punch, and a reliable stealth rock setter, its not *impossible* to get around. I'd normally use a physically defensive Whimsicott along the lines of Encore/Stun Spore/U-turn/Moonblast on a serious team, but because this team is 100% joke i decided to branch out a bit and use a Life Orb set, while still keeping the Prankster encore which can prove to be so useful. Giga Drain and Moonblast are Whimsicott's strongest STAB moves, and while Whimsicott's Special Attack stat is somewhat mediocre they still pack enough of a punch to KO things, while Encore lets Whimsicott punish opponents for trying to set up/use support moves such as entry hazards. It also lets me stop Hitmonlee on Sticky Web teams from spinning even if they Knock Off Jellicent, simply encoring them into Knock Off and keeping hazards up for as long as possible. The final moveslot was dedicated to Hurricane mostly because lol Hurricane, but it gives Whimsicott an alright weapon against Amoonguss and Roselia, while also hitting Fire-types much harder than any of Whimsicott's other options. If i wasn't using Hurricane, i'd either use Stun Spore to cripple things like Yanmega, Tailwind for a second way of boosting Stoutland's Speed, or Taunt to stop opponents from defogging against my team with some smart double switching.

The name is just Ur A Faget backwards, because thats pretty much what cott says to most of the things that threaten my team otherwise.

NIPPLE BLADES OF FURY (Pawniard) @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Pawniard was simply added to this team as a troll defog blocker (even though it loses to full health Gligar ;-;), but it ended up being oh so much more in practice. I was expecting Pawniard to be completely terrible when i first using this team, but it quickly become the mvp of the team, and actually ended up sweeping quite often. I personally think this is the quality of the ladder and not the quality of Pawniard as a Pokemon itself, but its still pretty funny to watch, isnt it? Because of Pawniard's nice Dark/Steel typing, it gets both an almost unresisted STAB combination and a gr8 defensive typing that gives it more chances to set up a Swords Dance than you might expect from something with its defenses. From there, Pawniard can smack around the opposition with a combination of +2 Knock Off, Iron Head, and Sucker Punch, following in Mightyena and CB Latias's footsteps as proof that the PS ladder will lose to anything with Sucker Punch. That's not all though, with Shuckle the Sticky Web provider being the suspect and everything, Pawniard happens to be fortunate enough to be a grounded Defiant Pokemon with an 80 BP STAB priority move in a metagame littered with it. Which made it quite the awesome tool to have against those kinds of teams (i def wouldnt suggest using this on a serious team though in the end lol).

Name suggested by atomicllamas, and because of the fact that Pawniard actually has those. Pawniard gets two pictures because its just that manly

LITERALLY 2HKDOGED (Stoutland) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Fire Fang
- Crunch

Given my team had Hippopotas as the joke Stealth Rock stetter, not adding this guy would've been a crime. Stoutland functions as one of the late game win conditions of the team, cleaning up the rest of the team in the 5 turns provided by sand once everything is weakened and hazards are set up Because of the Speed boost provided by Hippopotas's sand, its pretty much impossible to outrun without priority, has enough bulk to take most of those priority moves anyway, and is often free to just spam CB Return in the time that it has until sand wears off. Outside of Pawniard simply sweeping the opponent's team because PS loses to everything with Sucker Punch, sacrificing hippopotas and simply cleaning up the rest of the opponent's team with Stoutland's Return was the most common endgame by far. Outside of obligatory STAB, Superpower lets Stoutland heavily damage and/or eliminate various Rock- and Steel-types that might attempt to come in to wall Return, even doing around 50-60% to Rhyperior iirc. Crunch gives Stoutland a weapon against Ghost-types such as Mega Banette and Doublade, doing 40%+ to the latter which is rather solid for a normal type. Lastly, Fire Fang is there to literally OHKO Escavalier and Durant, who can take any hit from Stoutland otherwise and retaliate. Its also worth noting that even when sand isn't up, Stoutland has the strongest unboosted attack on my team, making it quite useful for breaking down bulkier opponents when i have no room to set up with Pawniard.

Name comes from the literally 2HKO'd joke in my signature, combined with dog, really simple as that lol.

StupidestShitEver (Jellicent) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Last but not least, Choice Scarf Jellicent wraps up this team as this team's spinblocker of sorts. Stopping opponents such as Hitmonlee, Kabutops, Hitmontop, etc from Rapid Spinning from at least one turn to keep all the hazards that Whirlipede and Hippopotas have set up earlier in the game. Outside of simply blocking Rapid Spin, Jellicent keeps its role on the team by providing some pretty valuable resistances to Water, Fire, Fighting (mostly Cobalion here because it always flinches hippo), and Ice-type moves that can be quite problematic for my team otherwise (especially Fire), Water Spout is a nice spammable move when the chance arises too (although it's not really as strong as you'd think :/). If you remembered NewBreed's RMT dog nd frens, he used a Choice Scarf Jellicent too....yep that's p. much where i got the idea to use this from lol. Not much else to say really.

Name comes from what can only be known as Somalian Suicide, the user in question lost to an Energy Ball Jellicent during BW and proceeded to ban everyone on the server. The actual name itself comes from what he referred to the Jellicent as "the stupidest shit ever"

Conclusion:

So anyways yeah thats the joke team that peaked #1 on the RU ladder and actually earned me suspect reqs this round. As i mentioned that's not shabby at all for a team that was never meant to win at all, but i still wouldn't seriously recommend people use this team if they want to peak the ladder/win a tournament or w/e, especially if they're new to the tier. If you want to use it just to have a little bit of fun go for it, but don't expect it to be toppling over every opponent you meet any time soon =). As for me, i think i'm gonna keep using this team on the ladder just for fun, at least until i get bored of it.

If you're wondering about the art, because i wanted unique art for this rmt instead of just using Sugimori art/sprites, a few friends of mine in the RU channel on irc decided to draw the pictures for me on MSpaint. Credit goes to Magnemite, Passion, atomicllamas, GlassGlaceon, and EnerG218 for that. Thanks for reading!​

Molk u r a genius ru needs more people like u. In all seriousness though this team got me to like 13-0 then my internet crashed. Good team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)