Pepper: The Utility Arcanine to Spice Up Your Game

Did you like the set?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

I’ve always liked the concept of Arcanine, and I’ve always tried to incorporate it into my team. Just recently, however, have I realized the flaw in trying to use those attacking stats of his to sweep. Arcanine is too weak and too slow for a full-fledged sweep, as well as having too many easy switch ins on the enemy’s part. Then what? How should one use our little pooch? The answer is startling, as a bulky(!) utility Pokemon to force switches and hit with an assortment of moves!

Arcanine has two things that make a bulky set even remotely possibly. That is the fact that it has a very nice array of defensive stats (90/80/80, compared to Infernape’s 74/71/71) as well as having Intimidate, to severely weaken physical attacks. It also has the moves to stop its counters in it’s tracks, but is even now being used as a choice user, who just doesn’t hit fast enough or hard enough. Now, I shall present the best way to use him, Pepper:

Pepper (Arcanine)@ Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
EVs 240 HP, 168 Def, 72Spd, 28SpA

Will-o-wisp
HP Ground
Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Overheat
Roar

The EVs provided are ensured to withstand a multitude of physical attacks (Jolly CBDuggy EQ/Jolly Chomp EQ won’t OHKO this, FYI), outspeed Jolly Tyranitar (And things outspeeding Jolly TTar by one) and be able to 2HKO moderately bulky Heatrans and 4HP Infernapes (52% or so is the minimum, I believe). Leftovers are used to get some HP on switch ins and switch outs.

Now for the key part of the post, the set itself:

Will-o-wisp is the most important part here, as most things that switch into Arcanine can be either a physical resist or special fire/water. The beauty here is that you can cripple those physical switch ins with Will-o-wisp. Gyarados, Garchomp, Ttar, etc and the wide assortment of Ground based walls. They are all crippled by a Wisp, as it cuts their attack in half. The special waters that switch in will have to deal with -12% each turn, which is a bother to the likes of Vaporeon, who pride themselves of being bulky, are suddenly hurt badly. And since people think you are Banded or whatnot, nobody is fool enough to switch in a special wall that isn’t water.

Heatran likes to come in on Arcanine, and for good reason. Only HP Ground and Dig can hope to kill Heatran coming from Arcanine, and most don’t have the move. Now, however you can 2HKO both pokes immune to Burn in OU, and Infernape does rather pitiful damage to you. I won’t bother explaining what else HP Ground can hit, as I’m sure you know.

The next move is your STAB of choice. Do you like reliability? Then choose Flamethrower. Extra kick? Fire Blast. Hit and run? Overheat. The choice is yours, and they all serve the purpose of killing several metagame threats (Weavile, Scizor, Lucario, you can come in on these easily enough) as well as defensive grasses and steels (Celetran just got a whole new enemy!). Self-explanatory move, in any case.

Now for the interesting part of the set, the move Roar. Roar forces the teammates out, so you can not only scout switches and reveal enemy team members, but you can also inflict severe damage from entry hazards (Salamence comes in, is roared and suddenly is going to take 50% from SR before it can come into play! SR is lame.) In addition to both causing damage and scouting, Roar also “stalls” to get some Lefties HP so you can tank even more hits.

This set stops the current counters to Arcanine cold, and it’s going to be a while before they switch in Blissey, by then you’ve done your job and crippled and ruined plenty of enemy Pokemon. This is a great standalone Pokemon, but works even better on several teams: Trap teams, Stall teams and teams with Wishpassers/Leech Seeders.

So that’s Pepper, a bulky Arcanine for support in the hectic OU metagame, ad I hope you like it, I sure do. Go ahead, try it out. If you have any comments or things I can add, be sure to say so.

-Light

P.S. The set isn't named after him, but how could I not include a picture of General Pepper:

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It actually looks like a pretty neat viable set (probably the best thing arcanine can do!) but i still think you're crazy Light. (team light: CRUSHKING, Sandslash and Pepper gogogo)

Verry interesting, mostly, could be very fun. I had the same emotions when I saw arcanine, felt much like a dude, just left behind the curve.

This is definitely an interesting set and there really aren't any flaws that I can see at the moment although a mention of the fact that, while it is meant to wall, it will be taking 25% from Stealth Rock every time it switches in. Nice work Yagami. :)

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You would generally feel that the 'element of suprise' is its main asset, but as unordinary as Arcanine is, especially that set, it seems as if you have influenced a Pokemon that functions exeptionally well with a different quality. I believe this particular set stands out from most unorthadox, gimmicky sets because it has been developed to deal with Pokemon that commonly switch-in against Arcanine. The Pokemon that frequently assist Arcanine's presense just so happen to be a few of the most deadliest threats in the OU environment: Garchomp, Tyranitar and Gyarados. Additionally, if the user eventually acknowledges the moveset and attempts to bring in their Heatran in order to nulify your Will-O-Wisp / Fire Blast, he will be dealt an unexpected Hidden Power [Ground]. Finally, the fact that Arcanine's capable of switching in on certain physical menaces, such as Weavile and Lucario make it all the more effective and unexpectedly brilliant.

I'm impressed, Light.

According to Metalkid, a +1, Life Orbed Lucario does 89.50% - 105.25% to Arcanine. A burned, +1, Life Orbed Lucario does 44.62% - 52.49%. So the best case scenario would be a 3hko not counting Stealth Rock.

I wouldn't switch this into Lucario anytime soon.

Metalkid's gave me:

Damage: 89.50% - 105.25%

for a +1(SD-1 for intimidate) adamant Life Orb Lucario CC. It's a OHKO with SR, possibly without.

The calculations are much better for Weavile/Scizor/Mixape though.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm definatly going to be trying this out in the CAP metagame with the abundance of Heatrans and Bulky Water, I'll let you know how it does. Also, are you sure that it's not named for Dr. Pepper?

This set strongly reminds me of the D/P Peer Edit for Heatran posted by Aldaron (link: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42544 )

Obviously Heatran is more orientated on the special side, and Arcanine is more orientated on the physical side with the suggested EV spreads for each set.

The set looks good. Stealth Rock really hurts his chances of being fully effective, but as you say its best fit for "...Trap teams, Stall teams and teams with Wishpassers/Leech Seeders." which can help support Arcanine.

I like it! I might try it out on a stallish team along with Emojolt. The field hazards are a great asset.

It also helps that Arcanine looks badass >:)

Entei can run this set too. It can be EV'd to have the exact same stats with ~40 extra HP.

Do you think Intimidate makes up for that?

This is a very nice set Light. I do not currently run Arcanine (nor have I ever actually) but if I get the urge to use him I will give this set some serious consideration. It is clearly well thought out and I do like what it can do to most of the big threats in the metagame.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You're nuts, Light. But it's people like you and Obi that lead to awesome ways of thinking and movesets that rock. Great set.

Light, this is so crazy it just might work...how well would this work against Tyranitar, I wonder?

Pros:
Intimidate
WoW
HP Ground

Cons:
Sandstorm
Weak to Stone Edge or EQ
Ttar could have Taunt or Dragon Dance

Hm, anyway, this set is definately worth testing!

Light, this is so crazy it just might work...how well would this work against Tyranitar, I wonder?

Pros:
Intimidate
WoW
HP Ground

Cons:
Sandstorm
Weak to Stone Edge or EQ
Ttar could have Taunt or Dragon Dance
STEALTH ROCK

Hm, anyway, this set is definately worth testing!
SR seems to be the biggest thing hindering this. taking 25% for nothing on every switch seems to hinder this since it doesn't pack recovery. then again, if SR gets banned like you proposed...

anyways, I'm liking this set, and I may try it out sooner or later. kinda reminds me of bulkraptor, but with roar over roost. it could work.

Excellent stuff. I'll try this out, thanks!

SR seems to be the biggest thing hindering this. taking 25% for nothing on every switch seems to hinder this since it doesn't pack recovery.
At least it has Leftovers and can generally hang around for a few turns...

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The set is cool, good for the surprise factor (take THAT, Gyarados!) and all, but Fire-types are forever doomed to suck. :(

Arcanine has always been a great pokemon with only its typing holding it back...its good to see someone getting some use out of it! Its cool to see that people are still thinking of kooky new ways to use things, and I'm seconding Jabba's notion. I want you to post 3 other new sets so that I can make a team Light.

Even though I honestly do love the set, I still think you're crazy, Light :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)